Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Xelkelvos posted:

If that's the third act twist to that, I might turn around on it a little

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Thinking about the comic book in which Gotham collectively being sick of joker's poo poo just rams him through the system to give him the death penalty only to have batman show up and prove joker is innocent of this 1 specific murder and thus he should be released.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker:_Devil's_Advocate

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 8, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

from last page but Spider-Man doesn't kill his villains because he's so strong and fast that he can pull punches in his fights and win them. he's a much more vulnerable Superman. Batman doesn't have the same luxury, so it's a bigger deal for him as to why he doesn't make his life easier already

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bruce should just build a totally and completely inescapable cell in the Batcave that's completely impossible for the Joker to get out of and keep him there. :colbert:

Too bad he'd only be there for like three issues before the reveal that he has a GPS chip under a fingernail and now all the clowns are planning an attack on the Batcave to free him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mr Hootington posted:

Thinking about the comic book in which Gotham collectively being sick of joker's poo poo just rams him through the system to give him the death penalty only to have batman show up and prove joker is innocent of this 1 specific murder and thus he should be released.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joker:_Devil's_Advocate
This story sounds like it's going to break my brain if I read it so like...........why don't they just try Joker for the crimes that he is guilty of, then?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Vandar posted:

Bruce should just build a totally and completely inescapable cell in the Batcave that's completely impossible for the Joker to get out of and keep him there. :colbert:

Too bad he'd only be there for like three issues before the reveal that he has a GPS chip under a fingernail and now all the clowns are planning an attack on the Batcave to free him.

I was reading some godawful event comic tie in where exactly this happened, except it was Deadshot and some other people with names, and the prison was introduced and broken out of within three pages.

All according to keikau.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BrianWilly posted:

This story sounds like it's going to break my brain if I read it so like...........why don't they just try Joker for the crimes that he is guilty of, then?

The notion was (I think. It's been years since I read it.) Was after a number of trials that became poo poo shows, the Joker and the Justice system just came to this agreement where he pled guilty by reason of Insanity. So it was all fast tracked.

Then after this crime, a new DA decided to make a name for themselves by pushing on trying the Joker as sane and going for the death penalty.
Que the Joker going along with it because he decided he could make it into a spectacle with himself as the centre stage.

It's also an actual good example of a Joker crime that people were asking for.
The Post Office issues stamps commemorating histories great comedians.

Joker robs the Post Office because his face should have been one of the worlds greatest comedians.
Batman shows up and arrests him. Goes to Arkham.

Then people all over the city start being poisoned from using the comedian stamps (and later other stamps.) So naturally the Joker is to blame.

And while the Joker turns out to not be responsible for the poisoning it reads like a Joker crime.
It's motivated by greed and ego. It's fantastical in it's scale but realistic in how it works. And the body count while awful is within the realm of possibility.

It's worlds apart from "and now the Joker builds a wall from sewing together people to creep out Batman."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vandar posted:

Paul Dini describes this exact scenario in his autobiographical Dark Night: A True Batman Story. His endgame idea for Joker was that Batman would seal him in a brick room in the batcave. Batman would have to put up with Joker's running commentary as the price of containing him away from society.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cassa posted:

I was reading some godawful event comic tie in where exactly this happened, except it was Deadshot and some other people with names, and the prison was introduced and broken out of within three pages.

All according to keikau.

Something like this also happened in Dark Knights: Metal, with the Joker in a secret cell under the bat cave.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Damian sort of had the right idea with his secret prison, but he picked the wrong people for it (maybe not Black Mask).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe Kryptonians had it right all along.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Cassa posted:

All according to keikau.

I think that was actually a Batman comic from the beginning of this year.
Because the Batman comics have been weird and somewhat bad recently.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I read DC faithfully from basically infancy through the dawn of my twenties and fell off right around Final Crisis. When I heard Doomsday Clock was a thing I finally decided to play catch-up, and after two and a half years and too many dollars, I have as of this morning finally finished my 13-ish years of catchup and am current.

I regret everything.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CarlCX posted:

I read DC faithfully from basically infancy through the dawn of my twenties and fell off right around Final Crisis. When I heard Doomsday Clock was a thing I finally decided to play catch-up, and after two and a half years and too many dollars, I have as of this morning finally finished my 13-ish years of catchup and am current.

I regret everything.

Somewhat surprised you didn't stop at Identity Crisis or Infinite Crisis.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jiro posted:

Somewhat surprised you didn't stop at Identity Crisis or Infinite Crisis.

Yeah final crisis was at least good.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It wasn't that Final Crisis was the worst and that was the final straw, it's more like when Identity and Infinite started I was still behind the threshold of adulthood so even though they were considerably worse than Final I hadn't yet started worrying about the personal calculus of how I was spending my time. By the time Final was in swing everything had changed AND I was fully Crisis-fatigued.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

¿Que, señor?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

I think that was actually a Batman comic from the beginning of this year.
Because the Batman comics have been weird and somewhat bad recently.

Oh you're absolutely right.

Wanna know how they broke free?
iunnomagic??

Although, it did give us this phenomenal image.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

why not just, make batman poor

im 100% serious. you can rework the villains to be threatening, powerful elements of society, because batman stopping them doesn't even mean they'll go to jail, or arkham, or whatever. maybe the cops will be pissed at batman? who knows!

every resource he spends stopping, say, a mugging or bank robbery, is real, and serious. he doesn't get that poo poo back, realistically, without at least spending Real Effort, and then who knows how many lives not fighting will cost.

he can kill villains or not, and it becomes a constant calculation of whether or not gotham city loving hates this weird rear end batman the cops are looking for that killed My Good Entrepeneur the Penguin or some poo poo

I dunno it's an idea I had tonight, but if there's one way to add stakes and makes Batman's relationships with his villains interesting, it's the idea that Batman has to deal with cost.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also have his parents killed by a crooked cop.

Or I guess just a regular cop.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Turning every hero into Spider-Man won't immediately fix them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cassa posted:

But it's a start.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cassa posted:

Extremely wrong. Imagine if every character was like Spider-Man and had a life and supporting characters? DC has always had a big problem with this, but Marvel is getting worse.

Naming a character who is not a super villain, hero, or love interest is nearly impossible for a lot of characters.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cassa posted:

This vaguely reminds me of how JLA/Avengers #3 was originally going to depict alternate versions of the Marvel and DC universes that were "what if DC characters had been created by Silver Age Marvel" and vice versa. I think Batman was going to be a blind teenager who was clearly an analogue for Spider-Man and Daredevil.

(iirc, Busiek said DC editorial killed the idea because the way the Silver Age DC-ified Marvel heroes were depicted implied DC to be "sillier" than Marvel, which is an implication that DiDio and possibly Levitz were known to be insecure about and hate)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Extremely wrong. Imagine if every character was like Spider-Man and had a life and supporting characters? DC has always had a big problem with this, but Marvel is getting worse.

Naming a character who is not a super villain, hero, or love interest is nearly impossible for a lot of characters.

I do lament we get further and further away from ongoing books for solo characters that would let them breathe and grow and develop supporting casts and a life outside the mask and all that good stuff. The closest we get feels like, I dunno, Ms. Marvel's book maybe.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I do lament we get further and further away from ongoing books for solo characters that would let them breathe and grow and develop supporting casts and a life outside the mask and all that good stuff. The closest we get feels like, I dunno, Ms. Marvel's book maybe.

Now that books like Squirrel Girl and Wasp are over, they are definitely thinning out. Ms Marvel is still one of the best books for it, but I wish we just saw it more.

Ultimately I want a Justice League that feels like people who know each other and not just semi-friendly coworkers.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Cassa posted:

brooding Gothic Spider-Man sounds incredible though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Beamed posted:

brooding Gothic Spider-Man sounds incredible though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lo-7ukx9vI

radlum
May 13, 2013
So I didn't get it at first, but seeing reactions online...was that Otto Binder trying to contact his daughter (who died in an accident) through a seance in Rorschach #1? If so then...that's even worse than a Ditko stand-in being on the comic

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
As E&C pointed out in the discord, that's a transcription of a real seance performed at Otto Binder's house, with a very young Frank Miller in attendance. You can read about it on page 261 of Bill Schelly's Otto Binder biography. I missed that specific reference but the mention of Mark Van Doren really caught me off guard and I had previously read about Otto Binder's interest in the occult and esotericism in some Jeffrey Kripal book many years ago.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

radlum posted:

So I didn't get it at first, but seeing reactions online...was that Otto Binder trying to contact his daughter (who died in an accident) through a seance in Rorschach #1? If so then...that's even worse than a Ditko stand-in being on the comic

Apparently that really happened, but I’m not sure if that makes it better

E: beaten by a minute

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

hup posted:

but I’m not sure if that makes it better

Oh to be sure, it's pretty tacky unless he winds up doing something really really interesting with it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I’ll go to bat for King more often than not, but I’m dreading the reveal that Manhattan didn’t vaporize Kovacs but launched him through time and then he appears at that seance, nude and horrible, posed like Osterman reborn in the cafeteria

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So the after Oklahoma line means that this is set post-tv show rather than post doomsday clock reboot, right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thranguy posted:

So the after Oklahoma line means that this is set post-tv show rather than post doomsday clock reboot, right?

Maybe they're saying the show, or some form of those events, are now canon cause of the universe fuckery or something. I don't think I'd put a show where the writer has a literal Klan member as his self insert character personally, but DC gonna DC.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vince MechMahon posted:

Maybe they're saying the show, or some form of those events, are now canon cause of the universe fuckery or something. I don't think I'd put a show where the writer has a literal Klan member as his self insert character personally, but DC gonna DC.
Well heck, I'll bit if no one else will.

Who was the self-insert character (for Damon Lindelof, I assume?) in Watchmen?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Future State details announced. it's a reworked 5G, alright

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1316741077953466368

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Edit: Beaten above.

I'll grab a trade of it all when it's complete.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://darkknightnews.com/2020/10/...IIB6RMKBFkgoSXU

Holy poo poo NONE of this sounds interesting at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
But hey Red X is there, they're finally capitalizing on the popularity of Teen Titans (2003).