Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ElegantFugue posted:

Have you tried the App? Any idea if it provides a solid sample of gameplay?

Yeah I mentioned it in the boardgame thread.

Infinitum posted:

There's a Cartographers app for mobile. I have it, and I feel it pretty much sucks the soul out of it.

Like... it does what it says on the box, but there's just something personal about physically drawing cards or rolling dice and then drawing in the result.

It's fine. I don't play it, and I don't foresee a scenario where I'd go "Gee I'd really like to play a few more rounds of Cartographers via an app rather than just starting a new one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Finally got tracking info for my Mayday Crokinole board :slick:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like I wont have to print out english fan translations after all; Sakura Arms got a new publisher and is going to release all the expansions on kickstarter

https://mailchi.mp/level99games/coming-soon-from-level-99-sakura-arms

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
grimpunk

They have a beta at least??

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Lost me at yet another stupid *punk coinage.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Freeform chargen with merits and flaws? A sanity meter? The '90's are back, folks!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Freeform chargen with merits and flaws? A sanity meter? The '90's are back, folks!

No, this is clearly a more modern game.

You can tell because the core system builds off of D&D 3e. Roll 4d6k3 to generate STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, and CHA!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ebaraf/herbaceous-pocket-edition

I'm a sucker for a small edition. Herbaceous is great. Can't say I'm entirely sure about this, though, as the game can already just be reduced to a deck of cards and I'm not sure making the cards smaller but still making space to include the dividers is necessary.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Quixotic1 posted:

Looks like I wont have to print out english fan translations after all; Sakura Arms got a new publisher and is going to release all the expansions on kickstarter

https://mailchi.mp/level99games/coming-soon-from-level-99-sakura-arms

This has me unreasonably excited. I'm a big fan of this game and was disappointed that AEG didn't keep up with it.

Best news in weeks, haha.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Worlds Without Number kickstarter is live now

pretty excited for more sine nomine style tables and world building tools, plus an attached system that i might be mostly happy with

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rathskellers have launched a Kickstarter for their modular gaming tables.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rathskellers/sunnygeeks-modular-gaming-dining-rpg-table/description

I'm not in the market to drop €1000 on a table, but I've seen Rathskellers stuff up close and personal and it's good.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Jedit posted:

Rathskellers have launched a Kickstarter for their modular gaming tables.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rathskellers/sunnygeeks-modular-gaming-dining-rpg-table/description

I'm not in the market to drop €1000 on a table, but I've seen Rathskellers stuff up close and personal and it's good.

I'm going to assume that this is same Rathskellers that goons get drunk at before Gencon every year. I will not be checking to confirm this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Haystack posted:

I'm going to assume that this is same Rathskellers that goons get drunk at before Gencon every year. I will not be checking to confirm this.

Oh, probably. At Spiel they usually have a combined stand for displaying tables and selling beer.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's nice that they're diversifying, the restaurant, theater, and gym can't be doing very well in the pandemic.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Somebody wake up Infinitum its Cartographers Heroes day!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cartographersheroes/cartographers-heroes-3-map-pack-expansions?ref=ksr_email_backer_backer_confirmation

It's a great game, and now there will be a ton of variety and a collectors box.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Very tempted to go all in, although I'm not sure I'll get much use out of the base game stuff since the Heroes standalone looks more complex and interesting to me.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Really not sure I want (as someone potentially new to Cartographers) to spend $90 on a pad game. Feel like I did that with Welcome To and the novelty on that wore off after about 3 plays...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Suddenly Susan posted:

Somebody wake up Infinitum its Cartographers Heroes day!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cartographersheroes/cartographers-heroes-3-map-pack-expansions?ref=ksr_email_backer_backer_confirmation

It's a great game, and now there will be a ton of variety and a collectors box.

Y'all best believe I'm in on the Legendary Pledge
(As soon as I double check I can afford it leading up to PS5 launch :v:)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Really not sure I want (as someone potentially new to Cartographers) to spend $90 on a pad game. Feel like I did that with Welcome To and the novelty on that wore off after about 3 plays...

Welcome To is a worse game than Cartographers in every way except theme (because fantasy is overdone). It ends more unpredictably, with less interactivity between players, fewer interesting decisions, and less potential to embellish your sheet. Cartographers is good, but absolutely not $90-good for somebody new to it unless $90 is too small an amount to even register in your budget.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Woof, didn’t expect that price. Gonna have to think real hard now.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Note that you should probably skip the $90 pledge unless you really want a playmat. You can get everything else for $72. or you could just get the $50 collector's pledge and add on the first skill pack and get the original game later at retail.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

malkav11 posted:

Note that you should probably skip the $90 pledge unless you really want a playmat. You can get everything else for $72. or you could just get the $50 collector's pledge and add on the first skill pack and get the original game later at retail.

On that note, if anyone has the base game but not the skills and ambush promos, I was accidentally sent two copies of those. I'd be happy to send the spare copy along to a goon in need.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

homullus posted:

Welcome To is a worse game than Cartographers in every way except theme (because fantasy is overdone). It ends more unpredictably, with less interactivity between players, fewer interesting decisions, and less potential to embellish your sheet. Cartographers is good, but absolutely not $90-good for somebody new to it unless $90 is too small an amount to even register in your budget.

Though I don't disagree with your points, I found Welcome To.. the more enjoyable game. I found Cartographers too long and too irritatingly fiddly for how light the game is - I preferred that Welcome To.. kept things light and fast whereas Cartographers felt like an unenjoyable slog to get through (maybe just cos I'm slow at drawing trees) where the decisions, while slightly more interesting, were nowhere near enough for the effort put in. And yes it has more interactivity between players, but in all our games the choice of where to put a negative piece on someone's board was almost always fairly obvious, so it often ended up feeling like interaction for the sake of interaction.

That said, I'm not really a fan of RnW games except for the Clever games, and only there because I really enjoy the combo chains which was something missing from both Cartographers and Welcome To..

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I adore Welcome To... but definitely wouldn't accuse it of being heavy on strategy. Adding the "bis" system (always a fun teach on that one!) helps a bit, but the game is so breezy that it never overstays its welcome or feels like it's on autopilot.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kerro posted:

That said, I'm not really a fan of RnW games except for the Clever games, and only there because I really enjoy the combo chains which was something missing from both Cartographers and Welcome To..

If drawing little trees and mountains in a grid map doesn't appeal to you (the reader, not Kerro) then Cartographers is not worth buying without trying first, unless it's like $3 or something. Doppelt So Clever is indeed a much better game: predictable length, indirect conflict with other players, gratifying combos, luck-pushing, interesting decisions. Only the theme is worse than Cartographers or Welcome To. Then again, "white boxes with numbers in some of them" was a theme that worked well for Sudoku--maybe there's something to it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

For this price I would prefer they ditch the idea of disposable pads and go to dry-erase with colored markers or even a bunch of tokens you could place on a map instead of drawing them. I feel like I'll end up laminating the maps anyway.

I think I saw someone 3D-printed a Cartographers set of tokens.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Roleplayer's guide to heists digital edition should be hitting your inboxes right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It sure did! Gonna kick back with that little gem and a glass of wine after the kid is in bed and imagine myself a daring rogue.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Decided to pass on Cartographers (who knows when I'll get to play that in person anyhow) and went all-in on Sprawlopolis/Agropolis. I don't have much in the way of solo games, and I think it's a light enough game that my partner will enjoy it too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sprawlopolis is a ton of fun. Everyone I’ve played with loves it, and it’s a good solo too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This was awhile ago but thanks for the Planet Apocalypse info. In the end I ordered the base game off their site and will get one of the new expansions, mainly because of the free stuff. I think that was a good compromise from the hundreds you could spend.

Anyone following awaken realms and game found? Their next game, ISS Vanguard, will be on there instead of kickstarter. Game found as a pledge manager is by far the best one I've used.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
This is apparently going up next week, from the makers of Mint Works. Looks pretty promising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJQT540WypI&t=104s

Though I'm biased towards small games.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 9, 2020

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This explains their recent rebranding into a real-sounding game company.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The tarot-style storytelling card game Spindlewheel launched. The decks are a bit on the pricey side but the good news is that everything is finished and ready to go, just waiting on printing. There's a full download for the Print and Play if you want to check it out before you buy.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Last 24 hours on the 7th Citadel kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seriouspoulp/the-7th-citadel-explore-build-you-are-the-hero/description

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If I disappear let the goons know that my wife killed me. Spirit Island, Pax Pamir, and Battlecon all arriving at once 😳

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dirty Money, a game of money laundering from Capital Gains. The goal is low but the studio is trustworthy and their games are usually decent.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

djfooboo posted:

If I disappear let the goons know that my wife killed me. Spirit Island, Pax Pamir, and Battlecon all arriving at once 😳

So who's getting your games in the event of your untimely demise...?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would assume the wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Mors Rattus posted:

I would assume the wife.

And her new partner. Turns out the wife is also into boardgames and the goon was murdered for entirely unrelated reasons.