Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

What in tarnation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chomp8645 posted:

Twat in tarnation!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I clicked the account that posted that tweet out of curiosity and it's got a big ol' dick as a pinned tweet, just fyi if anyone's at work and thought of doing the same thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

I clicked the account that posted that tweet out of curiosity and it's got a big ol' dick as a pinned tweet, just fyi if anyone's at work and thought of doing the same thing.

Well I wasn't going to but you convinced me

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

hoo boy

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Shame Boy posted:

Anime avatar, you should have known better

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Imagine thinking that's better than the default model lol

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

huoh god jesus gently caress

I remember installing FakeFactory in like 2008 and it was weird as poo poo back then, good to know it's continued firmly into windowlicker territory

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cold on a Cob posted:

true, but computers are masters at malicious compliance

I’m stealing this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spatial posted:

i've worked on several issues in the last few years which were estimated at 3-5 days but wound up taking over 3 months each :v:

What's it like to work on Star Citizen?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Antonymous posted:

what are points in the computer toucher world

Bullshit. They're pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Capital wants to know how to most efficiently exploit labor, so they latch onto any psuedo-scientific sounding crap that promises to give them numbers to look at. Agile methodology is that. The idea is that you have sprints (defined chunks of time like two weeks or whatever) that your team does stuff in, and the team has a certain amount it's possible to do in that time. Theoretically, that's measured in points, so you estimate how much stuff you'll be able to fit in the sprint by how many points your team has available, and how many each thing will be to do.

However, you get into a few problems here. First, nobody knows what a point is. Is it a measurement of time? If so, how much time per point? Or is it a measure of difficulty or effort? Who knows? But you'd better get the number right. Which brings me to the second problem: everybody sucks at estimating. Sometimes you get things right, based on whichever definition of a "point" you're using (which is hopefully in the same universe as the definitions used by other people where you are). But sometimes you're laughably off, like the three-days-turning-into-three-months thing (or the opposite). And then you have people making timelines off of what are effectively guesses pulled out of somebody's rear end that get set in stone as The Delivery Date Which Shall Be Met.

In case you can't tell, I'm not much of a fan. Maybe it works somewhere, but I've never seen it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

T-man posted:

Desperately, weepingly looking up epistemology texts to justify the creepy Ellen page e-sexdoll, yelling "generic body model" as my mom walks in and does a deepfake of a child she could have been proud of

David Cageposting

Kreeblah posted:

Bullshit. They're pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Capital wants to know how to most efficiently exploit labor, so they latch onto any psuedo-scientific sounding crap that promises to give them numbers to look at. Agile methodology is that. The idea is that you have sprints (defined chunks of time like two weeks or whatever) that your team does stuff in, and the team has a certain amount it's possible to do in that time. Theoretically, that's measured in points, so you estimate how much stuff you'll be able to fit in the sprint by how many points your team has available, and how many each thing will be to do.

However, you get into a few problems here. First, nobody knows what a point is. Is it a measurement of time? If so, how much time per point? Or is it a measure of difficulty or effort? Who knows? But you'd better get the number right. Which brings me to the second problem: everybody sucks at estimating. Sometimes you get things right, based on whichever definition of a "point" you're using (which is hopefully in the same universe as the definitions used by other people where you are). But sometimes you're laughably off, like the three-days-turning-into-three-months thing (or the opposite). And then you have people making timelines off of what are effectively guesses pulled out of somebody's rear end that get set in stone as The Delivery Date Which Shall Be Met.

In case you can't tell, I'm not much of a fan. Maybe it works somewhere, but I've never seen it.

So much about software development is explained by management desperately trying to justify their paychecks while seething at the programmers who have actual skills which can't be easily replaced

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

At company, we believe that human capital is our most important resource I write with tears of empathy welling up in my eyes
One of my favorite acts of minor subversiveness is the Rimworld article on slavery, organ harvesting, and butchering people.

It's titled Human Resources

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kreeblah posted:

Working in sprints does mostly work, as long as you use them like "this is what we will be working on for the next three weeks, you will have to wait until the next sprint for any new/ad-hoc tasks", and forget about points and all that other poo poo. Use only the parts of agile* that are actually beneficial.

Let the developers focus and don't bother them with distracting minor poo poo all the time.

* Ironically one of the most rigid and stiff development methods ever invented.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The only time I've seen Agile 'work' is when I worked with this very charismatic argentino in a team where the manager was the client's forcibly promoted tech who wanted to get back to coding. The Argentinian and me made a tag team - he fixed up stuff requiring contact with management or other teams with his charisma/political cunning and I handled the extremely technical stuff with my tech skill. So we had two de facto leaders in the team who handled setting goals and designs, which we agreed upon with the rest of the team with their full participation, then got the manager on the hook by integrating him back into coding in return for him covering our rear end.

Naturally we covered for our people whenever possible, let them make up metrics on their own post factum (giving us the best scores in the reviews by the client's 'Agilist' yes that's how he called himself) and just left them in peace. We turned to one planning a sprint and if you needed more you just booked the people you wanted to talk for a meeting.

This lasted for like 6 months during which we were so effective at fulfilling stated goals some of the team members moved to 4 day weeks, some to 5 hour workdays, some to full whf etc. One member we covered an impromptu 'paternal leave' for. We had people asking to join us for stress relief lmfao. Lo and behold it turned out workers in a respectful arrangement self managed beautifully, and things were done either on time or with minimal delays, and always with excellent quality.

Then our consulting company got a friend of the CEO in charge of our team and he didn't like the wages of people in my office, wanting to drive them down for cost effectiveness. He made our working conditions worse than before the anarchistic experiment we ran and drove basically everyone to quit. The client we consulted for bankrupted during the pandemic

dex_sda has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Oct 8, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
And it's always the fault of the workers, too. Never the idiot manager who ruined everything; the workers were just too overpaid / underproductive / not completely subservient and that's clearly why things failed, not because they hosed with something that was working fine and ruined it.

(Only to move on to the next and do the same thing there.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

And it's always the fault of the workers, too. Never the idiot manager who ruined everything; the workers were just too overpaid / underproductive / not completely subservient and that's clearly why things failed, not because they hosed with something that was working fine and ruined it.

(Only to move on to the next and do the same thing there.)

management cannot fail, it can only be failed.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Also funny story about the 'agilist' wanker. This fucker was paid like 200k usd a year to review the agile process of all the teams the client had. And we consistently saw a few teams beat us in his reviews - this was about the time me and the argentinian were starting to have a mandate from our team to be de facto leaders. He found out that the best scored team was using 'story points' to denote literal hours. So we just multiplied our own story points by 10 and suddenly we were doing great! Then when we started faking the metrics completely so we had a nearly perfect burndown we rocketed to the most agile team tm.

The motherfucker was getting paid 200k to run a script once a month and rank teams, I'm convinced, rating the story points and the consistency between sprints. He would also sometimes join a sprint planning of the team his script said was bad. People got fired on that fucker's recommendations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
mba's are just one giant international grift

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Suspicious posted:

This is literally the first post I've understood itt in pages. For sure.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Looking forward to more governments embracing antinatalism tbh

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Suspicious posted:

It's a signifier of class affiliation. For your MBA to matter, you have to go to a "good" school. If you went to a good school, that means you paid a lot of money. That means you are rich. Therefore, it is ok to give you free money.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

David Cageposting

So much about software development is explained by management desperately trying to justify their paychecks while seething at the programmers who have actual skills which can't be easily replaced

I touched on this a bit earlier in the thread, but there's a really great essay (that eventually the author re-visited and published as a full-fledged novel by the same title) called On the Phenomenon of Bullshit Jobs. It's got some gems in it:

quote:

This is a profound psychological violence here. How can one even begin to speak of dignity in labour when one secretly feels one's job should not exist? How can it not create a sense of deep rage and resentment. Yet it is the peculiar genius of our society that its rulers have figured out a way, as in the case of the fish-fryers, to ensure that rage is directed precisely against those who actually do get to do meaningful work. For instance: in our society, there seems a general rule that, the more obviously one's work benefits other people, the less one is likely to be paid for it. Again, an objective measure is hard to find, but one easy way to get a sense is to ask: what would happen were this entire class of people to simply disappear? Say what you like about nurses, garbage collectors, or mechanics, it's obvious that were they to vanish in a puff of smoke, the results would be immediate and catastrophic. A world without teachers or dock-workers would soon be in trouble, and even one without science fiction writers or ska musicians would clearly be a lesser place. It's not entirely clear how humanity would suffer were all private equity CEOs, lobbyists, PR researchers, actuaries, telemarketers, bailiffs or legal consultants to similarly vanish. (Many suspect it might markedly improve.) Yet apart from a handful of well-touted exceptions (doctors), the rule holds surprisingly well.

You can find the full essay here: https://www.strike.coop/bullshit-jobs/

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

dex_sda posted:

Also funny story about the 'agilist' wanker. This fucker was paid like 200k usd a year to review the agile process of all the teams the client had. And we consistently saw a few teams beat us in his reviews - this was about the time me and the argentinian were starting to have a mandate from our team to be de facto leaders. He found out that the best scored team was using 'story points' to denote literal hours. So we just multiplied our own story points by 10 and suddenly we were doing great! Then when we started faking the metrics completely so we had a nearly perfect burndown we rocketed to the most agile team tm.

The motherfucker was getting paid 200k to run a script once a month and rank teams, I'm convinced, rating the story points and the consistency between sprints. He would also sometimes join a sprint planning of the team his script said was bad. People got fired on that fucker's recommendations.

a fairly large ecomm i worked for once paid an outside consultant like 300k to run a accessibility audit and what they got back was the one built into chrome with worse suggestions than the two inhouse ui/ux guys were suggesting for months prior or that our team would run monthly for our own amusement. god i love grift. wish i had the stomach for it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

a fairly large ecomm i worked for once paid an outside consultant like 300k to run a accessibility audit and what they got back was the one built into chrome with worse suggestions than the two inhouse ui/ux guys were suggesting for months prior or that our team would run monthly for our own amusement. god i love grift. wish i had the stomach for it

I feel like one of the easiest ways to make money these days is to call yourself a wellbeing consultant and run workshops teaching stressed employees that actually thinking positive thoughts and talking to colleagues only about positive things will help their stress more than changing the conditions of their work. I think pretty much every company budgets a decent amount for "employee wellbeing" these days and it's basically just free money sitting there for the taking.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

bike tory posted:

I feel like one of the easiest ways to make money these days is to call yourself a wellbeing consultant and run workshops teaching stressed employees that actually thinking positive thoughts and talking to colleagues only about positive things will help their stress more than changing the conditions of their work. I think pretty much every company budgets a decent amount for "employee wellbeing" these days and it's basically just free money sitting there for the taking.

i mean if you're white collar labor aristocraty maybe, i ain't never got no meditation bullshit

stealth communist employee wellbeing consultant who starts with woo about ~dialectics~ until the bosses leave to eat children's hearts at which point you start unionizing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I mean if you want to actually do some good with the money maybe, but I thought we were talking grifts

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

"Toxic positivity" has come up a couple of times on AskAManager, and it is super loving frustrating. Just burying all concerns behind a façade of "we don't like negativity here."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think my bosses realize I want to leave because I just got another raise and it's not raise time. I mean I'm okay with making a whole like 30 cents an hour more but it was hard enough to find a new job that matched my $16/hr rate and they've given me an extra dollar since 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That just made me look up our national minimum wage and it's $19.84. Not ominous at all.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Len posted:

I think my bosses realize I want to leave because I just got another raise and it's not raise time. I mean I'm okay with making a whole like 30 cents an hour more but it was hard enough to find a new job that matched my $16/hr rate and they've given me an extra dollar since 2019

fwiw if you have a post office processing plant near you they’re basically always hiring and it starts at $16.55

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzwoMDgF_I

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Fame Douglas posted:

They simply did it this way because it was the least amount of work.

how do youuuuuuu know

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Yelp/status/1314197512333529088

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How long until chuds start searching for the alert before going out to eat?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

T-man posted:

How long until chuds start searching for the alert before going out to eat?

Restaurants are already planning on how to make the news to get the alert

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

fiverr full of minorities offering to get yelled at in a restaurant according to a script to make the place get the right publicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Will be the weeping SJW gender studies major on your right wing "debate" youtube for two ounces of dank weed