Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

So Math posted:

Eventinde is giving away a synth vst. Looks interesting.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/promo/pendulate

Tried to install this, and it says the installer is not compatible with my computer. I'm on Windows 10, nothing weird about my processor (it's an Intel...i5?). Anyone else have this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

I had the same issue too. On a relatively old 6600k so maybe there’s something about that it doesn’t like? Figured I’d just give it another try in a month or something before giving up on it.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Qylvaran posted:

Tried to install this, and it says the installer is not compatible with my computer. I'm on Windows 10, nothing weird about my processor (it's an Intel...i5?). Anyone else have this problem?

They hosed up something with the download. I accidentally downloaded it to my phone while I was out the house. The next day I downloaded it on my PC and got the same error. The file I got on PC was ~400kb, which I found suspiciously light, so I dug out the download on my phone from the day prior and it was 15MB. Moved that to my PC and it installed no problem.

If anyone is willing to gamble on an .exe from a stranger, I'm happy to email it (if this doesn't break some :filez: rule?). My PMs are open.

Failing that, send them an email and I'm sure they'll fix it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oh poo poo, Guitar Rig 6? I've been waiting for that. Thanks for the heads up!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
For several years I maintained a worksheet of all Komplete contents since the very first release in 2003. A few months ago I handed over the reins to a guy in Germany (I think) who still has the passion for this obsessiveness. The complexity of the Komplete 12 releases burned me out.

The current home for this worksheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FuwkqEc7CqMwjRVjgcy2KhJlkVl3jTT3Ze1RsVFvzC4/edit#gid=0

He broke the expansions out into a separate tab, so see both the Products and Expansions tabs for full bundle contents.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Soundtoys Effect Rack is on sale for 100 bucks

I've been eyeballing Decapitator since first reading about it in the OP of this thread so I picked this up in a heartbeat, my first impressions are very, very good.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 16, 2020

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

It seems like already owning the Echo Boys doesn’t give a further discount :( it’s still a steal but I’m not sure how much I’ll use the other stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

UncleBlazer posted:

It seems like already owning the Echo Boys doesn’t give a further discount :( it’s still a steal but I’m not sure how much I’ll use the other stuff.
You'll use Decapitator. Trust me.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I can see myself using this on virtually everything going forward, to one degree or another.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I feel like I've asked this before, but does there exist a VST container (for Mac) that will run a plugin on whatever I'm monitoring out of my interface?

For example, if I wanted to run some metering plugins like Insight or StereoTool to see what's going on in a video or stream I'm watching in my browser.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mister Speaker posted:

I feel like I've asked this before, but does there exist a VST container (for Mac) that will run a plugin on whatever I'm monitoring out of my interface?

For example, if I wanted to run some metering plugins like Insight or StereoTool to see what's going on in a video or stream I'm watching in my browser.

I use Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack for such purposes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Any good plug-ins for gender-swapping voices? I have some female actors who want their dialogue pitched down a bit for the male parts they are playing in a radio play. I've messed around a bit with Antares Throat which kind of does the job. Just not sure if there are better options.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Might not be what you're looking for, but I've been playing with Melodyne Essential, which came with an Izotope bundle I picked up, and it is actually magic.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've been thinking of reinstalling Windows recently to clean it up (or possibly get an entirely new computer - crikey, I need one, even if it really *is* just to use Softube Modular), but I've been hesitant, since I'm worried I'll lose some VST licenses. I have an Ilok, and I still use the same E-mail address as ever, but I'm still worried about losing some software. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have my primary drive (an SSD) backed up, so if all else fails I can restore from the backup to the same drive, but is there anything I should do or any directories I should make sure I back up before I reinstall?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I took an involuntary break from music from mid-2018-first half 2020, but a few weeks ago I decided it was time to wade back into recording, and have since been getting my tools, plugins, and physical gear set up whenever I have a few minutes.

After confirming that Cubase and all my instruments of choice were working, I experienced a bruh moment: You see, I had bought all my Waves plugins between 2014 and 2018- the V9 era. Wanting to make sure my rig was fully current, I paid the WUP fees to have all my plugins upgraded to V11. The upgrade process was not exactly intuitive but I finally managed to get all the licenses in place and launched the V11 installer only to discover that it requires Windows 10. I was running Windows 8.1.

So then I spent the following days getting my Windows 10 volume configured so that it wouldn't wake me up in the middle of the night, and so the video card actually displayed something other than a blank screen when I wanted to use the computer. (This was why I was using Windows 8.1 to begin with.) Once that was done, I set up all my DAW and plugins poo poo, including all the fancy new V11 Waves plugs. AND THEN WAVES V12 CAME OUT. WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON OVER THERE?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

im_sorry posted:

I've been thinking of reinstalling Windows recently to clean it up (or possibly get an entirely new computer - crikey, I need one, even if it really *is* just to use Softube Modular), but I've been hesitant, since I'm worried I'll lose some VST licenses. I have an Ilok, and I still use the same E-mail address as ever, but I'm still worried about losing some software. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have my primary drive (an SSD) backed up, so if all else fails I can restore from the backup to the same drive, but is there anything I should do or any directories I should make sure I back up before I reinstall?

This varies heavily from product to product. Some of the bigger names that have activation software (PreSonus, Toontrack, and I think iZotope) will attempt to use things like your hardware IDs to persist your license even through a Windows reinstall. Toontrack's ability to do this is pretty inconsistent which really sucks considering they have lifetime authorization limits that you have to send an email to get reset. Others have license files that you can just copy into the new install folder with no issue (Melodyne Essentials for example). Last are the bunch that may or may not have license files but will still throw you into trial mode even if you copy it over, I assume due to registry poo poo. S-Gear is one I use that does this. Sometimes it's important to check to see if you need to deactivate those ones before you reformat, because they occasionally will only let you do so from the computer that has the active license.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, I've been getting more dialogue editing work recently and I'm thinking about finally getting into the izotope universe. Some of the suites are currently marked as "on sale" through November 9th, but I haven't been watching the prices on any of their stuff. Does anyone know if I should expect better discounts for black friday, or is this pretty much as good as it gets?

e: actually it looks like the music production suite discount is through december 9th. i guess this is the sale then!

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 27, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Octatonic posted:

So, I've been getting more dialogue editing work recently and I'm thinking about finally getting into the izotope universe. Some of the suites are currently marked as "on sale" through November 9th, but I haven't been watching the prices on any of their stuff. Does anyone know if I should expect better discounts for black friday, or is this pretty much as good as it gets?

e: actually it looks like the music production suite discount is through december 9th. i guess this is the sale then!

I'm guessing you already know about it/have it, but Izotope RX was an absolute lifesaver when I was doing heavy dialogue editing. The post house I worked at had Advanced, and it was impressive as hell, but I got by fine with just the Standard version for my freelance stuff. Looks like that's on sale too.

I was never able to swing the cost of their full post-pro suites, though the current RX Post suite looks like a shitload of powerful tools for the price.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Because they sponsor Sonic Talk, there's a 10% coupon "SONIC10" for Izotope, but I don't know if that compounds with the sale or what.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Thanks everyone! I think the deverb and mouth click plugins alone are gonna make my life a lot easier too, in this brave new era of home studios.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.pluginboutique.com/articles/1660

Iris 2 free until Nov 30th, with the promo code IRISBP

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Anyone have a suggestion for a Paino VST that's better than Keyzone Classic (free or cheap preferred)? It's fine for a placeholder but I want something a little better for a finished song.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a Paino VST that's better than Keyzone Classic (free or cheap preferred)? It's fine for a placeholder but I want something a little better for a finished song.

The free spitfire labs soft piano is a good place to start. All their free labs stuff is quality.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SoundMagic Piano One has a Yamaha C7 sample set built in. You can get that at the cost of subscribing to their newsletter. It sounds fairly good and natural to me.

If you need something more poppy, Dead Duck Software DPiano-A (in the classic instruments bundle) is based on the ancient mda Piano sample set and is more remeniscent of the M1 piano.

Neither of them are anywhere close to the ultimate piano, but they're good ones to have.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thanks - playing around with these, and it looks like I already had the Dead Duck piano. I think the issue I'm running into is that the lower chords are coming out sounding a bit dissonant, and I'm not quite sure how to fix that, as it seems the same on all piano VSTs.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/articles/1660

Iris 2 free until Nov 30th, with the promo code IRISBP

I just got this set up through the iZotope Product Portal but uh... how the gently caress do I get it in my DAW as a VST? There's no .dll file for me to move into my standard VST file, and iZotope's website is uh, loving atrocious.

EDIT: Okay I found the app's folder and everything but I'm still confused on how to get it like, into Ableton? Sorry, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this kinda jazz...

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 7, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I just got this set up through the iZotope Product Portal but uh... how the gently caress do I get it in my DAW as a VST? There's no .dll file for me to move into my standard VST file, and iZotope's website is uh, loving atrocious.

EDIT: Okay I found the app's folder and everything but I'm still confused on how to get it like, into Ableton? Sorry, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this kinda jazz...

Sorry, I don't know Ableton at all, but generally, there's a standard way to install vsts, especially through a launcher/installer like Izotope's.

As far as your DAW (Ableton) is concerned, check the manual for how to load up a plugin.

As for the other goon asking about piano plugins, it's not cheap, but my god, Modartt's Pianoteq has been my goto for... wow, 14 years now. I swear by it. The best part about it is that it's not sampled; every sound is generated mathematically (basically synthesized) on the fly. That allows for flexibility beyond any sampled library.

Plus, the download is something like 50mb, instead of gigs and gigs of sampled pianos.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pianoteq's upright with Wear (detune) set to 4 got me nostalgic like no other :allears:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Thanks - playing around with these, and it looks like I already had the Dead Duck piano. I think the issue I'm running into is that the lower chords are coming out sounding a bit dissonant, and I'm not quite sure how to fix that, as it seems the same on all piano VSTs.

How low are your lower chords? Are you sure you're not just bumping into low interval limits? Because those apply regardless of instrument. If that's it, the solution is to spread your chords out in terms of pitch/interval on the low end.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Air Music's Mini Grand is solid and currently in a bundle for $20: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/1685-AIR-Creative-Collection

That also includes a really good B3 sim that I've been using quite a bit, too.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Arturia Black Friday sale is up:

https://www.arturia.com/black-friday-20

I'm seeing lower prices since I own some of their stuff - $69 for Pigments, $149 for the FX Collection, $199 for the V Collection.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you own V Collection, Pigments drops down to $49 and $99 for FX Collection.

Pulled the trigger on Pigments because why not at that price. Oh poo poo, they got me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's the main selling point of Pigments?

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the main selling point of Pigments?

It’s very easy to assign modulations and see what’s going on in any patch. Also it sounds good. One downside is that the option of sample based oscillators makes it tricky to share presets (and it’s not nearly as popular as Serum), so you won’t find many presets online. It does come with a ton of good presets and they all have a few macro knobs already set up.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
What’s the best sampler for someone really broke and new to this concept? My computer is broken and idk where to start

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Well this is the VST thread so things will need computers. If you have one, ableton lite is free-ish if you have one of the many pieces of hardware that gives it to you; I'm sure you could scrounge up a code for free or cheap.

If you're asking about hardware samplers I can't help much but I assume that the PO-33 is among the cheaper ones. I have no experience with it, though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

What’s the best sampler for someone really broke and new to this concept? My computer is broken and idk where to start

Currently, Iris 2 is the cheapest, but yeah, you'll need a computer.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah try asking in this thread if you're looking for standalone hardware:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837&pagenumber=444&perpage=40

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

curried lamb of God posted:

Arturia Black Friday sale is up:

https://www.arturia.com/black-friday-20

I'm seeing lower prices since I own some of their stuff - $69 for Pigments, $149 for the FX Collection, $199 for the V Collection.
Soundtoys BF is too!

https://twitter.com/soundtoys/status/1328823506650476547

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I bought Decapitator and Little Alter Boy, looking forward to doing sweet vocal chop stuff and saturating the hell out of every track