Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

HppyCmpr posted:

I've never heard of the “orcs are coded as black people” thing except for this thread and I think it's weird and seems like a reach.
tl;dr: orcs are more often than not coded after old times horrible "dark Africa" stereotypes and are not meant to represent real life black people (unless it's Bright going full circle on the racial coding).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8
Start at 24mins in for the "fantasy races and coding" part - starting from LotR and culminating in Bright (or 27.15 for the orc part specifically; and to specify that originally Tolkien coded orcs after the Mongols, but of course things have changed over time).

EDIT: or to keep the thing even more close to the original discussion, D&D orcs are a race of dark skinned, physically imposing, large mouthed, flat nosed, almost-simian savages; or in the "best" case scenario, they are "noble savages". The colonial era "dark Africa" themes in them are not exactly subtle. There are variations on this of course - Tolkien coded them as Mongols, Warcraft orcs started more like D&D ones and are now coded more like native americans - but the tribal, primitive coding is often depicted in a way that is incredibly close to the way someone like Robert E. Howard would depict "real life" indigenous people in a Solomon Kane or Conan story.

A D&D 5e orc.

But this is probably unrelated to The Boys.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Asgerd posted:

Crossed is practically un-adaptable, since if you were to jettison the dumb edgelord poo poo there's literally nothing left. It's just a completely worthless premise.

"What if smart, evil possessed people who spread like zombies" is workable without all the RAPE RAPE RAPE.

The best (or I guess only parts I enjoyed) of Crossed were about all the different settings of the OH poo poo 0 day turning.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The “orcs are coded as black people” thing always struck me as a “telling on yourself” kind of situation. I played dungeons and dragons in a multi-racial environment in a major city at the LGS and it was only after years of playing with POC IRL that I saw that kind of attitude online, and the black players in my group felt more insulted by the idea that other players think Orcs look like black people are than by the idea that Orcs might be based on black people.

The JK Rowling goblins are 100% racist for sure, but the Orcs thing I just never bought or understood at all, and neither did any of my black gaming friends.

Everyone agrees that LotR is bad tho, for other reasons.

Edit: oh our DM did really have beef with Drow though! The “Drow are always evil” alignment bulls hit chapped his buns badly, and he got rid of “explicitly evil races” years and years ago. The black elves just being evil elves is way more 100% bald racist attitudes than the orcs thing.

Where do you stand on gollywog? The character was created as a tadpole person, but was co-opted by popular culture in a way that led to the spread of blackface, and is the likely origin of the formerly*-derogatory term "wog".

*At least in my community. No idea about others. No offence intended.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That Italian Guy posted:

Start at 24mins in for the "fantasy races and coding" part - starting from LotR and culminating in Bright (or 27.15 for the orc part specifically; and to specify that originally Tolkien coded orcs after the Mongols, but of course things have changed over time).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8

Or read this two-part article that really digs into how orcs have been portrayed using the same coded racial signifiers used by colonizers to other the colonized:

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/1/13/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-i-a-species-built-for-racial-terror
https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/6/30/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-ii-theyre-not-human

Orcs (and really, any "evil/antagonistic barbaric fantasy species) rely heavily on colonialist narratives; it's more complex than simply "orcs are coded as black people" but it is 100% a real thing and not even remotely a stretch or "telling on yourself."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Where do you stand on gollywog? The character was created as a tadpole person, but was co-opted by popular culture in a way that led to the spread of blackface, and is the likely origin of the formerly*-derogatory term "wog".

*At least in my community. No idea about others. No offence intended.

I’ve never heard of this character or this word before just this moment so I googled it and I guess Ive seen dolls like this in old movies or whatever and just always assumed that it was like an extremely dated racist trope. you don’t see dolls like that anymore.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If we're going to be prejudiced against any fantasy races, I think it has to be the elves. I don't trust 'em.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I wonder if that was all we see of Butcher's dad. It was kind of a small scene and the fact they got John Noble in for that makes me wonder if it's a case of "he was in the neighborhood" or if he comes back later. I don't really see much point to that since he seems like a real deal rear end in a top hat, unless (my speculation) Butcher later loses it and kills him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

davidspackage posted:

I wonder if that was all we see of Butcher's dad. It was kind of a small scene and the fact they got John Noble in for that makes me wonder if it's a case of "he was in the neighborhood" or if he comes back later. I don't really see much point to that since he seems like a real deal rear end in a top hat, unless (my speculation) Butcher later loses it and kills him.

They said multiple times that he’s going to be dead in a couple of months so...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'd imagine John Noble is just in a sweet spot of recognizable, but not especially expensive.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Aphrodite posted:

I'd imagine John Noble is just in a sweet spot of recognizable, but not especially expensive.

Also his casting lets the marketing department play up the Lord of the Rings "reunion" angle. (Even though I'm pretty sure Karl Urban and John Noble never actually shared screen time and it would have made way more sense to cast Bernard Hill if that's the angle you want to generate buzz.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

....I never realized Karl Urban was in Lord of the Rings. He's been in so many things I liked and never knew it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

....I never realized Karl Urban was in Lord of the Rings. He's been in so many things I liked and never knew it.

lol and i never realized John Noble was in it!

but yeah, basically:

Johnny Truant posted:

Karl Urban is a goddamn worldly treasure :swoon:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

GimpInBlack posted:

Also his casting lets the marketing department play up the Lord of the Rings "reunion" angle. (Even though I'm pretty sure Karl Urban and John Noble never actually shared screen time and it would have made way more sense to cast Bernard Hill if that's the angle you want to generate buzz.)

My wife and I have definitely had a "LotR reunion!" moment before realizing Urban was the prince of Rohan while Noble was the king of Gondor.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The boys is a really good example of a show in which all of the actors are very obviously enjoying themselves and it’s coming out in all of their performances. nobody’s being directed to hold back or restrain in any meaningful way they get to be exactly who they want to be on screen and I think that’s why the show is such a delight

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
As much as I poo poo on the comic I find the idea of herogasm hilarious because they cover it up to the public by saying theres some Darkseid/Thanos threat they need to do a giant crossover event with every hero to stop. And the coverup WORKS. Man writing was different before everyone had a camera phone with internet access.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve never heard of this character or this word before just this moment so I googled it and I guess Ive seen dolls like this in old movies or whatever and just always assumed that it was like an extremely dated racist trope. you don’t see dolls like that anymore.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you definitely do in the UK and Australia.

A lot of people see golliwogs like the Dutch view Santa's slave, Zwarte Piet- "It's not racist, it's history. So I refuse to examine it any further or give it up."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh wait is that the same thing as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ilvFaFK7c

because JJ does a pretty good job here letting these people hang themselves, I think.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That Italian Guy posted:

My wife and I have definitely had a "LotR reunion!" moment before realizing Urban was the prince of Rohan while Noble was the king of Gondor.

I mean, Noble was very specifically NOT the King of Gondor, but yeah.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you definitely do in the UK and Australia.

A lot of people see golliwogs like the Dutch view Santa's slave, Zwarte Piet- "It's not racist, it's history. So I refuse to examine it any further or give it up."

Yeah, saw a lot of them in Montreal, too, along with the at-least-once-a-year "goddammit, some comedy show did another blackface sketch."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

tl;dr: orcs are more often than not coded after old times horrible "dark Africa" stereotypes and are not meant to represent real life black people (unless it's Bright going full circle on the racial coding).

I never got the connection as a black kid.

Was weirded out on a certain level with the movies just being chock full of good blonde ppl tho.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GimpInBlack posted:

Yeah, saw a lot of them in Montreal, too, along with the at-least-once-a-year "goddammit, some comedy show did another blackface sketch."

Really? Huh, I've never seen them here.

French Canadian media sure does love their blackface though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Switzerland too.

They're a weird object though, since they're explicitly involved in a bunch of racist discourse, but their origin - Noddy I think - isn't racist at all.

It's kind of like a Swastika. You start waving one around, you're definitely a racist. But they're IIRC Hindu.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

That Italian Guy posted:

Same here - I realized "oh! They played father and son before!" and then further realized "...wait, no they didn't. Still kind of cool, I guess?"

Also, just since you don't win the bracket by picking the favorite, I'll enter my speculation that Ryan is the head-popper. Why? How? No idea.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

There's no Canada like French Canada,
It's the most racist Canada in the land.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Head Pop is just the new version of Fresca, watch.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, Noble was very specifically NOT the King of Gondor, but yeah.

:doh:

The Steward, yeah.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

While watching the aftershow last week and looking at IMDB I learned that Karl Urban played Cupid and Julius Caesar on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. When he's Cupid he is hair is blonde and he looks like Billy Idol.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Antony Starr needs to star as Booster Gold in his own series. He was born for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Antony Starr needs to star as Booster Gold in his own series. He was born for it.

I've gotten so used to hearing Diedrich Bader's voice in the rare instances I think about Booster Gold that it might be weird. A lot less people have watched Justice League Action, though, simply because it's not as "gritty" as JLU was.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

10 Beers posted:

While watching the aftershow last week and looking at IMDB I learned that Karl Urban played Cupid and Julius Caesar on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. When he's Cupid he is hair is blonde and he looks like Billy Idol.

lmao

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hercules was some Grade A 90s fantasy schlock.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've gotten so used to hearing Diedrich Bader's voice in the rare instances I think about Booster Gold that it might be weird. A lot less people have watched Justice League Action, though, simply because it's not as "gritty" as JLU was.

I'm thinking start with the origin, focus entirely on BG for at least the first half of the first season, maybe keep him in the future for a few episodes. I just think "egotistical, fraudulent failure from the future tries to reinvent his life as a superhero in the past" is a great prompt these days and Starr could carry it easily.

e: vvv sorbo was always a sex pest hyperchud, we were all just blissfully ignorant before the internet was a thing

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 8, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It’s a pretty serious bummer that Sorbo turned into a sex pest hyperchud

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Also:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh. oh my. that's some fine Urban you got there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'm convinced Hercules and Xena were responsible for a lot of sexual awakenings in the millennial gen.

What a dumb, fun set of shows.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GimpInBlack posted:

You can still find dolls with the whole mammy thing, red and white polka dresses included, in Mexican markets. Hell, 2020 comedy shows still do black and brown face. One of most "beloved" pop culture characters is a racist caricature. The creator and creator's grandchildren would always shield behind the "We didn't know~ It was other times~ let's reprint the racist comics again!"

gently caress racism that's what I'm trying to say.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Good lord. Urban is oozing sex in this picture.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Well hello. Beware the ides of my pants.

Veni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lol