Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One of my attempted tricks to skip a drowning chamber was to have a drop off for all excess critters with a room full of pokeshells guarding eggs. Pokeshells molt so I figured I get the extra lime from that while letting them serve a purpose. It works okay with an extra layer of fun watching them go crazy.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Mazz posted:

One of my attempted tricks to skip a drowning chamber was to have a drop off for all excess critters with a room full of pokeshells guarding eggs. Pokeshells molt so I figured I get the extra lime from that while letting them serve a purpose. It works okay with an extra layer of fun watching them go crazy.

Stone hatches will put up a fight

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

temple posted:

What is a regular drowning chamber?
A 2x2 container of liquid.

E: maybe with a horizontal pneumatic door on top.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 8, 2020

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
ngl, space stuff is very daunting and the couple times I even tried to make a solar power setup with a radar everything burned to the ground so I've never even thought of making a rocket that actually works.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
rockets are easier than solar, until you get to hydrogen rockets. but even liquid hydrogen is only annoying, not actually hard, imo, since you only lose a bit of time and break some pipes if you gently caress up

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Solar isn't that bad. There's basically just two parts to it:
1. Build a row of bunker doors across the top of the map hooked up to radar dishes so they close when meteors are a comin'.
2. Build a row of mesh/airflow tiles below that to catch the falling regolith and then do something to break down the solid tiles into debris. I guess the intended way is to use robo-miners but cooling them in space sounds annoying so I've always used a row of horizontal doors that are rigged up to close for one frame every few seconds, breaking down any solid tiles caught within them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

LegoMan posted:

ngl, space stuff is very daunting and the couple times I even tried to make a solar power setup with a radar everything burned to the ground so I've never even thought of making a rocket that actually works.
Rockets are really straightforward to just adhoc build. If you make a really naive setup you're going to have problems with always melting your wires. If you use steel you'll probably be fine, and if somehow you're not tuck them into bunker tiles or iron metal tiles for easy temperature regulation.

Also never build wires or anything valuable within 8 tiles of the rocket's exhaust. The exhaust thing is only for the initial launch position. Not as it flies away.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 8, 2020

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Space is pretty easy. It boils down to the position of the first robominer and building around it. Miners are the only things that need to be cooled and at steel temperatures, an steam generator/coolant loop can keep them at 125 C perpetually (at no power to boot). Space is just counter intuitive because it has specific rules that goes against logic. Like which tiles block sunlight and space scanners' being confusing at first.

temple fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 8, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I had the brilliant idea of cooling my drills with my waste CO2. Rather than cooling anything, it acted as a medium to rapidly spread the heat to everything and destroyed my solar panels. :doh:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Someone was asking about petrol boilers and shutdown earlier. Here's my latest creation. It's had an oil backup, a sour gas accident, and a steam incident that have been all been cleaned up, so I've pretty much left access to all the important parts. Currently running at 6kg/s, but you can turn them off as long as you do it from the bottom as shown here:

I'm using the pliers mod which makes things so much easier - the top row has the parallel lines of insulated & radiant piping which can be tuned with no dupe interaction so that you don't get any oil flashing while it sits in the pipes.

Edit: This is a volcano powered one - obsidian insulation and steel doors are all the tech you need to make it, tho aluminum for the pipes is a nice to have.

Edit2:
I found the worst bit about space was having rockets smash stuff up repeatedly, so I now use:

(Not 100% error free, but much better than nothing)

Red cable on the right goes to the scanner, the green cable next to it is off to a 3second filter gate then a second gantry (ignore the switch on that line!)
The top switch is the launch control. Don't forget to turn it back to red unless you want the rocket to fly a repeated harvesting runs.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 9, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've used bunker tiles under my rocket pad, but I occasionally get cut steel power and automation wires near the rocket and bunker doors. Not often, but enough to be annoying

Even a properly retracted steel gantry just far enough in to reach when extended occasionally needs repair so I just keep a line of maddox or obsidian ladders right next to the rocket all the way up.

My last run I didn't bother cooling the steel miners and I only occasionally needed to repair one. Much simpler then running that annoying cooling loop. I did spend a good amount of time repairing sweepers made out of thermium though, which I thought was the point of space material?

This run I'm trying to keep liquids separated proper, mangas heat better, try all the plants, and leave things be hands off stable as opposed to 'runs fine for 100 cycles then breaks in a cascade failure'

temple
Jul 29, 2006

OzyMandrill posted:

Someone was asking about petrol boilers and shutdown earlier. Here's my latest creation. It's had an oil backup, a sour gas accident, and a steam incident that have been all been cleaned up, so I've pretty much left access to all the important parts. Currently running at 6kg/s, but you can turn them off as long as you do it from the bottom as shown here:

I'm using the pliers mod which makes things so much easier - the top row has the parallel lines of insulated & radiant piping which can be tuned with no dupe interaction so that you don't get any oil flashing while it sits in the pipes.

Edit: This is a volcano powered one - obsidian insulation and steel doors are all the tech you need to make it, tho aluminum for the pipes is a nice to have.

Edit2:
I found the worst bit about space was having rockets smash stuff up repeatedly, so I now use:

(Not 100% error free, but much better than nothing)

Red cable on the right goes to the scanner, the green cable next to it is off to a 3second filter gate then a second gantry (ignore the switch on that line!)
The top switch is the launch control. Don't forget to turn it back to red unless you want the rocket to fly a repeated harvesting runs.

This is my automation set up.
The bottom right wire goes to the scanner. Rockets can launch and land themselves once I set the destination and pilot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

There has been a mistake.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I have an excess of polluted dirt that idiot dupes will gleefully drop in vacuumed areas on the way to an oil biome compost, what's the best way to get rid of sporechid seeds?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shumagorath posted:

If I have an excess of polluted dirt that idiot dupes will gleefully drop in vacuumed areas on the way to an oil biome compost, what's the best way to get rid of sporechid seeds?

You can always create a bin for them, then box the bin up behind some walls so that you don't have access to them.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Try dropping them in magma and report back.

Plant them in your base. :twisted:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shadow0 posted:

Try dropping them in magma and report back.

Plant them in your base. :twisted:
Look I might have hooked up an un-switched demon coil in my first base but that doesn't make me a sap.

I have a suit-only base and bedrooms full of buddy buds, bring it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:doh:

Will that machine work if I hook it up while it's under all that salt water etc or do I have to do a digging/pumping

(e) Oh, it's a dumping machine, not a piped one. Answers that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 10, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009
They DGAF. A popular way to run them is submerged under oil which stops the water from flash-boiling to steam.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh ok, so I can just box it up and leave the pump there after all the salt's gone. Didn't realize it dumped into the world rather than a pipe!

(e) dang, three of these to fill one crude pipe? guess I've got to secure more clean water/build more desalination
(ee) oh wait, that's 1kg, not 10kg. phew

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 10, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If you use a petroleum boiler, the waste water from the generators is actually water positive once sieved. It's just barely water negative if you use the oil refinery.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As a matter of fact!

I'll go water-negative again when I actually use all that petrol for something other than power, but in the meantime, hooray infinite-resources-until-something-backs-up-or-breaks-down! :toot:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Your magma pools reminded me -- there is a funny thing you can do in a vacuum. Build a line of insulated tiles like 20 tiles long along the bottom of your magma pool. Set it up so a duplicant can cut straight in from the side and they'll pierce the bottom of the pit (as best as possible). The magma will top out at 10 tiles wide (leaving plenty of buffer), spilling out from the pit.

If you're quick, you can get a mop command on the blade! You can bottle up hundreds of tons of magma pretty quickly that way.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

is there anything I can do to keep my dupes from getting clobbered while building bunker protection from meteors (hell, and on the climb up to do that)?

(e) nm, realized i could ladder straight up and build the doors between showers

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 10, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god, nikola, why.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ciaphas posted:

oh my god, nikola, why.

Welcome to space. Build a ladder that they can use to get on top only after you finished all of the doors.

If you're really worried, move it down a few tiles and you can build a little bunker exit/entrance they can use to get out using bunker tiles. I've done that a few times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I reloaded that particular one away :v: but once I got one door up with a ladder under the rest came naturally.

The drills aren't cooled yet - that was delayed because I somehow ran out of igneous rock for the insulated tiles :psypop:

dear god i hope the abyssalite/airlock/obsidian-tile-office-because-how'd-it-spawn-there-anyway-:confused: arrangement is air- and shovel-tight. i only just learned they poo poo tiles, and that's terrible!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 11, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I added a tile so this little critter and all its descendants will be "safe" from now on.
What is "critter cruelty"?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I will say that BBQ is way easier on the wild population than omelettes. I do wish there was a stun-and-slaughter available rather than drowning / flash fry.

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008
Whew!

After several bases that were abandoned after a few hundred cycles, I just finished a game where I was able to complete every colony achievement in one base by cycle 760. Definitely a fun challenge, and requires a solid understanding of the game mechanics. Before I slammed the launch button on my hydrogen rocket to achieve “The Great Escape”, I marked the occasion by playing music from 2001: Space Odyssey. The crescendo timed perfectly with the animation, and that moment will now forever be one of my favorite gaming moments.

Tips:
  • Don’t bother ranching any other creatures besides hatches for meat. Other creatures drop less meat or have longer incubation periods. Meat cooked into BBQ is so effective I never fed my dupes anything else.
  • Once you have a hatch farm, start evolving towards stony and then smooth hatches. This saves you the hassle of setting up a refinery for a long time (or at least limit how much you’ll need one until it’s time to ramp up steel production)
  • Engie tune-ups are super valuable, so make the extra effort and create rooms for your power generators.
  • Use a clock with your incubators. Only enable them for a short period of time each cycle, enough so that your ranchers can lullaby for the incubation boost. If you have multiple in a row, sequence them with overlap so your rancher can efficiently move from one to the next.
  • Glossy dreckos make the polymer press pointless (I never built one). As has been suggested before, have one farm setup with mealwood just for egg harvesting, and then incubate the eggs in a room full of hydrogen so you can later shear for plastic. Remember to trigger the “Locavore” achievement before building mealwood farms for your glossy dreckos.
  • The ONI rocket calculator is indispensable: https://oni-assistant.com/tools/rocketcalculator
  • When going for the “Easy Living” achievement, remember that deliveries to storage does not count, only to machines. Set up some simple conveyors + sweepers for feeding your farms, grill, plus 2-3 kilns pumping out ceramic. You’ll easily have more automated sweep jobs vs. dupe jobs.
  • Scheduling is important to get the most from your dupes. 3 units of sleep followed by 3 units of downtime is all they need (no bath time). Do not use showers, they are a waste of time and water. Build a water cooler in your dining area to create a great hall, but disable it (otherwise your dupes will use it during downtime). Have a dedicated recreation room filled with either soda fountains or espresso machines. They are very easy to setup, are quick to use by your dupes (must faster than saunas or sun beds), and give good morale/stat bonuses.
  • Be mindful that transit tube access buildings have limited charges and are slow to recharge. If you have a living space that can only be accessed by transit tubes, use schedules and door permissions to avoid dupes idling while the transit tube access building is recharging.
  • Dig into the oil biome and start mining lead as soon as you have suits. Having access to tonnes of refined material is a must when running heavy-watt conduits throughout your base.
  • Automated notifiers are your friend. Set them up so that you immediately know when power, water, or oil is running low (the latter is especially important so you don’t blow up your petroleum boiler).
  • “Super Sustainable” will take you forever unless you get started with steam turbines, ideally with a tamed volcano.

I've uploaded my full map, the timelapse, and other misc. pics here: https://imgur.com/a/0gVwLWb

Now to sit back and wait for the DLC!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm going to disagree on smooth hatches after playing a map where half of my starting ore was too hot to handle and every kilo counted.

Food... well I've never ranched anything other than hatches, slicksters and exploit-y pacu so I dunno if I can vouch for voles yet.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 11, 2020

temple
Jul 29, 2006

That's really cool, I like seeing other people's bases. Thanks for sharing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

I'm going to disagree on smooth hatches after playing a map where half of my starting ore was too hot to handle and every kilo counted.

Food... well I've never ranched anything other than hatches, slicksters and exploit-y pacu so I dunno if I can vouch for voles yet.

I think the tips are specifically for a quick all-achievement run. You're going to need to process at least 10T of ore via hatch anyway.

But if you're not limited by time, you can always get more metal from the sky or rockets or volcanos.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t think dupes need three hours of sleep.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

As I understand it they only need one tick on the schedule for sleep - as long as they're still in sleep schedule when they're out of higher downtime priorities (pee & food mostly). And once they're down, they stay down to 100% stamina unless you smack Red Alert (and maybe even then, I haven't tried).

With just one bed block I found that even with the four break blocks they have preceding, they'd sometimes do everything BUT bed - taking too long to eat, usually - so they get two. Two break blocks before that, in increasing amounts as time goes on, and all the rest work. Bathroom schedule blocks are a waste.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shadow0 posted:

I think the tips are specifically for a quick all-achievement run.
Good point, I misunderstood. Need to install coffee maker in base IRL

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So my base is so low on water that I filled my drowning chamber with Ethanol (arboria start).

Does this count as pre-marinating my barbecue?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Pickling.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nah, I feel Brine would be more pickling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Alkydere posted:

Nah, I feel Brine would be more pickling.

I do love getting liquids from the printing pods. Makes my drowning chamber so much easier to setup. I haven't done a petroleum or oil one yet, but usually I haven't cracked the oil biome before I need it.

Shumagorath posted:

Voles are definitely worth it once you get into space. They take a while to spin up, but starvation ranching them is amazingly easy, and requires no feeding once you have enough of them.

Just do not take any chances with them. No incubators, just drop the eggs in by autosweeper/shipping rails and let them hatch naturally. You will drop one otherwise and now you've got a vole in your steam chamber, and half your base is overheating cause it poo poo on the aquatuner and shut it down and you have to build a liquid lock to get in without losing the steam, or it's running around blocking up your SPOM and now your oxygen production is down, your suits don't have any O2 and you can't fix anything without the suits and everything shits the bed.

No, I haven't gone back about 5 saves when I realized a vole got into my base. Why do you ask?

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 12, 2020