Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i have no idea what A>E means, I just picked that tweet randomly from search results. most of the accounts tweeting about this seem to be #releasethesnydercut types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

obviously it's related in some way to Mr. A

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Art Over Entertainment is what it's short for, respect the artist intentions and the work is sacred etc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
its accountability over entertainment

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Assholes over Elbows, meaning don't skip your burpees

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I though it was Alpacas over Emus, a good way to tell if an exotic petstore is good.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

For someone who enjoyed John’s work when it was new as fun entertainment and the occasional well-crafted story is this a case of him doing something specific, or does he have a track record of being a lovely, mean employer? Or is this something that grew/popped up when he got significant power?

Following monthly comics was one of the biggest mistakes of my 20s both financially and socially.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

For someone who enjoyed John’s work when it was new as fun entertainment and the occasional well-crafted story is this a case of him doing something specific, or does he have a track record of being a lovely, mean employer? Or is this something that grew/popped up when he got significant power?

Following monthly comics was one of the biggest mistakes of my 20s both financially and socially.

We don't really know yet, everything we have is pretty vague.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vince MechMahon posted:

We don't really know yet, everything we have is pretty vague.

I don't think this is ever going to go anywhere if there aren't some specifics from someone. "He was abusive" is in and of itself sufficiently vague enough that people can write it off, much as WB already has. Lots of people in Hollywood are hard-to-work-with assholes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People who are assholes when they are in positions of authority were almost always assholes when they weren’t.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jordan7hm posted:

People who are assholes when they are in positions of authority were almost always assholes when they weren’t.

I mean, yeah. That's a given. I wasn't trying to imply anything otherwise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think this is ever going to go anywhere if there aren't some specifics from someone. "He was abusive" is in and of itself sufficiently vague enough that people can write it off, much as WB already has. Lots of people in Hollywood are hard-to-work-with assholes.

Right now I expect people in the industry are afraid of saying anything for fear of never being hired by DC again.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Dawgstar posted:

Right now I expect people in the industry are afraid of saying anything for fear of never being hired by DC again.

basically we should wait for the trial to happen and some actual accusations to be levied is what you're saying

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KaosMachina posted:

basically we should wait for the trial to happen and some actual accusations to be levied is what you're saying

Accusations have been levied. I was saying why you aren’t currently seeing past or present DC writers stepping forward to corroborate it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ray Fisher has stated at least one story of Johns calling him well after Justice League was finished to gloat to him about how the Cyborg in Doom Patrol isn't being played by him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Ray Fisher has stated at least one story of Johns calling him well after Justice League was finished to gloat to him about how the Cyborg in Doom Patrol isn't being played by him.

Man that is so loving petty.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Back in like 2010-2011, I guess, Geoff Johns was contributing a lot to the final seasons of Smallville, when they were broadening the scope of heroes in that world. If I recall, a lot of the characters being featured were legacy versions of the heroes, like Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle, and I randomly @ed him about how it was a shame that he was including these characters in his TV work but was one of the main architects of replacing them with their old while male counterparts in his comic work. (I think was probably around Flash: Rebirth?) What I thought at the time was a totally fair criticism!

Like five minutes later I, a complete rando, had a nasty DM from him saying that I didn’t know him and that I shouldn’t ever doubt his commitment to writing and introducing POC characters to the public!

I mean, looking at his career, I feel like I stayed correct! He makes a lot of gestures towards representation but a lot of the times that just means “Cyborg is in this!”

But whatever it’s what soured me on Johns! He was personally a dick to me for what I feel was justified criticism of his work! That’s all I have to add; I’m not surprised he is privately very mean and aggressive!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Doesn't this just make them massively vulnerable to lawsuits if they ever manage to successfully publish a comic?

Edit, forgot the tweet
https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt/status/1312162345607548929?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL.

"Hey guys just send finished comics to us, we won't possibly gently caress you over"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

LoL.

"Hey guys just send finished comics to us, we won't possibly gently caress you over"

"Send us all your story ideas, if we ever publish something or somehow, miraculously get a movie deal out of this, there's no chance it will involve an idea we were sent but never paid for."

When JK Rowling was still doing book tours a bunch of fans would try and hand her their fan fiction and there was a guy who's entire job was to make sure Rowling never touched those, because her publisher knew enough to not want to have to deal with a lawsuit because one of the hundreds of thousands of fan fiction writers managed to predict "the hero ends up with the best friend's younger sister who had a crush on him" or whatever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

"Send us all your story ideas, if we ever publish something or somehow, miraculously get a movie deal out of this, there's no chance it will involve an idea we were sent but never paid for."

When JK Rowling was still doing book tours a bunch of fans would try and hand her their fan fiction and there was a guy who's entire job was to make sure Rowling never touched those, because her publisher knew enough to not want to have to deal with a lawsuit because one of the hundreds of thousands of fan fiction writers managed to predict "the hero ends up with the best friend's younger sister who had a crush on him" or whatever.

She should have got a guy to stop people from handing her printed out mumsnet posts instead.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

yeah, I believe DC and Marvel make a point of refusing to accept unsolicited submissions for more or less the same reason, to avoid liability.

In Marvel's case, I think I recall Tom Brevoort mentioning the Thunderbolts/Charcoal debacle as a reason for doing so, though that wasn't quite the same thing (in that case, the issue was a Wizard create-a-character contest where Wizard failed to establish clearly enough that Marvel wholly owned all rights to the winning character)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

In Marvel's case, I think I recall Tom Brevoort mentioning the Thunderbolts/Charcoal debacle as a reason for doing so, though that wasn't quite the same thing (in that case, the issue was a Wizard create-a-character contest where Wizard failed to establish clearly enough that Marvel wholly owned all rights to the winning character)

Speaking of Thunderbolts and contests, wasn't there an issue in which there was (I think) a big fight scene with like 20-30 super obscure villains, and the reader who could name the most of them got ... something?

I know I'm mixed up, because I had it in my head that Charcoal's creator was the winner of that contest, but reading that it was in Wizard, I know I've got to be wrong. But for some reason I could swear there was a fan-created villain in that super obscure lineup thrown in as a stumper.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I know the spread you're talking about. It was the last page of issue #24 and the gotcha villain was from a Hostess Fruit Pie ad.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

I know the spread you're talking about. It was the last page of issue #24 and the gotcha villain was from a Hostess Fruit Pie ad.

Thanks, that's exactly it. And I was more mixed-up than I thought: according to this writeup, "Thunderbolts#24-25 was part of a 'name the first appearances' contest".

Not having recognized Icemaster from the Hostess ads, I would have thought that was Jack Frost because I read every issue of the Dwyer/Lim Captain America about a million times when I was a kid (I read the issues drawn by Rik Levins out of loyalty but they looked pretty bad and didn't get reopened nearly as often)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Not sure what the loving snydercut assholes did but they drove Doc Shaner off twitter.

https://twitter.com/jeffparker/status/1314353818356785152?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DavidMann95/status/1314339319168073732?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Not sure what the loving snydercut assholes did but they drove Doc Shaner off twitter.

Apparently they thought this tweet

https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/1313863272987324422?s=20

Was an attack on the Snyder films

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Imagine defending the artistic vision of a man who hasn’t made a good movie since the Dawn of the Dead remake in the mid 2000s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

Imagine defending the artistic vision of a man who hasn’t made a good movie since the Dawn of the Dead remake in the mid 2000s

I heard good things about the owl cartoon.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

That movie loving sucks.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

I heard good things about the owl cartoon.
You heard incorrectly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doc's original thread is a cornucopia of people falling over themselves to defend Man of Steel when he wasn't even talking about it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RevKrule posted:

He is fine

https://twitter.com/docshaner/status/1314376418785099777?s=21

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Must everything be so dramatic?

https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/1314376418785099777?s=20

I don't see much point in getting angry at people that Doc Shaner himself isn't really that upset with.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Not to mention that Red Eye Superman as a trope predates Synder Superman (Synderman?)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm all for the Snydercut getting done but "I'm just touchy about" is complete bullshit man.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

I'm all for the Snydercut getting done but "I'm just touchy about" is complete bullshit man.

Regardless, it seems to be resolved and an understanding was reached.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I just don't get why people get so upset when people don't like some movie that they like. Get over it and move on. I don't lose my poo poo when I see an article saying Star Trek V is the worst Trek film, even though I enjoy the hell out of it, and it's been 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

I just don't get why people get so upset when people don't like some movie that they like. Get over it and move on. I don't lose my poo poo when I see an article saying Star Trek V is the worst Trek film, even though I enjoy the hell out of it, and it's been 30 years.

Like 20 years ago I was working with this dude and Pearl Jam came on the radio and I said "ugh, Pearl Jam" and he threw down what he was working on and shouted "THANKS FOR loving INSULTING ME" and stormed out of the store.

This dude was also my best friend at the time and this friendship ended in an explosively bad way so this should have been a red flag.