Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FASA Trek is... extremely weird.

Star Fleet Battles has a lot of kinda hosed up lore attached to its weird universe that split off from the main Trek one after like The Wrath of Khan.

Including Starfleet ships named after Donald Trump, Robert Mugabe, Pol Pot, Rush Limbaugh (look under the "War Destroyers" category for a lot of :thunk: ones)...

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Imagine being the captain of the USS Regis Philbin.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Not a chance CBS lets the Enterprise-F use a game design, that poo poo is going to Eaves and will be so very pointy. Probably with multiple speed holes and shiny gunmetal finish.

If it was hero ship of a series maybe, but they seem to be leaning into fan-service a bit nowadays and any appearance of the Enterprise-F would likely just be a cameo in Picard anyway.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I hope the people writing Picard take note that you can have a satisfying finale without the entire galaxy at stake. And also just stick with one epic ship saving the day rather than 200 copy and pasted ones that don't even move.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love the last lines of the season are
Warp 5...a 6, a 7, an 8
Oh god the Jazz!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Drone posted:

FASA Trek is... extremely weird.

Star Fleet Battles has a lot of kinda hosed up lore attached to its weird universe that split off from the main Trek one after like The Wrath of Khan.

Including Starfleet ships named after Donald Trump, Robert Mugabe, Pol Pot, Rush Limbaugh (look under the "War Destroyers" category for a lot of :thunk: ones)...

Jesus did they just include the names of anyone with some historical significance without thinking if an organisation like the Federation would actually name a ship after such a person?

Also why have they opted for USS [TITLE] [SURNAME] instead of USS [FIRST NAME] [SURNAME]?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now departing from Starbase 80, the USS Chancellor Adolf Hitler

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Jesus did they just include the names of anyone with some historical significance without thinking if an organisation like the Federation would actually name a ship after such a person?

Also why have they opted for USS [TITLE] [SURNAME] instead of USS [FIRST NAME] [SURNAME]?

USS FIRSTNAME LASTNAME

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Now departing from Starbase 80, the ISS Chancellor Adolf Hitler

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Martytoof posted:

Now departing from Starbase 1488, the ISS Chancellor Adolf Hitler

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Now departing from Starbase 80, the USS Chancellor Adolf Hitler

ohhhh snap! Starbase 80!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I find it really cute that the Pakled became bOrG Junior for this episode, it keeps making me smile

Plus they added stupid helmets

This is the Trekkiest series

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like that every Starfleet ship they encounter is the Enterprise

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

speaking of, since the E is back in Strange New Worlds i'm hoping that also means we get the return of the "Space... the final frontier" opening narration

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

“Love those guys...it’s been a long road getting from there to here.”

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ohhhh snap! Starbase 80!

Extremely tempted to run a campaign of Star Trek Adventures with Starbase 80 as the party's home turf.

Senor Tron posted:

Enterprise-F would likely just be a cameo in Picard anyway.

I always feel alone in thinking that the STO Enterprise-F design is just ugly and boring and bad. I legit don't see what people see in it.

In a setting filled with ships that look like garden trowels, the Enterprise-F is extra shovely and just reeks of kitchen sink ship design.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't like oblong saucer sections so I'm on board.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Enterprise F looks like a particularly tasteless whale redesigned Voyager to be more like a tasteless whale and then fell in love with it and Pygmalion-hosed it and had a baby tasteless Voyager whale

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What was supposed to have happened to the Enterprise-E, did it get blown up at some point? Seems too new to have been retired.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What was supposed to have happened to the Enterprise-E, did it get blown up at some point? Seems too new to have been retired.

Yes it got destroyed in STO. They got involved in a fight vs the Undine (species 8472 from Voyager.)

Data was actually captain at the time. The game hasn't incorporated any of ST:P plot yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STO is not canon, just to be clear

I feel like Picard mentions that there is an Enterprise but I don’t remember if they say much more than that Worf is the Captain. We will probably see it in season 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ha, someone just pointed out to me that the truther lieutenant is called Steve Levy. That's a reference I can appreciate!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Enterprise-Q and it's just John Delancie in a Starfleet uniform Starfleet-branded old-timey swimsuit doing the breast stroke at warp 9

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like Picard mentions that there is an Enterprise but I don’t remember if they say much more than that Worf is the Captain. We will probably see it in season 2.
I guess loving up on that mission where Jadzia got injured didn't damage his career after all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Payndz posted:

Speaking of non-canon stuff, I found the ship manual from the old (ST3-era) FASA Trek RPG, and hoo boy, if you think the Eaves school of starship design is hideous, you ain't seen nothin' yet. If I wasn't on my phone I'd torment your eyes with some of the most ugly/dopey monstrosities they came up with.

Some of their movie-era stuff is decent. Like I always kind of liked the Andor class, and the Northampton was cool in a weird "Hans & Franz flexing" sort of way.

But their short-lived TNG-era stuff? Yeaaaaaah, not so great:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What in the flying gently caress is this transwarp disaster

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you can't fool me I remember this slide from Sex Ed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Turns out it was originally really short and stubby, that's just what they look like after a few years of transwarping

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That episode was loving phenomenal

Oh Little Risa? Should we bring a mini horga'hn?
No, lets bring the regular one we always do!

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yes it got destroyed in STO. They got involved in a fight vs the Undine (species 8472 from Voyager.)

Data was actually captain at the time. The game hasn't incorporated any of ST:P plot yet.

Actually, as it so happens the synth attack on Utopia Planitia was just put into the game as a PvE mission, though it is buggy as hell. From what I've heard Cryptic aren't quite sure of how to handle PIC; the show actually doesn't clash too badly with the game's own take on post-NEM Trek history, but there are problems with various details. They've been able to make little adaptations like removing the Icheb NPC from K7 and having PIC-appropriate Seven show up in the 10th anniversary mission...but Seven still shows up in VOY attire in the old Delta Quadrant story arc and there's been no final word on what the state of Mars is in STO.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 9, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ok what was the name of the ship Riker commanded in Picard?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bilirubin posted:

The USS Zheng He, but he was only acting captain there.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

USS Zheng He

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

cool thanks.

For whatever reason I had remembered it being the Titan but my brain has been turned to cheese curds by 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

cool thanks.

For whatever reason I had remembered it being the Titan but my brain has been turned to cheese curds by 2020

they didn't bother to put registry on the ship models so it was mentioned in dialogue briefly only

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Well I didn't expect Lower Decks to be the best Trek since 1999, but I'm really glad it exists.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Crusader posted:

they didn't bother to put registry on the ship models so it was mentioned in dialogue briefly only

It might have required some work if they had to add registry info on the fleet of Cn'Trl-V class ships.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’d honestly be okay if Mike McMahan took over the franchise.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

HD DAD posted:

I’d honestly be okay if Mike McMahan took over the franchise.

When I found out that he was behind the TNG S8 account, it kind of fell into place. Trek needs someone who can maintain the structural integrity of the rod it has up it's own arse, while at the same time being able to make fun of it. The S8 account sort of knew that sometimes all you really need is a Data And Geordi Fix The Breadmaker episode (especially in the hellscape of 2020)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems to me like the Akira-class has been the inspiration for every big time hero ship since ENT. Which is understandable because it's a great design of course.