Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Warning for anyone updating their BIOS: it’s a common problem that your M.2 drive that has windows on it will not be bootable.

There’s a few different settings that may or may not need to be flipped after you put the new BIOS on your motherboard I was able to solve it after a little bit of googling but I really didn’t expect it to not find my operating system even though it could find the hard drive no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Spikes32 posted:

What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Gaming, vr gaming, minor machine learning data analysis stuff.

What's your budget? 1400

If you’re doing professional work nope, this is mostly dissertation work.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920 x 1080 59 hz refresh rate

About all I really know is I want to get the 3070 gpu, I have an extra graphics card I can plug in till I snag one, but I might do the evga step up program as well. I'd like a computer that can play high modern graphics and be more future proof for upgrades years down the line. I'm open to buying a new display if my current one isn't worth bringing over. Below is a list I pulled from pc part picker but I really don't know much about all this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: *Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($188.35 @ Walmart)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($72.34 @ B&H)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($108.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $778.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-08 14:35 EDT-0400

Random observation: Arctic Silver isn't really the best thermal paste anymore, but also you don't have an aftermarket CPU cooler selected... so what's the paste for?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Warning for anyone updating their BIOS: it’s a common problem that your M.2 drive that has windows on it will not be bootable.

There’s a few different settings that may or may not need to be flipped after you put the new BIOS on your motherboard I was able to solve it after a little bit of googling but I really didn’t expect it to not find my operating system even though it could find the hard drive no problem.

What was the cause? The BIOS unable to read the boot file or the update changing something at drive level?

If it’s changing something on the drive it should be as easy as disconnecting the m.2 before the flash.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

sean10mm posted:

Random observation: Arctic Silver isn't really the best thermal paste anymore, but also you don't have an aftermarket CPU cooler selected... so what's the paste for?

I thought I needed it to attach the cpu? Like I said, I don't know much about this. Only built a pc once before and it was about 8 years ago

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

I thought I needed it to attach the cpu? Like I said, I don't know much about this. Only built a pc once before and it was about 8 years ago

Stock coolers come with thermal compound pre-applied typically, and most aftermarket coolers come with decent stuff too.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko

Some Goon posted:

1. Plenty

2. It looks like it's alright for 1080p medium, average of 60, 1% of 45.

Thanks for the input, that's good to hear. Not quite sure what you mean by that last part :kiddo:.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I'm running a 6700K that I've overclocked to 4.7GHz paired with a RTX 3080 - I'm targeting high refresh (165Hz) gaming at 1440p. I generally play CS:GO and single-player AAA games.

Should I be looking at updating to a Zen3 (assuming availability isn't awful) or something like a 10700k? Or should I keep riding this thing out? I'm having a hard time understanding if bottlenecking is a concern below 4K.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

pocket pool posted:

I'm running a 6700K that I've overclocked to 4.7GHz paired with a RTX 3080 - I'm targeting high refresh (165Hz) gaming at 1440p. I generally play CS:GO and single-player AAA games.

Should I be looking at updating to a Zen3 (assuming availability isn't awful) or something like a 10700k? Or should I keep riding this thing out? I'm having a hard time understanding if bottlenecking is a concern below 4K.

Are you having any issues? I would think your cpu is a bottleneck for sure, but how much? I just ordered an i7-10700k based system. I bought a 1080ti cheap from a guy at work so I will try that out. I can't believe I haven't built a machine since 2011. Looking forward to it. I can't get over how big the cpu coolers are now a days!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

pocket pool posted:

Never upgrade until you can tell performance is suffering.

If you’re able to play your game at 165 Hz then you’re only bottleneck is your monitors refresh rate.

If lowering details doesn’t help, and its not able to stay capped at 165, then its the cpu.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Makes sense to me - it just feels weird that I’ve been able to ride this CPU for so long. Before the 3080 I’d been using a 1080ti I bought used. I sure got a ton of value out of those parts!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

pocket pool posted:

Makes sense to me - it just feels weird that I’ve been able to ride this CPU for so long. Before the 3080 I’d been using a 1080ti I bought used. I sure got a ton of value out of those parts!

I used an i7 920 @ 4ghz until the 9600k came out.

FPS was dropping in 25 man world of warcraft content finally. If parts are working always let them ride.

I never got a 20 series card because I didn’t need one. But now we play a lot bl3 so im ready for a 3080.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

spunkshui posted:

I used an i7 920 @ 4ghz until the 9600k came out.

FPS was dropping in 25 man world of warcraft content finally. If parts are working always let them ride.

I never got a 20 series card because I didn’t need one. But now we play a lot bl3 so im ready for a 3080.

I even felt like the 3080 was a bit of a luxury but justified it because I wasn’t pushing some of the games I played at my monitor’s refresh rate.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

pocket pool posted:

Really the only CPUs that are truly starting to eat poo poo in new games are the 4 core/4 thread i5s (like I have :haw:)

4 core/8 thread seem to mostly still do OK, especially if you can goose it with a good OC. It might start to feel creaky in a year or two as more games are made with an eye to the 8 core Zen 2s in the new consoles though.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Am I crazy or did they not mention how many PCIe lanes the ryzen 5000 series supports?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Gadfly posted:

Am I crazy or did they not mention how many PCIe lanes the ryzen 5000 series supports?

The I/O is unchanged I believe, so I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

sean10mm posted:

Really the only CPUs that are truly starting to eat poo poo in new games are the 4 core/4 thread i5s (like I have :haw:)

4 core/8 thread seem to mostly still do OK, especially if you can goose it with a good OC. It might start to feel creaky in a year or two as more games are made with an eye to the 8 core Zen 2s in the new consoles though.

It’s making me really thankful, in hindsight, I took advantage of the deal I got - I swapped my 6600K plus cash for this 6700K a couple of years back.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

sean10mm posted:

The I/O is unchanged I believe, so I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same.

Ah thanks. Well, that's slightly disappointing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Big L posted:

Thanks for the input, that's good to hear. Not quite sure what you mean by that last part :kiddo:.

When you have frame drops, the lowest 1% of them average 45fps. It's not ideal, but it's passable, it's a very demanding game.

N.B. that checking benchmarks on a phone is a right pain so I only checked one site, but it's a rare day that there's significant variance between reviewers.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko

Some Goon posted:

When you have frame drops, the lowest 1% of them average 45fps. It's not ideal, but it's passable, it's a very demanding game.

N.B. that checking benchmarks on a phone is a right pain so I only checked one site, but it's a rare day that there's significant variance between reviewers.

Yeah, I know it's a demanding game... then again, I doubt the old pops will notice those fps drops. Thanks again!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

Ask us after the Zen 3 announcement tomorrow :)

I'm back!

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, working from home, streaming, possibly some dabbling in 3D graphics design.
What's your budget? $3000
Professional needs? Visual studio, remote desktop (multiple instances), possibly Blender
Monitor? My current monitor's 12+ years old, so I'll be upgrading to something new and snazzy with 4k/144hz at some point.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($108.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1152.83
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-08 20:25 EDT-0400

I swapped the storage for an NVME. The new CPUs weren't in PCPartPicker last I checked, but I'm guessing I'd bump this up to the 5800 or 5900x? Maybe? Would I want to change other parts to complement the faster CPU?

EDIT: Video card went out of stock between posts, it's still the 3080

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

pocket pool posted:

My 3080 FE, i7-7700k, with no OC and high as gently caress temps (cause they get dumb hot and I don’t wanna spend $70 to delid and repaste right now) was running doom eternal at all ultra nightmare, 1440p @ like 240fps.

I have destiny 2 frame limited but it’s running at 152 stable all settings maxed as well.

I wouldn’t change your CPU unless you’re not getting what you want. Especially cause you’re looking at a board change.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
Alright, one more check before I put in the orders for CPU, cooler, motherboard and memory. The other items I have already, full list in the top link.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Basic 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $610.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-08 22:18 EDT-0400

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Quick question about windows licenses: Do I need to buy another one or will I be able to just like log in with my Microsoft account? If I need to buy another one, what is the absolute cheapest legit way to get one? I bought mine straight up from MS last time, but I'm pretty sure I got some kind of student discount.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?

Stan Taylor posted:

Quick question about windows licenses: Do I need to buy another one or will I be able to just like log in with my Microsoft account? If I need to buy another one, what is the absolute cheapest legit way to get one? I bought mine straight up from MS last time, but I'm pretty sure I got some kind of student discount.

SA Mart sells super cheap keys that are legit enough for Microsoft. 10-15 bones? Something like that. Better than a bill.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Avail posted:

SA Mart sells super cheap keys that are legit enough for Microsoft. 10-15 bones? Something like that. Better than a bill.

:hellyeah:

Also I'm casually browsing what's on the market a little more in depth now and what the gently caress why does EVERYTHING have RGB lighting? and why do these mobos have PS/2 ports?

I'm honestly a little bummed I can't find a gray/beige plastic case. I'm waiting for Zen 3 news before I start to finalize stuff, but I'm feeling pretty good about upgrading, I've notice more and more that I'm always the last one to load into lobbies and poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Stan Taylor posted:

You can log in with your Microsoft account, but unless you have already registered your CPU/Motherboard combination with an active license, you will need another eventually.

That being said, you can install without a valid key and use it without being able to customize user settings. It may time out after 30 days, but I don't remember and have never waited that long. :shrug:

Seconding the SA Mart thread that sells keys. I got mine from there for this build and would recommend for other goons, delivered within 30 minutes. Way better than giving Jobs another $150... :five:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Also I'm casually browsing what's on the market a little more in depth now and what the gently caress why does EVERYTHING have RGB lighting? and why do these mobos have PS/2 ports?

I'm honestly a little bummed I can't find a gray/beige plastic case. I'm waiting for Zen 3 news before I start to finalize stuff, but I'm feeling pretty good about upgrading, I've notice more and more that I'm always the last one to load into lobbies and poo poo.

Why do you want plastic?

Check out fractals stuff. 90% RGB free and very sleek.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
The thread title needs to be updated cause B450 boards may not get their BIOS updates for the 5000 series till January LMAO

Here's my contribution:

PC Building Megathread - Price Gouge My Fingers Into My Eyes

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kingnothing posted:

Why do you want plastic?

Check out fractals stuff. 90% RGB free and very sleek.

Just seeing PS/2 ports on the back feels like it should belong in one of those late 90s looking cases. I'll probably go with fractal. Those look nice and plain and seem to have comfy features for building/airflow considerations.. I think my current one is NZXT and it's nice and plain.

What's the word on NVME SSDs? I'd like to go ahead and either get a big 2tb SSD or maybe two 1tbs if that's cheaper to mix and match with a SATA connection.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Stan Taylor posted:

Just seeing PS/2 ports on the back feels like it should belong in one of those late 90s looking cases. I'll probably go with fractal. Those look nice and plain and seem to have comfy features for building/airflow considerations.. I think my current one is NZXT and it's nice and plain.

What's the word on NVME SSDs? I'd like to go ahead and either get a big 2tb SSD or maybe two 1tbs if that's cheaper to mix and match with a SATA connection.

Definitely get an NVME for your bootdrive, make sure it isn't a SATA M.2 drive. You can get a 1TB WD Blue SN550 for $105 at newegg. If money is no object, you can splurge on a Samsung Pro drive for a significant cost increase and minor performance increase. I added a big media platter drive to mine, but if you're comfortable with 2-4TB you can get that with one or two NVME drives.

I also really like the big Phanteks Tower case I just got...case design has improved a lot in the last 10 years, but I'm Plain Jane and didn't want any lights or whistles.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Purely a technical question but I’m confused since I haven’t used windows except as a VM in years.

What’s the downside to just installing the disk image from a flash drive that Microsoft provides for free? Doesn’t it just not let you change the background? Or is there a reason that disk image doesn’t work as the base operating system?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Purely a technical question but I’m confused since I haven’t used windows except as a VM in years.

What’s the downside to just installing the disk image from a flash drive that Microsoft provides for free? Doesn’t it just not let you change the background? Or is there a reason that disk image doesn’t work as the base operating system?

The downside of that versus what? Downloading the windows installer disk image for free and putting it on a USB key is the preferred way to install windows. It’s not “free” in the sense that once it’s installed you should activate a license key to remove various functional restrictions, etc.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CaptainPsyko posted:

The downside of that versus what? Downloading the windows installer disk image for free and putting it on a USB key is the preferred way to install windows. It’s not “free” in the sense that once it’s installed you should activate a license key to remove various functional restrictions, etc.

Oh gotcha. I felt like I was missing something.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
how long does the hive mind think it will take for price drops for amd processors to be evident? I'm anxious to finish up my new build.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Definitely get an NVME for your bootdrive, make sure it isn't a SATA M.2 drive.

How would we know if it is?
Why is this an issue?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Can I get some advice for my friend?

quote:

I want to spend not that much, maybe ~£600. I want it to be more geared for doing audio stuff, in which the priorities are cpu, ram and storage. I'd like it to be possible to scale up though in the future. So if I decide later on to upgrade the graphics card, it's not out of step with the rest of the system or whatever. To begin with, in terms of games I'd be very much looking more to play the odd old classic, rather than going for a gaming rig or anything like that

Here's his stipulations. He also wants WiFi. With that in mind, I quickly threw together this build for him but it comes in a little overbudget. Bearing in mind what he said about the CPU, storage and RAM I didn't want to go any lower than the 3600, 16GB and a 1TB NVME, and because he wants it to be scalable in the future if he drops in a better GPU I wanted to go for a B550 chipset mobo. Are there any obvious savings here, or should I persuade him to spend a little more so he's got a good base to work with in the future?

Also, I made sure the mobo has one USB C port because I know a lot of new audio equipment uses that. There's USB C to A adapters if he needs to connect more at once, but I can also tell him to pick up a USB C PCIE card, right? I've seen a few that are available, but I'm just wondering if there's some issue with the number of lanes and bandwidth they'd need which is all stuff beyond my understanding.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

redpleb posted:

how long does the hive mind think it will take for price drops for amd processors to be evident? I'm anxious to finish up my new build.

For zen 2, if it happens it will probably be only after zen 3 goes on sale.

For zen 3, only when intel stops sucking, and intel doesn't even release their mext retread 14nm+++++++++++++++++ thing until March 2021 apparently so uh the prognosis there might be poor.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm still using a ps2 keyboard from 2003. :colbert:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have any of you goons gotten a notification from EVGA to buy a 3080? Per the forum post they said they'd have inventory back in stock this week but I haven't gotten an email and now it's the end of the business week :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm kind of unsure how much Zen 3 moves the needle in our generic recommendations anytime soon since everything's in a higher price bracket.

So a 5600X is priced like a 3700X, and it will certainly beat the 3700X in games in the short term much like the 10600K already does... but I don't know that I want to raise my budget in late 2020 and only get 6 cores. 6 cores is probably optimal for gaming right this second, but the next gen consoles all have 8c/16t already. "Future proofing" is always sketchy but I feel like the writing is on the wall here, it feels too much like getting in on the very last of the 4 core/4 thread i5s.

If you want the most baller-rear end gaming CPUs, now you have to buy a 5800X and 5900X, the 5900X is absolutely the better value on paper even though it costs more... but for gaming having 12 cores instead of 8 will functionally have no value for the foreseeable future, so from a strictly gaming POV it's $100 more for very little IRL. But this is the price point where we were already kind of like "Do whatever if you just have a big budget and don't care." If you want these just get these because unless AMD is outright lying, they are giving you the performance that was hoped for, but spending $450-$550 on a CPU for gaming is not a value proposition, it's a "gently caress it want cool thing" proposition.

Personally I'm definitely going to overspend and get a Zen 3, gently caress it. :homebrew: