Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Weaponized Autism posted:

Nah it has to be Perkins.

Wtf. Perkins is ambrosia compared to dogshit like applebee's. Like, they can't gently caress up pancakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I spent a week in a hotel in South Philly last year, and though I'd never usually eat at Traplbee's, it was the only restaurant in walking distance.

Food was surprisingly decent, priced well, drinks were good, and it had no-poo poo fantastic service from the bartender. I was pleasantly surprised.
There are literally no Applebee's in South Philly, and that part of the city is packed with restaurants, so I have no idea where you think you were.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Friday's used to be my favorite sit-down chain restaurant but they went downhill. I link it specifically to the moment when they removed the parmesan-crusted sicilian chicken quesadilla from their menu and added a dessert called "Oreo Madness". For like $6 or something, you get an ice cream sandwich (cookies & cream on somewhat large Oreo cookies) that feels like it came straight out of a package, on a long plate with some chocolate syrup drizzled next to it. It literally felt like an insult on a plate.

Houlihan's took its place in my book. I'm not sure how widespread they are though. And I haven't really been there in a few years. I suspect they'll all gradually shift down to Applebee's level.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

the only reason to go to denny's is they used to be 24 hours when the other chain restaurants weren't so if you were out after a night of clubbing or a concert or something it was a good place to fill yourself with calories at 3 in the morning

Denny's is a weird niche. You have the post high school 18-20 thing where, it's Saturday night after 9:00 and you don't want to go home, but really can't go anywhere else.

How Rude posted:

Wtf. Perkins is ambrosia compared to dogshit like applebee's. Like, they can't gently caress up pancakes

I figured Perkins went out of business since the one near me closed like a year ago. I went there once after a goon talked it up in a post, and I wasn't that impressed, and never made a point at stopping again since Waffle House was in walking distance.

Straight White Shark posted:

the last time I went to Applebee's I ordered a cajun spice chicken breast

it tasted like pure uncut thyme

Applebee's is pure boomer food. When I still lived with my parents, I swear that was the only place they'd go out to eat. They've moved a few times since then, and I think they only eat Little Caesar's now, my dad talks it up every time as if it was the best loving pizza ever invented.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve only eaten breakfast at Perkins and it was fine

Definitely above Denny’s

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Iron Crowned posted:

I figured Perkins went out of business since the one near me closed like a year ago. I went there once after a goon talked it up in a post

Said goon was permabanned for this, right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like Denny's went seriously down hill somewhere around 2010. It was always junk food but if you just wanted some bacon, eggs, and pancakes sort of meal and didn't know of any local diners it was a decent option. But then their meals started resembling a deconstructed mcmuffin, quality-wise.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They got rid of the Breakfast Dagwood and it was all downhill from there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had the The Hobbit tie‐in breakfast for the novelty.

It was surprisingly decent, but I haven’t set foot in a Denny’s since.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

I had the The Hobbit tie‐in breakfast for the novelty.

It was surprisingly decent, but I haven’t set foot in a Denny’s since.

I haven't set foot in a Denny's since I moved to Cincinnati 8 years ago, there are no Denny's locations here, and the closest one is 45 minutes away, so gently caress that.

If I"m going to drive 45 minutes for breakfast, I'm going to Tudor's Biscuit World.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't set foot in a Denny's since I moved to Cincinnati 8 years ago, there are no Denny's locations here, and the closest one is 45 minutes away, so gently caress that.

If I"m going to drive 45 minutes for breakfast, I'm going to Tudor's Biscuit World.

I would like to know more about this Tudor's Biscuit World.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I also worked at a steak n shake back in the day. It's fast food pretending to be a table service restaurant. It's ok for fast food, but it's a tier below Denny's.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would like to know more about this Tudor's Biscuit World.

It's apparently a West Virginia chain, but there's a location in Xenia, Ohio.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Friday's used to be my favorite sit-down chain restaurant but they went downhill. I link it specifically to the moment when they removed the parmesan-crusted sicilian chicken quesadilla from their menu and added a dessert called "Oreo Madness". For like $6 or something, you get an ice cream sandwich (cookies & cream on somewhat large Oreo cookies) that feels like it came straight out of a package, on a long plate with some chocolate syrup drizzled next to it. It literally felt like an insult on a plate.

Houlihan's took its place in my book. I'm not sure how widespread they are though. And I haven't really been there in a few years. I suspect they'll all gradually shift down to Applebee's level.

I was a big fan of Houlihan's in college. Their food is definitely a step up from Applebee's/Fridays but mostly I really liked the half off drinks on Mondays.

The two I knew about both closed recently though, so :rip:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You know, despite living Near a TGI Fridays for quite a while, I don't think I've ever been inside of one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Are there no Waffle Houses where you guys live????

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Silly Burrito posted:

There are here in Ohio, but there were none in both Kansas, and Washington, where I previously lived.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Steak ‘n Shake is good fast food and well priced. I wouldn’t put it in the Applebee’s category.

They have had management and quality issues , noticeable as of a few years ago, so I have mostly stayed away recently. They closed down the chains here for a re model, so maybe they’re better now ?

If I’m gonna pick a chain, I guess Red Robin ? Food is pretty good. My one brother in law loves it though, so I end up having way too many family things there (well, before Covid), so I’m a bit tired of it. Red Robin is also noticeably more expensive than the others too.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Isn't waffle house a southern chain or something? Or east coast. I've never seen one before (I live in MN)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

How Rude posted:

Isn't waffle house a southern chain or something? Or east coast. I've never seen one before (I live in MN)

Their epicenter is somewhere in Georgia. You know you're in Georgia because there is a Waffle House at every single exit.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, but at least with other restaurant chains I'm (slightly) less likely to get shiv'd by the cook.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If there’s no chance of a man in his underwear falling out of the ceiling, what is even the point?

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/underwear-clad-man-falls-through-waffle-house-ceiling-in-alabama.html

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah sometimes it's late enough that you want some diner food but you also don't have the energy for whatever may happen at waffle house

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Waffle House is the only chain where there's a nonzero chance you'll have to walk back to the kitchen and make your own order, and that's powerful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
On the other hand, there is the Waffle House Index. It may not be the best option, but it may be the only option.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes. F that place. 35 years ago, a 16 years old Cat rear end moved with his parents and younger siblings to the Bay Area. For "reasons", once we arrived at our new home town, one of the only places open was Souplantation. We were tired, hungry, sick of travel and snapping at each other. We took one step inside, looked around, took a deep smell, and as a family all came to the same conclusion. This place was going to kill us all if we ate there. We left and never went back.

Somehow it remained open until this year when the rona closed it temporarily, which was made permanent across all locations in May. Good riddance.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ground Round was my favorite as a kid. Cartoons playing AND you could throw peanut shells on the floor? Amazing.

Looks like they filed for Chapter 11 in 2004, but got bought.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It's strange, but of all the places I used to go and have a sit-down meal, Waffle House is in the top three of the places I miss. I didn't even go there all that often, but it's exactly want I want from a dine-in experience right now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That reminds me, when we lived in Wichita, there was a place called "Souper Salad." It's just that, it's soup and salad. gently caress that place, my brother would insist we go there for his birthday, because he knew it didn't have anything I would like. It was literally a mediocre salad bar, and all the soups were terrible.

The hosed up thing is he was like 20 at the time and still pulling petty things like that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I was at a Waffle House when I got the phone call that my mom had died. Couldn't bring myself to eat there for like a year. When I finally suggested it, my husband got the warmest smile and gave me a big hug.

On a less depressing note, the one we went to was right by Langley Air Force Base, and for the longest time the "L" in the sign was burnt out. It was naturally dubbed the Luftwaffe Haus.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Iron Crowned posted:

That reminds me, when we lived in Wichita, there was a place called "Souper Salad." It's just that, it's soup and salad. gently caress that place, my brother would insist we go there for his birthday, because he knew it didn't have anything I would like. It was literally a mediocre salad bar, and all the soups were terrible.

The hosed up thing is he was like 20 at the time and still pulling petty things like that.
it's closed now if that's any consolation. i always wondered what it was like in there, but never enough to go in because your assessment is what i expected

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Oh my God, Souper salad was so loving terrible

I went there once and left legitimately pissed off

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I have yet to find a single breakfast place that can make something as good and simple as the basic waffle house waffle.

Original Pancake House is the closet I can get but it's just not the same.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I used to work at a soup and salad bar called Lettuce Souprise You, so I always liked going to Sweet Tomatos. I’m mildly sad it’s gone now. Tuna tarragon, I’ll miss you.

We have a small fast food chain here called Martin’s. It’s food is completely unremarkable except everyday the breakfast drive-thru line stretches around the building and at least 20+ cars onto the street. Not even Chick-Fil-A has lines that long. I have no idea why their breakfasts are so popular.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hawowanlawow posted:

Oh my God, Souper salad was so loving terrible

I went there once and left legitimately pissed off

I'm positive that the only reason my brother liked it was to piss me off.

My parents probably genuinely liked it because they're boomers

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I used to work at a soup and salad bar called Lettuce Souprise You, so I always liked going to Sweet Tomatos. I’m mildly sad it’s gone now. Tuna tarragon, I’ll miss you.

We have a small fast food chain here called Martin’s. It’s food is completely unremarkable except everyday the breakfast drive-thru line stretches around the building and at least 20+ cars onto the street. Not even Chick-Fil-A has lines that long. I have no idea why their breakfasts are so popular.

Despite being a picky eater who hated vegetables as a kid I somehow loved going to Lettuce Souprise You and Sweet Tomatoes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It amazes be that Sizzler still exists

I remember being a kid in the early 90s and even at that time knowing it was bad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sizzler is the choice of America

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This isn't Sizzler but oh boy is it dead on for this discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=net7t1HjQxY

DO YA LIKE HOT FUDGE SUNDAES?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Their epicenter is somewhere in Georgia. You know you're in Georgia because there is a Waffle House at every single exit.

It started in Decatur, eastern part of the Atlanta metropolis. The original one is now a museum that's never open. Some companies might think let's use our corporate wealth to buy that lovely tire store next door and turn it into a functional restaurant to lure people to our tourist trap, but not Waffle House.

I don't know why Waffle House has a reputation for crazy beyond anywhere else that's open 24hrs. People get stabbed in the IHOP, too.