Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay now that I know it's possible (the Sortomatic features list includes it :toot: )I definitely want a house that offers the "Craft from storage" function, and the schoolhouse doesn't seem to have that.

EDIT: being able to somehow exclude items from being autosorted would be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Okay now that I know it's possible (the Sortomatic features list includes it :toot: )I definitely want a house that offers the "Craft from storage" function, and the schoolhouse doesn't seem to have that.

EDIT: being able to somehow exclude items from being autosorted would be nice too.

If you have the Sortomatic version of Afterschool Special interact with a crafting bench while in sneak mode to bring up a menu and that should be an option.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Have you replaced the non-sortomatic Schoolhouse special version with the sortomatic version? VNV has the original for some strange reason by default. You can just overwrite with afterschool-sortomatic version, install sortomatic.esm (the resource) separately and place it above afterschoolspecial.esm in your load order

I have a hundred hours of stuff in my school right now and craft from storage, auto sorting, and even inventory restock management are all working smoothly

I also use the nvse added console command "rename" to label all my containers for quick viewing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you have the Sortomatic version of Afterschool Special interact with a crafting bench while in sneak mode to bring up a menu and that should be an option.
Hm. Nothing happens. Did Wabbajack get the non sortomatic version?

EDIT: ah

Do I need to pick everything back up and drag it outside before I do this?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I use this mod! It's the Sink. Obsidian gave you a hella overpowered home base in vanilla game, and it seems reasonable to use it.The mod just adds more clutter, and makes the area feel more lived-in.

I also use Jaxonz Positioner to lock down all the physics objects, so they won't fling around and play silly-buggers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bony tony posted:

I use this mod! It's the Sink. Obsidian gave you a hella overpowered home base in vanilla game, and it seems reasonable to use it.The mod just adds more clutter, and makes the area feel more lived-in.

I also use Jaxonz Positioner to lock down all the physics objects, so they won't fling around and play silly-buggers.
The Sink does have some nice features but I don't want to have to dismiss five (so far) people and pick them back up again every time I want to go to my house to drop off the results of combing all the loot out of a location.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

The Sink does have some nice features but I don't want to have to dismiss five (so far) people and pick them back up again every time I want to go to my house to drop off the results of combing all the loot out of a location.

That's why I like using the improved Transportalponder mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49785

Not only does it take your companions, it remembers the spot you used it in.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Always ~rename Boone to Dirk Hardpec

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Shades McStoic over here

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Scowls McShootfar

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Gimmemy Hatback.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Flint McHeadshot

If I was a modder I would change Lombard Station so that when you quick travel to it, you're already inside instead of having to walk inside. And also you'd be able to fast travel from that spot as well

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
That little path before the inner entrance is also poorly navmeshed so your loot packmules companions will sometimes get hung up and stop following you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hi I may be an idiot but I've never understood the point of bases in Fallout/Elder Scrolls. If I wanted to keep something but not take it with me I put it in a barrel or something.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

In some of the FO/ES games respawning containers would overwrite anything you put in them after a time. I don't think there are that many in NV that will do it but there always the chance to lose that unique that you'll never use or the 5 billion scrap metals you've been collecting. It's also nice to have a single place to dump everything.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sortomatic is also really awesome. You can configure where everything gets sorted from a central hub, let you craft from containers, extract items from categories easily; and even set up one touch inventory refills where it'll take your loot, refill your stimpacks and ammo, sort everything etc

Especially useful in hardcore where you can't just carry every bullet and stimpack you find

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hi I may be an idiot but I've never understood the point of bases in Fallout/Elder Scrolls. If I wanted to keep something but not take it with me I put it in a barrel or something.

Yeah but where is that barrel? Will that barrel respawn its contents after some indeterminate amount of time? But yeah I kinda get what you're saying, in the end I usually just give myself infinite carry weight and say gently caress it, I am the base. In no game have I ever found weight management enjoyable. There's always some cheap stupid way to bypass it, and in Fallout that way was to just constantly travel back to your base and drop poo poo off. I know you're supposed to like, pick and choose what you loot but why would I do that when I can just loot everything and make 10 trips? That results in having stuff, stuff that I want.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

What if the barrels could be read by the crafting bench next to them and you didn't need to juggle everything every time you wanted to craft an item, though! :thunk:

New Vegas you also need a lot of random junk around to use repairing your gear.

I prefer it to infinite carry weight, really, since dealing with the pipboy inventory interface in Fallout 3/New Vegas is a pain if there's too much poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I tend to play these games with more of a roleplaying bent where having a nice home base is a benefit. I could just shove all my belongings into an empty barrel next to a workbench and call it a day, but I'm probably playing with needs mods that require me to eat, sleep, and drink and more restricted weight limits that keep me from just carting an entire town on my back. Something like Lombard Station or Lucky 38 Suite Reloaded provides a convenient place for me to sort all my stuff, do any needs management easily, and automatically pull crafting items from the containers when I want to craft something so I don't need to do that tedious bit. I can then kit myself out with a few days' worth of supplies and actually have some difficulty if I start running low instead of having dozens of healing and recovery items to smash into my face whenever I run into a tough enemy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's nice to have a little pattern of going back to base and decompressing after a quest or you've been through a lot. Also once you're in the habit of hording items either for aesthetic reasons or because you might need them later, you gotta store all that somewhere. Maybe fill up a bathtub with money or something.

It's better when there's something to do in your house that makes it feel homey, like you've got some fish or something. Or if your teammates are living there and you can hang out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I like my base mods because I roleplay as a hobbit who likes to see his shelves and larders fill up.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wish there were a base mod that would also include all the sink AIs. I always end up having to split my time between the sink and the fancy mod base bc of all the crafting/processing stations unique to the sink. I remember trying to edit the mod with geck but couldn’t figure out how to add them

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's been way too long and I need to play New Vegas again. Last I messed with it was with a little light modding, some of Project Nevada (which I honestly wasn't all that blown away by?) and one or two others.

Kinda feeling I might want to go a bit more overhaul-y this time. Is there a good base set of mods to start from for a decently refreshed experience in NV?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

theshim posted:

It's been way too long and I need to play New Vegas again. Last I messed with it was with a little light modding, some of Project Nevada (which I honestly wasn't all that blown away by?) and one or two others.

Kinda feeling I might want to go a bit more overhaul-y this time. Is there a good base set of mods to start from for a decently refreshed experience in NV?

Viva New Vegas is a pretty great modding guide, and there is a wabbajack profile for it that'll let you get up and running in half an hour or so.

Project Nevada is very outdated and everything it does is done better by other mods without janky scripts that run every frame for no reason

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'd still wanna customize Viva New Vegas, as there are a bunch of choices that I don't particularly agree with and mods it doesn't include, but it's a great starting point.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Viva New Vegas is one of the least horny modding guides I've ever encountered and for that it has earned my everlasting admiration.

e: It's also decently good at explaining why it wants you to select certain options, while many other guides tell you to pick setups that seem completely inexplicable, without explaining why you're doing so (prime example: telling you to install the version of a mod that explicitly isn't compatible with an earlier mod the guide made you install. Usually this is because the guide has custom compatibility patches that make the original ones superfluous). This explanatory aspect of VNV makes it a lot easier to skip mods you don't like, as you'll generally be told things like "Pick this unless you skipped mod X, in which case you should do this other thing."

Annoyingly, but perhaps obviously, there's a massively overlap between "mod guides that suddenly get horny several hours in" and "mod guides that don't explain anything and don't allow for any leeway."

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 9, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The biggest changes in VNV that feel a bit unexpected are mostly made in the StewieAI tweaks ini, notably disabling sneak attack critical. It also disables "quest failed" notifications unless you started the quest yourself which can be backbreaking because of how minor things in New Vegas like an NPC dying to raiders can break huge questlines that aren't easily fixed with commands.

I just recommend having a look at the installed mods really quickly just to get a handle on all the big stuff. It's less vanilla+ and more jsawyer+ too, but I think jsawyer is the definitive way to play

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I love the Mission Failed sound, the game just directly going "h e y , d u m b a s s"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

This explanatory aspect of VNV makes it a lot easier to skip mods you don't like,
Unless your install suddenly stops working partway through ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fortunately my biggest concern, the "make everything except armor and weapons way more expensive" change, you can just disable without problems

EDIT: also yes, go through the stewie and jsawyer inis with a fine tooth comb

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Unless your install suddenly stops working partway through ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fortunately my biggest concern, the "make everything except armor and weapons way more expensive" change, you can just disable without problems

EDIT: also yes, go through the stewie and jsawyer inis with a fine tooth comb

What happened?

My VNV install was pretty incredible, I got my first crash at 101 hours. Which is a new record for me. I did add new Vegas heap replacer though, Qolore mentioned he's adding it in the next guide revision and it's EXCELLENT

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

What happened?

My VNV install was pretty incredible, I got my first crash at 101 hours. Which is a new record for me. I did add new Vegas heap replacer though, Qolore mentioned he's adding it in the next guide revision and it's EXCELLENT
Partway through installing it, I mean. IIRC you offered help during that.

I think my only crashes once I actually got things going were when I told the computer in the schoolhouse to grab all the something off the shelves. Because I have been carrying literally everything of value back whenever i loot somewhere. Things stopped vanishing into the aether only to sometimes reappear in the homeless items chest once I turned the crafting stations off "draw from all storage" though so I stopped wanting to try and do that to find where some gear I didn't want sorted went.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 9, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish I didn't have to use JIP's NVSE extension as a framework for some other mods. I love most of the changes that JIP adds, but there's one arbitrary change I hate: he altered things so upping your survival skill doesn't also increase the negative impacts of alcohol. I love getting super strong from drinking liquor in New Vegas and the side effect of going from an intellectual to a raving moron after chugging a bottle of whiskey is funny to me. I dont know why he changed it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Partway through installing it, I mean. IIRC you offered help during that.

I think my only crashes once I actually got things going were when I told the computer in the schoolhouse to grab all the something off the shelves. Because I have been carrying literally everything of value back whenever i loot somewhere.

Yeah with sortomatic (if I recall you added?) you need to be careful with how much you dump at once in the autosorter. I found sometimes I'd have to select the same option in the auto-extract menu twice to get it to work. When I was putting stuff in I'd exit out after a load to stop it from gumming up. I had it break once but I caught it when all my poo poo was in weird locations before I had any crashes.

Still pretty smooth for what it is in this engine

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, sortomatic.

The actual symptoms were that stuff would just... be nowhere. Or be in the Homeless Items Box, but not long enough for me to open it before they vanished into nowhere, and then reappear there when I tried to sort my inventory at the button again. I turned the crafting stations to only check each other instead of literally everything in the house and it resumed working fine.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ThaumPenguin posted:

Viva New Vegas is one of the least horny modding guides I've ever encountered and for that it has earned my everlasting admiration.

e: It's also decently good at explaining why it wants you to select certain options, while many other guides tell you to pick setups that seem completely inexplicable, without explaining why you're doing so (prime example: telling you to install the version of a mod that explicitly isn't compatible with an earlier mod the guide made you install. Usually this is because the guide has custom compatibility patches that make the original ones superfluous). This explanatory aspect of VNV makes it a lot easier to skip mods you don't like, as you'll generally be told things like "Pick this unless you skipped mod X, in which case you should do this other thing."

Annoyingly, but perhaps obviously, there's a massively overlap between "mod guides that suddenly get horny several hours in" and "mod guides that don't explain anything and don't allow for any leeway."

Are you using a nonstandard definition of horny

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nah, not unless gratuitous nudity is non-standard.

It's usually more of a problem with modding guides for other "Bethesda" games, particularly Skyrim.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 9, 2020

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I looked at some of the stuff in VNV. A bunch of the tweaks and gameplay changes (particularly the stuff in the stewie one) really look to me like stuff that just makes the game more annoying to play, rather than more interesting or actually difficult. Am I just a weak babby coward for thinking a lot of this is uninteresting and unfun?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That’s how most difficulty/immersion mods look to me so I don’t think it’s just you

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
That's true, and the main reason I don't really like using jsawyer, but you should give stewie a shot and just setup the ini how you want it. A couple of things I usually use it for it to make worn armor weightless and to make wearing power armor stop you from taking fall damage. There's a lot of little nice to haves in there and it's not just for making the game harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Imo, download the INI Tweaks mod and then just pick the ones you like. There's a bunch of good stuff in there, but the VNV writer is antifun in that regard.

also download 'no fall damage' mods and never look back