Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

willroc7 posted:

Boys I am well and truly joining the ranks of Automotive Insanity. I'm buying a B6 Passat Wagon sight unseen from a few states over and having it shipped to me. It has 140k miles and a manual transmission. May the automotive gods smile upon me.

good luck and god bless as you will need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
How many animals should I be sacrificing now and ideally what kinds?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Just curious why you couldn't find a parts car locally.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Styles Bitchley posted:

Just curious why you couldn't find a parts car locally.

:iceburn:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

drat. :comeback::cry:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well I got it and it's rustier than presented, the suspension clunks so loud you can hear it a block away, the throwout bearing is making noise, I think at least one wheel bearing is also. Jesus what have I done...

At least the interior is clean though, well, except for the smell.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Godspeed. Rust sucks, but suspension can be thought of as being given a blank slate!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Any recommendations come to mind? Ride quality comes first for this vehicle.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

willroc7 posted:

Sorry my inclination is to drop all of my cars on coils and pretend they are racecars which wouldn't help you much :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Whatever looks well priced and decent on rockauto.com

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The car has been growing on me. The suspension only clunks really badly when cold and the throw out bearing only makes noise when first started. It drives really smoothly and the manual transmission is very pleasant to use. The headlights are also surprisingly good, the sides that turn on when you slow to turn are super bright at night. My family loves it. The worst thing about it at the moment is a pretty strong patchouli smell...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The car has been growing on me. The suspension only clunks really badly when cold and the throw out bearing only makes noise when first started. It drives really smoothly and the manual transmission is very pleasant to use. The headlights are also surprisingly good, the sides that turn on when you slow to turn are super bright at night. My family loves it. The worst thing about it at the moment is a pretty strong patchouli smell...

Have we seen photos of this yet?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I tried to post some with my last text but my awful app was having issues with the imgur API key. Had to do it from the desktop. Here ya go!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I tried to post some with my last text but my awful app was having issues with the imgur API key. Had to do it from the desktop. Here ya go!

Looks good!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I fukkin dig it

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks guys! I just fixed the parking brake by replacing the button with a $13 amazon part, so the seller was being honest about that, at least. Hope the entire ownership is like that!

edit: another interesting thing is the front grille plastic-chrome is brighter underneath where the front plate was. Hopefully I can polish the remainder to match? Right now it's like there is a rectangular mirror section attached to the front.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

willroc7 posted:

Hopefully I can polish the remainder to match?

Narrator: He can't.

Mine's the same way. Just shrug and move on. I haven't had the nuts to actually try the parking brake after I did it the first time after a pad change, but I'm reasonably sure it works.

In my litany of issues, I forgot rust... I've got under-paint bubbles on the LR wheel arch and the RF wheel arch. My brother has a 2008 GTI and he had a fender repainted under warranty because of rust. It's a lovely change that DE GERMANS made, and we're paying for that with rust. In the early '90s, they galvanized the poo poo and it would never, ever rust. My '90 coupe quattro had stone chips on the hood that I left un-touched-up for years and they never rusted. Now? poo poo's rusting underneath the factory paint. :mad:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Got an intermittent ABS/ESC Fault on my Mk6 GTI. Sometimes goes away after 20 seconds, sometimes stays on, sometimes doesn't come on at all. Got like 4 different error lights on the dash. Hope just an ABS sensor or something simple and not a module flaking out. Car drives fine otherwise, not showing any codes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Did you actually pull codes yet?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

I don't have a good scan tool , just a bluetooth dongle and an old app that showed no codes. A buddy who has a scan tool showed no active codes while the fault was displayed, and the only stored ones were old and seemingly unrelated. Will have a local VW shop diagnose it. Didn't even come on when I drove it over there. Weird.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

I don't have a good scan tool , just a bluetooth dongle and an old app that showed no codes. A buddy who has a scan tool showed no active codes while the fault was displayed, and the only stored ones were old and seemingly unrelated. Will have a local VW shop diagnose it. Didn't even come on when I drove it over there. Weird.

Buy the carista dongle and use the app it's all you need.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Sounds like my mkV before the abs module gave up the ghost.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Looks like it may have been a speed sensor. Wasn't showing much driving with a deep scan tool on a live data stream. A few blips on a sensor. Tech was bit puzzled why I was getting a power steering light on the dash with all the others though as I told him about that(and have a picture), as he never got the fault in the shop on the display. But replaced the sensor that was flaking out some and so far so good, hopefully took care of it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Nice exorcism.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

smooth jazz posted:

Nice exorcism.

Nah, just VW life.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there a thread for old VWs, or is this my best bet when it comes to asking about parts and questions in regards to my '68 Bay window?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe make your own project thread for it as it's a little special.
I have my 73 Bus at my parents I need to get transported down to my place so I can get it road worthy again. I'll be making a thread when I do.
I've owned the darn thing since I was 15 I'm in my 40s now:corsair:

Otherwise rock auto seems to have a lot of mechanical bits available. Other rarer things like random trim or whatever you still gotta troll ebay for.

I used to get a lot of good cheap old parts at the local air cooled swap meet/show once a year but it stopped being held over 10 years ago.

https://www.busdepot.com/ is still around
Bus Boys used to be good for parts but I think they don't exist anymore.

Good luck with the project!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Someone asked me to post my van here, so here I am. It's a 1985 Vanagon Westfalia with about 155k miles on it. I'm the third owner. The first owner was a West German woman who lived in Arizona with her wife and kept it there for about 25 years in a lightless garage. The second owner was her nephew in Orange County, who drove it a bit more with his husband for about 8 years.

When I got it, it had a GoWesty 2300cc Wasserboxer in it. The power was okay, but in all other ways it was awful. It stranded me multiple times in the deserts of Utah and Colorado and ruined a couple of trips, so I decided to do what any idiot would do, which is put an NA Subaru 2.2L engine in it.

Other upgrades/changes include:
* Smallcar AC unit (helps immensely).
* Stock pop-top replaced with a 3-window synthetic.
* Fiamma awning.
* Stereo/speaker upgrade.
* 16" GoWesty wheels.
* Bilstein shocks.
* GoWesty bumpers.
* GoWesty rear hitch (mostly used for a swing-away Yakima 4 bike rack).
* GoWesty fridge delete + Engel portable fridge.
* Aux battery + solar regulator + 100w panels + inverter.
* Sewfine curtains (the one on the slider still needs some hardware, so that's stock).
* Tint.
* VanagonLife center console.

This weekend hopefully I'm going to swap out the (very bad) stock mirrors for the beefy light truck mirrors, then replace the rattling/bad skylight with a GoWesty blackout model.

In the field.

edit: sorry:

rope kid fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 22, 2020

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Maybe make your own project thread for it as it's a little special.
I have my 73 Bus at my parents I need to get transported down to my place so I can get it road worthy again. I'll be making a thread when I do.
I've owned the darn thing since I was 15 I'm in my 40s now:corsair:

Otherwise rock auto seems to have a lot of mechanical bits available. Other rarer things like random trim or whatever you still gotta troll ebay for.

I used to get a lot of good cheap old parts at the local air cooled swap meet/show once a year but it stopped being held over 10 years ago.

Holy poo poo are you me? Still in my 40s but literally everything else in this post is the same.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Mr. Apollo posted:

I had a previous gen S3 a few years ago. It’s a nice little car but, as mentioned, the back seats are really tight. I don’t know if they improved this for the new gen. I had a set of winter tires for it and never had any issues in snow, slush, etc.

I've been stuffing my two kids in my S3 and I'm really wondering if an S5 Sportback's backseat is appreciably bigger. Otherwise an Allroad is looking pretty good right now

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mik posted:

I've been stuffing my two kids in my S3 and I'm really wondering if an S5 Sportback's backseat is appreciably bigger. Otherwise an Allroad is looking pretty good right now

I've sat in the back of an A5. As an adult male it was fine. The roof slopes down a bit so if you are taller it could be annoying for a long trip but for most people it's fine.

edit: I have an S4, it doesn't have as much trunk space without the hatch but the rear seat room is perfectly fine for adults. Performance is identical to the S5.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mik posted:

I have a S5 Sportback now and yeah, the back seats are roomier. As mentioned the roof line cuts into the rear head room but kids will be fine.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

rope kid posted:

Someone asked me to post my van here, so here I am. It's a 1985 Vanagon Westfalia with about 155k miles on it. I'm the third owner. The first owner was a West German woman who lived in Arizona with her wife and kept it there for about 25 years in a lightless garage. The second owner was her nephew in Orange County, who drove it a bit more with his husband for about 8 years.

When I got it, it had a GoWesty 2300cc Wasserboxer in it. The power was okay, but in all other ways it was awful. It stranded me multiple times in the deserts of Utah and Colorado and ruined a couple of trips, so I decided to do what any idiot would do, which is put an NA Subaru 2.2L engine in it.

Other upgrades/changes include:
* Smallcar AC unit (helps immensely).
* Stock pop-top replaced with a 3-window synthetic.
* Fiamma awning.
* Stereo/speaker upgrade.
* 16" GoWesty wheels.
* Bilstein shocks.
* GoWesty bumpers.
* GoWesty rear hitch (mostly used for a swing-away Yakima 4 bike rack).
* GoWesty fridge delete + Engel portable fridge.
* Aux battery + solar regulator + 100w panels + inverter.
* Sewfine curtains (the one on the slider still needs some hardware, so that's stock).
* Tint.
* VanagonLife center console.

This weekend hopefully I'm going to swap out the (very bad) stock mirrors for the beefy light truck mirrors, then replace the rattling/bad skylight with a GoWesty blackout model.

In the field.

edit: sorry:

I mean I asked you to post it because it was a wonderfully clean westie being actually used for cool stuff (which is always a good thing), but then you gotta come up in here and raise the bar with "Oh yeah, and I swapped a subaru 2.2 into it, hooked up some solar power and all kinds of other cool stuff". That thing is wonderful and thank you for posting about it. :swoon:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Love it. Ditching the wasserboxer is icing on the delicious cake.

Stick around and :justpost:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some guy is selling roof racks from his 2015 Toureg for $45 CAD. I'm pretty sure that's way under market value. Not sure I really want or need them but wondered if anyone in here wants them since they're super cheap (I think?).

Are all VW racks really the same? Hard to imagine they all fit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I love the 2WD graphic, like "gently caress YEAH 2WD!"

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I love the 2WD graphic, like "gently caress YEAH 2WD!"

An obvious sales tactic, if you don't spend the extra for the 4WD model everyone in the neighborhood will know that you are a poor.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

VelociBacon posted:

Some guy is selling roof racks from his 2015 Toureg for $45 CAD. I'm pretty sure that's way under market value. Not sure I really want or need them but wondered if anyone in here wants them since they're super cheap (I think?).

Are all VW racks really the same? Hard to imagine they all fit.

I don’t know that they all fit but I was able to get a matching 2015 SportWagen silver roof cargo carrier (the Genesis torpedo looking mofo) AND the crossbars (both only used twice) for $200 on Facebook Marketplace and whooooooboy I cannot tell you how great a deal this was.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
:yeah: I joined the club

Never thought I'd own a VW, but I was feeling the need to have fun driving again and lordy it put a smile on my face to test drive one of these. Been sort of fiending for a white FiST for a while, but to justify replacing my last car really needed to tick some boxes for daily driver comforts and modern safety features - the whole GTI package is just killer. Gonna miss the 02 Maxima for sure, but I'm about 500 miles in and this has been a blast of a change. I ended up on the 2020 S; bout the only way to get the extra few HP, driver assistance, and the important cloth seats.
Musky got some revenge, right before buying I posted this to laugh at Tesla build quality and turns out my panel down there sticks halfway when I open it :negative:

Maybe in a rite of passage I was all excited to take MY WIFE in her first ride to show how cool the car is and how I can totally still drive a stick after 9 years, put it in reverse to back out of the driveway, sigh in disappointment wondering why the backup cam isn't coming up, ease out the clutch aanndd putter putter choke cause whoops that's not reverse.

The white paint job and all those trees overhead in the pic is a terrible combo. I cut a bunch of branches out, got everything to do a proper car wash, just tried out putting some Nu Finish on, but wondering if y'all know if a car cover would be a good idea? I tried googling but there was a mix of yes it's good for outside cars and no when the wind blows it'll bounce against the paint and mess it up. Trying to find the happy medium between washing the tree sap and leaf coloration off 1-2 times a week and paying $500-$1000+ for professionally applied ceramic or whatever coating google is saying is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

White VW Golf owner checking in:

park somewhere else
wash and wax regularly

also: