Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhhhh

1. That is definitely her. They photoshopped her ontop of herself. So that doesn't work.

2. She's not in the game. All the game has are some tank skins with stars on them.

So, its definitely not that.

The package came with two sets of crews, the boys and the seven.

Neither included the female members of the respective factions so you're right about Erin anyway. The seven were represented by noir, HL, deep, and a-train

https://worldoftanks.com/en/the-boys-kit/

e: I was wrong, there was a starlight specific kit as well that included her as a commander

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/starlight-kit-0920/

Azhais fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

DogsInSpace! posted:

That was Warren Ellis. Those two names confuse me too so no judgement. I LOVED when Norman Osborn went mad, donned the old Goblin costume and killed like half of his team. He also did The Authority, Hellstorm, Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Nextwave and a couple of other things. I stopped reading comics not long after the Dark Reign ended (god I bloody well loved Dark Reign). Sadly a goon just mentioned in another thread Ellis got caught being problematic. Sucks as his comics were really good and a big part of any kid picking up comics at the end of the 90s and early 00s. Hopefully his remorse is genuine.

Ah poo poo you're right totally mixed then up, I have done that too many times to count. I tend mix to lovely (person) writers. Ellis is a much better writer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Azhais posted:

The package came with two sets of crews, the boys and the seven.

Neither included the female members of the respective factions so you're right about Erin anyway. The seven were represented by noir, HL, deep, and a-train

https://worldoftanks.com/en/the-boys-kit/

Yeah and those are definitely the actual actors' likenesses.

So still the question, why the awful advertisement photoshop job? Lmao Amazon.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is an official cross-promotion between The Boys and World of Tanks

:psyduck:

What is going on. Why is that image so weirdly photoshopped!?

Pretty sure they're just matching the style of the game's art.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you get away with it here because its a pretty recent divergence from our timeline. Compared to like, Netflix' Bright, where you have racist elves and orcs and yet everything is still the same culture as today.

It's actually worse in the case of anything with fantasy creatures because over history those creatures have been used as stereotypes by racists, no doubt some of them were born from them. There's probably no way you can approach a stratified society in your media, and include those races, and not step on a racist caricature, intentionally or otherwise.

I'm actually struggling for examples for this right now, even though I remember them being everywhere in fantasy media (Thanks brain! :smith:). The only examples that come to mind right now are the way orcs are often direct caricatures of people of colour in media, and Rowling and the loving Goblins.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blendy posted:

Ah poo poo you're right totally mixed then up, I have done that too many times to count. I tend mix to lovely (person) writers. Ellis is a much better writer.

Ennis does have some talent. He’s great at capturing both sides of the machismo coin : both the toxic doomed side of masculinity as well as the camaraderie between brothers; even though Ennis isn’t even sure which side of the coin he lands on. Ellis is great with grand concepts and visions of the divine but could never capture the simple human moment of two good mates talking about bullshit while driving on Route 66. I always pictured Ellis like Morrison: this mad wizard ranting from on top of the mountain. Ennis is that buddy of yours blathering about the Arsenals over too many pints who gets a bit weird if girls come around or wants to try and one up your “tales of weird shocking bollocks.” Both can be fun but you gotta know their limitations. Ennis on Punisher was perfect and the last thing I read from him. It was a fine ending.

Definitely good that this show takes the core of what he wrote and puts their own mark. In another thread, goons talked about Lovecraft the same way. You take what you like and leave out what you’d do different. Make it your own.
All that said: check out Planetary by Warren Ellis. It’s a great read. That and James Robinson’s “Starman” are among my two favourites of all time.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Me either, but then again I'm a tin-eared American so :shrug:

I'm surprised they didn't just make his dad an Australian or New Zealander and then they could have sorta explained Butcher's accent. (Butcher's dad was supposed to be British, right? He did kinda sound sorta aussie to me...)

John Noble is himself Australian but he’s putting on the same sort of accent Urban is. I’m not big on picking up accents but it does seem a little off after so many people pointing it out. I thought the same thing at first.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

alexandriao posted:

It's actually worse in the case of anything with fantasy creatures because over history those creatures have been used as stereotypes by racists, no doubt some of them were born from them. There's probably no way you can approach a stratified society in your media, and include those races, and not step on a racist caricature, intentionally or otherwise.

I'm actually struggling for examples for this right now, even though I remember them being everywhere in fantasy media (Thanks brain! :smith:). The only examples that come to mind right now are the way orcs are often direct caricatures of people of colour in media, and Rowling and the loving Goblins.

Yeah, its something that's extremely pervasive. I'm glad tabletop gaming seems to be taking a turn away from that as a whole, concepts like racial stat bonuses are falling out of favor.

But I mean, you could have a show like Bright with orcs and elves and racial coding and use it to actually say something, but Bright... didn't.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

alexandriao posted:

Well yes, if you use the word ‘race’ to describe species as different as typical fantasy orcs and elves, then you are by definition a racist. Not in the sense that you are necessarily waving tiki torches, but in the sense that you have in your head a word and concept ‘race’ that you find appropriate to use for those two things.

Trace the history where that word and concept came from, and it will be the 1930s. And that’s not a good time period to be sourcing your ideas from.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does it really rhyme with penis?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rando posted:

Does it really rhyme with penis?

Garth Ennis is a guy who was absolutely called “Darth Penis” at least once in his life and it shows.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

radmonger posted:

Trace the history where that word and concept came from, and it will be the 1930s. And that’s not a good time period to be sourcing your ideas from.

I'm sorry, are you claiming that the concept of race was invented in the 1930s? What on earth?

Edit: I think I read your post ungenerously, if you're talking about "race" in the context of different kinds of fantasy people I apologize for jumping the gun.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 8, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AOC is the head popper, Maeve is gonna punch stormfront's eye out, Hughie is gettin juiced, Billy/Becca/Ryan are all in the forest when someone gets exploded for Homelander to fly down on all sad like

Thanks for listening

E: deep gets beaten to death in an alley by the church, souljaboy becomes the new head of the Seven after homies disgrace

Shoot theories with me scattergun style

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 8, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm sorry, are you claiming that the concept of race was invented in the 1930s? What on earth?

Edit: I think I read your post ungenerously, if you're talking about "race" in the context of different kinds of fantasy people I apologize for jumping the gun.

To say that the 30s were racist is not to say that they invented it.

And I think radmonger was just saying that Tolkien and similar fantasy fiction and iconography largely sprang up in that era. But looks like you already caught on.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There was probably some major reification of scientific racism done in the 30s, I don’t know if it was exactly the invention of modern race but it was likely a big step towards it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Thinking of it now, it may be a good thing Vought's hearing was sabotaged. Even if they could be brought down by rule of law, they still have Homelander the Invincible Psycho to deal with. His life of luxury and privilege is the only thing keeping him even remotely in line. You take that away from him by slaying Vought, and...

...Well, what's their plan if he goes berserk? They need that first before even thinking of Vought.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'd argue that the concept of fantasy "races" draws heavily on 19th century pseudoscientific and esoteric sources like Theosophy, some of the cruder taxonomizing of American and British Spiritualists, things lifted from novels like The Coming Race, etc.. Especially the Theosophy. I liked Helen Young's Race and Popular Fantasy Literature: Habits of Whiteness for a broad overview.

As a matter of fact in a lot of scientific communities the 1930s saw a sharp if in some ways superficial reaction against "race science" compared to the first few decades of the century (see Julian Sorell Huxley's shockingly racist lecture tour of the US in 1924) if on a somewhat superficial level. This is certainly not to say that the 1930s were a period of astonishingly violent racism, just that academic anthropology and ethnology pumped the brakes a bit. Even then however you had texts like We Europeans which I would describe as an early example of "liberal" race science and Carelton Coon's The Races of Europe, very very dated books which, especially in light of the ways in which Coon expanded his arguments later in his career, look very starkly problematic. But still-- they were simply picking up the ball handed to them by their predecessors and running with it, just as the nazis scrounged up several decades of cast off junk science to cobble together.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

alexandriao posted:

Doesn't Harry Potter have a race of hook-nosed banker gnomes?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Grendels Dad posted:

Doesn't Harry Potter have a race of hook-nosed banker gnomes?

The post you're quoting is talking about them, they're goblins.

Pretty racist.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

From what I hear about the people who make up this game's userbase, they probably should have went with another female member of the 7.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tip posted:

The post you're quoting is talking about them, they're goblins.

Pretty racist.

Ah drat, I skipped the last sentence. Egg on my face.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

In I believe the fifth movie an overzealous set designer went full mask-off and put a Star of David on the floor of Gringots (the goblin bank). They use camera work to avoid it but you can see it if you pause and check

Obligatory gently caress jk rowling

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

In I believe the fifth movie an overzealous set designer went full mask-off and put a Star of David on the floor of Gringots (the goblin bank). They use camera work to avoid it but you can see it if you pause and check

:eyepop:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I went back, it's in the first movie, literally the first scene with Gringotts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

I went back, it's in the first movie, literally the first scene with Gringotts

Looking into it, it seems that was part of the location before they selected it for the movie. But it could have influenced the decision in some way (and how'd it end up in the bank in the first place)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Looking into it, it seems that was part of the location before they selected it for the movie. But it could have influenced the decision in some way (and how'd it end up in the bank in the first place)

Not a bank, it's the Australian embassy in London (Australia House)

Given the age of the building that's probably the old commonwealth star

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That coffee store fixed its front window up really fast. All of one day to replace the glass? Vought's an efficient operation.

sponges posted:

Yeah, he is.

I never notice his kiwi accent springing up. I guess it’s real noticeable to other people though

Butcher's British accent is hilarious. It's really bad.

John Noble's is bad too, though Mrs. Patmore is mostly fine.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

BurritoJustice posted:

AOC is the head popper, Maeve is gonna punch stormfront's eye out, Hughie is gettin juiced, Billy/Becca/Ryan are all in the forest when someone gets exploded for Homelander to fly down on all sad like

Thanks for listening

E: deep gets beaten to death in an alley by the church, souljaboy becomes the new head of the Seven after homies disgrace

Stan is Vought

Black Noir is also Stan but not Vought

Starlight lives/Hughie dies

Kimiko rips out an eye

Ryan dies

Becca dies

Shawarma scene at end

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I'd argue that the concept of fantasy "races" draws heavily on 19th century pseudoscientific and esoteric sources like Theosophy, some of the cruder taxonomizing of American and British Spiritualists, things lifted from novels like The Coming Race, etc.. Especially the Theosophy. I liked Helen Young's Race and Popular Fantasy Literature: Habits of Whiteness for a broad overview.

As a matter of fact in a lot of scientific communities the 1930s saw a sharp if in some ways superficial reaction against "race science" compared to the first few decades of the century (see Julian Sorell Huxley's shockingly racist lecture tour of the US in 1924) if on a somewhat superficial level. This is certainly not to say that the 1930s were a period of astonishingly violent racism, just that academic anthropology and ethnology pumped the brakes a bit. Even then however you had texts like We Europeans which I would describe as an early example of "liberal" race science and Carelton Coon's The Races of Europe, very very dated books which, especially in light of the ways in which Coon expanded his arguments later in his career, look very starkly problematic. But still-- they were simply picking up the ball handed to them by their predecessors and running with it, just as the nazis scrounged up several decades of cast off junk science to cobble together.

The American Psychological Association was founded in 1892 by a man who believed in race science and forced sterilization of "weaker" races.

Science in the 19th C in America was handed the baton by racist intellectuals of the 18th to justify the subjegation and exploitation of colored ppl.

Theosophy seems pretty dwarfed by that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Obligatory gently caress jk rowling

:hmmyes:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

BurritoJustice posted:

Thanks for listening

Superman wakes up with a gasp.

He turns to Batman lying beside him "I just had the weirdest dream... everyone was just awful . Not you though Black Noir, you were doing great. "

Batman sits up and says "What did you just call me?"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Superman wakes up with a gasp.

He turns to Batman lying beside him "I just had the weirdest dream... everyone was just awful . Not you though Black Noir, you were doing great. "

Batman sits up and says "What did you just call me?"

Why are they sleeping together?

Herogasm pt 2

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Stan is Vought

Black Noir is also Stan but not Vought

Starlight lives/Hughie dies

Kimiko rips out an eye

Ryan dies

Becca dies

Shawarma scene at end

Oh come on man these are totally illogical I was trying to keep things on the program :magemage:

E: mother's milk drinks homies spare milk and roids out for a fight to the death so the gang can escape

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 8, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I really do think stan is Vought. I think it's going to be "gave myself powers but I can't keep a body" type poo poo.

I also think they should do a post credits avengers spoof, but that's more of just a laugh.

Becca IDK, but Ryan won't die, obviously. He's probably going to be the mugguffin for next season.

BurritoJustice posted:

E: mother's milk drinks homies spare milk and roids out for a fight to the death so the gang can escape
this I believe

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Shawarma scene at end

They need to do a scene with The Seven just silently eating shawarma together, giving each other death glares the whole time. That would be perfect.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

It's hilarious how much the show writers take the piss out of the phoniness of the actor/celebrity marketing routine.

But, the show's own marketeers are so myopic they still unironically do that exact same style of marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZSuU1gdJTg

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The “orcs are coded as black people” thing always struck me as a “telling on yourself” kind of situation. I played dungeons and dragons in a multi-racial environment in a major city at the LGS and it was only after years of playing with POC IRL that I saw that kind of attitude online, and the black players in my group felt more insulted by the idea that other players think Orcs look like black people are than by the idea that Orcs might be based on black people.

The JK Rowling goblins are 100% racist for sure, but the Orcs thing I just never bought or understood at all, and neither did any of my black gaming friends.

Everyone agrees that LotR is bad tho, for other reasons.

Edit: oh our DM did really have beef with Drow though! The “Drow are always evil” alignment bulls hit chapped his buns badly, and he got rid of “explicitly evil races” years and years ago. The black elves just being evil elves is way more 100% bald racist attitudes than the orcs thing.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 8, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The “orcs are coded as black people” thing always struck me as a “telling on yourself” kind of situation. I played dungeons and dragons in a multi-racial environment in a major city at the LGS and it was only after years of playing with POC IRL that I saw that kind of attitude online, and the black players in my group felt more insulted by the idea that other players think Orcs look like black people are than by the idea that Orcs might be based on black people.

The JK Rowling goblins are 100% racist for sure, but the Orcs thing I just never bought or understood at all, and neither did any of my black gaming friends.

Everyone agrees that LotR is bad tho, for other reasons.

I think it's weird in D&D because Barbarians are very much traditional white 'Conan the Barbarian' types, and D&D Orks are basically super-barbarians.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I've never heard of the “orcs are coded as black people” thing except for this thread and I think it's weird and seems like a reach.

I'm not interested in getting into another massive derail in this thread that has been full of them though.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Stormfront compares MM to an orc because of some stupid book she read in her youth and he puts her through a wall and then takes the gang for donuts