Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Data Graham posted:

"peperony and chease" serves the same purpose as "F" for memers of a certain age

Honestly the first time I ever felt old was when I saw someone not get that this was a reference to those Tombstone Pizza ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Honestly the first time I ever felt old was when I saw someone not get that this was a reference to those Tombstone Pizza ads.

It took me a while, but because I'm dumb rather than not being old.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I know this is nothing to do with what you're talking about but you made me remember the Pizza Tomb:

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/830145270902038530?lang=en

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Freudian posted:

I know this is nothing to do with what you're talking about but you made me remember the Pizza Tomb:

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/830145270902038530?lang=en

I cannot even visualize how this would work.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KnifeWrench posted:

If you're keeping a list of the reasons that random internet women would refuse to date you then go ahead and add "Could not figure out the riddle of the Pizza Tomb" on there

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you're keeping a list of the reasons that random internet women would refuse to date you then go ahead and add "Could not figure out the riddle of the Pizza Tomb" on there

BRB changing my will to insist that "Could not figure out the riddle of the Pizza Tomb" appear on my grave marker.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm only going if they seed random tables with skeletons with half-finished pizza tombs on their heads

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*twiddles comically-large handlebar mustache* To go out-a with me, you must-a answer these pizza riddles three

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

KnifeWrench posted:

Think of a dog cone on a human, but mouth height. Build a platform on the edge, so as to support a donut-shaped pizza. Place said donut-shaped pizza on the platform and inform the wearer that they'll die in the cone if they don't eat the whole pizza

The cone is an inverted pyramid shape but aside from that, that's my understanding of Pizza Tomb.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Plastik posted:

Think of a dog cone on a human, but mouth height. Build a platform on the edge, so as to support a donut-shaped pizza. Place said donut-shaped pizza on the platform and inform the wearer that they'll die in the cone if they don't eat the whole pizza

The cone is an inverted pyramid shape but aside from that, that's my understanding of Pizza Tomb.

That doesn't seem very "atop the customer's head." And if the pyramid is inverted, it doesn't really evoke a tomb anymore.

But it does make more sense, thanks.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

except the eye pyramid is pizza

it's a shell around your head

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Is this the origin story for Pyramid Head

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BRB changing my will to insist that "Could not figure out the riddle of the Pizza Tomb" appear on my grave marker.

Here lies Vincent, they never scored, they couldn't figure etc

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Pizza Tomb sounds like what the Discourse Chef’s finishing move would be in a fighting game

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
For the love of god, Papa John!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/mywheelhouseftw/status/1313236001670623232

I know he's got a long face but why did Barnacle Jim become such a meme or whatever? For a long time I thought he was someone who was actively disliked

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its cause his face is so fuckin long

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Alaois posted:

its cause his face is so fuckin long

Great thanks

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think he just posted in a subforum (FYAD?) where active contempt was the standard forums tone. The roast-offs between Infrateal and Heebie-GBS that frequently resurface in the Funny Quotes thread were the gold standard of a specific posting culture, wherein digging on his long face also neatly fit.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

he never flipped the gently caress out about the long face comments, nor did he let his minor celebrity go to his head, and those are the main ways that forums notoriety goes bad

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ulvir posted:

this is gonna sound odd, but i’m not from any of the anglophones, so hear me out.

what on earth does that “showing your whole rear end” thing that people love shouting at each other in QCS these past few months mean? at first I thought it was something like looking like an idiot, like the trousers fell down or something, but then there’s the “whole” bit, which makes me think it’s looking like an idiot on purpose? but this gets thrown around in arguments, so then I get kinda confused

Data Graham posted:

As a native English speaker let me assure the non-native English speakers itt that it's super weird for us too, we're just rolling with it

It's a Southern thing- I think an AAVE thing, or at least lower-class. And yes, the general idea is "you do not realize it, but you are making a fool of yourself to a catastrophic level." The "whole" part is just emphasis; I used to encounter the phrase as "you're showing your rear end."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Does someone know what thread the "Experience Bij" gang tag is from?

I know the phrase is a reference to Star Trek: The Next Generation: Interactive VCR Board Game: A Klingon Challenge, a low-budget Milton Bradley game where a klingon dude named Kavok steals the Enterprise while everyone on the crew is off-ship for maintenance, with only 2-4 low-ranking officers aboard. This is obviously a convenient plot device to get all the shooting done on the TNG sets during the off-season, but without any of the actual actors from the show. Anyways Kavok shouts "EXPERIENCE BIJ!!" at you a lot ("bij" is the klingon word for "challenge" or something, and when he yells that at you, you have to draw a bij card and potentially get hosed). I've played it once, and that phrase is burned into my brain.

So was there like a thread about the game somewhere, or did the tag just come from the general TVIV trek thread?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Holy poo poo I remember that board game. I'm on mobile so I don't even know it's a tag.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DontMockMySmock posted:

So was there like a thread about the game somewhere, or did the tag just come from the general TVIV trek thread?

Nah they got handed out in the TVIV thread for current Trek shows

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Does someone know what thread the "Experience Bij" gang tag is from?

I know the phrase is a reference to Star Trek: The Next Generation: Interactive VCR Board Game: A Klingon Challenge, a low-budget Milton Bradley game where a klingon dude named Kavok steals the Enterprise while everyone on the crew is off-ship for maintenance, with only 2-4 low-ranking officers aboard. This is obviously a convenient plot device to get all the shooting done on the TNG sets during the off-season, but without any of the actual actors from the show. Anyways Kavok shouts "EXPERIENCE BIJ!!" at you a lot ("bij" is the klingon word for "challenge" or something, and when he yells that at you, you have to draw a bij card and potentially get hosed). I've played it once, and that phrase is burned into my brain.

I think the tag comes from the Modern Star Trek thread, but pretty much every Star Trek thread overlaps and the "Experience Bij" thing comes from someone posting about the boardgame in one of the threads and it became something of an in-joke for those threads.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah they got handed out in the TVIV thread for current Trek shows

It's this.

The source of all Bij

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’d like to experience bj

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Is it possible to experience Bij while getting a BJ?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

I’d like to experience bj

i have had whoper

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Can you give yourself an Onion Offense™?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bony tony posted:

Only after I've been thrice chastened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bony tony posted:

Only if you're an Australian taken to an Outback Steakhouse.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is it possible to experience Bij while getting a BJ?

Give them an uppercut.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Only if you're an Australian taken to an Outback Steakhouse.

I went with some friends including one from Australia to an Outback years ago and the waitress gave us really lovely brusque service for the first half of the meal, until apparently someone took her aside and said my friend wasn't putting on a fake Australian accent to make fun of her, he was actually from there :v:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I had the opposite experience where a guy a friend was dating thought he was being really funny by doing an atrocious Aussie accent, and it was exhausting and terrible for everyone involved.

So I completely understand your waitress.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The waiter at outback did not seem to appreciate me snickering about the Chocolate Thunder From Down Under dessert

The next time we tried to go, they had closed

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Last time I went to Outback everything was badly overcooked and still somehow made it to the table cold. I don't know why people go to Outback or why this derail is happening, but I really hope this helps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phy posted:

The next time we tried to go, they had closed

Seems like an overreaction, to me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've seen outback steakhouses everywhere but never been in one. If they actually try to speak in an australian accent then that explains this joke from The Good Place

For those who haven't seen it, it's an American themed restaurant in Australia and the hostess greets you with a really bad fake southern accent. The menu's funny as hell too. Also go watch the Good Place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've seen outback steakhouses everywhere but never been in one. If they actually try to speak in an australian accent then that explains this joke from The Good Place

They don't.

LOL, does "stuff yourself" have the "gently caress yourself" connotation in Australian?