Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
One small detail that wasn't explained was Ashley's hair falling out. I guess we'll find out if that's significant in Season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
It looked to me like she had pulled it out. Maybe as a reaction to the stress of what's been going on.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
best character list:

1: Maeve
2: MM

Abyss posted:

One small detail that wasn't explained was Ashley's hair falling out. I guess we'll find out if that's significant in Season 3?

It's just stress, she was pulling her hair out in earlier episodes too. She's basically just being worked to death. It actually happens in real life too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Also, I really love how A Train displays twice in this episode that he's not super tactical or super cunning, he just looks through literally every file in a gigantic storage center and then through every person in New York.

Could be said that diligence is its own way of being smart. If you have the time and patience to do it the hard way, it still gets done.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Is there an explanation for being vulnerable to a knife in the eye but not bullets and crowbars?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Chopstix posted:

Is there an explanation for being vulnerable to a knife in the eye but not bullets and crowbars?

Probably only her skin is invulnerable.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Chopstix posted:

Her left eye was already pretty hosed up by Girls Getting it Done, and there is also the trope of eyes always being Hella squishy even for fake science superheroes. I think Becca just went for a spot that had already take a load of abuse and was an obvious target

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Chopstix posted:

just google anything about bulletproof vests, also I think in this instance we might be able to explain that her powers were diminished on account of the rear end-kicking she barely escaped

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Was the scene supposed to be a direct homage to Death Proof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0YejZC79wE

That was the first thing to come to mine when that scene happened. Hugest grin on my face.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Wasn't there something in the comics about storm front being afraid of getting blinded?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The one thing I don't get is...

...if Ryan was able to broad-beam Stormfront and leave her looking like a Nazi charcoal briquette, how did Becca just get away with a punctured/severed carotid? It doesn't make sense, unless they burned all their makeup budget on Stormfront and needed a cheaper way to kill Becca.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was an absolute banger of a finale.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...if Ryan was able to broad-beam Stormfront and leave her looking like a Nazi charcoal briquette, how did Becca just get away with a punctured/severed carotid? It doesn't make sense, unless they burned all their makeup budget on Stormfront and needed a cheaper way to kill Becca.

my thought was exploded bits of bone did it

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Stormfront's last lines, translated from here

"It was so beautiful. How the three of us sat there, in the shade of an apple tree.

Do you remember the day Frederick? Chloe's arms out of the car window. We found the perfect spot by the river, in the shade of an apple tree. It was the first time Chloe ate fresh apples."

"... was so happy. It was wonderful. I wanted it to never end."

Woden
May 6, 2006

Also, I really love how A Train displays twice in this episode that he's not super tactical or super cunning, he just looks through literally every file in a gigantic storage center and then through every person in New York.

Probably didn't even check his own file.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Stormfront says she doesn't break easy and shrugs off titty laser yet Becca was able to gouge out her eye with a knife? She's bulletproof so it's strange she was so easily injured.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The beat em-up scene was really satisfying – outside of just them beating up a nazi. At this point, yeah, most of the supes on the good guys team are women, so while it's a scene they've been building too, it feels less contrived. Good on them.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

On the matter of the Boys getting powers or not, I'm kind of two minds. On the one hand, the whole poverty batman schitck does work relatively well and is an interesting aspect of the narrative. On the other hand though, it is a superhero show in which most of your main cast can't take place in the cool superhero beatdowns. Also, when there's such a huge power disparity you constantly have to justify why superman doesn't just pull out batman's spine through his rear end in a top hat anytime they're in the vicinity of each other.

I think it could work either way. So far the writing has been good enough I think they could probably make either approach work. I'm definitely curious to see how it shakes out.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
My favorite line of the episode was when Stan is asked if he wants a Fresca, and Esposito's typical dry delivery of "No. Thank you. Awful stuff," right as Alastair is taking a big gulp of it. The look and the timing just slay me. Fantastic stuff. Unlike Fresca, which truly is something awful

This is a guy that is both provably capable of stealing almost anything in the world and morally ambivalent enough to be willing to actually do so, yet is still having money troubles for some reason. Crashing the meeting between Edgar and Alastair was smart, though. He also saw right through Stormfront immediately, which wasn't the case for Starlight or Homelander.

I'm also one of many that is very sad to see Beccap buy the farm. I really liked the job Shantel VanSanten did with the character, especially considering how fast everything moved once she was reintroduced. She was well written, too. Putting Billy's back against the wall with the dead brother's soul thing was a nice touch, as was her line about how Huey's good for Butcher. Great delivery, too. I'm a sucker for little scenes like that, too bad there weren't more of 'em.

Anyway, regarding the big scene itself, I thought the cutaway while Homeboy busts out his death ray was really lame. I know it was probably needed to give them the leeway to show how hosed up Stormfront got even though it barely touched Becca. Seems like maybe they couldn't agree on how to shoot it, or couldn't get the special effects right. Maybe they shot it one way, rewrote it, but couldn't do a reshoot because the 'Rona or something.

They did the same cutaway effect at the end of S1 when Homelander saves Billy and apparently the baby in the time it takes for a bomb to go off and most folks didn't seem to mind, so I may just be nitpicking, but it bothered me. IDK how hard it would be to just show a blast of multiple beams of light coming from Homeboy's eyes, one of which that ends up hitting Becca, but I can't imagine it'd be worse than another cutaway. It's not as bad as the flashing lights behind the door when Heroes did it, but it's noticeable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just figure kid shoots off a shotgun, some fragments of shrapnel nail Becca, then he swings it and it turns Stormfront into stumpy.

or he cuts her arm off, the hand claws into Becca's neck, kid freaks and Anakin's her before he shuts it off

I also think the cutaway adds enough ambiguity for Becca's last words to really hit. Either the kid hit her accidentally and she wants him to know he's not bad, or something else happened and she wants him to be certain he wasn't the cause of it

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 9, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have to say starlight seems to be a fairly weak supe. Her power just kinda bounces off everyone it hits and a whiff of some lightening and she’s knocked over like a kicked tent.

I was surprised by Maeve and Hewie’s interaction the most? She called him a twink? I had to ask someone what that meant. I mean wow you know Maeve is defo the hottest girl in the show to me so her turning out to be anti gay men is upsetting.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have to say starlight seems to be a fairly weak supe. Her power just kinda bounces off everyone it hits and a whiff of some lightening and she’s knocked over like a kicked tent.

I was surprised by Maeve and Hewie’s interaction the most? She called him a twink? I had to ask someone what that meant. I mean wow you know Maeve is defo the hottest girl in the show to me so her turning out to be anti gay men is upsetting.

I figure Starlight actually believes in being a Super Hero, so all her practice with her powers is for nonlethal takedowns. Just knocking people over or blinding people like a flashbang. She never had to think about how to use her powers to cripple or kill someone.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

text editor posted:

Her "coup from the inside" probably meant she had actually picked up on Neuman being controlled opposition.

The Boys served some purpose for Neuman, and ultimately Edgar - she also thanks Hughie later for what he's done.

Really, Edgar/Neuman are probably cleaning up internals threats to Vought as well as the external ones as they angle for power

Both Neuman and The Boys serve a purpose that benefits Vought. Neuman is controlled opposition- she literally got a shitload of anti-Vought people together in one room, and then killed them all in a way that intimidated the gently caress out of anyone trying to gently caress with Vought. The Boys are an anti-Homelander tool, especially with Butcher in charge. Given how Homelander just ripped apart a team of Vought security, Vought probably wants a team of people (injected with stable V?) handy to keep Homelander in check, especially since they now have limited access to Ryan. In this sense, the CIA is the intermediary between Vought and the Boys- their puppet Neuman can ask the CIA for anti-supe and anti-Vought favors, and they'll turn to The Boys for help. If Neuman becomes president, she'll be in an even better position to protect and benefit Vought, and she'll get access to Ryan by straight-up controlling the CIA.

Vought lost nothing this season- they turned V going public into an opportunity. They turned the Boys into a compliant anti-supe tool (that they can point at whatever they need gone). They managed to salvage Nazi Stormfront into a PR face-saving opportunity. Their plans to make V available for law enforcement have only been delayed, not stopped.

Yeah this episode made me respect A Train a shitload more. His speed is impressive, but that level of meticulous, patient attention to detail is much scarier. Maeve was fantastic, I did not expect her to stand up to then successfully stare down a bloodsoakedHomelander like that, holy gently caress.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Now that's out of my system, what does supe AOC have to gain out of all this? She set up the whole hearing only to kill everyone important. Why? What is she doing?

Are you really asking why an Amazon original show had the AOC stand-in congresswoman from New York be a secret evil head-exploding supervillain? lmao c'mon, they're probably gonna have an evil old-guy supervillain from vermont next season. :v:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Now that's out of my system, what does supe AOC have to gain out of all this? She set up the whole hearing only to kill everyone important. Why? What is she doing?
She works for Vought. Vought is running controlled opposition; all the key anti-Vought media figures are actually just Vought itself, so they can ultimately control their own image. It's foreshadowed earlier this season with Stormfront, who makes waves fresh out of the gate being the anti-corporate new-media supe who is actually one of the founding corporate members of Vount Int. It's also why Stan was never remotely worried about The Boys running around; except for the initial rlease of information on Compound V, all the Boys were doing was hoovering up info leaks Vought had missed and inadvertently handing them to Vought compromised agents.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I enjoyed that after building up Becca's ability to calm Butcher they actually write her in such a way that it's believable. The way she talks about Hughie being good for him, brings up Lemmy, and even immediately forgives him and works on overcoming it when he reveals he betrayed her.

Maeve is a bisexual woman and obviously active in pride circles where it's not uncommon to use stereotypical gay archetypes. It was a bit rough but I didn't take it was an overly bigoted thing. I also took her line of how she'd tear him in half like dry firewood as a 50% rough insult 50% sexual thing (rewatching, her tongue couldn't be more in her cheek unless it was poking out the dude)

I was expecting Homelander finding the Vought security trying to secure "the kid" would make him turn on Stan more because it was obviously an attempt to take Ryan from under him

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 9, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

+1 to being disappointed at the Becca storyline. But Shantel VanSanten did a great job with the material she was given.

Sio posted:

Maeve teleporting into scenes directly behind people was really strange for this show's normal level of quality and reminded me of the way Zombies would show up on The Walking Dead.

The whole central confrontation felt a bit like it had been edited a little too much for time given the episode's already extended length and some connective tissue was lost.

For a bit there that clearing seemed to be the only place to exist in the show's world. Every character just dropping in out of nowhere. It was silly.

The fight was pretty satisying though. Looking forward to the X Gon' Give It To Ya memes.

Cael posted:

"People LOVE what I have to say. They BELIEVE in it. They just don't like the word Nazi." I dunno . . . there could still be some areas of gray to examine in this. (kidding)

Also lol at them lampshading the use of Billy Joel.

loving amazing finale and season.

That line reminded me of Look Who's Back.

Blind Rasputin posted:

ElBrak posted:

I figure Starlight actually believes in being a Super Hero, so all her practice with her powers is for nonlethal takedowns. Just knocking people over or blinding people like a flashbang. She never had to think about how to use her powers to cripple or kill someone.

Yeah, I'm begining to think Starlight doesn't really have it in her to deliberately hurt people. She isn't vicious enough.

itry fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 9, 2020

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I’ve seen a lot of shows use pastiches of modern politicians and influential figures in the last few years (e.g. the clear Bernie stand-in in Succession.) So far they’ve all behaved like the real life figure they’re based on and how they would actually react. Very clever of this show to create an AOC pastiche and then reveal that she’s actually a villain integral to the plot. Assumed she was nothing more than an AOC stand-in and never saw it coming. Smart writing and a smart way to subvert expectations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I also got the overall feeling this was a great season finale, but was also made to stand in for a series finale as well. I can only feel like they’ve seen the writing on the wall with all the other cancellations and know s3, while it likely will happen, has a chance of not happening. So they built this finale to be a good series end if need be. I really hope we get s3. I totally believe it could take two (or more) years though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

I also got the overall feeling this was a great season finale, but was also made to stand in for a series finale as well. I can only feel like they’ve seen the writing on the wall with all the other cancellations and know s3, while it likely will happen, has a chance of not happening. So they built this finale to be a good series end if need be. I really hope we get s3. I totally believe it could take two (or more) years though.

Yeah, I thought the finale was perfect (teleporting Maeve being a contrivance I can let go) and if they get cancelled then they've left off at a place where the story can be called complete.

Also super glad that we got literally in a photo with Hitler for the people still refusing to get it, and even then Stormfront's calling it lies.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The Boys is crushing in viewership, there is no way the show doesn’t come back.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

bbf2 posted:

I’ve seen a lot of shows use pastiches of modern politicians and influential figures in the last few years (e.g. the clear Bernie stand-in in Succession.) So far they’ve all behaved like the real life figure they’re based on and how they would actually react. Very clever of this show to create an AOC pastiche and then reveal that she’s actually a villain integral to the plot. Assumed she was nothing more than an AOC stand-in and never saw it coming. Smart writing and a smart way to subvert expectations.

That Bernie stand in was insanely corrupt and took a deal with basically Successions version of Fox News.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Props to people who called AOC as the head-popper. Wasn't expecting that!

God I hope this carries over to real life.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I assumed it was stormfront who punctured the throat considering she was choking becca at the time, we dont get to see if the beam or how long ryan was burning stormfront

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Szymanski posted:

I assumed it was stormfront who punctured the throat considering she was choking becca at the time, we dont get to see if the beam or how long ryan was burning stormfront

Yea this is pretty much my take. She had a pretty solid death grip on her, easy to assume she did some real damage as the arm flew off.

I just wanna watch that beat down scene on loop all day today

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Szymanski posted:

Right, if she got blasted off while choking Becca to death it doesn’t seem implausible she tore a chunk of neck off in the process. I was assuming the kid knew he didn’t hit her, but that he still failed to save her. Less a “shoot the hostage” situation, and more a “villain finishes cutting the throat after being shot” scenario. Still traumatizing, but Ryan didn’t actively do it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Doesn't mean she's anti gay men, although using a gay term obviously isn't good, she's just commenting on Hughie's appearance and insuting his lack of perceived masculinity just like the mom was.

Edit: its not a default slur, its a descriptor used within the community, although it can be used as a slur

Darko fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 9, 2020

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Szymanski posted:

That seemed like a pretty good finale with a decent amount of hooks for Season 3 if they want to continue with it; so many good Fresca scenes too.

Yeah I assumed it was when the arm was severed by the kids laser vision that the hand would have clenched leaving a sizable tear in the throat. I assumed Becca's wasn't so much implying he killed her but that he would feel very guilty about injuring Stormfront and then her dying in that position.

Regarding Maeve appearing at the scene, I just sort of assumed she has some form of movement ability like the leap the other posters mentioned. When we see her land in front of the truck in episode one of season one I just assumed she leapt to get to that position. An invisble jet next season would be an amusing gag though.

Homelanders face when Stormfront starts going on about white genoicide though; it was amazing. :colbert:

Comic related theory for season 3 so I'll spoil it.

Since people mentioned that they use V to resurrect superheroes I was thinking we might see something like that done with Noir and Stormfront as both of them seem severely damaged but not completely dead.

I also didn't think the twink thing was meant to be anti-gay men more just anti-Hughie, I sort of passed over the split him like wood thing being partially sexual too. I sort of assumed she meant she could physically rip him in half with her hands, though I do see the connection now.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 9, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The show was renewed for Season 3 before 2 even aired and they announced a spinoff partway through this season. It's also Amazon's most successful show by a long shot and was one of the streaming winners of last year overall. I don't think we have to worry about another season even with COVID

Kripke said that they're already partway through writing Season 3 all about Vic the Veep aka AOC and her crazy conniving. He also said you're mad if you think she's not evil because she "blew up Congress" but also that her allegiances aren't so simple

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's been said a ton already, but just chiming in that the beatdown on Stormfront by Maeve, Starlight and Kimiko was incredible.

Also, I love the way Butcher's face changes when he realizes that Ryan is scared of Homelander, rejecting him, and trying to hide behind Butcher for protection. I think it's the first time he actually legitimately sees Ryan as a kid and not some kind of monster, and probably brings up all kind of memories of his own brother and and his fear of their father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I agree that she became a lot less interesting one she went full mask off Nazi mode. It was intriguing when she was some kind of anarchic memelord that clearly had something weird going on, but then that something weird ended being "she's a Nazi, not just a Nazi, like the archetypical Nazi from which all other Nazis are molded".

Still holding out hope for MechaStormfront because that would be totally in line with the Comic Book Nazi aesthetic.

I'm feeling the exact opposite about it, and I'm glad they went that way. Because that's really the point: At the end of the day, it really is just the same same rotten garbage it always was. Beneath the catchy memes, the pretenses at anarchism, the trappings of trendy counterculture, it still is just plain fascism. No clever twist, no grand reveal of a deep motivation, just the same old poo poo it always was with barely a new coat of paint slapped onto it.

And from that perspective, Stormfront getting the comeuppance of an utterly humiliating and deserved beatdown was just pure loving catharsis. Fascists long for a heroic struggle or glorious last stand, and this purposefully denied it to her. Not to mention that in the end she was just nuked by an actual child who barely knew what he was doing.

God that was a good loving episode. :allears: