Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

Is it a switchable pre amp? Could you just send it through one of these?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pyle-p...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds
There is no switch on the built in one that I've seen.

it's this table: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/pro-ject-debut-iii-phono-usb/

I even popped open the preamp box underneath to see if there were something I could do myself, but no such luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Heath posted:

Do you guys have any unusually shaped discs? I only have one, the big planchette disc that came with The Mars Volta's The Bedlam in Goliath.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Fors Yard posted:

Someday I'll get this:

Lol wow

I regrettably own no non-circular records. Well, I have a few square plexidiscs and lathe cuts, but nothing cool

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

midge posted:

How the gently caress do I get my hands on the Jarvis Cocker RSD records? I've been waiting for those to get repressed for a long time! I've not done any RSD poo poo online. Any Toronto/Ontario goons got hints?

Call ahead and request them from Sonic Boom, Kops, Tiny Record Shop, etc. Then hit up each one in the order they open on the day and hope for the best.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Fors Yard posted:

Someday I'll get this:

My god...what is it I need it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
DJNCOS

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Hot Diggity! posted:

My god...what is it I need it

A-side is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCcq94sgDY

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Can’t share a picture from my phone, but this is the only one that matters. My wife walked in on me taking pictures of this and I can’t figure out how to post it with the awful app. A doubly shameful experience.

Bobby Caldwell - What You Won’t Do For Love on heart shaped red. https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Caldwell-What-You-Wont-Do-For-Love-Love-Wont-Wait/release/545791

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm glad I decided to look up the RSD listings because HOLY poo poo do I want that Koyaanisqatsi record that's coming October 24. One of my top ten favorite movies ever!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JAMOOOL posted:

looks pretty cool, but is this gonna do anything one of these won't?

https://www.rockmerch.com/products/...s%20%26%20Vinyl

These just kind of push the poo poo around rather than actually cleaning it. I wouldn't recommend it.

Enos Cabell posted:

poo poo, good point. I forgot about that and I even own the Sleep live set they did. In that case I guess just steer clear of Leesta Vall recordings then.

In fairness Jack White is a crazy person who also has a lot of money so when it comes to some kind of old or esoteric piece of audio equipment he's going to have the absolute best.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

was pointed to a store that sells replacement parts for my specific turntable. So I'll be replacing the guts of my Pre-Amp myself! take that repair shops that wouldnt help me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/blipblopwax/status/1314251027667976199?s=19

I didn't even know this album existed until yesterday, but it was worth ordering. The album art is gorgeous and the remixes are solid.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/blipblopwax/status/1314251027667976199?s=19

I didn't even know this album existed until yesterday, but it was worth ordering. The album art is gorgeous and the remixes are solid.

Yeah this is really chill af. The green/white variant is already sold out so I doubt this is sticking around for too long.

pwn
May 27, 2004

quote:

It is selling fast so don’t sleep on this.

FOMO FOMO I GOTTA GET IT IT’S GOING FAST WOW other people are getting it i need to get it too i dont want to miss out no time to think no time no time do it DO IT BUY BUY NOW!!!

Christ, I am so done with it. Make enough or gently caress off. Glad I don’t gaf about SoM.

pwn fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 8, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pwn posted:

FOMO FOMO I GOTTA GET IT IT’S GOING FAST WOW other people are getting it i need to get it too i dont want to miss out no time to think no time no time do it DO IT BUY BUY NOW!!!

Christ, I am so done with it. Make enough or gently caress off. Glad I don’t gaf about SoM.

Remember how in economics class you learned that market forces exist and operate on a simple supply:demand equation where supply will always meet demand so long as it is able to do so, and that society is structured around that notion?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I only looked at the picture quickly and thought it said "Meat Wave" and got excited that there was a surprise Meat Wave album but it's not it's just a video game thing :smith:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hot Diggity! posted:

I only looked at the picture quickly and thought it said "Meat Wave" and got excited that there was a surprise Meat Wave album but it's not it's just a video game thing :smith:

Meat Wave is the best

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Got my copy of Hackers in today. I forgot how good of a soundtrack this was. Really happy I managed to get this without going into the store.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Secret Records got some Chrome and Snakefinger going up for pre-order tomorrow.

Gotta get my hands on that bottom right.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Heath posted:

Remember how in economics class you learned that market forces exist and operate on a simple supply:demand equation where supply will always meet demand so long as it is able to do so, and that society is structured around that notion?

I’m done with capitalism too for that matter

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

caligulamprey posted:

Secret Records got some Chrome and Snakefinger going up for pre-order tomorrow.

Gotta get my hands on that bottom right.

:hellyeah:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

Fair enough, I shouldn't have been so hawky about it. You can also get the music itself with a name your price at Bandcamp if you don't have the shelf space or monies for it and like chill beats.

And umm... no FOMO intended for this but there's a pretty killer funk band out of Montreal called The Brooks and they just announced the vinyl release for their new LP later this month and it rules. A pink version is technically already available from Wax Buyer's Club (it's how I got my copy) but that might only make sense for you if you're in France or the EU. Anyways definitely worth checking out, and may be good for next month's Bandcamp Friday.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

Fair enough, I shouldn't have been so hawky about it.

No dude i specifically quoted the damned tweet! You’re fine. We all like shiny poo poo. I am just really burnt out on this approach to selling plastic discs.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ballz posted:

And umm... no FOMO intended for this but there's a pretty killer funk band out of Montreal called The Brooks and they just announced the vinyl release for their new LP later this month and it rules. A pink version is technically already available from Wax Buyer's Club (it's how I got my copy) but that might only make sense for you if you're in France or the EU. Anyways definitely worth checking out, and may be good for next month's Bandcamp Friday.

Thanks for putting this on my radar! I wasn't familiar, but really dig 'em and I'll look out for the stateside release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I've finally reached the "gently caress it I have enough of this poo poo already." stage of collecting and my life is better for it.

Ballz posted:

Fair enough, I shouldn't have been so hawky about it. You can also get the music itself with a name your price at Bandcamp if you don't have the shelf space or monies for it and like chill beats.

I read the first part of that sentence more than once before I figured out you weren't talking about of Montreal.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

Strong Jamiroquai energy, they sound great. Can't quite stomach paying $15 shipping on top of a $30 album though.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Getting into vinyl for the first time. I was brought up in a house which relied on records for most of the music we had (old Hitachi player), but most of it was either kids albums for me, or classical music/soundtracks. When I was growing up, I used mostly tapes early on because I could use them in a Walkman, or eventually CD's back in the early 90's. Never really gave a thought to vinyl as it was seen as old tech, you couldn't skip tracks like you could on CD's, and none of the other kids were really getting them.

But now, I have a kind of nostalgia for them. I used to sit in a chair by the stereo with a pair of headphones on, reading the album notes or looking at the art as a kid, and really enjoying that. So I've decided to get into collecting them. I have pretty much always collected physical media, as I like having something in my hands rather than just a computer file. And I really like the large format style of records.

So, my first purchase has been a pre-order for the new Mr Bungle album, 'The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny Demo', in double disc red smoke vinyl, and a copy of the new "Run the Jewels" album in double disc magenta. I've now also ordered the re-mastered "Loser" edition of L7's "Smell the Magic", because I love that band, and have added a look out for myself to find the 1992 Australian Green vinyl release of "Bricks are Heavy".

I've kind of gone in to the deep end quickly, haven't I? I don't even have anything to play them on for gently caress's sake. I just like having the albums. I am almost reticent to play them if I get a record player, as I don't want to damage them.

Does anyone else do this, or am I just some kind of vinyl newb idiot who only wants things because they are pretty?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Dark Project posted:

I've kind of gone in to the deep end quickly, haven't I?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

The Dark Project posted:

I've kind of gone in to the deep end quickly, haven't I? I don't even have anything to play them on for gently caress's sake. I just like having the albums. I am almost reticent to play them if I get a record player, as I don't want to damage them.

Does anyone else do this, or am I just some kind of vinyl newb idiot who only wants things because they are pretty?

this was me at first, i got into it cause i was in a record store looking for stuff for my father in law who likes to listen to old beatles & billy joel albums on vinyl and stumbled across my favorite band's self-titled album on a shelf and had to buy it just cause

took me a while to get my first player (which was a crosley, yikes), but i've since upgraded to a AT-LP60X thank goodness

i still don't listen very often, i mostly use it as an excuse to buy pretty things i can also display and support the bands i love, especially now when i can't support them via tours

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yeah that was kind of me for a while. I did have a fairly expensive turntable (a Stanton TR8-80 which I basically spent my entire savings on - $300) but I lived in the dorms so all I had were these puny speakers that didn't sound nearly as good as the ones hooked up to my computer. still bought vinyl all the time cuz it was so cheap, I just liked having it. the mid 00's was a golden era for people just dumping off their entire collection for a hundred bucks.

now that I have a house I wound up cobbling together a decent set up - Dad's old receiver, Mom's old tower speakers, stuff they wanted to get rid of for years but they still work great. now that I'm working from home I'm playing records pretty much all the time.

as impractical and silly as it is I enjoy it a lot - I find it more satisfying than just downloading everything I hear of and powering through 2-3 new albums a day. I think when you actually have to spend a finite resource on something it gives it meaning, I feel like I'm *enjoying* music in a way I kinda haven't since I used to spend all my Burger King money on CDs? idk how to explain it. totally irrational but the popularity of this thread tells me I'm not the only one

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

JAMOOOL posted:

yeah that was kind of me for a while. I did have a fairly expensive turntable (a Stanton TR8-80 which I basically spent my entire savings on - $300) but I lived in the dorms so all I had were these puny speakers that didn't sound nearly as good as the ones hooked up to my computer. still bought vinyl all the time cuz it was so cheap, I just liked having it. the mid 00's was a golden era for people just dumping off their entire collection for a hundred bucks.

now that I have a house I wound up cobbling together a decent set up - Dad's old receiver, Mom's old tower speakers, stuff they wanted to get rid of for years but they still work great. now that I'm working from home I'm playing records pretty much all the time.

as impractical and silly as it is I enjoy it a lot - I find it more satisfying than just downloading everything I hear of and powering through 2-3 new albums a day. I think when you actually have to spend a finite resource on something it gives it meaning, I feel like I'm *enjoying* music in a way I kinda haven't since I used to spend all my Burger King money on CDs? idk how to explain it. totally irrational but the popularity of this thread tells me I'm not the only one

one of my favorite things on this earth is to light up some :420:, throw a record on, and look at the art / lyrics / whatever else came with it

the primary downfall of the digital era, imo, is losing the physical connection to the music, and especially now when I can't see music in person it's oddly... comforting in a way? hard to explain, but i get it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it's nice to own a thing you enjoy and to support a band. especially through bandcamp where i know the artist will be getting most of if not all the money.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

it's nice to own a thing you enjoy and to support a band. especially through bandcamp where i know the artist will be getting most of if not all the money.

This is understandable. But beyond that I actively discourage people from getting into record collecting because it's just a big insane money hole that is very easy to fall into. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would invest in this format if they had no intention of actually listening to the records. You can still support bands by buying their t-shirts and digital downloads and stuff. If I had to guess they probably make more off of digital (on bandcamp or small labels anyway) than they would off of records. Big label poo poo? They make gently caress all without concert tickets and the stuff they sell at the venues. And even then all those prices are jacked up so four different companies can take a bite.

But then again, I'm autistic and have beep boop computer brain so maybe it makes more sense to normal people.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Only get in to records if you plan to die in the place you presently call home.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Only get in to records if you plan to die in the place you presently call home.

Kill two birds with one stone and make a house out of the crates filled with records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Dark Project posted:

Getting into vinyl for the first time. I was brought up in a house which relied on records for most of the music we had (old Hitachi player), but most of it was either kids albums for me, or classical music/soundtracks. When I was growing up, I used mostly tapes early on because I could use them in a Walkman, or eventually CD's back in the early 90's. Never really gave a thought to vinyl as it was seen as old tech, you couldn't skip tracks like you could on CD's, and none of the other kids were really getting them.

But now, I have a kind of nostalgia for them. I used to sit in a chair by the stereo with a pair of headphones on, reading the album notes or looking at the art as a kid, and really enjoying that. So I've decided to get into collecting them. I have pretty much always collected physical media, as I like having something in my hands rather than just a computer file. And I really like the large format style of records.

So, my first purchase has been a pre-order for the new Mr Bungle album, 'The Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny Demo', in double disc red smoke vinyl, and a copy of the new "Run the Jewels" album in double disc magenta. I've now also ordered the re-mastered "Loser" edition of L7's "Smell the Magic", because I love that band, and have added a look out for myself to find the 1992 Australian Green vinyl release of "Bricks are Heavy".

Next step is to start going to thrift stores 2-3 times a week and grabbing everything that’s not Christmas records, Manatovani, or Lawerence Welk. That means lots of John Denver, hall and Oates, Al Hirt, that Streisand album with Barry gibb on the cover, and a little Manatovani.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Next step is to start going to thrift stores 2-3 times a week and grabbing everything that’s not Christmas records, Manatovani, or Lawerence Welk. That means lots of John Denver, hall and Oates, Al Hirt, that Streisand album with Barry gibb on the cover, and a little Manatovani.

Aren't you forgetting some other delights?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Don't forget the 173 Jimmy Swaggart records that all smell of mildew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Moe_Rahn posted:

Don't forget the 173 Jimmy Swaggart records that all smell of mildew.

That’s how my whole record collection smells so I don’t notice them anymore.

I actually don’t have any jimmy swaggart records but I’ve got a billy graham somewhere, and another evangelist Jews for Jesus type guy with like a singing family act. Weird stuff.