Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Gelf posted:

Now there's a thought that has my coital hooks quivering with anticipation!

That and the screech were my two favorite jokes of the episode. And there were a lot of great ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Totally off-topic, but the fact that goons are willing to say things like "okay, maybe I was potentially wrong about that particular detail" is seriously one of the greatest things about this site.

Source: the ENTIRE REST OF THE INTERNET HAVE YOU LOOKED AT IT OH MY GOD

I mean outside of like 10 assholes on Twitter who constantly retweet each other and make a million e-grift videos to try and clog up YouTube search results, the rest of the internet seems to really loving love LDS, and for good reason. It's good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean outside of like 10 assholes on Twitter who constantly retweet each other and make a million e-grift videos to try and clog up YouTube search results, the rest of the internet seems to really loving love LDS, and for good reason. It's good.

Oh, I'm not advocating for any particular opinion*, but just the fact that anyone is willing to say "okay, maybe you have a point on this one little thing" is HUGE on the modern Internet.

* Not true, I have plenty of opinions, but they don't really come into play here**

** Come on Jeffrey, buy this loving place outright already.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm impressed that at the end of episode one I was thinking "that was okay", and by the end of episode ten I am totally on the "best Star Trek in decades" bandwagon .

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
There were lots of great gags in there but I loved the wolf 359 'truther' saying the dominion war never happened. it works on so many levels!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, great episode. I wasn't sure they were going to go all-in on a finale, since it's usually such a light, episodic series, but they went for it.

I quite enjoyed the captain interrogating the series' premise a bit at the end there, noting that Starfleet spends a lot of time charting stuff out but not checking back in to see how things got along without them. That's a rich vein to mine, as they did to good effect in this particular episode.

I also really enjoyed that the reveal that Rutherford losing his memory is no big deal, because that's exactly the sort of sci-fi situation that a lot of stories would really dwell on. It's no problem for Rutherford or Tendi, though, they're happy to just become friends all over again. Fun twist, and very characterful.

Ending on Boimler getting his big promotion and pissing Mariner off was great. It's so easy to end on the status quo, and I know they could always just boot him back to the Cerritos first thing in a second season, but I really respect ending what could always be their only season with the smarmy suck-up deciding to just be himself instead of learning a lesson about the importance of friendship.

Oh, and the captain who got blown up in the first scene was the one Mariner punched out during the substitute captain day episode, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just want to say how nice it is that you have a show being made by legit Trek fans that are clearly doing their own thing and not just going through the motions like the other New Trek shows tend to do

also the 'Wolf 359 Was An Inside Job' thing absolutely needs to be the thread title

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just want to say how nice it is that you have a show being made by legit Trek fans that are clearly doing their own thing and not just going through the motions like the other New Trek shows tend to do

also the 'Wolf 359 Was An Inside Job' thing absolutely needs to be the thread title

I've put in a request for it. I wanted to keep the show titles and add Prodigy to it, but I think it's too long for all of it together. We'll see. Do your magic, esperterra :buddy:

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

tarlibone posted:

How so?

The thing that made water being a deadly weapon against the invaders in Signs stupid was that it created a plot hole the size of 71% of the Earth's surface. These aliens would probably have encountered water at some point and realized that it was deadly to them. Given that, it's hard not to notice that water covers most of the Earth's surface, is dissolved in the air, and routinely falls from the sky, often with little warning. Also, they invaded an inhabited planet literally swimming in a deadly poison buck naked. Not even a raincoat! They didn't even wear rubbers.

I think the aliens in Signs were supposed to be demons. And Mel Gibson was a former priest, so all the water he poured that was laying around his house was sanctified. Thus the aliens/demons were killed by holy water, not generic water. I don't like that I remember that movie, and I feel there are better things that could fit in my brain, but here we are.

Happier note this show is fantastic. And at least Shax went out on the happiest day of his life. Godspeed papa bear

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can’t believe I actually got a little emotional at the dumb Trek cartoon. This series is very, very good. I honestly cannot wait until season two.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

HD DAD posted:

I can’t believe I actually got a little emotional at the dumb Trek cartoon. This series is very, very good. I honestly cannot wait until season two.

So, funny thing. Almost died at the end of August, no biggie, mostly fine now but one thing that went was my memory of August and most of July. Bits and pieces are coming back but I can't tell you WTF for large periods of that time. I had to rewatch the first half of Lower Decks to catch up, I remembered characters, certain scenes but drat if I could tell you the entire plot of an episode. I cheered for Riker but the Rutherford stuff? Man that hit me like a train but what was even better was his attitude to the whole thing. I've heard plenty of people from plenty of backgrounds all my life talking about Star Trek meaning so much to them, deeply touching them in personal ways and all that good stuff. I've always loved that the show could mean that to people but never thought that a TV show could do that to me.

And it's the Star Trek with the cat doctor talking about her coital hooks. Most importantly?

It's loving awesome!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Great Beer posted:

They just sorta bailed on the "mariner hates that everyone knows her mom is the captain" subplot halfway through didn't they.

Loved the series though. Best star trek since ds9.

A ship blowing up around you tends to focus you on the task at hand. Makes sense. Plus what Owlbear said.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

J33uk posted:

So, funny thing.

Glad to hear you're doing better!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just binged Lower Decks. That was pretty good. I'd say it was worth the $10 to watch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

J33uk posted:

So, funny thing. Almost died at the end of August, no biggie, mostly fine now but one thing that went was my memory of August and most of July. Bits and pieces are coming back but I can't tell you WTF for large periods of that time. I had to rewatch the first half of Lower Decks to catch up, I remembered characters, certain scenes but drat if I could tell you the entire plot of an episode. I cheered for Riker but the Rutherford stuff? Man that hit me like a train but what was even better was his attitude to the whole thing. I've heard plenty of people from plenty of backgrounds all my life talking about Star Trek meaning so much to them, deeply touching them in personal ways and all that good stuff. I've always loved that the show could mean that to people but never thought that a TV show could do that to me.

And it's the Star Trek with the cat doctor talking about her coital hooks. Most importantly?

It's loving awesome!

I went through a similar experience about four years ago now, also had basically a month of lost time thanks to a coma, so I can relate to the kind of disorienting hell that is. Glad to hear you're doing better :buddy:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god that big rescue scene was so cringeworthily cheesy I loved it so much

My face was pretty :swoon: there. I love it when this show goes for the big musical cues. I also unironically love the overwrought Cerritos inspection scene in the previous episode.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Honestly, a lot of the time the original Enterprise was the second contact crew, while the first contact crew got themselves killed decades before. Most of those first contact captains in the late 22nd century would also have been either contemporaries or students of Archer, which would explain a lot.

...:aaa:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

J33uk posted:

It's loving awesome!

Wassup, (possible) traumatic brain injury buddy? My almost-died brain thing was in late 2015, when I was in a bicycle accident. I very faintly recall the medics in the ambulance asking me what year it was... and how that felt like they were asking me to solve a complex quadratic equation in my head. It was really scary, not so much at the time but very much so in hindsight.

So I've been through the strangeness of wondering if I'm actually the same person after the accident as I was before. (It'd make a hell of Star Trek episode if I could come up with a way to depict it in script format.) And I wish I had a nice pat answer to that question, but I don't. Just hang in there, remember who you are, and stay close to the people who are close to you. You ARE still you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My face was pretty :swoon: there. I love it when this show goes for the big musical cues. I also unironically love the overwrought Cerritos inspection scene in the previous episode.

...:aaa:

Best of all, the guy who designed the Titan didn't know it was gonna show up on Lower Decks, so his inbox started blowing up shortly after midnight last night with people going "Sean! Sean! Look what they did! Look what's canon now!" and he's basically been in Nirvana ever since going by his twitter timeline.

https://twitter.com/SeanTourangeau/status/1314125812237430784

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So what is the (real life) history of the Titan? Why is it only considered canon now? Has it appeared in fan stuff before or something?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's Riker's ship from the novels and there was a series of USS Titan novels for a while that were popular.
Basically, unlike Star Wars the Star Trek novels aren't canon at all and references to the novels are rarely used in the TV franchise so seeing it on the show would be like Disney using that green bunny Han solo character from the 70s comics in The Last Jedi.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 9, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So what is the (real life) history of the Titan? Why is it only considered canon now? Has it appeared in fan stuff before or something?
Mentioned in Nemesis, designed as part of a competition by a fan for the covers of the book series, so semi-canon until now.

And it's also great that LD is bringing TAS back into canon, bit by bit. Caitians! Edoans! Giant Spock! (Incidentally, my young son is watching TAS on Netflix, and loving it.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Carbon dioxide posted:

IIRC it was made for a fan contest to design the actual Titan as it would appear on the titular line of books that came out post-Nemesis. Trek books aren’t strictly canon though, so aside from a handful of models (and I think an appearance in Star Trek Online?), this is the first time it’s been Official Canon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

15 years ago just after Nemesis was the last TNG film and it established that Riker would be moving on to captain the Titan, Simon & Schuster launched a series called Titan about his adventures, with a constent for fans to design the ship, since it was never seen in Nemesis.

Here was the winning announcement. It was made up into a 3D model and used for the book covers and the description in-book.

and because it was a good design and the EU stuff was kinda spreading back then, other media beyond the books ended up using it - it's in comics, video games, a collectable card game, so on so forth. It was basically the most established a design can be without being onscreen, so people were fond of it, but there was nothing actually making it 'official' or having trek beholden to depicting it that way until now. So it's kinda a fanboy moment to have this 15 year old design from secondary media finally show up and made 'real', especially since most of that stuff has now been dropped and rendered irrelevant with the new shows.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 9, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s a genuinely great design that fits in perfectly with the rest of the TNG-era fleet. I really miss ships that aren’t just piles of knives.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know if there are any other similar EU ship designs that they might have show up. Maybe the Aventine/Vesta Class, which was the other major novel design. Doesn't fit in as well, though, and the titan was at least already established by name and its association with Riker.

I'm just chuffed to see both the Olympic and the Luna established.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 9, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Enterprise-J is straight up a pizza cutter and it's supposed to have something like 250 security officers aboard. It's multiple times the size of the Enterprise-D and E and yet it's only got 700 people on board. poo poo's wild.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

The Enterprise-J is straight up a pizza cutter and it's supposed to have something like 250 security officers aboard. It's multiple times the size of the Enterprise-D and E and yet it's only got 700 people on board. poo poo's wild.

Where'd you get 700? I don't think they ever said but Drexler said when designing it could conceivably have hundreds of thousands, a literal city.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Where'd you get 700? I don't think they ever said but Drexler said when designing it could conceivably have hundreds of thousands, a literal city.

Ah poo poo, you're right. I saw the 700 number on Memory Gamma, which is apparently fan story canon.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

MikeJF posted:

I don't know if there are any other similar EU ship designs that they might have show up. Maybe the Aventine/Vesta Class, which was the other major novel design. Doesn't fit in as well, though, and the titan was at least already established by name and its association with Riker.

The old Franz Joseph designs from the Star Fleet Technical Manual that got used on screens in some films/TNG but never had canon ship appearances (outside a few novel covers iirc) would be cool, I drew the hell out of them as a kid

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I was quite happy to see the Olympic-class established as being a real thing after like 30 years of hazy "Eh, it was all Q bullshit, maybe it is, maybe it isn't" stuff. The Vesta-class hasn't shown up yet, but that one's also a good candidate at this point.

Basically the next big impossible get for them would be to make the Odyssey-class and/or Enterprise-F as it appears in Star Trek Online canon.

It's kind of halfway there already as the Picard prequel comics show that the USS Verity, the ship Picard and Raffi served on, was an Odyssey-class, but it hasn't shown up on screen yet either so it's not canon unless you really want it to be.

After that you start plumbing the depths of stuff like the video games, which is a mixed bag. The Activision-era Star Trek games, particularly Star Trek: Armada and Star Trek: Bridge Commander had some pretty on-point original starship designs. Armada and Armada II in particular present a really well fleshed out Romulan fleet rather than DS9's twenty billion copy-paste D'Deridexes. But Star Trek Online ships not designed by Adam Ihle (the dude who made the Enterprise-F) are absolute loving garbage.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t mind the Odyssey-class’s overall shape, but if it ever shows up in Lower Decks/Picard I hope they remove all the dumb charcoal/black accent paint and fix the horrible bucktoothed deflector dish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not a chance CBS lets the Enterprise-F use a game design, that poo poo is going to Eaves and will be so very pointy. Probably with multiple speed holes and shiny gunmetal finish.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t mind the Odyssey-class’s overall shape, but if it ever shows up in Lower Decks/Picard I hope they remove all the dumb charcoal/black accent paint and fix the horrible bucktoothed deflector dish.

The Eaglemoss special edition Enterprise-F thankfully ditches those elements. Though there is an alt-model with the black highlights and stupid deflector if you're like some kind of super turbo weirdo...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can customise the colours in the game and I think it looks best where the black highlights are set to be slightly darker than the rest of the hull. Not blank, but enough difference to have some visual interest.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tars Tarkas posted:

The old Franz Joseph designs from the Star Fleet Technical Manual that got used on screens in some films/TNG but never had canon ship appearances (outside a few novel covers iirc) would be cool, I drew the hell out of them as a kid
Speaking of non-canon stuff, I found the ship manual from the old (ST3-era) FASA Trek RPG, and hoo boy, if you think the Eaves school of starship design is hideous, you ain't seen nothin' yet. If I wasn't on my phone I'd torment your eyes with some of the most ugly/dopey monstrosities they came up with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Speaking of non-canon stuff, I found the ship manual from the old (ST3-era) FASA Trek RPG, and hoo boy, if you think the Eaves school of starship design is hideous, you ain't seen nothin' yet. If I wasn't on my phone I'd torment your eyes with some of the most ugly/dopey monstrosities they came up with.

Are they on par with that Ark Royal-class monstrosity from Starfleet Command 2 :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

Are they on par with that Ark Royal-class monstrosity from Starfleet Command 2 :v:
Having just looked at it... worse. And that Ark Royal is a munter.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Holy hell. Look at that thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gonz posted:

Holy hell. Look at that thing.

The hosed up tiny wolf of spacecraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Looks like a goddamn cyberpunk USB drive.