Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Funzo posted:

I'm trying to come up with hobby related things to put on my Christmas/birthday list, and I need some ideas. What are things you'd love to have but probably wouldn't buy for yourself? Or would buy, but aren't really "necessary"?

Revell Germany's 1/48th B-1B for $200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Funzo posted:

I'm trying to come up with hobby related things to put on my Christmas/birthday list, and I need some ideas. What are things you'd love to have but probably wouldn't buy for yourself? Or would buy, but aren't really "necessary"?

More models to add to your pile of shame, of course! Or maybe those harder-to-source basing products / paint lines and things that you can't just easily get at your LGS

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Funzo posted:

Vallejo Metal Color paints, effects sets, basing sets

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Funzo posted:

Vortex mixer. Ultrasonic cleaner if you have an airbrush.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Funzo posted:

Paints. Minor models I'd want just for the fun of painting them. Airbrush stuff (I don't have one, but can't afford the roughly $400 needed to get all the basic starter stuff, where I live) - but I don't NEED one to do my painting.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ultrasonic cleaner, paint sets, those modular painting desk set ups that hold all your stuff.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Werix posted:

At some point I'll get to my indomitus box and I was going to do Blood Ravens. I'd been trying to think of what to do the officer helms, and that white is a nice contrast.

Thanks! I stole the idea from some of the helmets from Dawn of War 2.

The «white» helmet is the same colour as the shoulder pads mixed with white in order to read as white but still be within the coulour palette the blood ravens use, as well as letting me highlight it with white.

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 6, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Vortex mixer

A must have if you use Scale75 paints, or anything else that requires excessive shaking. I got one on Aliexpress for like $30 and it's been fantastic.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Funzo posted:

A nice resin based 3D printer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Funzo posted:

Model holders (like a bag of wine corks), double sided tape, sticky tack, a set of files, a pack of xacto blades, lovely throwaway synthetic paintbrushes for dirty work

Edit: a pin vise and some paper clips for pinning models (like when painting sub assemblies)

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 6, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Funzo posted:

A resin 3D printer (and an inexpensive UV curing lamp). Even if you don't have an interest in printing actual minis you can find a ton of free terrain bits like tavern tables, doors, rubble, walls, junk piles, sculpted miniature bases, and etc. This thing has opened so many hobby doors for me it's not even funny.

... My backlog will never forgive me. In just over two months I've more than doubled my mini collection and most of them are just sitting there like primer white ghosts quietly waiting for me to paint them.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I have a resin printer already, and being able to use it for small RPG terrain parts and monsters has been great.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I plan to ask for a jewelry spinning platform thing and a lightbox and maybe some minis. Probably next year I'll be buying a 3D resin printer to join that club.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

A vacuform or an in-home kiln would also both allow for some interesting hobby work, mostly terrain.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Cinara posted:

A must have if you use Scale75 paints, or anything else that requires excessive shaking. I got one on Aliexpress for like $30 and it's been fantastic.

Have a link? I do a lot of AliExpress but can't seem to find the right magic search word combo

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Funzo posted:

What are things you'd love to have but probably wouldn't buy for yourself? Or would buy, but aren't really "necessary"?

Ring light for photography, colored washes, cheap Ebay vortexer, pro lighting booth, airbrush turntable, daylight bulbs, a dremel, huge-rear end self-healing cutting mat, box of No11 scalpel blades, Testor's decal paper, TINY MAGNETS, a roll of butcher's paper and dispenser, the glass IKEA display cabinet (with lighting), nail polish racks, a p100 mask for airbrushing and rioting, a water pot that's nothing like a glass, and that visor magnifier that jewelers wear.

And all the dropper bottles you can find.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Have a link? I do a lot of AliExpress but can't seem to find the right magic search word combo

I bought a cheap nail polish shaker off Amazon and its worked out great thus far.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001231424928.html

I've only had it a couple months so I can't speak for the actual long term quality of it, but so far it's been fantastic.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Funzo posted:

If you're in the US, Gamecraft has a whole section of useful things that you don't really need
http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/paint-racks-painting-stations/

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Cross-posting my KILLBOT from 30K!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Ghazk posted:

He's super-grungy and I love it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eej posted:

Silly Putty works as a mask too if you're careful not to overspray past the putty (I always spray past the putty)

Do your area coverage with masking tape and then use the putty for tricky curves and spots where the tape isn't quite where you need it. Saves on putty.

Also, don't use putty on highly textured surfaces, you'll end up with residue you'll never get off.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ghazk posted:

I totally love that broken visor with the exposed skull.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When using corkboard for bases is there a way you guys arrange it so it doesn't, you know, look like a bunch of layers of corkboard stacked on top of one another?

Do I just buy thicker corkboard?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

When using corkboard for bases is there a way you guys arrange it so it doesn't, you know, look like a bunch of layers of corkboard stacked on top of one another?

Thicker corkboard would be easier.

I smooth my layers together with some vallejo texture paste.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Get a knife and "weather" the edge of the corkboard such that the two layers blend into each other.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
This guy might be my favorite so far.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Made a test model for black cloth and cold looking metal. Also trying out some crackle medium for ice bases. There's room for improvement as I'm refining the recipe for drybrushing on the cape.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tried painting a grey wolf. It turns out the non-grey parts of it look the best.

Anyone paint wolves before?or just light fur in general?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

AndyElusive posted:

You also want to spackle the poo poo out of it. Here's one I'm working on tonight:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

In addition to Moon Monster's suggestion of weathering the edge with a knife, chip out pieces across the top in general so it's not just a straight flat surface.

You can also mix in some Battlemire Mud, I think it's called, or any other texture paste really to help add in variety and blend the "levels"

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Made a test model for black cloth and cold looking metal. Also trying out some crackle medium for ice bases. There's room for improvement as I'm refining the recipe for drybrushing on the cape.

Nice and frosty

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
it's dragon time

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Get a knife and "weather" the edge of the corkboard such that the two layers blend into each other.

Sab669 posted:

In addition to Moon Monster's suggestion of weathering the edge with a knife, chip out pieces across the top in general so it's not just a straight flat surface.

This really helped, weathering the edge really went a long way to make it look less like corkboard and more like rock. So thanks for this suggestion.

moths posted:

You also want to spackle the poo poo out of it. Here's one I'm working on tonight:

Will do, I just mixed some white glue with modeling sand after and it's really added to the look of it.

Dienes posted:

Thicker corkboard would be easier.

Ya, I went to my local craft store and thicker corkboard costs a little too much for this little project, sadly.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

any tips for painting book-letters? I've hosed up the freehand once already and i don't want the paint to get much thicker

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ignite Memories posted:

any tips for painting book-letters? I've hosed up the freehand once already and i don't want the paint to get much thicker

Coat of gloss varnish and a super thin fine liner pen. Shits hard, cheat when possible.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

The start of my first warglaive/wardog

This is with one coat of Basillicum Grey contrast.

It's dried a bit since and has lightened up. Do those who use them find they need more than one coat? I'm torn between doing a second. I think I'll leave it as is, though. I don't want to wash out any of the recesses too much.
It's my first time getting to use contrast on a substantial model and I'm super pleased with it.

All under parts will be done this way. The armour plates/carapace and raised details will be a fairly bright, flamboyant yellow/greenish blue contrast combination. I wanted to do something outside my normal schemes, which are the typical black/red/dark brooding grim darkness of the setting.

Spiv fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 9, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How do people like GW Contrast paint, now that it's been out a while? My local store just got a whole bunch in.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I did my Shaman from earlier with Flesh Tearers Red / Skeleton Horde and Black Templar and have slowly gotten used to it. I’m kind of curious to branch out, on the last round of How to Paint Space Marines videos they have been doing weapons with Basilicanum Grey and recess shading with Black Templar so they really seem committed to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

^burtle posted:

I did my Shaman from earlier with Flesh Tearers Red / Skeleton Horde and Black Templar and have slowly gotten used to it. I’m kind of curious to branch out, on the last round of How to Paint Space Marines videos they have been doing weapons with Basilicanum Grey and recess shading with Black Templar so they really seem committed to it.

My only issue with them is the coverage disparity between them.

Bas. grey goes on as I figured a contrast would, so does Templar, mostly.

But then Iyanden yellow is thin as hell but the Blood Angels Red (I think it's called?) is almost like a base paint. It makes deciding what ones to use for what, or knowing what to expect hard.

Definitely takes a lot to get use too. I had to test on my Ambull with them before deciding on which ones I would use and in what order, based on how the covered each, etc., on the test model.