Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are the golems in d&d also considered antisemitic

yeah, they keep yammering on about George Soros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I was looking up Gygax and the phylactery, two of the people I saw talking about it said that the coopting of golems bothered them much more and asked that people not use that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pirate Radar posted:

yeah, they keep yammering on about George Soros

bell golems can only harmed by conspiracies of +2 or greater, or reptilian-crafted projectiles

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
D&D was made by nerds with at best a passing knowledge of the outside world and other cultures, prove me wrong

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in an alternate timeline D&D is good now because of the divergence that occurred when they stuck with the class name Fighting Man but made it into the gender neutral Fighting Fella

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ziv Zulander posted:

Now go look up what a phylactory actually is

how much would it rule if these things had caught on instead of yamulka's among the Jews? Imagine Ben Shapiro with a little stupid box on his head every time he made an appearance

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

(his op was "what conspiracies have actually been proved real")

https://twitter.com/nealbrennan/status/1313607654481166338

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

based on his posts in the last week i think neal may be a bit of a moron lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

StashAugustine posted:

Someone brought up Epstein and he said it didn't count as a conspiracy because he considered it a crime ring(?)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm dumb as poo poo but these people are truly something else

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already did this in 4e and it made pretty much exactly all the same people incredibly hopping mad

5e doesnt have any penalties for the races in the phb either, its apparently just the one add on book?

I wonder if dnd could've avoided all this if they'd used the word "species" instead of "race" 40 years ago.

Gygax may or may not have been antisemetic, he was an (i believe adult convert) Jehovahs Witness with deeply weird ideas about morality, like i think there was an example from him where he thought if a murderous orc truly repents to a paladin, the most "Lawful Good" action is for the paladin to kill the orc immediately so it can't reconsider.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Gygax was deeply racist and said that Custer was doing the right thing by trying to eliminate the Native Americans.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://twitter.com/Drexl_Raz/status/1313752064070242309

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “Unannounced Harry Potter RPG Game” hasn’t even been announced, but they already know which column it’s going in. :thunk:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The “Unannounced Harry Potter RPG Game” hasn’t even been announced, but they already know which column it’s going in. :thunk:

to be fair that's like...the only one that can be argued to some degree, on the basis of rowling's virulently anti-labor and transphobic garbage.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/1313911683253968896?s=19

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already did this in 4e and it made pretty much exactly all the same people incredibly hopping mad

No they didn't. Races in 4e all have positive modifiers instead of negative but they are very different in gameplay and unique abilities and feats.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This pic is 100% a /v/ troll like this

Serf
May 5, 2011

absolutely zero loving brains

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't even have the heart to look at their other tweets. I'm sure they're equally poo poo

Serf
May 5, 2011

way back on the old wotc forums there was a guy trying to adapt d&d 3.5 to a historical europe setting. he did the obvious bad move of mapping race onto nationality, leading to fun stuff like the italians getting a +2 to making poisons and lying, the germans getting bonuses to strength and intelligence and the french having innate cowardice. i'm pretty sure he just wholesale updated the kender as roma people

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Serf posted:

way back on the old wotc forums there was a guy trying to adapt d&d 3.5 to a historical europe setting. he did the obvious bad move of mapping race onto nationality, leading to fun stuff like the italians getting a +2 to making poisons and lying, the germans getting bonuses to strength and intelligence and the french having innate cowardice. i'm pretty sure he just wholesale updated the kender as roma people

what bonuses did the sorbs get

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Serf posted:

lmao jfc

did he make the orcs some sort of slavic people or did he just go pedal to the metal racist with that too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao jfc

did he make the orcs some sort of slavic people or did he just go pedal to the metal racist with that too

I’m hoping he inexplicably made them the Anglo-Saxons just because I know with total certainty that he did one of the things you said

Serf
May 5, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao jfc

he didn't straight up convert like elves into the british, he went through nation by nation and wrote up their people as whole new races. but iirc the russians were the closest to orcs

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Serf posted:

he didn't straight up convert like elves into the british, he went through nation by nation and wrote up their people as whole new races. but iirc the russians were the closest to orcs

sounds like some wehraboo bullshit made up by a dork who never read a history book, so suits my preconceptions of grognards

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Italians: +3 damage with any tomato-based weaponry, disadvantage on any checks involving not moving hands when talking

British: Advantage on all Constitution saving throws when drinking tea. If queen disappears from field of view must make Wisdom saving throw or suffer Fear condition

Germans: Free Tiger tank with purchase, no replacement parts

French: Hon hon hon

Americans: All guns deal double damage, but on crit failure shoot self in the dick/vagina

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the swiss are gnomes and germans are clearly the fantasy race of dwarves

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Irish automatically crit if they're attacking the British.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AnoHito posted:

oh yeah you'd deffo be handing out favored enemy left and right

like greeks would have favored enemy: albanians

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I give it a page before someone actually writes this up

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh yeah you'd deffo be handing out favored enemy left and right

like greeks would have favored enemy: albanians

Scots would have favored enemy: Englishmen, Welshmen, Japanese, other Scots

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Malleum posted:

what bonuses did the sorbs get

sneak attacks

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, Deus Ex is definitely one of ours.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheLaurenChen/status/1313887267522478080?s=19

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
amerikkka has a pretty modest foreign-born population lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

AnoHito posted:

If they role a natural 20, they automatically win. It's called the only have to get lucky once rule

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Milo and POTUS posted:

If they role a natural 20, they automatically win. It's called the only have to get lucky once rule

The vorpal potato.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's a snicker snack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The Spanish get a bonus to flying.