Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Oh you betcha! In the below photogram you can peep the goodness

that is the most detailed and color correct photogram i've ever seen :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Way back in February I put down a hundred bucks for a collectible figure of Death Stranding's Sam Porter Bridges because it's one of my favorite games I've played in many many years. I'm not really a video game memorabilia kind of guy, a lot of the time it strikes me as lame and a way for the publisher to make a quick buck putting out tat of sometimes very questionable quality. However, sometimes a game resonates with me enough that I want something to stick on my shelf to remember the time I spent with it, and in such cases I'm willing to shell out some cash.

Well, this morning it finally arrived, and in my opinion it was totally worth it in this case. I'm super happy with it!

CJacobs posted:

My Sam Nendoroid arrived!!!

The build quality is seriously amazing, tons of articulation in the arms and legs. The mix and match snap-on cargo boxes are a really smart and fun addition. Lots of combinations of heads/hands/accessories. What really blows me away is how close it looks to the pre-release photos, props to Good Smile for properly representing the product in their promos.

Tons of tiny attention to detail in the paint and modeling, even down to the miniscule cargo box stickers. The Odradek has FOUR points of rotation/articulation, one for each arm (and it's removable independent of the backpack!). They even included a tiny dreamcatcher that you can move freely to give the illusion of motion.

Every single cargo box has little grooves in it so you can take out the handle from the default one and have him hold whichever one you want. The L-Size cargo boxes also have grooves in the top for going from horizontal to vertical placement if you want to build a huge tall stack just like the real deal.

They put an extra articulation point on the forearm just above the elbow so you can rotate the ball joint shoulder independently of the arm. With that addition, the arm goes up so far that he can hold onto the backpack straps just like in the game!

Overall it cost about a hundred dollars USD to buy and ship this guy, and I can say with certainty that it was totally worth it. Such certainty in fact that I'm going to buy the Cliff Nendoroid as well! I'm really impressed with the build quality and attention to detail, this is my first Nendoroid and I can really see the care and love that went into designing it. Someone at Good Smile really likes Death Stranding.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Oct 3, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

that is the most detailed and color correct photogram i've ever seen :v:

I'm most impressed by the apparent superhuman dexterity of Imperador do Brasil to hold a small 90's Honda upright like that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

mystes posted:

Aside from being insanely expensive, Arcteryx has probably already jumped the shark and started being recognized as a "lifestyle" brand, so I doubt there's much overlap between its customers and crazy people posting on backpackinglight or whatever at this point.

At this point we’re probably 5-10 years removed from Arcteryx having a line of lower end products sold at Walmart

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Got some new shades just in time for winter...

I like these. Who makes them? I'm not big into sunglasses, but I just got lasik and need to pick some up before a Chicago winter blinds me.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like these. Who makes them? I'm not big into sunglasses, but I just got lasik and need to pick some up before a Chicago winter blinds me.

https://www.persol.com/usa/stone-island-sunglasses-collaboration

They’re stupidly expensive, I had buyers remorse immediately

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Persols are awesome, I got a pair years ago and they’ve put up with so much poo poo.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
-Edit: Removed unnecessary shop shaming

For content - I also bought some of those wooly felt slippers.

7of7 has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Oct 3, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Accidentally bought an original Tizio lamp on ebay.

More than an hour before the end of the auction I bid $1 more than the current winner without thinking too much. Surely it'll get outbid immediately or sniped a the last moment. Nope, I got it. The price is on the high end of what I wanted to pay but worse is the shipping which was like 1/3rd or the lamp and I didn't pay much attention to that. Even worster is that I paid with the credit card that I'll need to rent a car tomorrow and with the amount they'll block it will be very tight. Oh well.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Oct 5, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I bought a vise for my milling machine:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Why is that handle so cool?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Dick Trauma posted:

The knob has the shape and beautiful worn patina of an early Edwardian butt plug

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Flared base.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Because metal is a good thermal conductor.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Bike part:

But for left-hand use & in tan.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

I have one that I inherited when my dad retired but the original bulb just seems hot and wasteful by today's lighting standards. Any plans to modify it with an led or just keeping it stock?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

More than an hour before the end of the auction I bid $1 more than the current winner without thinking too much. Surely it'll get outbid immediately or sniped a the last moment. Nope, I got it. The price is on the high end of what I wanted to pay but worse is the shipping which was like 1/3rd or the lamp and I didn't pay much attention to that. Even worster is that I paid with the credit card that I'll need to rent a car tomorrow and with the amount they'll block it will be very tight. Oh well.

Nice lamps are so loving cool/gorgeous, but I will never understand the pricing driving them. Or have places to put them.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

davebo posted:

I have one that I inherited when my dad retired but the original bulb just seems hot and wasteful by today's lighting standards. Any plans to modify it with an led or just keeping it stock?

There's drop-in LED replacements for halogen bulbs like that, don't know how nice the light on them is though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

No plans (as I said I wasn't even seriously considering buying it in the first place) and I don't mind halogen bulbs but if I can do it without hacking it up, I'll probably give it a try.

Nephzinho posted:

Nice lamps are so loving cool/gorgeous, but I will never understand the pricing driving them. Or have places to put them.

It's definitely a design thing, like the Eames chair you're paying for the very specific design, heritage and bragging rights. This one is, I should clarify, is an actual piece from back in the day, not "original" in the not-fake sense. So way cheaper than the new one but... uhhh.

I don't have a lamp collection, I'm currently using the lamp that was in the apartment when I moved in and it's literally falling apart at the seams. So replacing it is a safety thing, you see.

Snackula posted:

There's drop-in LED replacements for halogen bulbs like that, don't know how nice the light on them is though.
Never looked into it before but that's good to know, thanks.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New headphones, Grado SR225e, and a Fiio BTR5 Bluetooth DAC and amp.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
:spooky: The frames for my prints have arrived! :spooky:

Upscaled original

We ready for Spooktober, baby :skeltal:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nastyman posted:

Upscaled original

Goddamned that's glorious.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Megabound posted:

New headphones, Grado SR225e, and a Fiio BTR5 Bluetooth DAC and amp.

Are you going to hear a great difference out of these vs other over-ear headphones if your source is spotify, youtube, things like that? Or do you really need to download FLAC files to truly appreciate the upgrade? I've always been interested in getting a nice pair of headphones for the apartment like that but never jumped.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Skinth MUT Shield pouch, but with horizontal mounting, larger front pocket to hold 2 Leatherman bit kits, and in coyote brown. This will go on my belt.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Skinth MUT Shield pouch, but with horizontal mounting, larger front pocket to hold 2 Leatherman bit kits, and in coyote brown. This will go on my belt.

I just bought this

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oh that's nice! Are the pliers spring loaded or do they lock in place? I see something on the lower part of the plier hinge that intrigues me.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

manwithoutskin posted:

Are you going to hear a great difference out of these vs other over-ear headphones if your source is spotify, youtube, things like that? Or do you really need to download FLAC files to truly appreciate the upgrade? I've always been interested in getting a nice pair of headphones for the apartment like that but never jumped.

I think the biggest difference is going from closed back Sennheiser BT4.40s to these open backed cans and that makes a huge difference to how broad the sound is, and how much clearer the high frequencies are. I also have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD900X I use with an O2 amp at work and I'm enjoying the sound of this combo more but I don't know if I could call it better, just different. I'd need to do a real a-b comparison with the same amp and report back.

I also wouldn't have bout the BTR5 is my phone had a headphone jack, but that's just the times.

Really, I think you gotta get out there and see if you can test out a pair with what you like to listen to. I think the real benefit isn't from hearing "more" of the music but how it's reproduced and if that resonates with you, and you've got the spare cash then go for it. This guy who I like reckons the the SR60s are 90% of the quality for a quarter of the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAevLnhaU68

Megabound has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Oct 7, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

What multitool is shown there in the pouch?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What multitool is shown there in the pouch?

It is a Leatherman MUT. Comes in handy when I'm at the range as there's some gun-specific tools included.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Oh that's nice! Are the pliers spring loaded or do they lock in place? I see something on the lower part of the plier hinge that intrigues me.

I have that same model, and yes, that little notch acts as a sort of spring-loaded mechanism.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Megabound posted:

This guy who I like reckons the the SR60s are 90% of the quality for a quarter of the price.

I've had a pair of SR60s for years and they're really good open back cans for the price. I like the noise isolation of closed backs though, so my usual recommendation around that price range are the Sony MDR-7506 (with aftermarket pads). Can't go wrong with either, though.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
Getting my new ebike hopefully in the next few weeks and decided to get a proper helmet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheHouseofM posted:

Getting my new ebike hopefully in the next few weeks and decided to get a proper helmet.

Might I suggest dropping another $30 to make your helmet be juuuuuuuust that much cooler?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0896V9L14/ref=twister_B07BF54WH4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lmao

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Can either go the Daft Punk direction or that. It really is a tough call.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

TraderStav posted:

Can either go the Daft Punk direction or that. It really is a tough call.

Now I want a fusion of these 2 ideas.

…no, not that.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

TheHouseofM posted:

Which ebike?

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

AnimalChin posted:

Which ebike?

The Onyx RCR.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Nastyman posted:

Upscaled original

Did you have these prints made, or did you grab them from somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

NovaLion posted:

Did you have these prints made, or did you grab them from somewhere?

Custom made at the local photo store, I just found the picture online, upscaled it and chopped it up using their proprietary software.