Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Lost is probably my favorite character because you get all devil deals for free. There are some disgusting combos with a little bit of luck.

Speaking of, ai don't really like OP runs because I find them boring. However last night I got Soy Milk, Pyro and Flaming Shot really early. That was fun as hell but I didn't bother trying to kill Delirium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just wanted to repost my questions so they don't get lost on the last page:

1. Anyone know what the Book of Revelations/bor method is that I've seen some people post about (e: not here, elsewhere on the internet, sorry)? In the context of somehow manipulating item spawns or the RNG for special items or something

2. Anyone familiar with the Xbox crash to dash bug I've been getting increasingly often when picking up a pedestal item? I've googled it a bunch over the years and haven't found any answers. It seems like a Known/Won't Fix issue but would love if anyone knows anything about it.

I've considered uninstalling/clearing cache/reinstalling but I'm paranoid I'd lose my save.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 6, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

1. Anyone know what the Book of Revelations/bor method is that I've seen some people post about (e: not here, elsewhere on the internet, sorry)? In the context of somehow manipulating item spawns or the RNG for special items or something.

When you use the Book of Revelations on a floor where there isn't a set boss (so not depths 2, womb 2, etc) and you haven't fought the boss yet, the chance of the boss being the Horseman associated with that floor is greatly increased. For this reason, if you want to get four Cubes of Meat or four Balls of Bandages (each of which unlocks an item) then getting the Book of Revelations early is the best way to do that, at least in vanilla. With Afterbirth you can get it with a Box of Friends and batteries, and in Afterbirth+ getting four meat cubes is a cinch with the potato peeler.

Not that you need any more reason to pick up the Book of Revelations, it is already among the best active items in the game. Oh, and on top of all that, it increases your devil room chance as long as you're holding it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i really dont like book of rev forcing a horseman fight because i usually am good with just the Lv1 cube/ball

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

1. Anyone know what the Book of Revelations/bor method is that I've seen some people post about (e: not here, elsewhere on the internet, sorry)? In the context of somehow manipulating item spawns or the RNG for special items or something

The only thing I can think of, other then the horseman thing is if you have the D6, rerolling libraries is usually the easiest way to cycle items out of the pool. Obviously not that helpful with suicide king. For Suicide King, just be running forward when you shoot off Ipecac though and you'lll build shot speed enough that the boomerang effect shouldn't be a problem. if you luck into the shot speed trinket (whip worm i think?) it just becomes a normal ipecac run. Obviously, Brimstone or Mom's Knife trivialize that challenge as well.

I've been going through the game again on switch cause its been a few years and the new content on the horizon got me back into it. I'm now at the point where all I have left is Lost Boss rush, Lost mega Satan, Lost Delerium, Ultra Hard, and speed. so basically gently caress my life.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 7, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Last item I need is Eye of Greed, which is secret room only. Broke Greed 3 times in the last two days, first one I passed Chaos because I thought it was in the regular item pool, second I was using d100 and forgot too check if my passives ever ticked over to chaos, and third I just never got a battery after finding the d20 :(.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tofu Injection posted:

Obviously, Brimstone or Mom's Knife trivialize that challenge as well.

Worth noting the Brim + Ipecac interaction is version dependent. Base game only Brim will overwrite it completely, but with DLCs you'll still fire off the exploding shots AND be saddled with a gigantic tear delay on the Brim laser.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I never found the "you can take every devil deal" feature of The Lost that big because I can virtually always take every deal I actually want on whatever character. Yeah I'll skip junk like brother bobby or my shadow that I might have taken as the lost, but if you're good at hp management it's easy enough to never take red heart damage and take a ton of devil deals.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah I'll skip junk like brother bobby

Never skip Bobby or Maggie, devil deals is one of the easiest ways to get conjoined transformation.

always skip moms knife, it's lacking a lot of fun synergies with tear effects :tipshat:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Never skip Bobby or Maggie, devil deals is one of the easiest ways to get conjoined transformation.

always skip moms knife, it's lacking a lot of fun synergies with tear effects :tipshat:

I'd take 1 red heart over conjoined most of the time, tbh.

Agreed about mom's knife though, sure it will usually make you a lot stronger but it leads to super boring runs.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Speaking of both The Lost and the Ventricle Razor, the combination of the two become amazing once you unlock Holy Mantle for The Lost. Pop one end of the portal every time you clear a room, then the other as soon as you enter a room full of enemies. If you do get hit, use your invincibility frames to book it back to your portal. Then pop right back over with a refreshed Holy Mantle. Congrats, you're essentially invincible unless you get an unlucky double-tap or something catches you before you pop smoke and escape.

Also kinda-sorta works for The Keeper if you leave coins on the floor throughout the level, though Wooden Nickel is still my preferred alternative until I can grind out a Swallowed Penny or buy a Piggybank.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tofu Injection posted:

The only thing I can think of, other then the horseman thing is if you have the D6, rerolling libraries is usually the easiest way to cycle items out of the pool. Obviously not that helpful with suicide king. For Suicide King, just be running forward when you shoot off Ipecac though and you'lll build shot speed enough that the boomerang effect shouldn't be a problem. if you luck into the shot speed trinket (whip worm i think?) it just becomes a normal ipecac run. Obviously, Brimstone or Mom's Knife trivialize that challenge as well.

Ariong posted:

When you use the Book of Revelations on a floor where there isn't a set boss (so not depths 2, womb 2, etc) and you haven't fought the boss yet, the chance of the boss being the Horseman associated with that floor is greatly increased. For this reason, if you want to get four Cubes of Meat or four Balls of Bandages (each of which unlocks an item) then getting the Book of Revelations early is the best way to do that, at least in vanilla. With Afterbirth you can get it with a Box of Friends and batteries, and in Afterbirth+ getting four meat cubes is a cinch with the potato peeler.
Thanks! This clears up a few things.

Also, I finished all the challenges last night. I only had Suicide King and Purist left, and managed to beat both of those in a row. I was feeling my oats so I decided to try and go for the hard boss rush as Lost for the threepeat. Didn't happen but that's fine.

tbh the one major downside to getting the DLC for me is gonna be all the new completion badges for the Lost, though it sounds like I'll be able to start him off with the mantle, which will help a lot

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Honestly don't sweat the new bosses. They can be a slog but generally you're going to know by midway into a run if you're going to be able to steamroll them or if you need to reroll. Boss Rush is way more difficult for me, given the reduced items and not enough time to invest in breaking a store early on. Hush is overwhelming at first but has predictable, generally slow attacks and it's just an attrition fight due to her HP pool and armor. Delirium is just chaos but by then you've either got the stats or you don't. Ultra Greed is annoying until you learn to break Greed Mode and roll in with explosive protection, at which point he's an utter chump.

Edit: The real boss of the expansions is the goddamn loving Matriarch jesus gently caress why

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
gently caress the Matriarch.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

With a few tweaks (less HP and fewer spawns or spawns based on time rather than damage), the Matriarch could be a good boss fight for earlier areas. What sucks rear end about her is that she's positioned in the Womb, right where a good run is hitting stride, and actively punishes you if you've got high DPS by flooding you with chubs.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Hot take, with the note that I have over 2000 hours in this game, but The Matriarch is one of my favorite boss designs. It's a good bullet hell type of boss, and its patterns are actually kind of predictable. The problem is Isaac is so random you don't see it enough to practice, it's way different than other bosses, and if your run is struggling it's likely to ruin you.

The spawning adds based on damage reminds me of Flash Isaac where the Isaac boss would shoot back on you as fast as your tear rate, so having a high tear rate was good on everything except that boss.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

tbh the one major downside to getting the DLC for me is gonna be all the new completion badges for the Lost, though it sounds like I'll be able to start him off with the mantle, which will help a lot

The upside is once you get the mantle for the Lost and then unlock the Keeper, you will forget about why you hated the Lost.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The Keeper is a slog unless you get Swallowed Penny or Piggybank ASAP. With those he can become broken as a torch is all you need to generate infinite money and abuse reroll machines and hope for a Restock, as well as vending machines for beneficial pills and consumables.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Slumming my way through the PC version to try and get 100000% before Repentance and just had the dream run. Used Diplopia on a steam sale in the store, so managed to get everything for free. Bombed the reroll machine and the immediate next item was a restock. Managed to grab a lot of items I didn't have on my checklist from that.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Reminder that piggy back as keeper has reduced chances to pay out so if you only have that item it is still in your best interest to avoid as much damage as possible and try to finagle your way int9 getting swallowed penny

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Infinite money if you can get both though.

Also, even though a swallowed penny works every time, you can get hit again before you can grab it, it doesn't make you invincible.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Swallowed penny makes things doable but not particularily fun. I actuallly won my Keeper Delerium run without it, though I did have nuns habit car battery for the nickle, for most of the run, then picked up head of the keeper on Womb2.

alll I have left now is Lost Delerium, Speed and Ultra Hard, so I'm missing any run that isn't one of those.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Got my 1000000% tonight, so see y'all for the expansion, I guess.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another all around good way to break the game (but particularly relevant for Lost and Keeper) is by pulling together the right set of shop items to make you functionally impossible to kill.

Algiz Rune + Blank Card + Car Battery + Tarot Cloth will give you 2 whole minutes of total invincibility. Add battery support items and you'll basically never not have it fully charged, but it's especially great for Boss Rush and Greed Mode as-is.

Blanket's boss room Holy Mantle effect stacks with actual Holy Mantle. Losing either one of those shields counts as a hit for the purposes of Stop Watch slowing down the room. Presumably a Holy Card (or Blank Rune + Holy Card, natch) could get you even further, but I guess by the time you've unlocked those it's not important anymore...

Unicorn Stump + literally any decent orbital + BFFs will let you clear 99% of normal rooms with zero risk and most non-super bosses as well.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 8, 2020

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm cruising through the Basement II for the zillionth time and I see sun beams from the top of some rooms. I've never noticed this ever before. Are these beams significant?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, gang. I have two things left to complete with The Lost -- Delirium and Mega Satan. I ended up beating Satan with an arsenal of great items, I had the two halves of the key and was ready to take on Mega Satan. But when I jumped in the chest, the game just ended. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I've beat Mega Satan with all but three characters and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything different this time around. I'm playing on hard, obviously. Or maybe not obviously but I am.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm cruising through the Basement II for the zillionth time and I see sun beams from the top of some rooms. I've never noticed this ever before. Are these beams significant?

Only in the starting room, if you kill the Basement I boss within 1 minute of starting the run.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

credburn posted:

Hey, gang. I have two things left to complete with The Lost -- Delirium and Mega Satan. I ended up beating Satan with an arsenal of great items, I had the two halves of the key and was ready to take on Mega Satan. But when I jumped in the chest, the game just ended. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I've beat Mega Satan with all but three characters and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything different this time around. I'm playing on hard, obviously. Or maybe not obviously but I am.

Did you pick up The Negative after the Mom fight?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Only in the starting room, if you kill the Basement I boss within 1 minute of starting the run.

That's probably it. I was running the forgotten and on the first floor I found crickets head and quad shot. The boss was pin and I killed it with one shot. Thanks.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Greenplastic posted:

Did you pick up The Negative after the Mom fight?

Ah gently caress I just realized I used a trap fuckin door to escape from the fuckin boss rush gently caress

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why did you go into the Boss Rush before picking up the Polaroid/Negative?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I was probably just close to the wall that opened and I was still in gotta-go-fast mode or I don't know.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Friend of mine told me to hold off on getting AB and AB+ to prevent from having my Isaac experience ruined, I didn't listen to him and now I deeply regret it. From item pools diluted with terrible poo poo to tiny rooms with bosses and constant unavoidable damage to Greed, everything in the dlc's look half-assed. I don't think I've ever re-rolled this much in a game at the start of, well, almost every run now and characters with slow starts (Isaac, Maddy, etc) just became an absolute chore to play. Sure at some point you're going to break your run but there's a bit too much fishing involved atm.

I have to say vanilla Rebirth was too easy for my taste but this is not the kind of challenge I was hoping for. Tiny rooms with champion exploding flies can go gently caress themselves forever.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Afterbirth was a huge improvement. + not so much.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

didn't they change it so the expansion enemies and stuff don't start showing up until you've unlocked them through successful runs or did that only apply to a couple of things?
the item pool dilution is a real issue though and it's a big reason why I haven't played in a while, it felt like most of my runs I was just getting garbage items and would be stuck tediously trudging through doing no damage to anything. Repentance will help a bit with this since Antibirth's items are generally really good but unless they do some major rebalancing of the current item pools and fix a ton of lovely items it will probably still be an issue.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This mod sounds kind of useful in that regard; apparently it lets you simply remove any number of items, trinkets, pills and cards from their respective pools.
I'm kinda surprised that there don't seem to be any curated item lists with corresponding mods floating around, given that item pool dilution is one of the most frequent complaints about the game.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 12, 2020

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Unicorn Stump + literally any decent orbital + BFFs will let you clear 99% of normal rooms with zero risk and most non-super bosses as well.

Yup. Had an Eden run recently with Unicorn Stump and Sacrificial Dagger. You almost never need to fire a tear before the Womb

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
yeah ab is great, ab+ is where it gets dicey

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

AB+ has some very good items items, but post booster pack #5, almost all of them are locked behind character unlocks or weird tasks (like eat 5 Gulp! pills in one run). A fresh AB+-install definitely makes most item pools worse, until you unlock the game changers like Euthanasia, Smelter, Marbles, Schoolbag, Haemolacria, etc.

also Forgotten is currently the best DLC character in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Only non weird rear end achievent thing I have left is Speed!

How the gently caress did I beat this the first time? This challenge is insane.