Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have an NB Miata? Curious if I could get a picture of what the rain rails are supposed to look like beside the trunk. Is it flat or is there some kind of curve? I figured it was kind of curved when I started beating on the car, but I'm almost positive at this point that they are meant to be flat.

Not mine but I have access to one. Send me pics of exactly what you want to see and I'll try to.match them. I can take measurements too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm giving them a call tomorrow, I tried earlier and it appears they are closed on Thursdays (good for them!).

They were always booked solid with work back in the day because they do good work for a fair price, so I'm not surprised. Location is only slightly a pain to get to because if you miss the turn, you're going for a loop around the block.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Not mine but I have access to one. Send me pics of exactly what you want to see and I'll try to.match them. I can take measurements too.

I appreciate it :) Olympic Mathlete already posted some pictures in the Miata thread.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They were always booked solid with work back in the day because they do good work for a fair price, so I'm not surprised. Location is only slightly a pain to get to because if you miss the turn, you're going for a loop around the block.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make a trip over there soon.

I was scheduled for NASA competition school this weekend, so I ended up cancelling and being credited. Owner of NASA AZ emailed and told me to just show up. I get to do the classroom portion for free and I still qualify for the provisional license. :love: I've been offered to borrow a few cars but there is no way I'm risking someone else's car after this :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 9, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Small but important poo poo on the Blazer

Plugs, wires, and air filter. It had “Mighty” brand plugs in it, but I went the full NGK route and also did a Bosch air filter. Even managed to swap only two cylinders the first time around on the distributor.

Also I fixed an issue where the blazer was having this issue where the right side tail light would work but the brake light and turn signal wouldn't. I replaced the circuit boards in the lights and the tail light harness and still nothing. Then this morning I had an epiphany and bypassed the trailer light harness and that fixed it...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Lemme guess, someone used scotchloks or unsealed butt splices to hook it in?

On an entirely unrelated note, I just spent an hour or two wiring a trailer light harness into my wife's 93 Roadmaster estate wagon, and (1) used the correct double wall heatshrink butt splices and (2) hid 100% of the wiring. The connector isn't even outside, since I hate how fast trailer connectors corrode. We'll use a sacrificial 6ft extension cable to connect to trailers when towing.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

kastein posted:

On an entirely unrelated note, I just spent an hour or two wiring a trailer light harness into my wife's 93 Roadmaster estate wagon, and (1) used the correct double wall heatshrink butt splices and (2) hid 100% of the wiring. The connector isn't even outside, since I hate how fast trailer connectors corrode. We'll use a sacrificial 6ft extension cable to connect to trailers when towing.

Nope it was a plug and play harness. They are a known potential failure point, although the circuit board and tail harness are much more common.

I also made the Del Sol exhaust look less wimpy

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 9, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are like 40 del sols for sale within 100 miles.

I should buy one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

We all know you won't but we must endure your stream of consciousness anyway. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't say I would. Just that I should.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Rhyno posted:

There are like 40 del sols for sale within 100 miles.

I should buy one.

Why limit yourself to one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I'm going to buy multiples of the same car there's a guy selling FOUR Fieros as a package deal.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd go for four Fieros.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd go for four Fieros.

Fiesty foreigner fantasises, formulating finances for four Fieros.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

If I'm going to buy multiples of the same car there's a guy selling FOUR Fieros as a package deal.

Think he'd trade for one LOW MILEAGE NO RUST Subaru?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Think he'd trade for one LOW MILEAGE NO RUST Subaru?

You probably need two.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

You probably need two.

Hey my friend with the FiST just put his deposit down on a Type R and will be looking to sell his FiST sometime this coming spring. I think he’s just looking to get what he owes on it which is like 13k. Shoot me a message if you want to have a look at it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Hey my friend with the FiST just put his deposit down on a Type R and will be looking to sell his FiST sometime this coming spring. I think he’s just looking to get what he owes on it which is like 13k. Shoot me a message if you want to have a look at it.

That'd be excellent to look at. Drag him out to C&C next weekend (weather permitting).

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Just changed the oil for the first time in my new to me 2003 Chevy Astro. Last guy to do it ugga dugga'd the drain bolt in, but I have an impact wrench too, pal! I even avoided making a mess; reinstalled with a regular socket wrench to an appropriate torque.
I'd been avoiding working on any of my cars due to the heat, but it's finally cooled off enough that doing wrenching wasn't unpleasant. Gotta change the oil on the race car next, that poo poo was black as hell. Probably didn't do it any favors when I drove it home without any coolant.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

Just changed the oil for the first time in my new to me 2003 Chevy Astro. Last guy to do it ugga dugga'd the drain bolt in

:stonk:
What the crikey? I've never been changing my oil and thought gently caress this bolt is a bit hard to do better grab the rattle gun, or ever heard of anyone doing that. Is that something people actually do over there?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Managed to not gently caress up the steel fuel line from the Dorman repair kit. Ordered and used an Eastwood pipe bending wrench and filled the line with sand and put some lube on the tool:

At least I have a tool for the future now (bending was satisfying, I am looking forward to doing a whole system in the future).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rhyno posted:

Napa?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Indeed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Managed to not gently caress up the steel fuel line from the Dorman repair kit. Ordered and used an Eastwood pipe bending wrench and filled the line with sand and put some lube on the tool:

At least I have a tool for the future now (bending was satisfying, I am looking forward to doing a whole system in the future).

Hell yeah, those are proper bends. Feel good for your hard work!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrOnBicycle posted:

Whoa, those are real nice. Great job! You get into enough antics I'm surprised you're not updating a thread with them.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ili posted:

:stonk:
What the crikey? I've never been changing my oil and thought gently caress this bolt is a bit hard to do better grab the rattle gun, or ever heard of anyone doing that. Is that something people actually do over there?

Fuckin lube monkeys, man. Brap 'em off and brap 'em back on.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

meatpimp posted:

Hell yeah, those are proper bends. Feel good for your hard work!

Thanks! After all the drat time I spent trying to find a decent tool I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing went.

StormDrain posted:

Whoa, those are real nice. Great job! You get into enough antics I'm surprised you're not updating a thread with them.

Thanks! I did consider it, but I always forget to take pictures and knowing me there is a high probability that the thread will just suddenly stop being updated. Also, this project scope crept so fast that I didn't really realize it myself until it was too late.
I think I will make a thread the next time I have a project though, if nothing else it'll help me keep track and be more organized etc. I broke all my own rules with this truck.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
On the subject of fuel and brake hard lines, are there such a thing as unions or splices for them? A couple of lines on the Integra are rotting at the bends and I was wondering if repair is possible or if the whole thing needs to be replaced

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Theoretically there's compression union fittings that could work, as long as you know the line size. Realistically, if it's already rotting out at the bends, it's probably corroded enough elsewhere that the compression fittings wouldn't seal correctly anyway.

I've always replaced the lines with bulk cunifer line and whatever appropriate fittings for the ends, plus a good inline flare tool. I also watched/helped my boss replace a full brake line on his truck with a premade steel line, and couldn't help but think it would have taken half the time bending a new line and flaring it with the fittings instead.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well there is a garage here that rents lifts and has tools available, so maybe that's the best option :thunk:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The Dorman kit I bought had about 40cm of fuel line that you then attach to the current fuel line with the help of compression fittings. I chose to use as much of the new line as possible and go past the hanger bracket (where the lines apparently always rust) and then fit it. Tightened it up snug and it doesn't leak. From the research I did, an alternative is to fit AN fittings and hoses, and/or nylon lines when it comes to fuel lines.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
AN's a decent idea for the fuel that i could probably do at home. It's just a short hop to the tank and flexible line would be way easier to snake in

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

New cupholder for the Outback, courtesy of Goon glyph, as in the thread above:

Hopefully this one won't get snapped off...
You'd think they would have designed it to actually reach the floor when open, to minimize that, but LOLnope - there's about a 1/2" to the carpet, which is just enough to snap off the completely inadequate hinge pins.

Thanks, glyph!

kastein posted:

I did the same thing in my Crown Vic. I built the harness using relays because of the notoriously finicky Lighting Control Module on these Fords, but it turns out that P71s already have relays in the trunk (literally on the underside of the trunk lid) for cop stuff, so it was unnecessary. I didn't actually use an extension - I just made it long enough to reach in the first place, and just coil it up in the trunk well when not needed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Could you roll back the carpet and put something there to hold it up?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Working on putting the Niva back together after changing the tensioner shoe and anti rattle bloock for the timing chain. Just doing a bit whenever I could be bothered.

Here's the old and new anti rattle block.
The remaining part was sitting between the side of the head/block and the timing chain right above the oil pump gear. If the chunk had bound on the chain for a moment the result would have been catastrophic.

My recent pics of the head are missing for some reason so here's an original photo I took when checking why I was having trouble setting the timing chain tension correctly.
I'm not taking the cam cover off for another photo. But see the chain shape on the gasket? The head got some of that action too.

When I took the tensioner shoe off I found it was really tight on it's pivot bolt too. New one is more compliant.
Pressure washed the hell out of the timing chain cover. 5mm+ of crud on the outside. I was sick of handling it and getting greasy.

Dumped the oil which would have looked at home in a Twilight movie, put on a new oil filter (Z9 for ...reasons), and put in the only suitable oil I could find in town. It's meant to be good for 500 hours though! So now the whole drivetrain uses John Deere oils. Suiting for a car designed for farmers.

Started it. It sounded horrible! At least no noises from the timing chain area. There are some other things that need addressing.

Actual today work I torqued the crank pulley gutentight. I don't have a 3/4" drive torque wrench. Put the water pump pulley and mechanical fan back on. Used a paint pen on the crank pulley and case crank position marks.

Checked the timing because I had a unique opportunity to do it while being able to see crank and case markings straight on. It was already pretty good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Panty Saluter posted:

On the subject of fuel and brake hard lines, are there such a thing as unions or splices for them? A couple of lines on the Integra are rotting at the bends and I was wondering if repair is possible or if the whole thing needs to be replaced

Compression fittings are fine for fuel, but not brake line pressure rated. However, there are double flare unions at the parts store, which work great. You just flare the end of the old line and the new line and use the union.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Compression fittings are fine for fuel, but not brake line pressure rated. However, there are double flare unions at the parts store, which work great. You just flare the end of the old line and the new line and use the union.

Just remember to have the fitting on before you flare the line. :eng99:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Oops. Yeah, you wouldn't want to use the compression fittings for brake lines, the flare unions would be correct. But again, of the line is that rotten, you're probably not gonna have a clean spot to cut and flare anywhere nearby.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You'd be surprised. Common practice to do exactly that on Subarus since the lines run into the cabin and are rust free 4 inches past the grommet. On vehicles where this isn't true I agree, do the whole line from end to end otherwise you'll just be chasing crusty garbage till you end up doing that anyways.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Hopefully repaired a leak in the factory soldering on the radiator for the Niva. Put thermo fans back on and sat the radiator back in. Connected it, filled it and started the engine with some effort.

An engine probably shouldn't die when I put my palm on the secondary barrel of the carb. Right? Looks like I may have found the root of some very frustrating issues.

e: Pulled the carb. Poked around. Butterfly clearances were fine. Everything was fine as far as I can tell. I got no drat idea. Anyone have a spare Weber 2bbl floating around?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Got a CEL on the Integra. I assumed it was a misfire since the distributor loves to suck up water if you let it sit. Busted out Torque and uh, that was not the case.

Well, let's look at the MAP connector.

Quite a bit more damp than it should be. Oddly enough I have no WD-40 on hand so I just hit it with some Deoxit and plugged and unplugged it a few times. Code hasn't reappeared yet but we will see.

Since I had the hood up I decided to finally clean out my air filter. Torgue was showing -2.8 psi at WOT so it was time. It's been grotty since I had a minor oil leak incident under the hood anyway.

Somehow my filter cleaning spray went AWOL in the move but dish washing liquid is probably at least as good in this case.

Well, that's closer to the original color anyway :v: