Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol orders. I got 11 sets of order changes for this mob currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Does anybody actually understand what MICP is and what an effective implementation across five echelons of command should look like? This is written Gaoese and layers of legalese without any clear commander's intent, and I want to tell some people that an implementation can't possibly be what is intended, but I can't actually find a functional intent--everything is so general.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Picture five ice cream cones on the edge of a cliff. Suddenly, a tongue emerges from the first cone and licks the next one.

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 7, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Anyone have a cheat sheet for “stuff I wished I knew before separating?”

I’m trying to make sure I make the most of whatever services are available but since TAPS is just an NKO now instead of a class all information is vague and nonspecific.

Stuff like information on local jobs or resume workshopping?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m trying to make sure I make the most of whatever services are available but since TAPS is just an NKO now instead of a class all information is vague and nonspecific.

How long til you separate? What career field are you considering moving into? Do you have a degree or technical certifications?

I retire in a couple of months and a fellow goon got me setup with FourBlock. It’s a semester long veterans transition program sponsored by Columbia University. Each week our cohort spends a few hours with folks from businesses in the local area. So far San Diego has done Qualcomm, Booz Allen, Sony, and Linked In.

This has been immensely helpful in getting me setup to land a job on the outside.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Hekk posted:

How long til you separate? What career field are you considering moving into? Do you have a degree or technical certifications?

I retire in a couple of months and a fellow goon got me setup with FourBlock. It’s a semester long veterans transition program sponsored by Columbia University. Each week our cohort spends a few hours with folks from businesses in the local area. So far San Diego has done Qualcomm, Booz Allen, Sony, and Linked In.

This has been immensely helpful in getting me setup to land a job on the outside.

I separate in February, in the Norfolk area.

I’m considering moving into software development or devops type stuff but so far I have no certifications and my hobbist experience is pretty broad and shallow for a “real” developer job, except maybe outside of simple data analysis.

I do have medical certs (like EMT and phlebotomy) and Virginia has a specific scope of practice for prior military medics similar to EMT/LPN to fall back on if it turns out I somehow hate actually working in tech or just can’t land anything.

I have a Bachelors and I’m about to have a masters but both are non technical and would only be good for getting me a not so great job as a research assistant or HR corporate office type “need a degree” jobs.

I’m either going to focus on finishing my masters or getting compTIA certs banged out, probably going to finish my masters. I’ve saved shitloads and live pretty frugal so I have months and months of runway but of course I’d rather not spend a lot of time without any income.

Thank you for that recommendation, I’ll check them out. Honestly just knowing to use “vet transition program” as a search key- that stuff is helpful.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Some of the links to stuff I’m looking at just in case anyone else would find this useful:

Tech or general
https://maxxpotential.com

https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/education-employment/virginia-transition-assistance-program-vtap

Medical:
https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MMAC-APPLICANT-ACTION-GUIDE-4-19.pdf

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/military_sea_service/

ONLY IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS. As 1st I make $1500-2k/day with a defined benefit pension. 3rd makes $500-1k. MSC is hiring and you can go work with crab guy and show him your own stateroom.

Just got an offer to run a steam turbine test facility for much less but I'm really hoping the AI robot startup will get back to me before I respond. Never go back to sea (unless you're broke).

Edit: I was told Udacity nanodegrees and code academy was fully accept in tech from friends at zoom and startups but I haven't verified. The more evidence you have of playing with code the better.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 9, 2020

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m considering moving into software development or devops type stuff but so far I have no certifications and my hobbist experience is pretty broad and shallow for a “real” developer job, except maybe outside of simple data analysis.

I do have medical certs (like EMT and phlebotomy) and Virginia has a specific scope of practice for prior military medics similar to EMT/LPN to fall back on if it turns out I somehow hate actually working in tech or just can’t land anything.

I have a Bachelors and I’m about to have a masters but both are non technical and would only be good for getting me a not so great job as a research assistant or HR corporate office type “need a degree” jobs.

I’m either going to focus on finishing my masters or getting compTIA certs banged out, probably going to finish my masters. I’ve saved shitloads and live pretty frugal so I have months and months of runway but of course I’d rather not spend a lot of time without any income.

Thank you for that recommendation, I’ll check them out. Honestly just knowing to use “vet transition program” as a search key- that stuff is helpful.

So I'm separating soonish and I've been doing some research to make the jump into IT. If you have even a day of your GI Bill left you can look into VA's VET TEC program.

https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/vettec-high-tech-program/

They partnered up with different IT training companies to provide certifications & training. There's also the Microsoft Software & Systems Academy, which is part of the DOD Skillbridge program.

https://military.microsoft.com/programs/microsoft-software-systems-academy/ Don't know much about that program yet, but it seems like a coding bootcamp run by microsoft and they will promise you at least a job interview with them at the end.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Not a bad fallback but in that situation where I was unable to get a sustainable job at all I’d probably just move to northern Syria to get blown up by an ISIS truck bomb or a Turkish F-16 use my gi bill to get a second degree in but in CS, Math, or engineering.

The reasons I want a tech job now is so that when I use my gi bill to go back to school I’ll at least know for sure I like the industry and ideally I would be able go straight into grad school into a more specialized field. My sister is a senior full stack developer and project manager and strongly recommended I work in the industry in any way I can before getting into any sort of niche.

AFStealth posted:

So I'm separating soonish and I've been doing some research to make the jump into IT. If you have even a day of your GI Bill left you can look into VA's VET TEC program.

https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/vettec-high-tech-program/

They partnered up with different IT training companies to provide certifications & training. There's also the Microsoft Software & Systems Academy, which is part of the DOD Skillbridge program.

https://military.microsoft.com/programs/microsoft-software-systems-academy/ Don't know much about that program yet, but it seems like a coding bootcamp run by microsoft and they will promise you at least a job interview with them at the end.

That’s cool! I thought the MSSA was a stand-alone program. I’ve heard mixed things about it- it’s kinda pricey. It was going to be my number one until I realized I’d need to use my gi bill for it. It’s a good foot in the door though. All it requires is that I get my A+ done.

I didn’t know it part of a cohort of programs, that’s something for me to look into.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 9, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The good part of it is you aren't working year round. You can take a 90 day job and take the rest of the year off and do something else. During grad school I worked in the summer and used converted OT and vacation days to maintain medical. You also get to play with PIDs and sensors and the big part of machine learning and tech now is generating that data. The bad part is shoreside has no idea what it is.

It can be a good transition option but if you aren't careful you get used to it and never leave.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Before your final medical appointment, whatever it's called, make loving sure you've thought about every single little medical issue you've had. I showed up expecting a physical because that's what it was called at that base, and the doc asked what I'd seen doctors for. That's a weird question, and in my case it was a short list because A-I hadn't thought about it beforehand and B-I usually brought things up during my annual. Turns out that's the appointment where you have your last chance to make sure everything is documented.

Good to loving know, thanks.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

If you have no certificates but are knowledgeable about computers in general you should look at data centers, on the computer toucher side. Each big company has a different title for them, and they pretty much rove the data center floor replacing hard drives, motherboards, and other server related problems, at the introductory level. Based on skill and time these people tend to advance into mini project managers, directing the deployment of new machines and servers, often directly interfacing with manual labor contractors. Or sometimes these people work in ancillary departments such as data destruction or tape back up. Unfortunately a few big players utilize contractors first and then if they prove themselves they let them convert over. A lot of these companies value degrees that indicate good culture fit as well. I majored in humanities with an emphasis on philosophy and women's studies(but did not finish), and it worked out pretty good for me just leveraging my Navy experience as my technical background. Do you have a specific location you are looking at? Working hands on with equipment in a tech company can actually be a really good angle. The whole situation is just a little different than the standard tech scene, and there are a lot more locations than just working in the metropolitan headquarters.

One thing to keep in mind is some companies will reimburse you for school, and if you luck out they will let you double dip. I get 100% reimbursement for finishing my degree, so I got 17k in cash and the GI Bill paid the school, and I got 12 months BAH at 2,400$ a month, so it worked out really well for me. Here is a super hint for GI Bill: you only need one class in person, and it only needs to meet once. The BAH is based on the college. I live in rural Oregan, but drive (pre-covid) to Portland once a term and get that sweet Portland BAH. I am thinking about my second degree and I am no poo poo trying to find out if there is a school in California that has an online program with classes that meet once a semester. San Fransisco's BAH is 4,500$ a month, so it would be worthwhile to fly down there once a term for the first day meet and greet classes.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you have no certificates but are knowledgeable about computers in general you should look at data centers, on the computer toucher side. Each big company has a different title for them, and they pretty much rove the data center floor replacing hard drives, motherboards, and other server related problems, at the introductory level. Based on skill and time these people tend to advance into mini project managers, directing the deployment of new machines and servers, often directly interfacing with manual labor contractors. Or sometimes these people work in ancillary departments such as data destruction or tape back up. Unfortunately a few big players utilize contractors first and then if they prove themselves they let them convert over. A lot of these companies value degrees that indicate good culture fit as well. I majored in humanities with an emphasis on philosophy and women's studies(but did not finish), and it worked out pretty good for me just leveraging my Navy experience as my technical background. Do you have a specific location you are looking at? Working hands on with equipment in a tech company can actually be a really good angle. The whole situation is just a little different than the standard tech scene, and there are a lot more locations than just working in the metropolitan headquarters.

One thing to keep in mind is some companies will reimburse you for school, and if you luck out they will let you double dip. I get 100% reimbursement for finishing my degree, so I got 17k in cash and the GI Bill paid the school, and I got 12 months BAH at 2,400$ a month, so it worked out really well for me. Here is a super hint for GI Bill: you only need one class in person, and it only needs to meet once. The BAH is based on the college. I live in rural Oregan, but drive (pre-covid) to Portland once a term and get that sweet Portland BAH. I am thinking about my second degree and I am no poo poo trying to find out if there is a school in California that has an online program with classes that meet once a semester. San Fransisco's BAH is 4,500$ a month, so it would be worthwhile to fly down there once a term for the first day meet and greet classes.

I’ll be looking in the Norfolk area. I do have a secret that should be active since I imagine most decent jobs in the area involve the government somehow. That’s a good idea and good angle for a non traditional entry into the field. I know enough to at least figure out basic stuff like SSH or figuring out what wire goes in what hole. Also good since eventually I think it’d be fun to do pen-testing and I would learn a metric ton by just being a computer janitor for a bit.

That is some good stuff on the BAH side. Didn’t even think about using it that way.

Also, do you know any of the more common terms for those sort of computer touchers? Trying to find some keywords.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 9, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/military_sea_service/

ONLY IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS. As 1st I make $1500-2k/day with a defined benefit pension. 3rd makes $500-1k. MSC is hiring and you can go work with crab guy and show him your own stateroom.

Just got an offer to run a steam turbine test facility for much less but I'm really hoping the AI robot startup will get back to me before I respond. Never go back to sea (unless you're broke).

Edit: I was told Udacity nanodegrees and code academy was fully accept in tech from friends at zoom and startups but I haven't verified. The more evidence you have of playing with code the better.

Great, now next fall I’m gonna have to ask everyone I work with if they have stairs in their house.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Also, do you know any of the more common terms for those sort of computer touchers? Trying to find some keywords.

Speaking just for AWS we call those rack maid type jobs Data Center Operations (DCO) Technicians; most places I've looked at (T5, Equinix, CoreSite etc.) call it some variation of that. The pay and work aren't the best, but it is definitely a solid resume bullet. There are data centers in pretty much every major city, with the largest US concentration probably being the NoVA area, so you can find work pretty much anywhere you want. I've never heard of places paying extra for Secret, but there's plenty of demand and extra pay for TS/SCI.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ll be looking in the Norfolk area. I do have a secret that should be active since I imagine most decent jobs in the area involve the government somehow. That’s a good idea and good angle for a non traditional entry into the field. I know enough to at least figure out basic stuff like SSH or figuring out what wire goes in what hole. Also good since eventually I think it’d be fun to do pen-testing and I would learn a metric ton by just being a computer janitor for a bit.

That is some good stuff on the BAH side. Didn’t even think about using it that way.

My company hires computer touchers in the Suffolk area, PM me and I'll send you our job list. Might at least help you figure out what you're looking for exactly.

I recommend linkedin.com and clearancejobs.com

Also I would recommend paying a pro to do your resume, I did and it was the best money I spent while getting outta the Navy. I used resumetointerviews.com

Good luck on your transition!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

scripterror posted:

Speaking just for AWS we call those rack maid type jobs Data Center Operations (DCO) Technicians; most places I've looked at (T5, Equinix, CoreSite etc.) call it some variation of that. The pay and work aren't the best, but it is definitely a solid resume bullet. There are data centers in pretty much every major city, with the largest US concentration probably being the NoVA area, so you can find work pretty much anywhere you want. I've never heard of places paying extra for Secret, but there's plenty of demand and extra pay for TS/SCI.

I did a year as a DCO Tech for HP Enterprise and it can be very physical work, some blade chassis weigh 500 lbs unloaded, and you'll need 4 people in order to safely rack them out and in and get them secured if you're moving them. I had a decent time doing it, the pay wasn't super great in the uncleared world but it was a decent first job out of the military if you're not using your GI bill.

I did learn a hell of a lot about the physical care and feeding of servers doing that job though, definitely never a dull day, always something different.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 9, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Depending on who you work for the ergonomics can be different. I know that Google provides server lifts and small hydraulic lifts for a lot of the heavier stuff.

We call our computer maintenance folks Data Center Technicians, which is confusing because I am a data center *facilities* technician, and there is a relatively large difference between the two. I would imagine keywords to look for would probably be "Data center Technician" or for some areas "Operations Engineers". Unfortunately there is a lot of different term usage by the big players as they try to make the positions sound as prestigious as possible. TS might actually help you out if you want to interact with anyone who does "gov-cloud" stuff, or if you want to work for the government directly in one of their dcs. I am a little less sure how to get that ball rolling though. If you have not separated yet maybe ask someone who works for NMCI?

Northern Virginia has a massive amount of data centers, from all the big companies, and a ton of colocation data centers. A colocation dc is one in which a hosting company owns the physical infrastructure and rents floor space to different clients, and then those clients can enter the data center and interact with their computers. So, in some instances you could even get a job with travel to colocation sites. (Obviously covid is a factor now). At my site we had a person who traveled to Colorado to do colo work a few months out of the year, and then eventually just moved there to support the multiple different colos. So, the job field has a lot of different ways to move and shake. And the industry is growing pretty fast. Also, if you get in on the dc side, you can always step over to the SWE side. We had a tech at my campus do a 6 month internship with our SREs and was offered a position, but he did not want to move, so he came back to ops.

While the pay can be a little less than some other fields, for me the quality of life, especially compared to the Navy, makes it totally worth it. I remember on deployment I couldn't get a relief on watch when I had gastroenteritis and was puking in the bilge, was just told to "Suck it up", whereas when Prince passed away I took a half day off for mental health, no problem. It is a totally different world.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The vast majority of NoVA datacenters are out in Ashburn/Loudoun County so you can save a *little* by living in Leesburg as opposed to closer to Fairfax.

Plus as Crabdad will tell you, DC Goons are pretty tight. We even have a Slack. :v:

Definitely get yourself a good set of professional earpro if you're gonna work at a DC, though. The stuff they'll give you might not always be the best.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 10, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Depending on who you work for the ergonomics can be different. I know that Google provides server lifts and small hydraulic lifts for a lot of the heavier stuff.

We call our computer maintenance folks Data Center Technicians, which is confusing because I am a data center *facilities* technician, and there is a relatively large difference between the two. I would imagine keywords to look for would probably be "Data center Technician" or for some areas "Operations Engineers". Unfortunately there is a lot of different term usage by the big players as they try to make the positions sound as prestigious as possible. TS might actually help you out if you want to interact with anyone who does "gov-cloud" stuff, or if you want to work for the government directly in one of their dcs. I am a little less sure how to get that ball rolling though. If you have not separated yet maybe ask someone who works for NMCI?

Northern Virginia has a massive amount of data centers, from all the big companies, and a ton of colocation data centers. A colocation dc is one in which a hosting company owns the physical infrastructure and rents floor space to different clients, and then those clients can enter the data center and interact with their computers. So, in some instances you could even get a job with travel to colocation sites. (Obviously covid is a factor now). At my site we had a person who traveled to Colorado to do colo work a few months out of the year, and then eventually just moved there to support the multiple different colos. So, the job field has a lot of different ways to move and shake. And the industry is growing pretty fast. Also, if you get in on the dc side, you can always step over to the SWE side. We had a tech at my campus do a 6 month internship with our SREs and was offered a position, but he did not want to move, so he came back to ops.

While the pay can be a little less than some other fields, for me the quality of life, especially compared to the Navy, makes it totally worth it. I remember on deployment I couldn't get a relief on watch when I had gastroenteritis and was puking in the bilge, was just told to "Suck it up", whereas when Prince passed away I took a half day off for mental health, no problem. It is a totally different world.

Oh yeah we had hydraulic lifts for blade chassis, but it's still 500lbs, so you need that many people to ensure that the load makes it from the rails to the lift, and vice versa on the other end.

Datacenter stuff was pretty cool, I'd probably go back if the pay was remotely competitive in the NCR area (on the uncleared side the pay is... well its better than nothing), compared to the cost of living. On the cleared side it's different and the pay is a good bit better, GDIT has some entry level datacenter positions in Manassas, VA if you're interested.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 10, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Really good stuff, I appreciate it all. Got a lot more things to explore now! Thank you!

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Any rumors about Bonhomme Richard beyond maybe-it-was-arson?

The whole story makes it way less fun to make fun of the Admiral Kuznetsov.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The vast majority of NoVA datacenters are out in Ashburn/Loudoun County so you can save a *little* by living in Leesburg as opposed to closer to Fairfax.

Plus as Crabdad will tell you, DC Goons are pretty tight. We even have a Slack. :v:

Definitely get yourself a good set of professional earpro if you're gonna work at a DC, though. The stuff they'll give you might not always be the best.

Indeed. DC goons pretty decent people.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

lightpole posted:

The good part of it is you aren't working year round. You can take a 90 day job and take the rest of the year off and do something else. During grad school I worked in the summer and used converted OT and vacation days to maintain medical. You also get to play with PIDs and sensors and the big part of machine learning and tech now is generating that data. The bad part is shoreside has no idea what it is.

It can be a good transition option but if you aren't careful you get used to it and never leave.

In that line I'd probably being doing remote paramedic stuff or if I was really desperate and ready to toss my few remaining scruples contracting. I guess my time as a force converted undes seaman could finally pay off though lol.

Godholio posted:

Before your final medical appointment, whatever it's called, make loving sure you've thought about every single little medical issue you've had. I showed up expecting a physical because that's what it was called at that base, and the doc asked what I'd seen doctors for. That's a weird question, and in my case it was a short list because A-I hadn't thought about it beforehand and B-I usually brought things up during my annual. Turns out that's the appointment where you have your last chance to make sure everything is documented.

Good to loving know, thanks.

That is good to know! I'll write a loving novel.

scripterror posted:

Hell yeah I've already found some good stuff in my area. Some seem to want all sorts of experience, some don't. It's quite a range.

Lou Takki posted:

My company hires computer touchers in the Suffolk area, PM me and I'll send you our job list. Might at least help you figure out what you're looking for exactly.

I recommend linkedin.com and clearancejobs.com

Also I would recommend paying a pro to do your resume, I did and it was the best money I spent while getting outta the Navy. I used resumetointerviews.com

Good luck on your transition!

Alright, I'm sold on that. My linkedin is terrible.

orange juche posted:

I did a year as a DCO Tech for HP Enterprise and it can be very physical work, some blade chassis weigh 500 lbs unloaded, and you'll need 4 people in order to safely rack them out and in and get them secured if you're moving them. I had a decent time doing it, the pay wasn't super great in the uncleared world but it was a decent first job out of the military if you're not using your GI bill.

I did learn a hell of a lot about the physical care and feeding of servers doing that job though, definitely never a dull day, always something different.

Yeah that kinda sounds like what I'm looking for. I don't plan on living in Virginia long anyway, maybe a year or two, so it'll be a good period to just get experience and get my feet wet. Also, finally all those deadlifts and squats will pay off since they sure didn't help me not wash out of selection.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah one of my sailors had suspected covid and my supervisor in turn (our department LPO) kept calling me demanding to know why this sailor didn't check out with him first before leaving work. Can't loving wait. Money isn't super important to me, since growing up solidly middle class meant all my extra money just went into savings and market funds instead of broke family members and I've managed to squirrel away enough so that I'd never be in a position where I would be devastated by getting fired.

This thread has been super useful, thank you all so much.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Links so far, maybe for eventually a benefits thread.

Apparently I can claim money to "move back home". Heard this on reddit, so who loving knows. move.mil

National stuff:

https://dodskillbridge.usalearning.gov/

https://www.clearancejobs.com/

https://www.usajobs.gov/

Virginia Specific stuff that seems to have generally good reviews or be heavily discounted or free for vets.

Tech or general
https://maxxpotential.com

https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/education-employment/virginia-transition-assistance-program-vtap

Medical:
https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MMAC-APPLICANT-ACTION-GUIDE-4-19.pdf

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

As for move back home, I seem to recall that upon separating you are entitled to a move to home of record within a certain timeframe of leaving...I don't recall the specifics, and while nice, can be hard to use. On the other hand, some employers offer a moving allowance as part of a hiring on package.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As for move back home, I seem to recall that upon separating you are entitled to a move to home of record within a certain timeframe of leaving...I don't recall the specifics, and while nice, can be hard to use. On the other hand, some employers offer a moving allowance as part of a hiring on package.

It’s within 12 months of EAS the Navy will ship your stuff wherever you want in the continental US. They will only pay up to the cost it’d be to ship your stuff as far as wherever you came in at. If you retire they will ship anywhere in CONUS for free. The 12 months can easily be extended if you request more time.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Can always negotiate moving depending on the position.

Anyone who hasn't, take a negotiations class, whatever the cost. We also read Getting to Yes and Difficult Conversations in ours so read those. The first point our PhD raised was that if you negotiate for 5% more than someone else, and continue for just a little bit more each time, you will have a large difference after any amount of time.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

lightpole posted:

Can always negotiate moving depending on the position.

Anyone who hasn't, take a negotiations class, whatever the cost. We also read Getting to Yes and Difficult Conversations in ours so read those. The first point our PhD raised was that if you negotiate for 5% more than someone else, and continue for just a little bit more each time, you will have a large difference after any amount of time.

One of my family members have strongly suggested doing a part time sales job at some point during these next couple of years of doing entry level and education for exactly that reason.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
That sounds like a terrible and painful way to gain an incomplete understanding. The used car sale was our first and simplest negotiation. Every one after that I was drained. It took a lot of time building the negotiation plan and then emotional commitment during. I was trying to play a role while empathizing with the other party to understand them. Very fun though!

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
You will also need separation orders to schedule your move with the Navy. I had to have the company hiring me move me because the Navy didn't want to get me separation orders until the same meeting with PSD to get my DD-214 on my EAOS.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Happy birthday, shipmates. :chiefsay:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Happy birthday, shipmates. :chiefsay:

:toot:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress yeah I won a lego set in a raffle! Pretty small set but still it’s the little things.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Hekk posted:

They will only pay up to the cost it’d be to ship your stuff as far as wherever you came in at.

This completely hosed me because I got out at Great Lakes and my HOR was southeastern Wisconsin.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress yeah I won a lego set in a raffle! Pretty small set but still it’s the little things.

In my career i won a nintendo wii and an xbox 360. My friend won a harley sportster 1200. Then holiday parties and mwr fundraising seemed to disappear except for the occasional cookout.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

King of Bees posted:

In my career i won a nintendo wii and an xbox 360. My friend won a harley sportster 1200. Then holiday parties and mwr fundraising seemed to disappear except for the occasional cookout.

In my career I won a bunch of stuff that wasn't nailed down that I just walked off the boat with. "Dispose of in accordance with local procedures" and "who wants to make the DRMO run" were like lottery wins.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Thats just another fringe benefit for serving uncle sam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In my career I won a bunch of stuff that wasn't nailed down that I just walked off the boat with. "Dispose of in accordance with local procedures" and "who wants to make the DRMO run" were like lottery wins.

thank you for your service