Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Enterprise season 1, episode 15. Archer takes a shuttle pod out to inspect some damage after an alien docking goes wrong. With Trip away on a weapons drill, the captain of the most expensive, most powerful vessel in human history turns to T’Pol and asks who is in charge of engineering. The entire crew is like 80 people and Archer doesn’t know who the second most senior engineer is. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Escape Goat posted:

Yes

I am watching TNG (and ds9, and voyager) for the first time. I think you could probably watch like half a dozen select episodes of season 1 and 2 then move on to 3 without missing much.

It was so bad at times I am surprised I kept going, and mostly had it on as I was playing a game or something and only half paying attention.

Almost at end of TNG season 3 and it’s been hitting some high notes (mostly. Just watched “ménage a Troi”)
I remember as a kid growing up watching it and anytime they'd have a rerun, if they weren't wearing the uniforms with the collar, I would turn it off. Even child me, who gobbled up any mediocre scifi I could get my grubby little mitts on, could see how terrible the first two seasons are.

The last rewatch that I did, I found some site that had reviews of every episode along with two other aggregated review sources (IMDB and some other fansite I hadn't heard of, I think), and I skipped anything that had bad reviews from all 3. It was most of season 1 and a good chunk of 2 as well. It really helped to smooth out the rewatch and, frankly, nothing of value is lost skipping like the bottom 20% of episodes. The thing that really stuck with me though is just how many real stinkers they had, even up through the last season (looking at you Masks and Sub Rosa).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

In the pre holodeck era there was no point to knowing everyone’s names on a crew because you couldn’t magically summon their sexbot familiar out of thin air.

Once the H-deck was invented everyone was in an immediate first name-last name basis. Crew members would rip through each others family photo albums and away mission tricoder scan logs looking for sexable life forms and rushing off to try them out like a wine tasting replete with spit bucket.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

In the pre holodeck era there was no point to knowing everyone’s names on a crew because you couldn’t magically summon their sexbot familiar out of thin air.

Once the H-deck was invented everyone was in an immediate first name-last name basis. Crew members would rip through each others family photo albums and away mission tricoder scan logs looking for sexable life forms and rushing off to try them out like a wine tasting replete with spit bucket.

Oh please like you'd holobang your coworkers when you could holobang alexander skarsgård

the reason everyone but riker is so unsexed in TNG is because they've all ruined themselves to only be able to get it up to impossibly perfect holosims anymore

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Azathoth posted:

I remember as a kid growing up watching it and anytime they'd have a rerun, if they weren't wearing the uniforms with the collar, I would turn it off. Even child me, who gobbled up any mediocre scifi I could get my grubby little mitts on, could see how terrible the first two seasons are.

The last rewatch that I did, I found some site that had reviews of every episode along with two other aggregated review sources (IMDB and some other fansite I hadn't heard of, I think), and I skipped anything that had bad reviews from all 3. It was most of season 1 and a good chunk of 2 as well. It really helped to smooth out the rewatch and, frankly, nothing of value is lost skipping like the bottom 20% of episodes. The thing that really stuck with me though is just how many real stinkers they had, even up through the last season (looking at you Masks and Sub Rosa).

kid you was missing out on measure of a man though

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
most of the tng season 1 episodes are bad but the soundtrack is way better than anything that came after it, felt like a baby they threw out with the bathwater with respect ot that group

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's true but I loved the simple music stings TNG always had at the start of an episode that was just, like, a single extended note that was still somehow still instantly recognisable and mood-setting as Star Trek.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gatts posted:

Hot firey women are the best. See Kira Nerys.

Well she WAS meant to be Ro Laren :v:.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
s1 had a lot of stinkers but there's only one episode that isn't worth watching at all (everyone here knows which one)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dabir posted:

kid you was missing out on measure of a man though

yeah, I caught that one as an adult. there's gems in the first two seasons. not many, but they're there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Julius CSAR posted:

So ever since the virus hit I’ve been watching a lot of Star Trek for really the first time ever.

Started by watching the movies, minus “Final Frontier”

this is a terrible mistake. please reconsider

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

s1 had a lot of stinkers but there's only one episode that isn't worth watching at all (everyone here knows which one)

Agreed, gently caress "the big Goodbye" Skip that snoozer.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Watching Enterprise for the first time and I can't tell if they intended Archer to come across as such an incompetent fuckup or not.

But I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm kind of enjoying the story of the incompetent gently caress up Starfleet crew and how they constantly torture their poor Vulcan coworker to the edge of her sanity.

And there have been a few pretty creepy horror notes in a few of the episodes that I've really enjoyed so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mrs. Dash posted:

Watching Enterprise for the first time and I can't tell if they intended Archer to come across as such an incompetent fuckup or not.

But I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm kind of enjoying the story of the incompetent gently caress up Starfleet crew and how they constantly torture their poor Vulcan coworker to the edge of her sanity.

And there have been a few pretty creepy horror notes in a few of the episodes that I've really enjoyed so far.

They tried to make him come across as Kirk with the same vocal mannerisms, only with none of the charm.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Agreed, gently caress "the big Goodbye" Skip that snoozer.

please don't troll

Quiet Enable
Aug 29, 2017

"Everything in your head doesn't need to be said."

MikeJF posted:

Oh please like you'd holobang your coworkers when you could holobang alexander skarsgård

the reason everyone but riker is so unsexed in TNG is because they've all ruined themselves to only be able to get it up to impossibly perfect holosims anymore

Even Riker falls prey to the impossibly perfect holosims: Minuet~

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

its pretty hosed up how often the holodeck accidentally produces a sentient being who then has to be shut down

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

its pretty hosed up how often the holodeck accidentally produces a sentient being who then has to be shut down

shut down or adopted as a mascot, who I guess gets to live until the ship gets decommissioned or quark sells his bar

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Whorelord posted:

I feel like early DS9 is better than early TNG. Basically all of TNG season one is skippable while the latter parts of season one DS9 is pretty good, Duet especially.
What's a worse ending Sisko jumping into Mt Doom or BSG sending their ships into the sun.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

frankly it's pretty hosed up how the holodeck has malfunctioned essentially every single time it's used.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Applewhite posted:

frankly it's pretty hosed up how the holodeck has malfunctioned essentially every single time it's used.

pretty sure everyones off hours are spent sucking and loving in the holodeck and you just dont see it because they cant legally film what goes down in there. theres like ten thousand hours of extreme degenerate sex for every minute of accidentally making moriarty come to life

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Clark Nova posted:

shut down or adopted as a mascot, who I guess gets to live until the ship gets decommissioned or quark sells his bar

A 9-anused 8-cocked moist ball of rippling blue and purple striated flesh rolls out of room 58c on deck 12 and erects a "home sweet home" sign on the LCARS panel outside its door. William Riker freezes in place, pulls up the flap of his dress uniform to conceal his face and spins 180 on his heels high tailing it back the way he came.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

violent sex idiot posted:

pretty sure everyones off hours are spent sucking and loving in the holodeck and you just dont see it because they cant legally film what goes down in there. theres like ten thousand hours of extreme degenerate sex for every minute of accidentally making moriarty come to life

"It's mostly that..."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

did the computer give data this comedian to teach him about comedy wrong on purpose, as a joke?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

did the computer give data this comedian to teach him about comedy wrong on purpose, as a joke?

Speaking of that, just watched "Realm of Fear" (S6e02) and when Barclay snaps at the computer for asking him to specify temperature "just give me a glass of water!" They missed an opportunity for the computer to give him a scalding hot glass of water out of spite, IMO.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

If data needed a fancy positronic brain to be a person what the gently caress is up with the ships computer that it regularly is able to create life??? Does the enterprise have a brain?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

If data needed a fancy positronic brain to be a person what the gently caress is up with the ships computer that it regularly is able to create life??? Does the enterprise have a brain?

It's got a computer core with 200 teraquads worth of processing power. It can run Witcher III on ultra settings with zero framerate loss.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Applewhite posted:

It's got a computer core with 200 teraquads worth of processing power. It can run Witcher III on ultra settings with zero framerate loss.

WITH hair enabled????

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

WITH hair enabled????

Rendering hair on ultra causes the holodeck safeties to crash and then you have to complete the whole game without dying in order to escape.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

data didn't need the fancy positronic brain, it was just because the fancy positronic brain physically mimics our own biology he was recognised as a person. the computer's hardware isn't even humanoid, how could it be a person!?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In retrospect a holodeck is an extremely bad idea no matter how you slice it. Would be safer and cheaper just to invest in fully immersive shared VR.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
No then you end up dunking red blood cells into baskets in some kind of insane positive feedback loop.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Washout posted:

No then you end up dunking red blood cells into baskets in some kind of insane positive feedback loop.

That game wasn’t fair to Federation players because they didn’t have currency with which to unlock the freemium content.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

WITH hair enabled????

Nvidia Hairworks is basically going to warp 10 in threshold

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
just saw s4 e4 of ds9. how does it end with a return to status quo after obrein reveals that hes insanely racist and disobeys direct orders to murder a bunch of people? what the gently caress

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Joe Piscopo's career is the '80's biggest crime by far.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

just saw s4 e4 of ds9. how does it end with a return to status quo after obrein reveals that hes insanely racist and disobeys direct orders to murder a bunch of people? what the gently caress

I thought Jem' Hadar were tank bred soldiers and not people

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Applewhite posted:

In retrospect a holodeck is an extremely bad idea no matter how you slice it. Would be safer and cheaper just to invest in fully immersive shared VR.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but the holodeck and its iconic doorway just make for better television than watching picard sit in a magic chair or put on a dumb helmet with glowing lights in order to jack into the cybermatrix

yeah, it's pretty dumb. Bashir and O'Brien should hate each other's guts after that, and one or the other of them should've been court martialed, depending on who you think was right (I agree with you that Bashir was in the right, but the writers appear to take O'Brien's side)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well she WAS meant to be Ro Laren :v:.

It would have been really interesting to see that play out since Ro and Kira are diametrically opposed to all the Bajoran religious stuff. Kira was a True Believer, whereas Ro was always, "Oh no, not this poo poo again..."

That being said, both hated Spoonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I think we really lucked out getting Kira instead of Ro. It not only makes sense that Sisko would, for political purposes, want his first officer to be in the Bajoran militia rather than a starfleet officer. It also provides the aspect where humanity by that point is super atheist, and Sisko having to work alongside someone who is not only religious as gently caress but sees him as a messiah.