Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

garfield hentai posted:

Posted this in the RPG thread too but maybe a better fit here - any suggestions for a non-party based CRPG? I'm playing WL3 and enjoying it but all the positioning is a little tedious and I kinda like having just one guy that gets beefy as hell. Looking around I've seen mixed things on Underrail which might be up my alley but I'm kind of turned off by the fact that you apparently need to pretty much plan your build before you even start, and DOS:2 in Lone Wolf mode where despite all the accolades generic fantasy setting doesn't really do it for me.

If you don't mind something old, my classic favorite is The Summoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok, turns out a space sim is not what I want (I tried Elite Dangerous and found it too passive and boring). But I still want to go on a space-based adventure. Basically, Mass Effect. But it doesn't have to be an RPG. Just an exciting space game that takes me on a ride.

What should I try? I'm open to older stuff with less advanced graphics, but do prefer nice visuals

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Outer Worlds (Fine and fun for what it was)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

blue squares posted:

Ok, turns out a space sim is not what I want (I tried Elite Dangerous and found it too passive and boring). But I still want to go on a space-based adventure. Basically, Mass Effect. But it doesn't have to be an RPG. Just an exciting space game that takes me on a ride.

What should I try? I'm open to older stuff with less advanced graphics, but do prefer nice visuals

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

Have you played The Dig already? It will take you on quite a ride :downsrim:

e: Alien Isolation and Dead Space are also good space games. And in another style (survival) No Man's Sky

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 5, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

blue squares posted:

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

Rebel Galaxy
Freelancer (old but abandonware)
EverSpace

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
FTL, Prey (the new one specifically), Kerbal Space Program

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

blue squares posted:

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

Star Control 2 (old old 2D spacefighting game)
Jedi: Fallen Order (New action game)
Knights of the Old Republic 1 + 2 (RPGs)
Jedi Outcast/Academy (old FPSes)
Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm/Emergence (timeless 3D RTSes)

It's weird how few games where you go on spacetraveling adventures. I feel like I know more games that are just set on 1 alien planet like Lost Planet 2. Or games where aliens come to earth like XCOM (The Bureau has a real ME2 feel mechanically).

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

blue squares posted:

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

It's already been said but Prey 2017 is absolutely incredible and I can't recommend it highly enough. The atmosphere, the environment, the character progression, the visuals, everything about it just ticks all the right boxes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Much older-school, but you might check out Endless Sky. It's a clone of the old Escape Velocity series, so 2D spacefaring games where you start in a small shuttlecraft and trade and fight your way up to bigger ships, with the occasional mission chain to provide some story and motivation.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blue squares posted:

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

Gonna also recommend Prey. Alternatively, dig up the original Dead Space. The cool things about these games is that they could only take place in space, if it were anywhere else the games would be extremely different.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Much older-school, but you might check out Endless Sky. It's a clone of the old Escape Velocity series, so 2D spacefaring games where you start in a small shuttlecraft and trade and fight your way up to bigger ships, with the occasional mission chain to provide some story and motivation.

I really liked the couple hours I put into Endless Sky and will come back to it again one day. One thing I really liked--and I don't know if Escape Velocity was the same way--was that you didn't have to thrust-maneuver all the time. You could do a lot of routine stuff on autopilot by tapping a key or two: jumping, docking, etc.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

blue squares posted:

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

Star Control 2 - 2d space adventure about exploring the galaxy

Freespace Open source project (its not a hardcore space sim) - action intense space battles and probably 2,000 hours of absolutely incredible mod campaigns

both give you that space 'feeling' of "what the gently caress is going to happen next?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I really liked the couple hours I put into Endless Sky and will come back to it again one day. One thing I really liked--and I don't know if Escape Velocity was the same way--was that you didn't have to thrust-maneuver all the time. You could do a lot of routine stuff on autopilot by tapping a key or two: jumping, docking, etc.

Escape Velocity was the same, yeah, though IIRC Endless Sky made it easier to decelerate to a stop? In EV you had a button whose job was to turn to oppose your current direction of travel, and then once you were turned around you had to thrust to counteract your velocity.

Oh yeah, and along similar lines you can check out Transcendence. It's kiiiind of a roguelike, though permadeath is on the honor system. Lots of exploring procedurally-generated star systems, blowing up space stations, looting them, and selling the loot for cash to upgrade your ship with.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Captain Beans posted:

Star Control 2 - 2d space adventure about exploring the galaxy

Freespace Open source project (its not a hardcore space sim) - action intense space battles and probably 2,000 hours of absolutely incredible mod campaigns

both give you that space 'feeling' of "what the gently caress is going to happen next?"

I love Freespace and hate the control schemes of most modern space fighters because I played it so much.

Sure the graphics are very dated by this point, but the size of everything was what always got me.
The first time I flew from one end of a capitol ship to the other end and it took like 10 minutes astounded me.

As much as everyone here loves Prey, I have installed it 3 times now and just got bored with it about 2-3 hours in.
It just never grabbed me. And I am a huge Deus Ex, SS2 fan.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

blue squares posted:

The Homeworld series, although they are RTSs, are very story driven. You can probably find the remastered bundle for cheap and the prequel, Deserts of Kharak, is also good.

Capsized is a fun spacy platformer. Red Faction Guerrilla is a great spacy time.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

blue squares posted:

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

I suggest you Starpoint Gemini Warlords : it's quite old now, but it still one of the best in the "space opera/star empire building" genre.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

blue squares posted:

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

Do you have anything against Star Wars? They have a few games which could scratch that itch. Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy in particular are quite old but are essentially straight up adventure games in space, and good games in their own right. The KOTOR games (the old RPGS or the new f2p game) might be your cup of tea as well. No space combat, but neither does Mass Effect have that, so you might still enjoy them.

I'm not too up to date with more recent SW games unfortunately

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Deltasquid posted:

Do you have anything against Star Wars? They have a few games which could scratch that itch. Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy in particular are quite old but are essentially straight up adventure games in space, and good games in their own right. The KOTOR games (the old RPGS or the new f2p game) might be your cup of tea as well. No space combat, but neither does Mass Effect have that, so you might still enjoy them.

I'm not too up to date with more recent SW games unfortunately

Star wars squadrons managed to really give me the same feeling of piloting a real starfighter during space battles as tie fighter and starlancer back in the day.

I haven't tried the multi yet but really enjoying the solo so far.

Best dogfighting fun I had since House of the Dying Sun.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Any recommendation for online card games that are not Magic Arena, Hearthstone or Eternal? I heard decent things about Gwent and Legends or Runeterra but I can't summon enough giveafucks about the lore to actually get off my lazy butt. Also, I want it to be actually fun to play for free instead of a second job.

Also, thanks to the previous recommendations, played Whispers of a Machine this past weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. A bit short but it feels kinda cozy and lived in, in its odd dystopia. It's odd that I might actually replay through a point and click adventure game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Runeterra is really good

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Magnetic North posted:

Any recommendation for online card games that are not Magic Arena, Hearthstone or Eternal? I heard decent things about Gwent and Legends or Runeterra but I can't summon enough giveafucks about the lore to actually get off my lazy butt. Also, I want it to be actually fun to play for free instead of a second job.

Also, thanks to the previous recommendations, played Whispers of a Machine this past weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. A bit short but it feels kinda cozy and lived in, in its odd dystopia. It's odd that I might actually replay through a point and click adventure game.

Slay the Spire board gamer :) Or Monster Train

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

OgNar posted:

I love Freespace and hate the control schemes of most modern space fighters because I played it so much.

Sure the graphics are very dated by this point, but the size of everything was what always got me.
The first time I flew from one end of a capitol ship to the other end and it took like 10 minutes astounded me.

As much as everyone here loves Prey, I have installed it 3 times now and just got bored with it about 2-3 hours in.
It just never grabbed me. And I am a huge Deus Ex, SS2 fan.

just thinking about Freespace makes me want to install it again and go grab one of the insanely huge total conversions

I don't remember much about the controls, what do you think made them feel so good compared to new stuff?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Captain Beans posted:

just thinking about Freespace makes me want to install it again and go grab one of the insanely huge total conversions

I don't remember much about the controls, what do you think made them feel so good compared to new stuff?

If I recall you used right click to move your reticle and left click to fire.
But most i'm seeing now are just mouse movement, so when you are click and firing, at least for me, I tend to be sliding the reticle around more and become less accurate.
But this is a purely personal thing. I have installed Elite dangerous on various occasions and just cant get a handle on its control scheme.
I end up just constantly going into a spin since movement seems to be controlled by the mouse.

Freespace is one of the early games that got me hooked on ESDF.
E/D forward/back, S/F strafe and A/G rotate was how I played it.
Having rotate hooked to mouse movement is horrid for me.

But like I said, this is purely personal.
Maybe one day I'll get a flight stick again and play it.
I don't see using a gamepad though.

e: now i'm caught up watching this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VU655sDbCQ
all that green looks like pure rear end now though

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 7, 2020

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I’ve been watching some videos on Spellbreak and it’s really got me itching to play a game where I can cast a bunch of cool, visually striking spells. I don’t have any interest in playing a BR/PvP game for this, though. Y’all got any recs? An RPG-style game would be ideal. Deep character customization would be cool too. Spells doesn’t have to be the only way to play, either, if the game has a more traditional class system.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Probably not exactly what you have in mind, but check out Noita. It's a roguelite where you assemble wands with sequences of spells. Oh and also every single pixel has its own physics. It's really cool and at least one of the devs (Hempuli) is a goon.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Just out of curiosity, I was reading a story recently which involved a race of insects kind of swarming and devouring entire continents at a time. Felt super Zerg-like. Kinda put me in the mood to play a game with a faction similar to Zerg or other 'all-consuming all-devouring' type faction. Wondering what options are available? I know of Starcraft, of course, and Grey Goo, but not sure what else there is besides those two...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Traitorous Leopard posted:

So I’ve been watching some videos on Spellbreak and it’s really got me itching to play a game where I can cast a bunch of cool, visually striking spells. I don’t have any interest in playing a BR/PvP game for this, though. Y’all got any recs? An RPG-style game would be ideal. Deep character customization would be cool too. Spells doesn’t have to be the only way to play, either, if the game has a more traditional class system.

check out wizard of legend

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

khy posted:

Just out of curiosity, I was reading a story recently which involved a race of insects kind of swarming and devouring entire continents at a time. Felt super Zerg-like. Kinda put me in the mood to play a game with a faction similar to Zerg or other 'all-consuming all-devouring' type faction. Wondering what options are available? I know of Starcraft, of course, and Grey Goo, but not sure what else there is besides those two...

Maybe some of the warhammer 40k games? Dawn of War II has the Tyranids playable in Multiplayer. Dawn of War II: Retribution has a Tyranid campaign (lacklustre at that). Battlefleet Gothic Armada II has a Tyranid campaign. Dawn of War Soulstorm has a couple of mods that add the Tyranids to the game. Space Hulk: Deathwing has you fighting against tyranids in a FPS but they're not playable.

EDIT: also check out Stellaris, if you don't mind 4x games: you can create your own factions/races in that, and with some combinations of traits and ethoses (ethoi?) you can create your own hivemind faction that essentially functions like the zerg.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

If you don't mind it being a turn-based 4X, Endless Legend has a faction just for you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Deltasquid posted:

Maybe some of the warhammer 40k games? Dawn of War II has the Tyranids playable in Multiplayer. Dawn of War II: Retribution has a Tyranid campaign (lacklustre at that). Battlefleet Gothic Armada II has a Tyranid campaign. Dawn of War Soulstorm has a couple of mods that add the Tyranids to the game. Space Hulk: Deathwing has you fighting against tyranids in a FPS but they're not playable.

For 40k you could also always go with a green tide of Orkz instead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

khy posted:

Creeper World

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

John Murdoch posted:

For 40k you could also always go with a green tide of Orkz instead.

I mean yeah, or orkz/chaos/beastmen/skaven in warhammer total war 2

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
Recommend me a game! I have a decent PC than can handle whatever (specs). I mostly play PUBG and Civ6 but I'm after a story-driven, linear(ish) adventure/FPS game in between.

I've not played many games over the last few years:
    Wolfenstein II, which was hard to follow not having played the earlier games but was pretty fun otherwise;
    Far Cry 5, which I enjoyed for a while but got very samey/grindy;
    I picked up Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and Origins some time ago - I played the former for quite a long time but got bored of it being the same AC game as every other; never really gave Origins much time as I was bored by then;
    Prey was pretty fun;
    Alien:Isolation was also pretty immersive but I don't think I ever finished it;
    Dishonored was great

I think that's all I've played in the last five years. I was thinking of getting Metro Exodus or Control (neither of which I've played) but before I do I thought I'd see if you guys can throw some ideas my way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control is very good, not too long, and a fine way to show off those :pcgaming: RTX effects.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bouchehog posted:

Recommend me a game! I have a decent PC than can handle whatever (specs). I mostly play PUBG and Civ6 but I'm after a story-driven, linear(ish) adventure/FPS game in between.

Doom

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
control is great yeah, AC odyssey is also amazing and looks stunning. There is some grind if you want it, but you can just skip straight through to story missions and have a ton of fun.
Also go play Wolfenstein the new order and the old blood, imo better games than wolf II.

DOOM 2016 is great, and if you love it go play DOOM: Eternal after that.

MGS V: The Phantom Pain is a very fun game as well, a bit more sandbox-y but the systems are very cool and you can have tons of fun trying out inventive approaches to missions.

HITMAN 2 (the new one) is also one of the best games of all time and looks great. A bit light on 'overall' story perhaps, but the self-contained events in the missions and NPC's are well written.

If you liked Dishonored and Prey you should also play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (and Human Revolution if you haven't yet).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bouchehog posted:

FarCry 3: Blood Dragon and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger are both story-driven FPS and they are really good, although short.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

exquisite tea posted:

Control is very good, not too long, and a fine way to show off those :pcgaming: RTX effects.

Glad to hear it. Sold. :20bux:

Samopsa posted:

control is great yeah, AC odyssey is also amazing and looks stunning. There is some grind if you want it, but you can just skip straight through to story missions and have a ton of fun.
Also go play Wolfenstein the new order and the old blood, imo better games than wolf II.

DOOM 2016 is great, and if you love it go play DOOM: Eternal after that.

MGS V: The Phantom Pain is a very fun game as well, a bit more sandbox-y but the systems are very cool and you can have tons of fun trying out inventive approaches to missions.

HITMAN 2 (the new one) is also one of the best games of all time and looks great. A bit light on 'overall' story perhaps, but the self-contained events in the missions and NPC's are well written.

If you liked Dishonored and Prey you should also play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (and Human Revolution if you haven't yet).

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a good shout. I played Human Revolution and liked that. Doom '16 I played (but didn't stick on my list as it's not exactly story driven...). I will pick up Eternal on sale at some point. Never got into the MSG series but I will look into it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking for a multiplayer game, 2-3 players that can run on a toaster. Genres like co-op rpg or tactical strategy, hopefully also co-op because he’s much smarter than me.

I have a friend who has a crappy old ultrabook and an Xbox One. I have a PS4 and a gaming PC. We’re looking to play video games together on a regular basis, maybe sometimes with a couple more people.

I’ve considered Minecraft but he said no. I’m thinking Civ 6 may not run on his hardware. Other than Don’t Starve Together I’m drawing a blank. Any ideas?

He likes tactical games like XCOM and Baldur’s Gate. BG3 would be perfect but it’s beta and very expensive and has high hardware requirements.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tuyop posted:

Looking for a multiplayer game, 2-3 players that can run on a toaster. Genres like coop rpg or tactical strategy, hopefully also coop because he’s much smarter than me.

I have a friend who has a crappy old ultrabook and an Xbox One. I have a PS4 and a gaming PC. We’re looking to play video games together on a regular basis, maybe sometimes with a couple more people.

I’ve considered Minecraft but he said no. I’m thinking Civ 6 may not run on his hardware. Other than Don’t Starve Together I’m drawing a blank. Any ideas?

He likes tactical games like XCOM and Baldur’s Gate. BG3 would be perfect but it’s beta and very expensive and has high hardware requirements.

I don't have a specific game in mind for you, but check out Parsec, its a program that allows you to play split screen games over the internet. This opens up a wide variety of games for you, including emulated games on your gaming PC.

If you want to go even DEEPER down the rabbit hole, there exists something called Nucleus Co-op and the goal of this program is to turn regular games into splitscreen games. So theoretically you could run Nucleus Co-op to play a game regular multiplayer game on a split screen and then Parsec that screen to your friend with the poor hardware. The biggest downside to this method is you have to both be using controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

Dishonored was great[/list]

If you liked Dishonored then you'll probably like Dishonored 2, and if you do don't skip the Death of the Outsider expansion.

Seconding DX:MD too