Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Byzantine posted:

what the gently caress

Those Romans were crazy.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

But Kanye isn't in the ...oh

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

As with so many aspects of 20th c. geopolitics, this really has to do primarily with the Cold War. During the civil war that followed WWII, Communist insurgents were particularly successful in the northern parts of Greece, the area the Greeks call Makedonia, which was home to many Slavic speakers. Greece has been since the early Medieval period inhabited by Slavs of various ethnic stripes, but once Greece became a battleground for the Communist-anti-Communist struggle, Greek Slavs were viewed as a fifth column for the Communist states to the north, while ethnic Greeks came to be viewed as the valiant warriors singlehandedly holding off the Red barbarians at the gates.

It's no coincidence that the 1950s-1960s was when the craziness surrounding the use of the name Makedonia kicked into overdrive.

Interesting, I've never heard this aspect of it before.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grand Fromage posted:

Closest I've seen to that is Tokyo. Get up to the observation deck at the government building in Shinjuku and look any direction, the only thing you'll see other than buildings are parks and the ocean.

The ocean or the bay? The building seems further inland than I expected. Anyway Tokyo is nuts

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I call shenanigans. No way Judea would vote for Biden

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t think Italy had 6x the population of Egypt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t think Italy had 6x the population of Egypt

They have all the senators though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Count Roland posted:

The Greek civil war is pretty notable because it was right after WW2 (or well, started during WW2 because killing communists was more important than wrapping up the fight vs fascists lol), was dirty as hell geopolitics including Churchill and Stalin, and places "gently caress your parliament and your constitution", spoken by Johnson to the Greek ambassador some 20 years later into amazing context.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Pakled posted:

This is an interesting map along the lines of what area is identified with each city.

edit: the question asked was "On the level of North America as a whole, what major city do you feel has the most cultural and economic influence on your area overall?"

Finally a map where Montreal beats Toronto

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rebel Blob posted:

There is "New York" and "New York City" as different areas, not to mention "Washington" and "Washington DC."

Probably because the map was generated by user input but they didn't do the smart thing in cases like that and combine those answers. That wasn't a good decision.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Pakled posted:

This is an interesting map along the lines of what area is identified with each city.

edit: the question asked was "On the level of North America as a whole, what major city do you feel has the most cultural and economic influence on your area overall?"

I like how some of these are outside of their area; for example, the people of Green River, Utah, feel like their primate city is Grand Junction, but the people of Grand Junction feel like their primate city is Denver.

As a resident of Cedar Rapids, I'm both offended and accepting of how eastern Iowa is mapped. That's another situation - Iowa City itself said Chicago, but the rural Iowa areas said Iowa City.

And no one said Cedar Rapids. :(

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pakled posted:

I'm the people in the northeastern tip of Minnesota who are part of the Detroit sphere of influence.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I thought Eastern Romans were stereotypically effete pagans - seem like Biden voters to me!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm the people in the northeastern tip of Minnesota who are part of the Detroit sphere of influence.

Detroit going for a cultural victory

I'm surprised too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That map would be more accurate if it had Biden winning all the places Romans actually lived like Syria and Italy and Asia and Trump winning all the low population backwaters like Britain and Noricum. I think some nerd just wanted to make the "Kanye Occidentalis" joke.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phlegmish posted:

Detroit going for a cultural victory

I'm surprised too

They should probably not sell off their artworks then.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

This made me wonder if there is any decent population density map of the roman empire, since Egypt seems to have a lot smaller representation than I would expect.

Google doesn't return great results:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Italy's electoral votes are nice.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Map of the Netherlands, with all places labeled with their first recorded name in history.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carbon dioxide posted:

Map of the Netherlands, with all places labeled with their first recorded name in history.

Shouldn't Flevoland be called "Zuyder Zee"?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Shouldn't Flevoland be called "Zuyder Zee"?

No. The Zuiderzee was formed in the 13th century. The area has always been swampy and in the year 43, the Roman geographer Pomponius Mela wrote about a "Lacus Flevo" or Lake Flevo, to which the Rhine flowed, and which surrounded an island with the same name, after which Lake Flevo narrows into a regular river that flows into the North Sea.

The name Flevo is definitely older than Zuiderzee, which only formed after that unnamed river started widening a lot.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

This made me wonder if there is any decent population density map of the roman empire, since Egypt seems to have a lot smaller representation than I would expect.

Egypt isn't a part of rome but is an entity privately held by the augustus. They are lucky they even get 11.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Lord Hydronium posted:

They're not; that's Duluth, it just happens to be the same color as Detroit. Duluth's a major port and has its own culture/history distinct from the Twin Cities/almost all the rest of MN.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

chairface posted:

They're not; that's Duluth, it just happens to be the same color as Detroit. Duluth's a major port and has its own culture/history distinct from the Twin Cities/almost all the rest of MN.

I think he means further northeast of Duluth where the blue is. Which is a reservation as far as I can tell, so maybe that's part of it. I imagine their sample size was like 1 or 2 people.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

chairface posted:

Duluth is green, I'm looking at the blue spot next to that. I'm not being too serious, though, the legend of the map itself calls it inaccurate, and I'm guessing it's just a weird artifact of the algorithm they used to place the colors.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Average Lettuce posted:

Google doesn't return great results:

We actually have the some of the best demographic data for Italy and Egypt of any parts of the Roman Empire. Based on the census of 28 BC, reasonable estimates of Italy's population place it in the range of c. 7 million free inhabitants in the early Empire. Based on scattered data obtained from preserved administrative papyri, reasonable estimates of Egypt's population fall into the c. 4-5 million free inhabitants range for the same period. So, yeah, that map is definitely wrong -- unless you factor in that much of the province of Egypt beyond the Nile valley and delta wasn't actually inhabited, in which case the inhabited parts of Egypt were probably more densely populated than those of Italy.

By the way, the best estimates put Rome into the c. 1 million inhabitants range, while Alexandria, the second largest city in the empire, had probably c. 400,000-600,000 inhabitants.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I didn't expect Italy to be bigger than Egypt. Although I should have given Egypt was famously feeding Italy during the height of the empire.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Count Roland posted:

Orange Devil posted:

The Greek civil war is pretty notable because it was right after WW2 (or well, started during WW2 because killing communists was more important than wrapping up the fight vs fascists lol), was dirty as hell geopolitics including Churchill and Stalin, and places "gently caress your parliament and your constitution", spoken by Johnson to the Greek ambassador some 20 years later into amazing context.

Yeah, one aspect of the Greek civil war that doesn't get talked about much outside of academic circles is the ethnic cleansing carried out by anti-Communist forces in the north of Greece. Lots of Slavic speakers were forcibly expelled northward. Of course, the Greeks lamented the cruel Turkish expulsion of Greeks from Anatolia during the Population Exchange, but then turned around and did the same to the Slavic minority in Greece itself.

The whole situation is ridiculous. The FYROM nationalists need to cut it out with their ridiculous projection of Slavic ethnic identity into antiquity, and the Greeks need to recognize that ethnonyms and toponyms do, in fact, shift in meaning over time, so that both Slavic speakers and Greeks can call themselves Macedonians.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't expect Italy to be bigger than Egypt. Although I should have given Egypt was famously feeding Italy during the height of the empire.

In antiquity, the inhabited parts of Egypt really only comprised the Nile valley and delta plus the Fayoum and a few oases. Its soil was very fertile, but the total cultivable and inhabitable area within Egypt wasn't actually that large.

Italy, on the other hand, has some very fertile land, but much more arable in general. Basically the two factors facilitating Roman military domination in the Mediterranean over the 3rd-1st c. BC were A) the Roman willingness to extend different forms of citizenship to subjugated peoples in Italy, and B) the massive amounts of manpower that granted its generals. For instance, the Roman citizen population probably grew from something on the order of 100,000 people c. 300 BC to well over 2 million by 200 BC through the extension of enfranchisement.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Have some crazy:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah, one aspect of the Greek civil war that doesn't get talked about much outside of academic circles is the ethnic cleansing carried out by anti-Communist forces in the north of Greece. Lots of Slavic speakers were forcibly expelled northward. Of course, the Greeks lamented the cruel Turkish expulsion of Greeks from Anatolia during the Population Exchange, but then turned around and did the same to the Slavic minority in Greece itself.

The whole situation is ridiculous. The FYROM nationalists need to cut it out with their ridiculous projection of Slavic ethnic identity into antiquity, and the Greeks need to recognize that ethnonyms and toponyms do, in fact, shift in meaning over time, so that both Slavic speakers and Greeks can call themselves Macedonians.

I don't really get why the bold part matters. It would be like Italy telling America they have to change their name because Amerigo was Florentian

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Starks posted:

I don't really get why the bold part matters. It would be like Italy telling America they have to change their name because Amerigo was Florentian

I'm not referring to the use of the name Macedonia -- that's fine. I'm referring to the FYROM nationalists who claim that the ancient Macedonians were Slavic-speaking peoples, and that Alexander the Great, for instance, was a Slav. This is patently untrue, because Slavic peoples didn't move into the Balkans until the 7th c. AD, almost a millennium after Alexander the Great lived, and well after ancient Macedonian ethnic identity had undergone a myriad transformations.

This is why FYROM has become infamous for having so many statues of Alexander the Great and his father Philip II -- who, by the way, were born, raised, and lived most of their lives in the part of ancient Macedonia that was well removed from where FYROM is located today.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Starks posted:

It’s like if a bunch of illiterate Frankish barbarians started calling themselves Roman.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Of course Alexander wasn't a Slavic speaker - as we all know, he was an Albanian.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
poo poo I thought he was Korean.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm not referring to the use of the name Macedonia -- that's fine. I'm referring to the FYROM nationalists who claim that the ancient Macedonians were Slavic-speaking peoples, and that Alexander the Great, for instance, was a Slav. This is patently untrue, because Slavic peoples didn't move into the Balkans until the 7th c. AD, almost a millennium after Alexander the Great lived, and well after ancient Macedonian ethnic identity had undergone a myriad transformations.

This is why FYROM has become infamous for having so many statues of Alexander the Great and his father Philip II -- who, by the way, were born, raised, and lived most of their lives in the part of ancient Macedonia that was well removed from where FYROM is located today.

It just seems so trivial to me. Like saying that Columbus was Italian or that Mozart was Austrian. So they're bad at history! Ignore and move on as we say.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Radio Prune posted:

Of course Alexander wasn't a Slavic speaker - as we all know, he was an Albanian.

WrONG :chaostrump: actually he was a Finno-Ugric speaker, aka a true Aryan.

quote:

It just seems so trivial to me. Like saying that Columbus was Italian or that Mozart was Austrian. So they're bad at history! Ignore and move on as we say.

It is trivial, like every nationalist dispute, and if the Greeks were reasonable they wouldn't care about it and everyone could move on. But they're not either, and FYROM nationalists continue to stir the pot every time they troll their neighbours to the south by erecting a massive statue of Alexander.

It also does stand that the Greek historical interpretation of the dispute pertaining to antiquity is largely correct, while the FYROM interpretation is not.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

An interesting slice of Arlington singled out, an area of higher development following one of DC's metro lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

How are u posted:

poo poo I thought he was Korean.

Almost, just a few thousand years off

We also got this crazy map but it doesn't feature any claims on Greece, as I don't know any korean I can't tell you what this one says but when it was posted previously in this thread some crazy poo poo was revealed, I don't seem to remember what though.