Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I didn't realize how useless Stormfront's powers are in a practical situation. While the lighting seems to have a concussive effect allowing her to toss cars and fly, She's only really effective vs one opponent at a time close up. She couldn't blast everyone with some 'nova' effect in all directions and like Kimikos brother appeared to need her hands free for the lightning to work. I did find it annoying that Annie didn't do some kind of 'energy drain' on her nor did Frenchie get to use his EMP rockets on her, but it doesn't matter because she's just shooting bargain basement force lightning. None of her opponents could fly yet she doesn't take advantage of this except to flee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I guess Annie absorbing her electricity was too simple a solution for the writers.

Automatic Slim posted:

Best case scenario, Stormfront slowly recovers with her super healing.

Worst, she’s a charred amputee for the rest of her long, long life.

Imagine Stormfront with overly long Gecko™ limbs.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 9, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

When I was a kid my parents were concerned because the whole family had basically this blazing Diet Coke habit. Like we would go through two or three 20 can cases a week. There was bags of cans everywhere. Our garage was two bikes, a bbq, and bags of Diet Coke cans. My mom read somewhere “it leeches your bones” so my dad got this idea to “switch the family to Fresca”. We did. For a while. Switch I mean. We drank Fresca and drank a lot less of it, too. It’s good but it’s kind of weird stuff, like you’re purposefully drinking the bargain soda from Costco or something. But sooner or later we got sick of the weird fruitiness and went back to Diet Coke. When we went back we went back hard. I remember dropping a 2L of Diet Coke right on my bare naked toe one morning. God.

I stick to just coffee and water now.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Coca-Cola has some weird Nazi stuff in their past, so I thought maybe Fresca was from there. Looking it up, it was introduced in 1966 and doesn't seem especially interesting. Fanta is the Nazi drink. If the Church of the Collective was offering people Fanta, that may have been too much of a hint to their Nazi origins.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Is the Fresca a supe thing? Like is Goran a super and his power is controlling people through Fresca? Are they just loving with us? Edgar deliberately passing on the Fresca seems like its something...

No, it was an inside joke during production - when the writers were putting together the first encounter between The Deep and Eagle, they were imagining what an alcohol-free cult would drink, and someone suggested Fresca. It stuck.

The scene of Alastair's head blowing up right as he pops open the can... can be read as a meta joke about the insignificance of the drink and the theories the writers anticipated people would have about it, since it was pushed so deliberately over the season. This show is clever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I think Butcher both genuinely doesn't care THAT much for the kid - and definitely doesn't want to raise him - and recognizes he'd be an asset for the CIA

Two episodes ago butcher wanted to kill the kid and then run away with Becca. And in this one wanted to toss the kid at Vought and run away with Becca.

He clearly doesn't care about the kid beyond his promise to keep him safe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

I guess Annie absorbing her electricity was too simple a solution for the writers.

Definitely feels like there was an earlier draft that might have had her sapping Stormfront. Although it did play a major part of a few key scenes, (can't cauterize Hughie's wounds, can't escape from the cell), so maybe all the reminders about how her powers work were for those scenes.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Panfilo posted:

I didn't realize how useless Stormfront's powers are in a practical situation. While the lighting seems to have a concussive effect allowing her to toss cars and fly, She's only really effective vs one opponent at a time close up. She couldn't blast everyone with some 'nova' effect in all directions and like Kimikos brother appeared to need her hands free for the lightning to work. I did find it annoying that Annie didn't do some kind of 'energy drain' on her nor did Frenchie get to use his EMP rockets on her, but it doesn't matter because she's just shooting bargain basement force lightning. None of her opponents could fly yet she doesn't take advantage of this except to flee.

It's like the Nazi goes for what's dramatic and pointlessly cruel instead of figuring out what is actually effective and sticking to that.

Strange, that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

All of you loving nerds complaining about easily explainable details like you're some kind of geniuses at work while you don't scoff at the base concept of a magical serum that grants people the ability expend billions of calories through their powers. Why don't we see Homelander eating hundreds of cheeseburgers per day to supply the energy for his eye lasers?

Because inserting 25 scenes of Maeve traveling is a waste of time and the writers don't need to explain that poo poo because the show is in fact cool as hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The power descriptions that came out called Stormfront's lightning Plasma.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ErrEff posted:

While we won't know much about her until next season, clearly she's done a good job of hiding her abilities so far; we don't know if she was born this way and has managed to stay under the radar or if she came into contact with Compound V in some other way. Her use her lethal powers might catch up with her in the end, though, if she keeps using them to remove her enemies - but the foil/propaganda of "evil supervillains" can last her a good long while, which is exactly why it's such a smart move for her to eliminate her "opposition" in Congress and establish absolute control with her new Office of Supe Affairs.

Yea this is the key unknown, in my book.

Ryan is the only natural born Supe... that we know of :shrug:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fresca is like bad Sprite.

People mix it with tequila in my country, that might be the reason it hasn't gone extinct, considering is not a quite popular soda for non-drunkards.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Somebody already posted a translation of the Stormfront-poem. I watched the whole Epsiode in german, so to me it came across as her reciting something from her very far past, maybe something she had to learn in school, over and over and my takeaway is that she survived the blasting, but from now on suffers from severe brain damage.

To me it made perfect sense that Butcher handed Ryan over to the CIA to get him off the grid. They have a better chance at hiding him than one desperate father on his own. And Ryans safety is his top priority in the end.
Also, there seems plenty of big evil options around for season 3. Homelander snapping would be the most obvious. Nobody knows the agenda of head-popping minister. Or the Church could be out for some crusade-style revenge (which would be great as it would provide us with more Deep).

Also let me be the first to confess that i loved Frenchie and Kimiko just going dancing for celebration :3:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Looking through the episode again, it's great how The Deep constantly gets shafted.

He was on track to being put back onto The Seven (Stormfront's rampant racism meant that A-Train was a big no) but then A-Train steals the Church documents on Stormfront and sneaks them to Starlight and Hughie. With Stormfront's public image destroyed, A-Train jumps ahead in the queue and The Deep loses his chance.

At least The Deep had a shred of self-worth left, enough to ditch the Church after that, so he's possibly gonna reconnect with Eagle in the next season, both being disillusioned cult members. The Church might still become a B-plot, they could bring Carol back as the new leader. Perhaps out for revenge, or maybe she's glad to be rid of him. I'm gonna guess that the Church will cover up Alastair's death and it won't be public knowledge how he died, so it won't be tied to the hearing massacre.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 9, 2020

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

All of you loving nerds complaining about easily explainable details like you're some kind of geniuses at work while you don't scoff at the base concept of a magical serum that grants people the ability expend billions of calories through their powers. Why don't we see Homelander eating hundreds of cheeseburgers per day to supply the energy for his eye lasers?

Because inserting 25 scenes of Maeve traveling is a waste of time and the writers don't need to explain that poo poo because the show is in fact cool as hell.

This 100%

SHOW owns

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HppyCmpr posted:

I've also never heard of Fresca but I'm all the way at the bottom of the world.

One more thought since other Goons raised some points about it.

Regarding Ryan's ending as well, I sort of assumed Butcher left him in the care of Mallory more than the CIA itself since she lost her grandchildren and she seemed to generally care about Butcher and his wife. Which arguably is much better than staying with Butcher or going into some kind of orphanage.

If you're curious what will happen to Ryan with the loving CIA's claws in him, imagine Arby from Utopia with laser eyes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Spoilering this just in case people didn't get this far in the Boys mod of Dwarf Fortress:

Alistair: What rumors have you heard?
Rep. Victoria Von Neumann: Your eminence, I have heard plans to assassinate the High Patriarch of the Church of the Collective.
Alistair: Tell me more.
Victoria Von Neumann reveals herself as Vic the Veep, the head popper!
Vic the Veep seizes Alistair's head with psychotelepathic powers!
Vic the Veep seizes Alistair's head, pulping it!
Victoria Von Neumann: They say a supe plots the High Patriarch's death.
Alistair: I must leave.
300ml of Fresca spills on the floor, dealing 3 acid damage!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh, forgot to mention this and I'm sure others have too: huge missed opportunity with the url at the beginning.

Oh and Annie should have been able to absorb Stormfront's electricity. I was pretty mad about that. We all called it and they threw it away to make the fight more "interesting". Shameful.

Actually the scene of the three of them kicking the poo poo out of a literal nazi owned and was exactly what I needed to see in 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Girls Get it Done!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Some good moments I didn't see or didn't see too much mention of:

Homelander's quote. "I will kill everyone and everything." I expected him to do the usual with "everyone and everything you love", but no - "everyone and everything", period. He's threatening to just wipe the planet if he can't get admiration.

Starlight back in her original costume.

"People love the things I say, they just hate the word 'Nazi'" was one of the best descriptions of current attitudes I've heard.

Doesn't Starlight need a power source to absorb from? Last time she was in a wide open field, she couldn't heal Hughie. She could have been feeding off of Stormfront's bolts after all, but she's got some kind of cap on her power output so it didn't just turn it into a one-sided fight like everyone was hoping.

The part in the beginning where Flag Pin Guy (I forget his name) was saying V would be given to first responders first was oddly specific to plans for a COVID vaccine. I don't how closely the finale was filmed to the pandemic, so it could have been a coincidence as that's probably the first step to most national emergency plans, but it stuck out to me.

Bedshaped posted:

The lightning is weird in that it just... moves things around?? Otherwise the 3 nonsoups seem pretty okay for getting hit by 1.21 jiggawatts

It does seem strange. Her electricity seems to be more of like the gravity gun from Half-Life 2. I can't remember, does it ever directly kill anyone? She uses it to throw people into walls, which kills them, but I think she just uses it to wear them down and use super-strength for the kill. I'm not going to think too hard about it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The best line of the episode: Space spores

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Also I think what this episode shows is that Homelander is way, way, way more powerful than any other Supe.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Honestly the fakest part of the ep to me was the cult of personality around Stormfront seeming to instantly turn on her once she was outed as an actual, factual Nazi.

Maybe recent events make me a cynic but I think they'd mostly just double down and rationalize. I guess her getting her rear end kicked and maimed beyond recognition makes it a moot point but still.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honestly the fakest part of the ep to me was the cult of personality around Stormfront seeming to instantly turn on her once she was outed as an actual, factual Nazi.

Maybe recent events make me a cynic but I think they'd mostly just double down and rationalize. I guess her getting her rear end kicked and maimed beyond recognition makes it a moot point but still.

It was mostly people on the news and in positions of authority who turned against her - which is realistic. I am sure that a good chunk of her alt right fanbase would be nodding and going "great".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Honestly, the scariest thing about HL's "self-indulgent" ending this season is that I think what he was really talking about was "I'll just have/make more kids."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly, the scariest thing about HL's "self-indulgent" ending this season is that I think what he was really talking about was "I'll just have/make more kids."

That's concerning, I hadn't thought of that.

But surely he couldn't have only banged 1 woman 1 time his entire life, it's probably not easy as "just go have sex again"? I recall HL saying something to the effect of, "You told me I was shooting blanks" but I forget who he said that to. Daddy Scientist Guy?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do we need to be spoilering episode stuff, it aired.

Anyone reading the thread and getting spoiled has nobody to blame but themselves at this point

Azhais fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 9, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I agree it seems kinda silly at this point, but everyone else is so :shrug:

Particularly annoying on mobile when people use 5 different spoiler tags in one post, I don't wanna tap all that poo poo :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Girls Get it Done!

I really wish they didn't have Frenchie say that. It was already super obvious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Azhais posted:

Do we need to be spoilering episode stuff, it aired.

I generally like to use the spoiler tag for 24-48h after airing time simply because most people can't budget the time to watch it just as it airs because they've got to work the next day, but those people are also probably going to keep from checking out this thread to avoid having the episode spoiled for them so... :shrug:.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Romes128 posted:

CIA lady was working on the Stormfront > Liberty connection. Remember Mallory gave the Boys the poster of Liberty with that ladys address on it she found from CIA lady, and the lady told them the story of her brother being killed by Stormfront/Liberty.

Obviously Vought wouldn't want that connection public.

And when the cult leader confirmed that the information on Stormfront came from them and that they had damning intel on a dozen other supes, AOC killed him

Also, a staffer called AOC "Vic" at the end and the comics did have "Vic the Veep". Same name, but a very different character, while still being (possibly) "Vought's man" - if you believe Homelander that the Edgar was mastermind behind the headpopping attack.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

I really wish they didn't have Frenchie say that. It was already super obvious.

I'm glad they did because its the kind of awesome corny poo poo that made the scene more fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

This kind of poo poo keeps our entire planet stupid and makes it stupider every day.

Aside from Compound V, literally every single other thing in this show is heavily grounded in modern reality. Intentionally. The fact that this show is set in our modern world where everything is run by billionaires, mega corps, twitter trends, and all the other hellish poo poo we all really live in every day is what makes this show so uncomfortable to watch and it's what makes it so special. The ONLY thing in this show different from the real world that we actually live in is Compound V. And even the supes are exaggerated stand-ins for ideologies.

The fact that supes exist does not make it ok to magically teleport Deep from Ohio to NY in the span of 30 minutes for a gross whale joke. And that's just once example. The showrunners are smarter than this and can do better.

Nobody is asking for 25 scenes of Maeve jogging down a road, just a couple quick scenes of her super jumping over the trees to show she was on her way instead of using her as Deus Ex Machina for like the 3rd time this season.

"Durr hurr turn your brain off and eat popcorn" is the laziest defense of things that aren't worth defending.

Moola posted:

Actually the scene of the three of them kicking the poo poo out of a literal nazi owned and was exactly what I needed to see in 2020

I agree it was awesome but it could have been done better. Starlight could have slurped up electricity, kept SF from fleeing or fighting at all, and THEN they all could have torn her apart instead of letting it happen with Ryan. It could have been way more satisfying than them just kicking her on the ground for a while and then her flying off. But they needed Becca to die ( :( ) and they wanted Ryan to try to save Becca from SF and blast them both so that's what we got.

It's a shame too because this was an awesome season and that finale was a fuckin BANGER.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I don't need 25 scenes of Maeve travelling but if you want a dramatic moment in a fight sequence to be a character's surprise appearance then best to find a location for your fight that isn't a vast open field.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

This kind of poo poo keeps our entire planet stupid and makes it stupider every day.

Aside from Compound V, literally every single other thing in this show is heavily grounded in modern reality. Intentionally. The fact that this show is set in our modern world where everything is run by billionaires, mega corps, twitter trends, and all the other hellish poo poo we all really live in every day is what makes this show so uncomfortable to watch and it's what makes it so special. The ONLY thing in this show different from the real world that we actually live in is Compound V. And even the supes are exaggerated stand-ins for ideologies.

The fact that supes exist does not make it ok to magically teleport Deep from Ohio to NY in the span of 30 minutes for a gross whale joke. And that's just once example. The showrunners are smarter than this and can do better.

Nobody is asking for 25 scenes of Maeve jogging down a road, just a couple quick scenes of her super jumping over the trees to show she was on her way instead of using her as Deus Ex Machina for like the 3rd time this season.

"Durr hurr turn your brain off and eat popcorn" is the laziest defense of things that aren't worth defending.

I agree it was awesome but it could have been done better. Starlight could have slurped up electricity, kept SF from fleeing or fighting at all, and THEN they all could have torn her apart instead of letting it happen with Ryan. It could have been way more satisfying than them just kicking her on the ground for a while and then her flying off. But they needed Becca to die ( :( ) and they wanted Ryan to try to save Becca from SF and blast them both so that's what we got.

It's a shame too because this was an awesome season and that finale was a fuckin BANGER.

There's a system of Great Lakes and that old Erie Canal linking Ohio and New York, and furthermore he could have just gotten in a private plane provided by The Church of the Collective, and you don't that it was only 30 minutes.

I mean, people don't explode with such over the top gore in real life, and you don't hear anyone complaining about that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This hasn't been addressed much on the show but the impression I got was that Supes are generally considered infertile, as a side-effect of Compound V, therefore Becca's pregnancy was a surprise. Either that or it's only Homelander that's infertile - when he speaks with Vogelbaum it's not made clear.

We know Transluscent and Mesmer had kids, but are they adopted or blood relatives - or perhaps they're just kids without powers? Who knows. If all Supes everywhere can both have kids and pass their powers on, you'd think the show would've made that clear at this point. There would be second- and third-generation Supes out there.

There's also the 'College For Young Supes' spin-off show that's in production now - imagine loads of horny Supe teens getting it on and what the consequences of that are if they're not infertile.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
We also know Stormfront had a daughter

Tho I guess we don't actually know if she got pregnant pre or post V-ing

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it actually suppose to be pronounced “Compound Vee” and not “Compound Five?”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Azhais posted:

We also know Stormfront had a daughter

Tho I guess we don't actually know if she got pregnant pre or post V-ing

I think we do? she was Vought’s experiment before she was his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it actually suppose to be pronounced “Compound Vee” and not “Compound Five?”

I assume it's V for Vought