Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

G-III posted:

The fact that they show the TOS characters as a still from TAS is the cherry on top.

Show is good, naysayers were wrong. Looking forward to season 2.

I was a little lukewarm on the first couple of episodes, but holy poo poo it got super good super fast. I think Ransom stabbing Mariner in the foot and revealing actual depth to his character was the moment I went “yeah, this is good Star Trek”.

I also love that the message of the finale was aimed right at ChudTrek’s forehead: things change, get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Calling it now: Boimler gets busted back down because he becomes the Titan’s Mariner. We already saw the beginnings of that with Boimler impressing his new crew mates with his lived experience instead of his learned knowledge.

That would be awful.

Boimler's transformation wasn't earned at all because they turned the character into a worthless fuckup for one-shot jokes but it is exactly the character arc that was promised at the start: he's the young ensign who's desperate to impress and tries to do it via obsessing over the rules, and doesn't realise that what they need to succeed is just gain a bit of life experience to understand how the rules are supposed to interact with reality. That's a good wholesome arc, the show just teleported from start to end without doing any of the stuff in the middle.

Also lol at anyone who was telling me that Mariner was starting to change or get a character arc . Her character arc from the episode didn't even resolve itself, it just quietly went away.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ElBrak posted:

It just shows you what happens to a Commander Worf type who is let off the leash.

He.. ensures the mission succeeds and sacrifices his life to save the people under his command?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Pakled ships?

The Titan:

Spock helmet, and possibly Sulu's rapier:

The facial expression Shaxs would want us to remember him with:

Ransom covering up after discussing whether Mariner does or does not get him hard:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

ElBrak posted:

I can't imagine how slapdash the TOS era second contact crew would be. Probably lost a lot of ships that way.
Honestly, a lot of the time the original Enterprise was the second contact crew, while the first contact crew got themselves killed decades before. Most of those first contact captains in the late 22nd century would also have been either contemporaries or students of Archer, which would explain a lot.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Did anyone else hope that whoever was holding the Spock helmet (chief engineer?) was going to put it on, and it would do amazing stuff?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Boimler's character made more sense to me when I thought if him as being that game theory guy on YouTube. Him and his fake smile.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm still not sure I like the show and the explicit TOS joke was awful, but that was otherwise a very solid episode and I'll be damned if the Titan warping in to save the day with the TNG theme blaring didn't make me smile. Season 1 overall has been extremely uneven and the humor just flat-out does not fit most of the time, but season 2 has some actual potential if things don't immediately return to the status quo and they actually try to give the characters a little growth.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

For season 2 for lower decks I would love a cameo featuring Kelsey Grammer, and he's still the captain of the Boseman and he's STILL wearing the movie uniforms.

He just keeps flying into temporal anomaly after temporal anomaly.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cursed to travel through time in search of when everyone knows his name

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tars Tarkas posted:

Cursed to travel through time in search of when everyone knows his name

On his five year mission to seek out tossed salads and scrambled eggs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The man has balls so huge he took his shittyass Miranda kitbash up against a goddamn Borg cube and (might have) survived.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I loved the background gag of all the Solvang’s crew’s shoes beside the turbolift door on the bridge.

Such a fantastic episode, I need more! MORE! It’s amazing how much plot and emotion they fit in. The long moment of silence after the Solvang’s destruction made it feel very poignant, not just a comedy moment.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Calling it now: Boimler gets busted back down because he becomes the Titan’s Mariner. We already saw the beginnings of that with Boimler impressing his new crew mates with his lived experience instead of his learned knowledge.

I hope they deal with it like Worf in the TNG movies. He's just there, but most of the time nobody explains why. Keep him in the First Contact/DS9 uniform too, and never comment on it.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
That was the best episode yet. I hope the wait for season 2 isn't too long.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love Mariner narc'ing on Riker for being her chief supplier of Illegal poo poo and Troi just lowkey goes "we're gonna have a talk about this..."

This show is so fun, Riker totally would hook his proteges up with the good stuff.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Shaxs' special shuttlecraft was great. Especially him leaning into the action movieness of modern trek. The episode was great and the whole run probably the most tightly written and run S1 of Star Trek ever. But that's not as surprising since runtime-wise it's 5 episodes of any other run.

Looking forward to season 2 when it drops.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

"I hate it when a ship gets repaired and comes out looking all sovereign class" :lol:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
For a second there I thought this was all leading to Mariner being Shax's replacement while she was having a heart to heart with her mom.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't want to believe he's gone :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
:haw: They've all got the lovely little triangular "generic alien ship" that appeared a lot in TNG and DS9 at their core amongst the roided-out guns and engines. (Said ship was, of course, used for the Pakleds in 'Samaritan Snare'.)

Edit: just to add that I love the use of colour in these shots. It's like Chris Foss's Star Trek.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 8, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

:haw: They've all got the lovely little triangular "generic alien ship" that appeared a lot in TNG and DS9 at their core amongst the roided-out guns and engines. (Said ship was, of course, used for the Pakleds in 'Samaritan Snare'.)

I appreciate that except for the central pakled hull, they're all different due to being welded together hulks.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Mariner's weapons and garbage all over the ship is the same thing as the water in Signs.

Hopefully Boimler is just gone. Show should have a rotating cast of ensigns if it's going to continue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Super Deuce posted:

Hopefully Boimler is just gone. Show should have a rotating cast of ensigns if it's going to continue.

Redemption arc for Ensign Peanut Hamper, coming right up!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I don't want to believe he's gone :(

Of all the souls I've ever met, his was the most... hardcore.

(Stole that from a YouTube comment)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, the Solvang warp-shredding herself was super cool. And really brutal.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icEHdBqdvjM

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Super Deuce posted:

Mariner's weapons and garbage all over the ship is the same thing as the water in Signs.

But I'd miss ensign hughie!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the far-flung future, phasers make different noises!

I don't hate the interior ship aesthetic, but the weird tactile console thing seems pointlessly futuristic. It doesn't seem functional at all, just kind of weird.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In the far-flung future, phasers make different noises!

I don't hate the interior ship aesthetic, but the weird tactile console thing seems pointlessly futuristic. It doesn't seem functional at all, just kind of weird.

Far Flung Future Trek has always been pretty weird. Case in point: the USS Relativity and the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-J.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The tactile console would be better if it was also a full display?

Also, to give you the sense of the development timeline apparently they've known the Titan would be in that episode for ~a year.

Did Riker and Troi look kinda wierd to anyone else? Not inaccurate, just it almost looked like a different style to the rest of the show. I think it might be that the Lower Decks style isn't very good at replicating specific real people so they had to stray a little.

Also it does very clearly show how the big bold colour lower decks uniforms do look much better in an animated show that darker ones like the DS9 uniforms.

I like how the Titan is so plush and luxurious on the bridge with wood panelling and soft lighting and the Enterprise-E Conn and Ops consoles.

I was hoping Peanut Hamper would be a cool new regular lower decks person but then she was a dick. :(

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 9, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Far Flung Future Trek has always been pretty weird. Case in point: the USS Relativity and the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-J.

that is fair, I just kind of hate that console, I can't put my finger on quite why yet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

I was hoping Peanut Hamper would be a cool new regular lower decks person but then she was a dick. :(

A dick just aimlessly drifting in (pakled) space for all of time. Even if they were to get back on a federation ship, they would likely just be court martialed and ejected.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fun fact for the day!

Jonathan Frakes has now appeared in six different Star Trek series. As director, he's worked on five Trek series, soon to be six (he's on tap to direct at least one ep of Strange New Worlds).

e: Plus some movies in each category.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Interview confirming a few things carrying into season two from the finale https://trekmovie.com/2020/10/08/mike-mcmahan-and-the-star-trek-lower-decks-cast-reveal-what-we-will-and-wont-see-in-season-2/

Tl;dr Shax is confirmed gone (new security chief next season) and Boimler will be "starting" next season on the Titan so get ready for Riker

Personally I hope Boimler just misses his friends and asks to transfer back to the Cerrito. Maybe even remaining an ensign as a connecting person between lower decks and command. It'd be a nice sign of growth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Jonathan Frakes has now appeared in six different Star Trek series. As director, he's worked on five Trek series, soon to be six (he's on tap to direct at least one ep of Strange New Worlds).

I hope they give him a cameo in the background of Strange Nwe Worlds and Discovery just for funsies. Not even as Riker, just to keep up the Jonathan Frakes tradition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I get that Shaxs is dead and his actor confirmed he’s done with the show, but there’s no way that we’ve seen the last of him. Maybe not S2, but I have to believe we’ll see a cameo sometime before this series wraps for good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Martytoof posted:

I get that Shaxs is dead and his actor confirmed he’s done with the show, but there’s no way that we’ve seen the last of him. Maybe not S2, but I have to believe we’ll see a cameo sometime before this series wraps for good.

There's always the Mirror Universe!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mokinokaro posted:

Tl;dr Shax is confirmed gone (new security chief next season)

This is the weirdest thing to me because it seems like such a natural character development to have Mariner take the position. Weird rule-breaking solutions are always a security or engineering mainstay, it would give Mariner an excuse to interact with her mom more, and it would just be a nice way for her to finally accept a promotion and larger responsibilities. The finale even seems like it was purpose built with that change in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

I hope they give him a cameo in the background of Strange Nwe Worlds and Discovery just for funsies. Not even as Riker, just to keep up the Jonathan Frakes tradition.

Have him host the 23rd Century version of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.

And also the 32nd Century version, but he has electronic doodads stapled to him for some reason.