Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rice is also a good versatile stockpile food.

192 is the sum of ten consecutive primes (5 + 7 + 11 + 13 + 17 + 19 + 23 + 29 + 31 + 37)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Oh man yeah the chocolate smooth is definitely one of the good ones.

Tbh it's so good but all the other ones I've tried are borderline inedible.

I got a free sample of the vegan choc one with my last order, and I tried in my porridge the other day and nearly puked. It was like that video of the gammon sport presenter eating a spoonful of cinnamon. Horrific. Also disappointing cause I'm trying to phase out animal from my life, but I crave that sweet whey

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Rice is also a good versatile stockpile food.

Definitely this, just finished the 10kg sack I bought before lockdown in March

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
French bread.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Buy cheap ham slices and a £20 laminator and laminate each slice individually and then you can store them in a handy folder on your bookshelf

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kecske posted:

no see once you've achieved the optimal design you're supposed to pivot into IP law and sue all your market competitors who have clearly stolen your ideas, ideas that nobody else could have conceived of and certainly not inherently necessary elements, such as 'legs on a table'.
There's no point putting effort into table legs, because post brexit they'll all have to be covered up. This is furniture design basics.

killerwhat posted:

Yeah but somehow semi legal - legal to possess but not sell maybe? Various (normal, not darkweb) websites sell it eg modafinilXL.
Sounds delicious, is this that ADHD medication that slowly fucks your heart up, and you get robbed by meth dealers every ten minutes if they find out you have it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, that's Desoxyn. If you google it you can find the fun reason why you get robbed by meth dealers every ten minutes if they find out you have it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I tried desoxyn but your feet don't half stick to your boots.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Necrothatcher posted:

Took the government's career skills assessment test (https://beta.nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/) to see what job they think I'd be best at

According to them I should become a... professional boxer? well okay. The advice is to "start training with a boxing club and work your way up".

helpful

e: my friend got 'carnival ride operator'.

I got 'estate agent', I think I'm off to have a breakdown.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbh it's so good but all the other ones I've tried are borderline inedible.

I got a free sample of the vegan choc one with my last order, and I tried in my porridge the other day and nearly puked. It was like that video of the gammon sport presenter eating a spoonful of cinnamon. Horrific. Also disappointing cause I'm trying to phase out animal from my life, but I crave that sweet whey

I got a load of the little sample packs of different flavours before, I thought they were generally pretty decent tbh. The coffee/mocha ones were good, as were any of the "natural" ones like Natural Banana. Seem to remember I had one that was like raspberry ripple or something that was not so good - still not awful or anything.

Also the clear whey isolate ones in the fruity flavours were decent. I do think the nicest ones are the flavours that are supposed to be creamy though, so like chocolate, creme brulee, mocha etc.

E: Oh yeah I haven't tried any of the vegan ones, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/1313892716783308800

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's how Rishi's going to get 300,000 people back in work by the end of 2021.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, it looks like noted racist Laurence Fox is being sued by 2 people who he called paedophiles on Twitter.

I hope they don't settle, take him to court, win and he is ruined.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This looks interesting (and on offer), especially the British Countryside Generator, and the creator's statement "That there is horror in the British landscape is undeniable, and I'd like to return to that theme one day"... yes, yes there is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The pays not bad tho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Say what you like, it's a job for life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This looks interesting (and on offer), especially the British Countryside Generator, and the creator's statement "That there is horror in the British landscape is undeniable, and I'd like to return to that theme one day"... yes, yes there is.

You might also be interested in Everyone's Gone To The Rapture and We Happy Few if you like weird brit themed games.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

OwlFancier posted:

Say what you like, it's a job for life.

You are also not expected to do anything but to lie around.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kin posted:

I'm on that already actually. A couple of scoops each day alongside 1/2 a tuna and primula sandwich for lunch. 5kg lasts me about a year at that rate.

I generally eat quite healthy/cost efficiently. It's the loving crisps and "share" bags of chocolate that make me a fat bastard.

edit: powdered milk wasn't something i'd thought about. We go through skimmed milk like it's loving water in this house. We easily drink about 12 pints of milk a wweek between just the two of us.

An alternative to powdered milk is the various non-dairy based milk. Soya Milk, Almond Milk etc...all last much longer than dairy milk. If you are lactose intolernt (sounds like you aren’t) or looking to reduce dairy in your life, it’s a place to start.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You might also be interested in Everyone's Gone To The Rapture and We Happy Few if you like weird brit themed games.
Thank you, I'll take a look.

I have a small collection of horror in the British countryside snaps I took. 'Tis the season and all.

Perfectly normal catte. Miles away from where one should be. Didn't look scared, looked hunting. Probably a farm cat or feral though so not that unsettling.

Americorn. Tons of it. Didn't used to be there. Miles and miles. :ghost:Capitalism.:spooky:

There is no tennis in there. That's how the elves get you.

Very patriotic fleg and human mannequin head in dead tree.

And of course...

Slenderma'am.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

What about the neoliberal wing of labour makes you think they are rationally interested in winning elections by building a united front where all the left and center's interests are represented?

Nothing;

Can I try to explain the misconception that causes you to think that matters?

There is a potential situation where Starmer refuses to implement any good policies despite them being necessary for him to win the election. That is a situation that you or I don’t have any control or influence over. That means we don’t need to worry about it.

There is another situation where Starmer does want to win, offers good but imperfect policies, but the left refuses to vote for him anyway because we are already committed to the idea that he is a bad person. That would be a situation that we do have control over, and so should be prepared for.

The first is Betelgeuse having exploded and a neutrino death wave being on its way; the second is global warming. One is a situation where we are irredeemably hosed and nothing matters. The other is a situation where not only individual action can do at least something, but collective action can plausibly succeed.

The relative likelihood of those two situations, predicted from now, does not matter; you are not voting now. All you need to do is avoid emotionally committing _not_ to vote.

Because no one is an emotionless robot, and such commitments are not easily reversed. At the last election, 60 odd percent of the population were committed to the idea that Corbyn was a bad person, and nothing he could do or say would ever have convinced them otherwise. That’s just how human brains work, and it is a mistake to think you or I are somehow immune to that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

I got a load of the little sample packs of different flavours before, I thought they were generally pretty decent tbh. The coffee/mocha ones were good, as were any of the "natural" ones like Natural Banana. Seem to remember I had one that was like raspberry ripple or something that was not so good - still not awful or anything.

Also the clear whey isolate ones in the fruity flavours were decent. I do think the nicest ones are the flavours that are supposed to be creamy though, so like chocolate, creme brulee, mocha etc.

E: Oh yeah I haven't tried any of the vegan ones, though.

The chocolate caramel is very tasty.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

radmonger posted:

global warming

a situation where not only individual action can do at least something, but collective action can plausibly succeed.

get a load of this guy

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:thunk:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

What the poo poo is this Will Menaker-rear end Karl Marx.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

Cool, she's come out with "online lists" now, so at the very least sounds like our cupboards are at least gonna be overflowing with pasta and coffee.

My diet is primarily high protein based (porridge, milk and meat like chicken/beef, tuna etc) so it's not like i can really stockpile any of that kind of stuff for short term disruption unless unless i buy a deep freezer.

How about getting a couple of those giant tubs of whey powder for body building if you need all that protein?
Longlife milk can be found with a 5 months deadline on it, oats if sealed well should last, and canned fish.
Eggs also last quite a long time contrary to popular belief. As long as they're cooked well (luckily I like my eggs hard boiled and will happily boil them for nearly an hour just to make absolutely sure they won't squirt liquid yolk over me when opened - traumatised by an incident at school when I was 10 here).

Ed: also = know yourself! I daredn't buy anything 'nice' because I will just eat it in one big binge. It has to be food that does not call to me all day and all night until it gets et destroying concentration and drowning out any possibility of doing anything else until I give in.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 7, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Thank you, I'll take a look.

I have a small collection of horror in the British countryside snaps I took. 'Tis the season and all.

Americorn. Tons of it. Didn't used to be there. Miles and miles. :ghost:Capitalism.:spooky:

I saw Children of the Corn and the sequel last week (one of the Roku channels).

I'm also going to get a 'toilet bung' but this is my anti-flood defence preparations. It's like an inflatable thing you put in the bog to stop sewage back flowing up the bog and flooding your home inside (as I'm on the ground floor of this block I don't fancy having backflows of 19 flats backing up my bog though I'd have to move out for the duration I'd rather only have river water to clean up not sewage water.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's definitely weird walking through it. That's with the phone held above my head and I'm over 6', it's unusual to have fields of stuff that tall around here (until recently), and I can see why it gets a lot of film use.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

VideoGames posted:

How do I put succinctly a thought I am having about people who say Labour's loss is through the left not voting? Basically they blame any Labour defeat on the left not voting but they ignore 'swing' voters or the fact that there is an entire group of other people who vote tory.

If they have given up on converting tories because they are too rightwards, why do they think that left people are owed their vote and not the rightwards one? If labour was doing things leftwards that would make a bit more sense to me (I do not think any party is 'owed' my vote) but with all the terrible decisions made by Starmer to appease the centre and the right, why are leftists expected to fall in line and any loss is their fault? Are they scared of rightwing and centre people? Is that why they bully?

I am just sort of trying to understand this odd sentiment.

I don't think anyone can rationally blame the 'the left' for anything because 1. the left barely exists 2. the left is herding cats at the best of times it's not a consistent or coherent block and 3. all the UK leftists voted for Labour in 2017, all the UK leftists voted for Labour in 2019, the difference in outcome simply can't be explained by lefty voters.

The thing is the left does vote for Labour because it's the best option even if it sucks and that isn't necessarily a diss. In 2017 the libs also voted for Labour (and honestly fair play to them, that the libs stayed loyal hasn't really been appreciated/examined), even though it was voting to respect the Brexit ref, because they hadn't had the fake carrot of a second ref dangled under their nose and Labour was the best option even if it sucks. The "rightwards" voters that swung tory for the first time ever were also voting for the best option even if it sucks too btw.

Starmer is courting the voters he deliberately alienated for the 2019 election because he knows that they are valuable and now Brexit is neutralised as a political issue are easily winnable. If the left were a large, consistent, coherent voting block then yeah no poo poo we'd be courted more but we aren't? If that annoys you then build social power, a mass movement that isn't organised around a specific MP would be lovely, while also maximising your potential influence in the Labour Party.

There's also that the establishment media apparatus in the UK is insanely right wing and yes that is partly why they bully. An Idiot Poor Racist is a much more desirable outcome than an Intersectional Working Class Activist so they are obviously going to coddle people towards being the former.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the unions are apparently fleeing Labour, what with the membership drop I don't think the party will exist long.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

PawParole posted:

the unions are apparently fleeing Labour, what with the membership drop I don't think the party will exist long.

Other than Unite, which others?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Other than Unite, which others?

At least one of the candidates for Unison general secretary is advocating cutting ties with Labour, but that's a long way off happening.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Why the gently caress will they not close schools even if they expect all restaurants to close. Like what's the logic there, given that schools are now one of the main sources of infection.

I swear the Tories are just a death cult at this point.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got Sexual Health Advisor in the careers test. No other options, apparently that is the only job in existence that I'm capable of doing (after studying for a qualification and getting work experience).

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Must have lots of relevant experience. :getin:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Another sexual health advisor here. As well as a sonographer, sales rep, florist, cake decorator, pr director, ranger and at least a dozen other things ranging from farm labourer to cosmetic surgeon.

I think the whole thing’s a bit useless tbh. I mean surely I, an autistic fudge chef aged 39, will totally be able to retrain as a loving plastic surgeon.

(Though my actual jobs have included security management, shooting instructor, gaming organiser, personal trainer, bodyguard, marketing rep, tour guide, powder monkey, fudge cook and being a literal loving clown, so almost as varied)

Camrath fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 8, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

escapegoat posted:

Must have lots of relevant experience. :getin:

But they'll expect you to have 5 years experience in Eating rear end, which was only invented 2 years ago :rolleyes:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've said before, the dream would be for Momentum and the Unions to form a secondary party run in the democratic mould Corbyn was trying to set up with the NEC and despite the PLP. Top points if your absolute boy joined them but it'd be more likely you'd have the PR nightmares of Galloway and Livingstone trying to join instead.

This would also however mean probably no chance of a victory for the left in our lifetime, and a lib/lab centrist coalition crowing about how they were right to drive the evil Jaremy Crobny from the party because of their electoral success.

Nothing of measure will have a chance of being fixed, and instead of being on the inside pissing out, we'll be in the eternal goon position of making GBS threads on the train platform instead.

It feels like this is not the time for a huge split-off of the left, but Ialso realise that the material conditions of 'this is not the time' are largely created by the right and by capitalists exploiting and worsening those conditions for profit.

In summary; gently caress.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone know if this is true outside the US as well?

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1313955056325062657

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Also Landlords Super, from the guy who did Jalopy. My Summer Car meets DIY SOS in a brutally accurate rendition of an 80s provincial town, with a Spec Ops The Line "Oh poo poo I'm the monster" plotline (albeit one that's telegraphed from the very beginning - the hint is one half of the title, after all). Even comes with a flat roof pub that is *startlingly* similar to the only pub left within staggering distance of my house. Same layout, same decor, same angry Irish woman behind the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

loving weird day today.

Had the day off so I slept in. One of the Cats came in to visit me at 1130 so I slowly rolled out of bed after lazing around for an hour. Wife had been playing warframe since this time.

Walked downstairs with her and we heard one of our cats meowing in distress. But we couldn't see him. It sounded oddly distant.

I unlocked and opened the front door and there he was outside. We freaked out and did a cat check. One missing. The one who came in to try to get me up at 1130. More freaking out. Checked all the doors and windows, all locked.

Ran outside to look, nothing. Called neighbours and started a minor search party (she's a gorgeous orange fluffy tailless cat who's never been outside)

After walking around the neighbourhood for 30 min I swung down the road next to my house separated by a fence and heard her meow in the distance. Looked over the fence and she was sitting on the outside of the downstairs windowsill.

I leapt over the fence and she ran off round a corner and vanished. Finally found her after walking around with a food bowl shaking it and she ran back to the house herself.

Back to the matter at hand. All the doors and windows were sealed and we checked all the latches and locks. I was asleep, the wife was gaming. How the gently caress did two cats get outside and leave 3 other cats inside.

Either I slept walked for the first time in my life past my wife and let them out, or we didn't lock the front door and someone else opened it and let them out.

Or reality is a simulation and it lagged when I woke up and the cats spawn locations were offset. gently caress knows.