Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

George Kansas posted:

This is good to know. The more I think about it, if I'm aiming for a car newer than 2015 I would probably be best served to either try to get one just off lease (which seems possible but also more difficult than with other cars because CR-V's and Rav4's are very popular apparently???) or just buy new which I don't really want to do because I have $14k saved up and I think it would be a lot better to take out a 1-2 year loan to cover the difference + taxes and such rather than try to get a 4+ year loan just so I could buy new.

I think a 2012-2014 CR-V with <70k miles is gonna be what I'm looking for, then. Thanks!

The wonky depreciation curves on CR-Vs is why that's the only new car I've ever bought. 1-2 year old used ones hardly go for any less than new because apparently people get stupid.

The only actual mechanical failures mine ever had were both AC related - the blower motor (cheap and easy) and the expansion valve (cheap, absolute bastard of a job). Regular maintenance jobs were all cake. Replaced the steering wheel because it was literally wearing away, had a random chrome piece just fall off, and the VTEC actuator was noisy on cold startups. That last one is a common thing on Hondas of that vintage but I've never heard of it going beyond "it's noisy". It's the kind of thing I'd have done when it's due for a valve adjustment at 100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Google has not helped me find the answer to this, so I figured I'd ask here.

What does it mean when the Carfax report says that the vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision and not damaged? There is an associated claim listed for $0. Is this car still something to avoid? It appears to have been a tester or a courtesy car for the dealership at the time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tagesschau posted:

Google has not helped me find the answer to this, so I figured I'd ask here.

What does it mean when the Carfax report says that the vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision and not damaged? There is an associated claim listed for $0. Is this car still something to avoid? It appears to have been a tester or a courtesy car for the dealership at the time.

I would assume there was a police report filed of the accident, but no insurance claim. The dealership may have fixed it themselves and just ate the cost.

That probably means it wasn't too serious and the damage was mostly cosmetic, but not necessarily. The car might even have been undamaged and the front end of the other car took it all (like if it ran into a trailer hitch or something). If they ate the cost of a more extensive repair, there's a reason they didn't want the insurance company to know about it and that reason probably isn't good. That scenario seems less likely, but possible.

I would put in the second tier of cars - a fall back if nothing better appears. It's probably OK, but there's uncertainty and risk associated with it that is better to avoid if you can. A yellow flag, I guess, rather than a red flag.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
So our 2013 CRV was just stolen last night and I doubt they're going to find it. We didn't have comprehensive coverage on it because it's been paid off for years and has like 170k miles on it, so I don't think we're getting anything from insurance for this aside from whatever was in the car.

Proposed Budget:15-20k. Although I'd love for it to be much less.
New or Used: Most likely used. Might try to talk my mom into selling me her Odyssey.
Body Style: Minivan
How will you be using the car?:
Mostly for errands and taking the kids places. This thing is not going to wrack up a lot of miles. Whenever daycare is safe again it's less than 2 miles away and once both kids are going to school all 3 schools from kindergarten through high school are within a mile of us.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability and cost of ownership.

Open to something besides a minivan, but would need to have at least as much room as the CR-V. We're still in the world of strollers and craploads of kid stuff so we need the extra space. A van seems more appealing instead of a SUV just because it's lower and easier to get the kids in and out of car seats.

Holy poo poo. They actually found the car and all that's missing is 1 car seat.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 7, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

I would assume there was a police report filed of the accident, but no insurance claim. The dealership may have fixed it themselves and just ate the cost.

That probably means it wasn't too serious and the damage was mostly cosmetic, but not necessarily. The car might even have been undamaged and the front end of the other car took it all (like if it ran into a trailer hitch or something). If they ate the cost of a more extensive repair, there's a reason they didn't want the insurance company to know about it and that reason probably isn't good. That scenario seems less likely, but possible.

I would put in the second tier of cars - a fall back if nothing better appears. It's probably OK, but there's uncertainty and risk associated with it that is better to avoid if you can. A yellow flag, I guess, rather than a red flag.
There's also a possibility that neither car sustained damage, but some people are stupid enough to call and file a police report for something like that. Or try to sue insurance for whiplash or whatever ambulance chaser lawyers attempt to do. Either way, the car is probably fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shyfted One posted:

So our 2013 CRV was just stolen last night and I doubt they're going to find it. We didn't have comprehensive coverage on it because it's been paid off for years and has like 170k miles on it, so I don't think we're getting anything from insurance for this aside from whatever was in the car.

Proposed Budget:15-20k. Although I'd love for it to be much less.
New or Used: Most likely used. Might try to talk my mom into selling me her Odyssey.
Body Style: Minivan
How will you be using the car?:
Mostly for errands and taking the kids places. This thing is not going to wrack up a lot of miles. Whenever daycare is safe again it's less than 2 miles away and once both kids are going to school all 3 schools from kindergarten through high school are within a mile of us.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability and cost of ownership.

Open to something besides a minivan, but would need to have at least as much room as the CR-V. We're still in the world of strollers and craploads of kid stuff so we need the extra space. A van seems more appealing instead of a SUV just because it's lower and easier to get the kids in and out of car seats.

Holy poo poo. They actually found the car and all that's missing is 1 car seat.

Serious question, how much more is theft/comp? That's like like a $7-8k car, which I'd probably consider worth insuring.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
As an aside, belongings in a stolen car could typically be covered by your home or renters insurance, as those policies provide worldwide personal property coverage. That said, home/renters policies are generally more sensitive to claims history than auto insurance (in terms of being non-renewed or declined new coverage later), so you typically want to save that for larger issues, like home robberies or fires.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Definitely going to find out now what it would cost to add it. I don't want to have to replace this car any time soon.

Edit: Yeah, the contents of the car would be covered under our homeowners policy, but it's not even worth going through with the claim.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

As an aside, belongings in a stolen car could typically be covered by your home or renters insurance, as those policies provide worldwide personal property coverage. That said, home/renters policies are generally more sensitive to claims history than auto insurance (in terms of being non-renewed or declined new coverage later), so you typically want to save that for larger issues, like home robberies or fires.

I love how insurance in all situations will penalize you for using it. The roof on my house had hail damage and needed to be replaced and I just ended up paying out of pocket because the deductible was so high that I would have only saved like $500 and it would have been a strike on my record.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
FYI - If you order a car thru Vroom, you might want to google the vin first.
Friend of mine bought a 2015 Acura MDX last week for a decent price. Battery was dead on the delivery truck and had to be jumped multiple times. He called me over and the first thing I noticed was the 500cca battery in place of a stock 700cca. We went and bought a new one at Costco, and it drained the battery in about 3 hours. Something parasitic. Jumped it and put it on a trickle charger, it drained faster than it charged. Did a little googling and they bought it from Mannheim Las Vegas even though the clean Carfax was from the east coast. We also starting finding broken trim pieces that were glued back on, and some sketchy residue coming from the tailpipe. My guess is an unreported water damage, but could not find anything obvious.
Vroom is picking it back up today and waiving the $600 delivery charge. When asked they said it will prob just go back to auction since the title is clean. I told him to write REDRUM on the makeup mirror in lip balm before they pick it up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Serious question, how much more is theft/comp? That's like like a $7-8k car, which I'd probably consider worth insuring.

Based on my recent experience selling one in The Beforetimes, call it $6500 because people get scared of the mileage. But at the same time comprehensive was loving dirt cheap on it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

I love how insurance in all situations will penalize you for using it. The roof on my house had hail damage and needed to be replaced and I just ended up paying out of pocket because the deductible was so high that I would have only saved like $500 and it would have been a strike on my record.

Being extremely volatile and discouraging claims means they can charge lower rates upfront => people only shop based on upfront rates => race to the bottom => gently caress capitalism.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Proposed Budget: 35k-55k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Small/Midsize SUV
How will you be using the car?: Veterinarian, will need to commute every day reliably, fit a dog, and otherwise have decent space/comfort
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership, comfort, space. Hybrid a plus.

Trying to shop for my sister 'cause I don't know a whole lot about the segment she's looking at. Her budget is kinda all over, I gave her the bog standard recs of Rav4, CRV, Forrester, CX-3/5 She did not like the CRV or Forrester, and otherwise likes the Rav4, but supposedly the dealers are being assholes to her. Said they aren't willing to put anything on paper or otherwise be flexible in any way. She has started to look at up-market luxury options, like the Lexus UX, Porsche Macan, BMW X1, Audi Q8, and Volvo XC60. My inclination is to tell her to avoid the BMW/Audi/Volvo like the plague, but I could be wrong. The Macan and UX seem reliable enough, but I'm not entirely sure. Anything I'm missing?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Scionix posted:

She has started to look at up-market luxury options, like the Lexus UX, Porsche Macan, BMW X1, Audi Q8, and Volvo XC60. My inclination is to tell her to avoid the BMW/Audi/Volvo like the plague, but I could be wrong. The Macan and UX seem reliable enough, but I'm not entirely sure. Anything I'm missing?

An X1 and a Q8 are at the opposite ends of the pricing scale. Audi make a Q5 hybrid (Q5 55 tfsi-e) that would be in budget. I expect Kyoon to be in shortly with info on reliability but I'd think it would be a great car. My brother had an X1 and it was frankly pretty dreadful and he's switched it for a Skoda Kodiaq (which I know you can't get in the US but is a great car).

A new Macan will go out of budget as soon as you touch the options list, there's a hybrid version coming out next year but will for sure be out of budget. People love Macans, but it will be a step up in running costs even compared to the other German options. It basically meets none of your criteria of "Reliability, cost of ownership, comfort, space. Hybrid a plus."

A colleague has just got an XC60 and loves it. There's a plug-in hybrid version that is just in budget.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hello, you rang? In general, the Germans are going to be less reliable and more expensive. If she is planning to say, lease the car for three odd years, then it doesn't matter. But it sounds like she is planning to buy outright and drive it in to the ground, in which case you should exclude all of the Euros.

Usually when people say "reliable" what they tend to mean is "i don't want to have to think about maintaining my car and i don't want there to be much maintenance cost." I have a 20 year old BMW with questionable prior owners, and it's technically reliable. It doesn't break and it always gets me where I need to go. However, it has an ambitious scheduled maintenance program that has to be followed rigorously, and it eats other parts. It's costly to keep on the road, but it doesn't break unexpectedly. If her definition of reliable is "i don't want to spend money or think about maintaining my car" then she should avoid the Euro brands.

It would probably be helpful to know what your sister did not like about the CR-V and the Forester. Not enough power? Weird interfaces? Bad sightlines? Didn't like the styling? Not comfortable? Doesn't project the right image? Since she's moving upmarket I am inclined to think this is a bit of an image thing as top trim mass market cars are really nice inside these days.

Quick hits on the cars you've suggested:
Macan is a great car and decently reliable but if "fun to drive" wasn't #1 on the list, followed by "stuntin and flexin" it's paying a massive significant premium for benefits she doesn't care about.
Lexus UX is loving tiny and stupid, but probably reliable. See below for better option (NX Hybrid).
Audi Q8 it's the size of a loving aircraft carrier and will fit a Qiverfull family and all their gear. Extremely expensive, and not aligned with the rest of her requirements. If she actually meant the Q3, the Q3 is a tiny hateful piece of poo poo with an Audi badge. If you want to pay more money for a smaller, shittier Tiguan, go nuts.
BMW X1 just say no to modern BMWs, full of cost cutting, not reliable, and with few advantages over the competition.
XC 60 Nice cars, extremely unreliable and the only way I would own a five year old one is if you gave it to me for free

Hybrids:
RAV4 as discussed. Surprised dealers are unwilling to work with her.
CR-V as discussed.
Ford Escape is new and the hybrid is supposedly good. However, Ford has hosed up every single recent product launch and is on track to do so again, so I wouldn't buy one until next MY at the earliest.
Lexus NX is an actually livable size and available as a hybrid for about 40k.
Toyota Highlander its bigger than the RAV4 in case she is intersted
Toyota Venza a bit more upscale than the RAV4
Q5 hybrid i have not driven one but the regular Q5 is tolerably reliable and well liked by suburban soccer moms and dads across the northern part of the US. if i were going to buy a hybrid car and see it to end of life I would pretty much only buy a Toyota/Lexus.

Other options:
Acura RDX - relatively sporty, likely more reliable than the Euros.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why did you exclude Hyundai from that list?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Is the Mazda CX-5 sold in your market? The top trims with the turbo engine make it pretty much as nice and powerful as any of the mid-level luxury SUVs, and much nicer and more powerful than most of the entry-level luxury SUVs. Cheaper to buy, and definitely cheaper to own/maintain/repair as well. And at least IMO better looking than most SUVs, too (a low bar).

But it doesn't have a glowing light up Mercedes arrow on the bonnet to flex on the poors, so :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Why did you exclude Hyundai from that list?

no hybrids, although I guess I threw the RDX in there

edit: i also don't think they're really super compelling in compact/mid SUV. if we were talking three row or subcompact SUV sure, but in compact/mid they just win on price IMO and it's not even that advantageous at this point

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 9, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Guinness posted:

Is the Mazda CX-5 sold in your market? The top trims with the turbo engine make it pretty much as nice and powerful as any of the mid-level luxury SUVs, and much nicer and more powerful than most of the entry-level luxury SUVs. Cheaper to buy, and definitely cheaper to own/maintain/repair as well. And at least IMO better looking than most SUVs, too (a low bar).

But it doesn't have a glowing light up Mercedes arrow on the bonnet to flex on the poors, so :shrug:

Only downside of the cx5 would be the small back cargo space for me. We have a rav4 and it’s noticeably larger back there.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nwin posted:

Only downside of the cx5 would be the small back cargo space for me. We have a rav4 and it’s noticeably larger back there.

Sure, it's not the largest, but it's larger than most subcompact/compact luxury SUVs, especially the hybrids that tradeoff cargo capacity to store batteries.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Ty for the help!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Proposed Budget: up to $200K

New or Used: ok with new or gently used

Body Style: 2-door, convertible preferred

How will you be using the car?: part-time commuter (70-mile commute lol), part-time track car (once a month maybe), occasionally will have two pups in it

What aspects are most important to you? Driving experience. Ideally I'd like a naturally aspirated, manual transmission convertible, but it might not be possible to get all three. Also I don't want anything more than 4-5 years old as I'm not handy, which rules out obvious candidates like the Ferrari F430 Spyder. Currently thinking about, in rough order of preference: Lamborghini Huracan LP580-2 Spyder (sadly dual clutch only), 991.2 Porsche GT3 (sadly no folding roof), Porsche 718 Spyder (almost perfect except for that loving top), Aston Martin V12 Vantage Roadster (heavy, not the best driving dynamics), Ferrari Portofino (dual clutch only, handles well, a little boring)

Any other cars to consider?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tough to think of anything else - late model C7 ZR1 is convertible, manual, and formidable on the track, but I'm not convinced I would want one as a 70 mile commuter, and if you haven't already considered the Corvette I think you're probably not interested. R8 Spyder manual could do the trick, as could its platform mate the Gallardo LP550-2 (although I think the LP550 is highly coveted for being The Last Manual Lambo, and you have to go a bit further back to about 10 years old). Also, none of these cars are gently used.

I would encourage you to look a bit older where there are more cars available that meet your requirements. Yes, you will incur servicing costs, but you're talking about dropping 200 bills on a car. You can probably afford it, and your annuals on a newer car will be just as expensive as on an older car. I'm not convinced the total cost to own a F430 Spyder manual is all that much more than say, a Portofino, over 10 years, and even if it is, better to own what you want for 10 years than something that's a compromise, provided you can afford it. looks over at 1" high pile of paperwork for M5 and smiles serenely

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If I had $house to drop on a car, I don't think I'd try to jack-of-all-trades a supercar when one of the requirements is a 70 mile commute, but I am apparently an old now who thinks about things like "how is my back going to feel after an hour+ one way".

I'd buy a luxobarge for the commute, maybe even one with a stupid amount of horsepower, and an actual track toy (or rent one) that will go faster with less power.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Probably what I would do as well, but that wasn't the ask. Probably keep the E39 and buy an Elise.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I admit that I've only ever driven one car with a six-figure MSRP and a carbon fiber tub (BMW i8) but even just getting in and out of that on the regular would drive me up the wall.

If I absolutely had to make one car do both, I'd be eyeballing something less "super/hypercar" and more "super sedan". AMG / BMW M.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 9, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The GT3, 718, and the Vantage are pretty comfortable, GT3 probably the least so of the three. The Huracan is a pain to get in and out of.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Proposed Budget: $30,000 - $40,000 but needing something pretty impressive to push me toward the higher end
New or Used: New or lightly used. A warranty is nice.
Body Style: Hatchback, wagon, sedan, coupe
How will you be using the car?: Honestly not for much right now. I don't currently commute and if I start again it will likely be ~15 minutes. I would use it to run errands and extend the range of places I can go. I love driving for fun, exploring new areas and taking the long way to get places, but I don't really have plans to track my car or anything. I rarely have any passengers.
What aspects are most important to you? Fun is the most important but any practicality is much appreciated, I do occasionally like to cram a lot of poo poo into my car. To that end, manual transmission is probably the most important thing to me. You could maybe convince me that something like a C43 is a super fun automatic car, but I think the contenders in my price range are few. I've mostly excluded older used cars from my searches for a combination of reliability and modern technology. This will be my only car and I don't need it fully loaded but I would love CarPlay or at the very least Bluetooth audio. Modern safety features, particularly auto cruise control and braking, are a big plus too but I realize that they're rare on manuals.

So my 10 year-old Subaru Impreza hatchback was totaled in January and I've been carless since. It was very practical and relatively fun for what it was but I've always wanted something that was more of a driver's car. Since then I've gone through a progression of choices:

WRX - I loved my Subaru so I was pretty sure that this was the obvious choice. I test drove it and it didn't really do much for me. Annoying rev hang and mediocre transmission. Looks OK. I just don't love it like I love the older WRXs.

Golf R - This seemed like the perfect car and it still sort of does. Pricey, but I was willing to go closer to $40k because it seemed like a more premium product. All the driver safety tech on a manual was a big plus. Unfortunately I waited too long and they're gone now. Used options I've seen haven't been too appealing.

After the Golf R disappeared on me I started to reconsider my hardline AWD stance which left pretty much only the WRX and used cars. I love AWD but I know I don't really need it for winter and I think I'm doing myself a disservice by blindly insisting on it.

Used m240i - At this point it seemed like new cars were hopeless so I kind of switched gears and thought that I could instead get a nicer car that was used. There are still very few options in manual though. It was really difficult to find these in manual and with desirable options at a good price. I didn't go to look at these in person but I felt like I was trying to like it based on the specs but not feeling much emotion.

At this point I also considered used Audi S3s and S4s and Mercedes C43s in automatic, but they're much more expensive than I thought and it's again really hard to find them specced the way you want. They're fast and the luxury is nice but I think I'd find myself missing the driving experience when I'm going through some forest twisties. Same with the BMW, which I never test drove but I've heard a lot of negatives about modern BMW steering.

Veloster N - I went to a dealer and test drove one and it really highlighted all of the pros for me and helped to diminish some of my concerns about the cons. I wasn't too bothered by the interior quality or comfort and the thing is a hoot. I was hoping I could get one for cheap but all of the dealers near me were firm on MSRP and then I decided I would wait when they announced the 2021 ones with the new seats and added tech. Except it was just revealed that they're $2500 more than the 2020 models and I'm not sure about availability, so maybe I shouldn't have waited.

Honorable mention goes to the Civic Type R which everyone tells me to look at after I mention the Veloster. It's not quite my taste but I'd definitely consider if it were more reasonable to get. I've pretty much ignored it because availability is dire and even if I found one I doubt I could get it for under $40k.

Now that I'm down on the Veloster, I've gone into extreme "gently caress it" mode and decided I want a Miata. I've looked at them occasionally throughout my searches and I know they drive great, but I never took the idea totally seriously because the tiny 2-seater thing seems like a dealbreaker. But I am starting to question how much of a dealbreaker it is, I drive solo 95% of the time. The only time I can think that I actually want 2 passengers is when my parents visit me, like, once a year. I filled my hatchback sometimes, helping people move and stuff or buying a bunch of big things, but it mostly seemed like I did it because I could and it's not a regular part of my life. I love going to Costco, but I think I could probably fit even one of my bigger solo-person Costco hauls into the Miata trunk and passenger area. I still need to go to a dealer to make sure I fit nicely in one though (6'2"ish).

Tell me to get a Miata everybody. Tell me that practicality is for suckers and that my circumstances where I can own a dumb car will only diminish in the future.

Ror fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 9, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely try the Miata — they're so fun and given your needs not that impractical. Just rent a car when your folks are in town. I like practical too and had a mazdaspeed mx5 as my only vehicle for several years and it was never really an issue. Having a convertible makes a lot of things that are boring (straight road errands and whatnot) more fun than they'd be in a fun hardtop car too. Now I need a larger vehicle for work and dream of the day I can justify a second car.

edit: and yeah, it is absolutely a car to have while it works with your circumstances and if it DOES work it's not really impractical. When I had one was a perfect time for it and I'm really glad I did get to enjoy it then as it'd be tough for me to make work now even as a second vehicle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would encourage you to look a bit older where there are more cars available that meet your requirements. Yes, you will incur servicing costs, but you're talking about dropping 200 bills on a car. You can probably afford it, and your annuals on a newer car will be just as expensive as on an older car. I'm not convinced the total cost to own a F430 Spyder manual is all that much more than say, a Portofino, over 10 years, and even if it is, better to own what you want for 10 years than something that's a compromise, provided you can afford it. looks over at 1" high pile of paperwork for M5 and smiles serenely

I agree with this a lot, the other thing is even if you put miles on a gated 430, it's not really going to hurt its residual at all (as long as you buy one with some miles already), whereas a portofino is going to be really hurting whenever you go to turn that around. It will certainly lose some value if you full on commute and put frequent track miles, but nothing like a portofino will.

(I also agree because boy am I jealous and would love to be struggling to make that decision. Though for your budget as was also brought up, a pretty nice luxury commuter that will eat depreciation combined with your fun weekend/track toy and fair-weather friday commuter that will hold value and be the majority of your spend seems like it makes more sense?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

Proposed Budget: up to $200K

New or Used: ok with new or gently used

Body Style: 2-door, convertible preferred

How will you be using the car?: part-time commuter (70-mile commute lol), part-time track car (once a month maybe), occasionally will have two pups in it

What aspects are most important to you? Driving experience. Ideally I'd like a naturally aspirated, manual transmission convertible, but it might not be possible to get all three. Also I don't want anything more than 4-5 years old as I'm not handy, which rules out obvious candidates like the Ferrari F430 Spyder. Currently thinking about, in rough order of preference: Lamborghini Huracan LP580-2 Spyder (sadly dual clutch only), 991.2 Porsche GT3 (sadly no folding roof), Porsche 718 Spyder (almost perfect except for that loving top), Aston Martin V12 Vantage Roadster (heavy, not the best driving dynamics), Ferrari Portofino (dual clutch only, handles well, a little boring)

Any other cars to consider?

If you're actually going to commute in this, buy an R8. If you're lucky, you can even pick up an older one with a manual. You probably need to choose between convertible and tracking it though - many (most?) places won't let you track a convertible without a cage and I honestly wouldn't risk it even if they did.

Or do what I did and buy a GT car for cruising and a track car for beating on. I have a 2016 AM DB9 GT and a 2017 Focus RS that cost me 140k together and I'm having a real hard time thinking of a single car for any price that can be absolutely flogged around a track as well as the RS AND be as comfortable and, let's face it, good looking / sounding as the AM for street driving for ANY budget, much less what those cost me together. If I had 200k to burn and I really wanted a warranty, I'd be buying a Cayman GT4 and a Lexus LC / Jaguar F-Type.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 9, 2020

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you not need some kind of back seat for carrying 2 dogs? How exactly is that going to work with a 2 seater car unless they're chihuahuas or something

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Throatwarbler posted:

Do you not need some kind of back seat for carrying 2 dogs? How exactly is that going to work with a 2 seater car unless they're chihuahuas or something

Dog crate strapped to the roof.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Hahaha I totally missed that. Buy a Panamera or an E63 wagon. Or the new RS wagon!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

E63 wagon and a ~70k track rat

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does the new Corvette come with a stick?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Does the new Corvette come with a stick?

The C8 does not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only new cars you can buy with a manual in the OP's class range are the Porsche 911 and 718. That's it. And EVERYONE says the 718 manual is completely useless everywhere except the track because you literally cannot run out second gear without going to jail.

...Which is why OP should get a 718 GT4 for track purposes and a luxo wagon for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

The only new cars you can buy with a manual in the OP's class range are the Porsche 911 and 718. That's it. And EVERYONE says the 718 manual is completely useless everywhere except the track because you literally cannot run out second gear without going to jail.

...Which is why OP should get a 718 GT4 for track purposes and a luxo wagon for everything else.

There is supposedly like a $10k thing to *fix* the gearbox on the 718, which the gt4 shares, and really should do it anyway since it's still absurdly tall even for the track. I think like 90mph in 2nd? But the gt4 and a GT convertible sounds solid to me.