Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Azhais posted:

Do we need to be spoilering episode stuff, it aired.

Anyone reading the thread and getting spoiled has nobody to blame but themselves at this point

Yeah, I absolutely do not come read this thread until I've caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maeve getting fast-travel powers didn't bother me.

Her showing up at the last possible second to save the day TWICE bothered me a little bit. I can see why they had to do it though. It was super badass against Stormfront, and it had to happen with Homelander because the scenes of Homelander watching Stormfront basically die in front of him and then having Ryan betray him for Butcher, someone he barely knows, had to happen before he gets blackmailed.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
How would Maeve even know where they were? Annie didn't have her tracker anymore. I guess she was following her the whole time? Maeve's Mini Cooper is parked just off screen at the edge of the woods.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Romes128 posted:

How would Maeve even know where they were? Annie didn't have her tracker anymore. I guess she was following her the whole time? Maeve's Mini Cooper is parked just off screen at the edge of the woods.

I imagine Ryan's eye blast could be seen/heard for miles, Maeve was just the fastest one to get there after Homelander.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CODChimera posted:

Maybe Stormfront will become Black Noir 2.0?

Black Noirette

White Blanc

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

I imagine Ryan's eye blast could be seen/heard for miles, Maeve was just the fastest one to get there after Homelander.

I mean the initial confrontation with Stormfront where she just pops up outta nowhere. But I'm just joking tho, it doesn't bother me at all.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And when the cult leader confirmed that the information on Stormfront came from them and that they had damning intel on a dozen other supes, AOC killed him

Also, a staffer called AOC "Vic" at the end and the comics did have "Vic the Veep". Same name, but a very different character, while still being (possibly) "Vought's man" - if you believe Homelander that the Edgar was mastermind behind the headpopping attack.

Vic "The Veep" shares the same last name Neuman in the comics so yeah.

Somewhat of a weird one since shes an AOC expy and Vic was an idiot George W expy. Might as well have not bothered with the reference.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 9, 2020

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Maeve: Where could Stormfront have run off to? gently caress! This will take forever!

(An Akira-style laser burst happens in the distance)

Maeve: We may never know :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fridging doesn't mean "female character killed". In fact since Becca's death already served as motivation for Butcher she cannot be fridged, it's double jeopardy.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nobody is asking for 25 scenes of Maeve jogging down a road, just a couple quick scenes of her super jumping over the trees to show she was on her way instead of using her as Deus Ex Machina for like the 3rd time this season.

Why? We know she can, so why do you have to see it?

Deus ex machina does not mean "happens suddenly." A character who has been established over the entire season having second thoughts, shown organizing a coup, and was spoken to earlier in the loving episode about becoming an ally is not a deus ex machina.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

boo_radley posted:

Maeve: Where could Stormfront have run off to? gently caress! This will take forever!

(An Akira-style laser burst happens in the distance)

Maeve: We may never know :(

The laser blast occurred after she got there. She was clearly just Conan-running chasing Stormfront around

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

AOC is much better than Vic the Veep

Vic the Veep is just awful

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Aphrodite posted:

Fridging doesn't mean "female character killed". In fact since Becca's death already served as motivation for Butcher she cannot be fridged, it's double jeopardy.

Why? We know she can, so why do you have to see it?

Deus ex machina does not mean "happens suddenly." A character who has been established over the entire season having second thoughts, shown organizing a coup, and was spoken to earlier in the loving episode about becoming an ally is not a deus ex machina.

Maybe you know it from external sources but to me Maeve doesn’t seem like she has any powers other than super strength.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Alchenar posted:

I don't need 25 scenes of Maeve travelling but if you want a dramatic moment in a fight sequence to be a character's surprise appearance then best to find a location for your fight that isn't a vast open field.
It looks like they avoided showing vfx whenever they could, which is a good way to avoid the "tv budget sfx" issue. A-Train is not sprinting away anywhere, Homeboy's big bang attack happens off screen, Maeve presumably lands behind Stormfront off screen too. In all these scenes of course there are other reasons not to show the sfx, too, but I guess they wanted to conserve their budget/sense of awe for a few specific moments in the series.

massive spider posted:

I just realised that Victoria Neuman is a gender swap of Vic "The Veep" Neuman form the comics. Somewhat of a weird one since shes an AOC expy and Vic was a George W expy.
Vic the Veep is dumb and can be manipulated so he becomes Vought's unknowing pawn; show-Vic is instead working directly with them to, I presume, the same end result: having someone to do Vought's bidding in a position of power, maybe even the presidency one day.

Also, this is THE scene equivalent in the comics

As with everything else, I would say the series one is superior even if it's missing Vas.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Before anyone asks, the baseball bats are also on compound V

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm slow, so I just realized that Stormy could have easily been some slick Ben Shapiro/Richard Spencer type. The gender switch really was a smart touch.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Did anyone translate what Stormfront was saying?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe you know it from external sources but to me Maeve doesn’t seem like she has any powers other than super strength.

We see her super jump and run across the side of a building in the very first episode. It's her introduction.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FogHelmut posted:

There's a system of Great Lakes and that old Erie Canal linking Ohio and New York, and furthermore he could have just gotten in a private plane provided by The Church of the Collective, and you don't that it was only 30 minutes.

I mean, people don't explode with such over the top gore in real life, and you don't hear anyone complaining about that.

You know what shows need more of? Logistics.

Everyone loves logistics. Maybe some accountancy, too.

Romes128 posted:

How would Maeve even know where they were?

I'm guessing Butcher screaming out for help?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 9, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azhais posted:

The laser blast occurred after she got there. She was clearly just Conan-running chasing Stormfront around

?? It occurred before she arrived.

Durzel posted:

Did anyone translate what Stormfront was saying?

BurritoJustice posted:

Stormfront's last lines, translated from here

"It was so beautiful. How the three of us sat there, in the shade of an apple tree.

Do you remember the day Frederick? Chloe's arms out of the car window. We found the perfect spot by the river, in the shade of an apple tree. It was the first time Chloe ate fresh apples."

"... was so happy. It was wonderful. I wanted it to never end."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Literally this.

Unfortunately, when a season/episode is this high quality, the trolls and the contrarians have to go VERY low quality :smith:

So why is everyone calling Vic AOC? Woman of color congress person from New Yawk? I like the Vic character and love the real life AOC so not being a hater here, just curious if there's more of a connection than job, gender and skin color.

I'm sorta getting flashbacks to the pre-season 2 worries I had about how they would play Stormfront. If Vic the CP is going to be a "Ah ha! AoC is basically the same as the bad people and is on the Amazon payroll!!" that will be stupid centrist nonsense

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Romes128 posted:

I mean the initial confrontation with Stormfront where she just pops up outta nowhere. But I'm just joking tho, it doesn't bother me at all.

Like you edited out the rest of my quote where I talked about Annie's tracker. I know Butcher and Ryan were close to where they had the Stormfront fight. I was just asking how Maeve knew where Annie and the Boys were when she dropped in to fight Stormfront.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 9, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was a pretty massive explosion in the area.

But yes, she had to have been in the area already. She wouldn't have noticed it from NYC.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 9, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Maeve's curiosity was insanely piqued and she was showing signs of the Gen X façade cracking when Starlight and Hughie visited her. No doubt she just tailed them after they left and revealed herself when she decided to throw in with 'em

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually on second thought she probably followed Stormfront.

Stormfront returns to the Tower after the nazi stuff goes public, and we see Maeve in that scene.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ That could work.

Romes128 posted:

Like you edited out the rest of my quote where I talked about Annie's tracker. I know Butcher and Ryan were close to where they had the Stormfront fight. I was just asking how Maeve knew where Annie and the Boys were when she dropped in to fight Stormfront.

Right, sorry, I was focusing on the ongoing discussion about Meave turning up at the second site and forgot the other ongoing discussion about Maeve turning up at the first site. My bad.

And, yeah, you did actually make a good point about her turning up. I really don't have an answer for how she found out where poo poo was going down. Maybe she knew of Homelander's gently caress cabin or threatened a tech, which seems to a popular pastime at Vought.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maeve: “hey kraut” :clint:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Actually on second thought she probably followed Stormfront.

Stormfront returns to the Tower after the nazi stuff goes public, and we see Maeve in that scene.

Yeah it's this. She followed SF.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

?? It occurred before she arrived.

Are we taking about Maeve ex Machina part one or part two

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ruddiger posted:

Maeve: “hey kraut” :clint:

This is the reason why they don't show us Maeve sprinting, long jumping, harassing a tech, or skulking through the bushes.

"Hey Kraut" delivered by an off-screen voice and surprising us with an effective punch to SF's face relied on Maeve's recent activities being unknown. Similar techniques are often used in film and television to excite the audience

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azhais posted:

Are we taking about Maeve ex Machina part one or part two

Part one: She followed Stormfront

Part two: She followed Stormfront again / she saw the giant laser beam in the sky / heard Butcher calling for help

e: just rewatched the scene to make sure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 9, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maeve's true super power is super timing.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maeve's true super power is super timing.

She can tiptoe at super speed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We don't know for a fact that it makes the skeleton xylophone sound effect, but we can assume

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We don't know for a fact that it makes the skeleton xylophone sound effect, but we can assume

There's slide whistle noises when she jumps

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Literally this.

Unfortunately, when a season/episode is this high quality, the trolls and the contrarians have to go VERY low quality :smith:

So why is everyone calling Vic AOC? Woman of color congress person from New Yawk? I like the Vic character and love the real life AOC so not being a hater here, just curious if there's more of a connection than job, gender and skin color.

Homelander makes a dig at her having a viral video of her dancing online so its pretty blatant.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah she's following SF, also the context is from the conversation earlier in the episode she knows that the Nazi relevations must mean its Starlight making a play. Season 1 establishes that she does see Starlight as the young not-crushed version of herself so entirely reasonable she goes to help.

If I do have a criticism of season 2, it's that the screen time spend on Maeve/Deep/A-Train's arcs is cut to the absolute bone. It works, but it's a fine line.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's those, plus her age, apparent persona, and the most direct giveaway: when Homelander greets her, he applauds her "walk like an Egyptian dance on Youtube."

Some GOP detractor tried to embarrass AOC by leaking a video of her dancing in college, and she laughed at him and posted a new video of herself dancing in her Congressional office.

Edit beaten like Stormfront

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

massive spider posted:

I just assume Maeve does the wonder woman super run thing where she runs like a speeding car.

Homelander makes a dig at her having a viral video of her dancing online so its pretty blatant.

Yeah then I am extra concerned that her S3 arc is going to be dumb. They managed to ground Stormfront in reality while also gender swapping & casting a Jewish actor so I have faith. Just... concern

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I can't belive Maev found HL and Stormfront without a 30 minute scene of her traveling

I hope someone got fired for that blunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

bou posted:

Somebody already posted a translation of the Stormfront-poem. I watched the whole Epsiode in german, so to me it came across as her reciting something from her very far past, maybe something she had to learn in school, over and over and my takeaway is that she survived the blasting, but from now on suffers from severe brain damage.

Based on the translation I'm pretty sure she was hallucinating due to... everything and was on death's door. She thought she was taking to Fredrick Vought and she's saying her favorite day is when they took their daughter to try apples for the first time.