Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think they can't do Hunter or any of the currently existing lines due to the licensing deal with Paradox. Plus how would you age a setting like Hunter's 20 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

I think they can't do Hunter or any of the currently existing lines due to the licensing deal with Paradox. Plus how would you age a setting like Hunter's 20 years?

Reckoning wouldn't really work as a 20th considering it is specifically built off the underworld getting blowed up real good.

Also it's basically "Info Wars the game" which in 1999 was funny, now not so much.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I feel like this is the kind of thing where, despite likely not having the draw to be a huge hit, it will be perfectly good or even great because:

a) It won't be a singular auteur's precious baby.

b) It's not weighed down as much as a mainline game by quite so much canon cruft and unimpeachable 30-year-old darlings.

Also: lol at one of the add-ons being for a deluxe leatherette hardbound copy of Mage the Awakening.

Kavak posted:

Getting a lot less specific about which apocalypse the angels are preparing you for seems like it wouldn't be too hard. Especially since the main thing about Hunter were street-level concerns anyway.

Related but tangential, an updated apocalypse for 2020 specifically would be a lot more relevant than 2000ish. People were still on that End of History bullshit when Hunter was released.

EDIT: I feel like the biggest weakness to WoD: Zak Bagans is that it's all fundamentally third-stringer stuff, which is great if you specifically want that, but few people do. You've gotta dig deep past the Solificati and Malkavian antitribu before you find more than one or two people who give a poo poo about the Society of Leopold.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 7, 2020

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Getting a lot less specific about which apocalypse the angels are preparing you for seems like it wouldn't be too hard. Especially since the main thing about Hunter were street-level concerns anyway.

Related but tangential, an updated apocalypse for 2020 specifically would be a lot more relevant than 2000ish. People were still on that End of History bullshit when Hunter was released.

Yeah shaving off the millenarianism is easier for some lines than the others and Reckoning probably has it the hardest. We haven't seen head or tail of them in 5th Edition yet, which makes me wonder if they even exist in the new setting anymore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This is the first Onyx Path product in a long time I have had absolutely no interest in. At least I thought the movie monster stuff they did was a fun idea. Oh well, you can't be interested in everything I suppose.

I am a huge fan of both Wraith and Hunter, so maybe I am just sad this isn't just Reckoning 20th.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

moths posted:

gently caress, drop whatever you're browsing and watch Bones (2001). It's Wraith: The Oblivion: The Film and it rules.

There's even a harrowing, seriously it's a movie I never knew I needed to see.

Bones is fantastic and doesn't get the credit it deserves.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Mulva posted:

I have no idea why the gently caress they wouldn't just do Hunter, but conversely I figured 20th was dead as hell.

This book has been sitting in development hell since before Paradox bought the White Wolf IPs and launched V5. I'm guessing it just got grandfathered in because they didn't expect it to take another two years to finish, and if they had just pitched it recently instead they wouldn't have been given the okay to do it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

This book has been sitting in development hell since before Paradox bought the White Wolf IPs and launched V5. I'm guessing it just got grandfathered in because they didn't expect it to take another two years to finish, and if they had just pitched it recently instead they wouldn't have been given the okay to do it.

The buyout was five years ago.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Kavak posted:

The buyout was five years ago.

It might not have been before the buyout, but it's pretty drat close.

Ghost Hunters is listed on the 2015 GenCon Onyx Path brochure, when it was forecasted for a 2016 release, at the same time that they announced Deviant was going to be the next new Chronicles of Darkness line, back when they were listing it as "Deviant: the ???"

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
It struck me as being more of a *20 edition of Mediums or Quick and the Dead for Wraith - making me wonder if it was overflow from Wr20, but that doesn't square with being in the cards for so long.

(there's already a Hunters Hunted 20, isn't there?)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I swear if we don't get a Demon: the Fallen 20th which actually fixes the system...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I checked it out and now am kind of confused how Ghost Hunters fits into WoD. I agree that it looks like they expanded the Wraith Mediums book into its own line, but now new rules for non-Wraith Ghosts?

I really get the impression it was a standalone that got shoehorned for WoD.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cmon guys, who doesn't want to play the Ghostbusters running around the WoD?

Or Zac Bagans vs the WoD. That poo poo would actually be pretty funny.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Playing Arcanum investigators would be cool as heck though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think we're going to be getting Hunter 20th Anniversary, Hunter is actually 21 years old right now, or Demon 20th Anniversary, which would be 20 in 2022, although they'd be cool. I was thinking it would be cool to have one that was Mummy, Kindred of the East, and maybe some other weird stuff that hasn't been addressed but it seems like Kindred of the East is something they want to forget. It's not even listed on the Storyteller's Vault, although the books are all on there and it's listed on Drivethru as a White Wolf line. I honestly don't blame them though because Kindred of the East would need a complete reboot as opposed to a minor update.

EDIT:

joylessdivision posted:

Reckoning wouldn't really work as a 20th considering it is specifically built off the underworld getting blowed up real good.

Also it's basically "Info Wars the game" which in 1999 was funny, now not so much.

Wraith 20 plays fast and loose with this though because they have Orpheus and I think rules for Risen, it's been a while but I remember them being in there. The 20th anniversary books haven't really been about the status quo but more the spirit of the line with an update to running a game set in present day. Mage 20 is also big on this too with all its boxes giving options and alternatives to metaplot stuff for Mage, which there were a lot of.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 7, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I don't think we're going to be getting Hunter 20th Anniversary, Hunter is actually 21 years old right now, or Demon 20th Anniversary, which would be 20 in 2022, although they'd be cool. I was thinking it would be cool to have one that was Mummy, Kindred of the East, and maybe some other weird stuff that hasn't been addressed but it seems like Kindred of the East is something they want to forget. It's not even listed on the Storyteller's Vault, although the books are all on there and it's listed on Drivethru as a White Wolf line. I honestly don't blame them though because Kindred of the East would need a complete reboot as opposed to a minor update.

Yeah, I recall them saying that to do KotE right they'd want writers from Asian cultures at the least, to say nothing of a complete rework of... well, just everything. It would be a giant hassle for probably not much gain.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kind of interested what's going to happen to them in 5th edition (Rather than concerned like before the old staff was fired). I wouldn't be surprised if they're out entirely.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

Kind of interested what's going to happen to them in 5th edition (Rather than concerned like before the old staff was fired). I wouldn't be surprised if they're out entirely.

I've noticed there's been regular vampires, Cainites/kindred, in Asian countries with communities so it's likely the KotE are being quietly phased out. In older editions after KotE was introduced they made a point of saying KotE would kill any Western kindred on sight because they're powerful badasses.

EDIT:

Has anyone found any decent fan 20th anniversary versions of the above lines? I haven't looked around too much but I'm curious as to how good or bad they would be.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 7, 2020

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

moths posted:

I checked it out and now am kind of confused how Ghost Hunters fits into WoD. I agree that it looks like they expanded the Wraith Mediums book into its own line, but now new rules for non-Wraith Ghosts?

I got the impression those are in there for if you don't have Wraith, in the same sense that Vampire supplements would have rules for werewolves and mages that give them Disciplines rather than using their books' mechanics. WoD was never super consistent about using the same rules for the same creature.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Warthur posted:

I swear if we don't get a Demon: the Fallen 20th which actually fixes the system...

I'd love this too, though I don't think I had too many issues the system back in the early 00s, other than it being storyteller. What's wrong with it?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

midwifecrisis posted:

I'd love this too, though I don't think I had too many issues the system back in the early 00s, other than it being storyteller. What's wrong with it?

It's been a really long time, but I seem to recall the low-level PC powers ranged from "you've got really good balance, so you can perch on the back of a chair like Walken in Prophecy" to "if you roll seven successes on an unmodified dice pool, you can just outright kill anyone or anything."

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's more likely the plans for a "One World of Darkness" didn't take in a concept for regular mortals who can do anything but be gestured at by supernaturals and die.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

So, the Lunars book is out for Exalted. Is this the time I should get into that game? People say the new book is quite excellent, and I have no frame of reference to doubt those opinions.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Spector29 posted:

So, the Lunars book is out for Exalted. Is this the time I should get into that game? People say the new book is quite excellent, and I have no frame of reference to doubt those opinions.
If you're interested in the game and setting and rules set as it stands currently, Lunars being out means you can play Solars, Terrestrial/Dragon-Blooded, and Lunars with full book support. Also Lunars are neat.

If you're interested in the game and setting and not the rules as they stand currently, and are willing to wait until TBD, Exalted Essence will come out eventually, with streamlined rules to play all Exalt types mentioned anywhere in the core book and not 300 pages of charms per character type.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Spector29 posted:

Lunars is not a stand-alone book, you will still need the 3rd Edition Core to play. Like CPP says, if you like the current ruleset, Lunars are by all accounts the best they've ever been. But you still need to like Exalted and the Exalted system. Otherwise, wait for Exalted Essence, the rules-medium/light version they're making.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

siiiiiiigh I'm getting into old 1E Requiem books now, and once again I come upon column-broken sidebars so I just… ಠ_ಠ

goddamn

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

One assumes it was done to avoid having two sidebars right next to each other on the right column, but also, you could cut out the entire example as written and lose nothing.

Either that or the comedy option of "layout was done in a single text flow instead of sidebars as separate text boxes to save time," which feels more true to the spirit of WW/OP layout game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Either that or the comedy option of "layout was done in a single text flow instead of sidebars as separate text boxes to save time," which feels more true to the spirit of WW/OP layout game.

Editor: Scribendi.com

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Wow, I really, really hate Zen Carthians. This might be a Bad Book.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kavak posted:

Editor: Scribendi.com
The scariest story I'll hear this October.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That Old Tree posted:

siiiiiiigh I'm getting into old 1E Requiem books now, and once again I come upon column-broken sidebars so I just… ಠ_ಠ

goddamn

this hurts me.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

That Old Tree posted:

Wow, I really, really hate Zen Carthians. This might be a Bad Book.

is this the same carthian book with the messianic bloodline born of a perfect almost-golconda sire

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mister Olympus posted:

is this the same carthian book with the messianic bloodline born of a perfect almost-golconda sire

I don't know yet but oh boy I might have thoughts if it is.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
that one really stood out to me as a "what the gently caress is the point? is this someone's home game plot? where is the drama in this premise?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parts of Carthians were written by Greg Stolze!

Other parts were... not.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The idea that art needs to reflect soul essentially human 'soul' is pretty weird to me. There's lots of interest in computer-generated art and also in animal art!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bewilderment posted:

The idea that art needs to reflect soul essentially human 'soul' is pretty weird to me. There's lots of interest in computer-generated art and also in animal art!

Requiem (at least early on) was big on "Vampirism loving sucks and everything is miserable" as a reaction to the superheroes-with-fangs aspects of Masquerade. Requiem vampires can't really feel emotions well anymore or do more than ape humans or have nice things etc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A vampires' psyche being confined to a greatest hits compilation of their lived lives is something I miss from early Requiem.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

moths posted:

A vampires' psyche being confined to a greatest hits compilation of their lived lives is something I miss from early Requiem.

I actually really like that too, the idea that any new stuff they feel just echoes old emotions they already had, and so it's natural for them to attempt 'romance' and they just obsessively recreate their most memorable one.

I just think the idea of art itself needing some kind of 'soul' component is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I prefer it being a consequence of immortality and blood drinking and all that horrible stuff. There is nothing in a vampire a human isn't capable of. You feel hollow because you have a body count higher than most battles, you make hollow recreations of life because you've lived three time your natural lifespan. Lack of sunlight causes depression in the living but only lasts about a season, now multiply that a hundred fold and you have a Kindred.