Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I keep wanting to do my own Halloween projects, but with all the essential stuff I have to finish up, I'll probably end up caving in and getting everything from the dollar store.

Funny enough, I had the exact opposite experience where I ended up trying to paint over the wainscoting with paint that included primer. After three or four coats, I ended up just buying actual primer for the other rooms. Made my life a whole lot easier.

First coat you always want to use appropriate primer. I should have just bought cheap interior primer, it's not like this stuff is going to be up more than 30 days a year. I'm not a smart person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Some Guy From NY posted:

I had my cabinets painted this past July by CertaPro. I got 3 estimates; the other 2 from local companies, and all were in the low $5k range.

CertaPro sprayed my cabinets and set up a make shift paint booth in my basement and sprayed the doors there, front and back. They did not paint the inside of the cabinets - only up to and including the lip of the doors. The other 2 companies would have done the same. I also had new hardware installed.

It was a tremendous undertaking, but the quality is very good, especially since it was sprayed. They painted and then clear-coated with a satin finish.

Before and After:

Walls painted in this photo (ignore the mess)

Certa Pro also painted my entire 2300 sqft house. The painting alone was $5k. So to put it into perspective, painting the entire house was the same as just the cabinets.

We hired Certa Pro to paint ONE room in my house. Our living room. It is about 300-400 sq ft but has a vaulted ceiling that was hard for us to get to.

They charged $2k (less than the local companies quoted) and ended up sending 1 random guy. A contractor not officially employed by CP.

He took 5 days to do it.

Five. And the job was poo poo. But the first day he started... our baby decided to come 2 weeks early so I didn't have it in me to deal with it or even talk to CP. Wish I would have asked for a refund on second thought.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

well i put a few 75w 2700s in places and a pair of 100ws above my game table and they're a bit better

...then i found out my ceiling fan glass won't go over a standard A19 shape bulb and it only accomodates CFLs

who the gently caress does that

edit: i guess i could pop the plastic globes off the LED bulbs? they're just for show anyway

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 8, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

well i put a few 75w 2700s in places and a pair of 100ws above my game table and they're a bit better

...then i found out my ceiling fan glass won't go over a standard A19 shape bulb and it only accomodates CFLs

who the gently caress does that

edit: i guess i could pop the plastic globes off the LED bulbs? they're just for show anyway

I had this problem swapping out regular incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I wound up just buying a bunch of similar ones and trying them until I found one that fit. I'm dreading replacing it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I had this problem swapping out regular incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I wound up just buying a bunch of similar ones and trying them until I found one that fit. I'm dreading replacing it.

Really? Maybe an incandescent would fit, not that i'm going to try but I thought incandescents and LEDs were both A19 shape. It had curly CFLs in there before and those are the goddamn worst so out they go.

Edit: i guess they're a tiny bit bigger?

They're definitely bigger than CFLs

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

Really? Maybe an incandescent would fit, not that i'm going to try but I thought incandescents and LEDs were both A19 shape. It had curly CFLs in there before and those are the goddamn worst so out they go.

Edit: i guess they're a tiny bit bigger?

They're definitely bigger than CFLs

That picture is basically exactly my problem with the light in my hallway. It's a hair longer from tip to base and the glass globe doesn't fit because the bulb bottoms out on it. Bought 4 different ones from home depot and took the bag up on the ladder with me, one fit, returned the rest (or put them elsewhere.) As you said, you can literally just file off the plastic to make it flat if you're off by a mm or two.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

That picture is basically exactly my problem with the light in my hallway. It's a hair longer from tip to base and the glass globe doesn't fit because the bulb bottoms out on it. Bought 4 different ones from home depot and took the bag up on the ladder with me, one fit, returned the rest (or put them elsewhere.) As you said, you can literally just file off the plastic to make it flat if you're off by a mm or two.

in my case i'm off by more than a mm

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

in my case i'm off by more than a mm

You might try one of those dedicated lightbulb websites, looking at the different shapes they sell. Someone might make just what you need. Or suck it up and use a CFL you have to replace every few years. They have gotten better at hard starts.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

You might try one of those dedicated lightbulb websites, looking at the different shapes they sell. Someone might make just what you need. Or suck it up and use a CFL you have to replace every few years. They have gotten better at hard starts.

I mean, the fans are getting replaced, so i'll just get some that are a19 compatible.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The diffuser on the LED bulb is just a bit of plastic, you could hack off the end if you wanted.
Might cause a bright spot depending on your luminaire though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was doing the ikea kitchen planner for a frameless cabinet design, this seems weird to me but maybe it's normal. I have framed cabinets, and on one side the counter top is 9' long. From left to right the cabinet widths are 21" for the left cabinet, then 39" for the under the sink cabinets, then 24" width dishwasher, then 21" again for the right cabinet. This gives 105", the extra three inches is a slight gap on both sides of the dishwasher, and then the countertop overhangs on the right side a few inches.

With the ikea frameless cabinets, you get the same total width, but it's split up a bit differently:

24" left cabinet - 36" sink cabinet - 24" dishwasher space - 24" right cabinet = 108"

Basically my existing countertop wouldn't overhang at all, but it seems like the sink placement would be slightly off. The sink itself is 33" wide, which would mean it should be centered with the sink cabinet, but if you used the ikea cabinets with my countertop, it wouldn't be aligned properly - it would be "left justified" above the sink cabinet.

basically, for some reason my sink cabinet is 39", which is not a standard size at all. If it was 36" which is very much a standard size, and the left cabinet was 24" it would be fine, but it's not so I'm annoyed.

edit: I guess actually I could do 21" left and then do two 1.5" filler pieces on both sides of the 36" sink cabinet?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 8, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Deviant posted:

let's talk about light bulbs.

what color temperatures y'all like for bedroom/bathroom/main space?

2700K seems too yellow for my liking.

Halogen on dimmers (preferably sine wave dimmers tho idk if they exist outside of theaters). Looks great super bright, even better dimmed down.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have the absolute lowest light possible, but I have an issue related to large pupil size. Having dimmers on stuff is always nice though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Deviant posted:

let's talk about light bulbs.

what color temperatures y'all like for bedroom/bathroom/main space?

2700K seems too yellow for my liking.

Phillips hue.

(You can thank me later)

Enos Cabell posted:

We replaced the 4 bulbs in our living room ceiling fan fixture with Philips Hue bulbs and absolutely love it. We actually use different color schemes quite a bit more than I figured we would, it makes a pretty huge difference.

This guy gets it!

Honestly the white ambiance hues are good enough, I never touch the colors in the rooms I put them in. They are stupidly fun to play with at first though!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I have the absolute lowest light possible, but I have an issue related to large pupil size. Having dimmers on stuff is always nice though.

The best apartment I lived in had dimmers on all lights. Even the shitter, which was glorious when I was hungover

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I did 3000k in all bedrooms, bathroom. and the living room lights in my great room.

3500k for the kitchen, with 3000k for the pendants. The brightness helps with cooking and makes the kitchen lively.

2700k indeed is too warm for me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

luminalflux posted:

The best apartment I lived in had dimmers on all lights. Even the shitter, which was glorious when I was hungover
I changed my switches to dimmers when I moved into my apartment. It's super easy and baths feel very fancy

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

BonoMan posted:

We hired Certa Pro to paint ONE room in my house. Our living room. It is about 300-400 sq ft but has a vaulted ceiling that was hard for us to get to.

They charged $2k (less than the local companies quoted) and ended up sending 1 random guy. A contractor not officially employed by CP.

He took 5 days to do it.

Five. And the job was poo poo. But the first day he started... our baby decided to come 2 weeks early so I didn't have it in me to deal with it or even talk to CP. Wish I would have asked for a refund on second thought.

Wow, I was afraid of something like that happening, but thankfully they did a great job. It was 3 guys, yes they are contractors (that's how CertaPro works) but they did come wearing CertaPro gear/ truck said CertaPro. It took the 3 guys only 6 days to spackle/sand/paint my entire house and kitchen cabinets. Very friendly guys who even gave me their personal phone number in case there were issues I found later (there weren't). CertaPro was 1k more expensive than a 1 of the local companies and almost 7k less than the other local company.

I guess the best thing to do is read reviews and see if you can get references for any contractor.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

5000k everywhere for everything, as is proper. I don't understand how people can stand everything being yellow all the time.

Deviant posted:

What do you mean it only accommodates CFLs? The bulb bases are standardized and you can get a 60w equivalent LED that should be small enough to fit pretty easily, e.g. these are a standard E26 base but the bulb is an A15.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wallet posted:

5000k everywhere for everything, as is proper. I don't understand how people can stand everything being yellow all the time.

What do you mean it only accommodates CFLs? The bulb bases are standardized and you can get a 60w equivalent LED that should be small enough to fit pretty easily, e.g. these are a standard E26 base but the bulb is an A15.

I mean there isn't physically room to put the fan diffused glass back on when globe style led bulbs are installed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Some Guy From NY posted:

Wow, I was afraid of something like that happening, but thankfully they did a great job. It was 3 guys, yes they are contractors (that's how CertaPro works) but they did come wearing CertaPro gear/ truck said CertaPro. It took the 3 guys only 6 days to spackle/sand/paint my entire house and kitchen cabinets. Very friendly guys who even gave me their personal phone number in case there were issues I found later (there weren't). CertaPro was 1k more expensive than a 1 of the local companies and almost 7k less than the other local company.

I guess the best thing to do is read reviews and see if you can get references for any contractor.

Yeah my guy, who was totally nice, was just some dude in an altima that showed up. At the end I realized he was the CP guys bestie so he was probably just throwing a friend a job instead of going through any real contractors

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Wallet posted:

The research on blue light keeping you up at night is pretty conclusive.

I can understand wanting white, daylight style colour temperature in the day, in areas where you’re doing work like the kitchen.

Naturally though, when the sun starts to set (most of the day this time of year) it gets more yellow, and so it’s natural for people to want more yellow lighting, especially at night.

I have hue bulbs in most rooms, dimmers in others, with special Philips dimmable LED bulbs which become more yellow when dimmed (like at night).

This seems a good balance to me.

With hue bulbs it’s pretty easy to setup to use a different colour profile for the time of day in your region, so it matches what the sun is doing.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

wooger posted:

5000k is pretty neutral, but I also don't leave strong lighting on late in the day. A lot of the bulbs in my living areas are full spectrum (for plants).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Deviant posted:

I mean there isn't physically room to put the fan diffused glass back on when globe style led bulbs are installed.

Here ya go. Found these at HD awhile back and they work great for your exact problem. There’s also different color temps available as well.

wooger posted:

I can understand wanting white, daylight style colour temperature in the day, in areas where you’re doing work like the kitchen.

Naturally though, when the sun starts to set (most of the day this time of year) it gets more yellow, and so it’s natural for people to want more yellow lighting, especially at night.

I have hue bulbs in most rooms, dimmers in others, with special Philips dimmable LED bulbs which become more yellow when dimmed (like at night).

This seems a good balance to me.

With hue bulbs it’s pretty easy to setup to use a different colour profile for the time of day in your region, so it matches what the sun is doing.

Neat, I’m going to have to explore this feature! I hadn’t considered using them like this.

I just really like being able to change a color temperature for a given room because sometimes things will look better in one light or another, and it largely feels arbitrary. I just really like hue far more than any other smart bulb I’ve tried tying into my home automation controller because they’re nearly instantaneous as they respond to a local controller. Hue has been far more reliable for me, and the excellent color optimization is just icing on the cake. Worth the extra couple of bucks upfront imho.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
5000k would drive me insane. I have a coworker that does this at her house and almost all walls and cabinets and whatnot are white too. It looks.. 'crisp' but holy poo poo I'd go insane.

I mentioned earlier that my interall lighting is all 2300k or whatever but neglected to mention that the most window-ey area of my house faces south so I get a ton of natural daylight and tend to not have lights on at all during the day. So the 2300k is mostly for darker times such as night and morning, when that would be more natural to a human anyway (candle light, sunrise, sunset).

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Are there any posts in this massive thread about the first year of first home ownership? We decided to build a home for our first and the builder believes it should be completed by Thanksgiving. While my wife is finding services that can offer room designs so we can buy furniture and such (we decided to just donate all of our furniture when our rental lease ended), I'm trying to take note of any first timer advice I can find. I notice a lot of it is geared towards "first home" resale properties. Not only will our home be new, we will also be new to home ownership. We've been in apartments this whole time.

Anyway, if there have been posts that seem to fit what I'm talking about, I'd love to check them out. Also, I do have a few questions off the top of my head, if I may:

* My parents recently moved to an area with hard water and insisted on getting a whole-house water softener system to avoid damaging the pipes. We are building in a state that also has hard water, but the builder didn't offer a water softener as an option. The builder said he lived in the area for decades and never bothered with one. Is a whole-house water softener system a must-have in a new home build? Are the modern pipes susceptible to build up?

* How are wires snaked through a house with a slab foundation? We're pre-wiring most rooms with ethernet, but I'd like to know about this for the future. I've seen videos about basements and crawl spaces, but we will have neither.

* Garage floor coating/sealing? Is it worth the cost/trouble? We didn't have the builder do it, but it's something I'm wondering about. I wonder also if this is an easy DIY thing?

* Ryobi. I know people who swear by them. I'm considering their electric brushless mower, as our yard is super super small (0.14 acres). Is this a junk brand or worth it for small jobs?

* Any clever garage storage options? With no basement, we're looking at the garage for storage... with two cars in there.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 8, 2020

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Macintosh HD posted:

* Ryobi. I know people who swear by them. I'm considering their electric brushless mower, as our yard is super super small. Is this a junk brand or worth it for small jobs?

* Any clever garage storage options? With no basement, we're looking at the garage for storage... with two cars in there.

Can’t speak to any new home stuff, but depending on your definition of super small yard, I’d heartily suggest looking into a push/reel mower. Easy, quiet, cheap, and imo they lower the energy required to get started on the mowing chore.

Storage (for reference, we have a basement but no garage at all or usable attic space, one closet in each bedroom and that’s basically it)- number 1 rule is be thoughtful of what you bring in your home and where you’ll put it. Limit junk and have a home for things. That said, one big advantage to owning rather than renting is being able to make careful use of wall and overhead storage systems. Inventory what you need to store, what you plan to need to store, and the space you have to do it in. Pare down, and sort through the different systems out there. A lot of people jump into buying a system but don’t examine *what* they need to store and end up with wasted (or carelessly filled) space.

Give yourself some time to figure out what you need before throwing up shelves.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I suppose it's super small. 0.14 acres, lol. This seems to be pretty standard for new homes, I'm finding, but it's significantly smaller than my childhood home, for instance.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ryobi is a good enough brand.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I figure a 0.14 acre lot is fine for "good enough". There's an HOA so it has to stay neat and tidy, but buying some fancy gas mower seemed dumb.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Macintosh HD posted:

Are there any posts in this massive thread about the first year of first home ownership? We decided to build a home for our first and the builder believes it should be completed by Thanksgiving. While my wife is finding services that can offer room designs so we can buy furniture and such (we decided to just donate all of our furniture when our rental lease ended), I'm trying to take note of any first timer advice I can find. I notice a lot of it is geared towards "first home" resale properties. Not only will our home be new, we will also be new to home ownership. We've been in apartments this whole time.

Anyway, if there have been posts that seem to fit what I'm talking about, I'd love to check them out. Also, I do have a few questions off the top of my head, if I may:

* Garage floor coating/sealing? Is it worth the cost/trouble? We didn't have the builder do it, but it's something I'm wondering about. I wonder also if this is an easy DIY thing?

* Ryobi. I know people who swear by them. I'm considering their electric brushless mower, as our yard is super super small (0.14 acres). Is this a junk brand or worth it for small jobs?

fake edit: might come back later with some more thoughts on a first year in a new build but gotta run right now

* I wish I'd had our garage floor epoxy coated before we moved in, now I probably won't hassle with it but I might go with a garage flooring tile system that can be laid without having to take everything out of the garage at the same time.
* Another vote for a reel mower with an electric trimmer for edging work. I have a lot that's 50% larger than yours but the HOA cuts the front part. Reel works great and is significantly cheaper and stores in a smaller footprint. I do everything including edging in 15 minutes.
* Depends a bit on your actual garage dimensions but metal shelving that stands on the floor is probably some of the easiest you can do. If you have a high ceiling the ceiling mount metal storage shelves are great. I like the geartrack system for hanging garden tools but honestly I'm probably going to get a small shed for the backyard to put yard stuff in to get more garage space for other stuff.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

tangy yet delightful posted:

fake edit: might come back later with some more thoughts on a first year in a new build but gotta run right now

* I wish I'd had our garage floor epoxy coated before we moved in, now I probably won't hassle with it but I might go with a garage flooring tile system that can be laid without having to take everything out of the garage at the same time.

Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-4-in-x-18-4-in-Gray-PVC-Garage-Flooring-Tile-6-Pack-HDTRP6DG/312535726 ?

That seems to be a pretty good compromise.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
How’s that saying go, projects beget projects? I was up on the ladder this afternoon working on replacing the caulking on the front window header boards, look over, and spot this:

I swear I’m gonna end up spending $200+ in caulk alone by the time I’m done with all the exterior crack TLC that needs to happen.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

We just bought a house but haven't moved in yet, though we've mowed the yard a couple times.

Nthing reel mower with electric trimmer. We have the Fiskar's max reel mower which works fine (some reviews say it's a little heavy & the Scott I think is lighter) and a Ryobi cordless trimmer. It's so nice not having to screw around with oil and fuel and fighting the drat thing to start just to mow the lawn.

devmd01 posted:

How’s that saying go, projects beget projects? I was up on the ladder this afternoon working on replacing the caulking on the front window header boards, look over, and spot this:

I swear I’m gonna end up spending $200+ in caulk alone by the time I’m done with all the exterior crack TLC that needs to happen.

Uh I'm no brick expert but I don't think you're supposed to caulk that?

E: I forgot I have my own problem(s)!

The walls in my house are comically thin. It's framed by 2x4s. Including drywall and cladding, the walls are only 6" thick. As far as I can tell, there's no sort of vapor/moisture barrier.

I have the drywall off one of the exterior walls, and the sheathing in one of the stud bays is almost completely rotten. There isn't a clear pattern where I can identify water intrusion, so I'm worried this might be condensation caused by filling the bay with insulation.

Is there any way to go about preventing this without rewrapping the entire house?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 9, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Caulk, mortar repair, whatever you wanna call it. It all gets squeezed out by the same drat tool lol.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They make “mortar repair” caulk that’s designed for stuff like that. It’s super gritty and a pain in the rear end to smooth out but it blends in ok.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Aren't most walls framed with 2x4? Mine are just drywall>2x4>hardboard>brick. No insulation even.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

NomNomNom posted:

Aren't most walls framed with 2x4? Mine are just drywall>2x4>hardboard>brick. No insulation even.

Exterior walls in places that actually require insulation based on the regional climate are at least 2x6.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

The Dave posted:

Ryobi is a good enough brand.
Recently replaced my 2005 vintage Dewalt tools with new Ryobi and the Ryobi is as good or better as far as power and battery life. Maybe not as good as 2020 Dewalt, but better than 15 year old Dewalt.

And cheap enough that I bought a fan and a light on a lark and they are basically life changing. Not sure if there is much more decadent than working in the back yard on a muggy August day with a cordless fan blowing on you to keep you cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I fukken love my sack of Ryobi tools. I only had to add a hedge trimmer to cover all my household needs for 3 years

I really appreciate that it came with a legit battery tender and 2 batteries