Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are there any good games out there that have the specific loot/grinding/progression loop of Monster Hunter: World that aren't monster hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are there any good games out there that have the specific loot/grinding/progression loop of Monster Hunter: World that aren't monster hunter?

God Eater :v:

Can you describe more of the loop? I don't remember how it works off-hand.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

God Eater :v:

Can you describe more of the loop? I don't remember how it works off-hand.

Just the general grind for specific loot/use loot to fight bigger thing to get other specific loot with lots of different locations and choices. It's different from something like Diablo because you know generally where to find the thing you're looking for, allowing you to set big goals for your character.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Creeper World

I enjoy CW3 but it'd be much better if you played as the creeper. Yet the way it works would be weird, I suspect.

anilEhilated posted:

If you don't mind it being a turn-based 4X, Endless Legend has a faction just for you.

Necrophages, I assume? That does look intriguing, I'll add it to my wishlist!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bouchehog posted:

[list]Wolfenstein II, which was hard to follow not having played the earlier games but was pretty fun otherwise;

The 2 previous games (New Order/Old Blood) are easily as good if not better than Wolf II.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

khy posted:

I enjoy CW3 but it'd be much better if you played as the creeper. Yet the way it works would be weird, I suspect.

there are Play-As-Creeper custom maps

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Looking for a multiplayer game, 2-3 players that can run on a toaster. Genres like co-op rpg or tactical strategy, hopefully also co-op because he’s much smarter than me.

I have a friend who has a crappy old ultrabook and an Xbox One. I have a PS4 and a gaming PC. We’re looking to play video games together on a regular basis, maybe sometimes with a couple more people.

I’ve considered Minecraft but he said no. I’m thinking Civ 6 may not run on his hardware. Other than Don’t Starve Together I’m drawing a blank. Any ideas?

He likes tactical games like XCOM and Baldur’s Gate. BG3 would be perfect but it’s beta and very expensive and has high hardware requirements.

If you were ok with something that involved quick but interesting turn based tactical battles against each other then I'd suggest Frozen Synapse. It can probably run on pretty much anything. There's a sequel that looks great, but I've not played it.

Had a lot of fun with Monaco for co-op heist action that could fit the bill and has low requirements. Screenshots make it look confusing, but in motion it is actually really easily readable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I enjoyed the mapping and slightly obtuse puzzles and exploration of La Mulana, but the bosses were hard enough that I just couldn't work up the oomph to push through and get back to the parts of the game I enjoyed. Is there anything else that might scratch that itch?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PMush Perfect posted:

I enjoyed the mapping and slightly obtuse puzzles and exploration of La Mulana, but the bosses were hard enough that I just couldn't work up the oomph to push through and get back to the parts of the game I enjoyed. Is there anything else that might scratch that itch?

Axiom Verge is much closer to the traditional metroidvania formula than La Mulana but it still has some light puzzle-like elements, particularly if you try to gather and translate all the in-game lore.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

Environmental Station Alpha

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My mom is going to visit me in a couple weeks, and I know she'd love to try out my new VR setup. What games should I show her? I was thinking something simple and lighthearted/funny, nothing that's overwhelming or scary. I have an Index if that matters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Riatsala posted:

My mom is going to visit me in a couple weeks, and I know she'd love to try out my new VR setup. What games should I show her? I was thinking something simple and lighthearted/funny, nothing that's overwhelming or scary. I have an Index if that matters.

I haven't actually played it, but I've had my eye on Moss. I think Beat Saber also has universal appeal, but that can get pretty hard.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Riatsala posted:

Most important improvement for your VR setup:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

La Mulana 2 is a lot easier. There's still a couple of dickish bosses, but they turned the difficulty down with patches.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Environmental Station Alpha

Yeah the postgame of ESA has some good stuff like that.
Anodyne has some in the endgame. Anodyne 2 sadly has very little exploration/obtuse puzzle aspect aside from the collectibles.

Baba Is You has what some people might consider obtuse puzzles...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Riatsala posted:

Beat Saber seems like the obvious answer. Just start her on Easy. Maybe download some custom songs if you know her musical preferences.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 9, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If La-Mulana is too hard for you then I would hesitate to recommend Environment Station Alpha. I feel like ESA is the harder of the two games, even if you ignore all the bonus/postgame stuff.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

anilEhilated posted:

La Mulana 2 is a lot easier. There's still a couple of dickish bosses, but they turned the difficulty down with patches.

I really need to try out La Mulana 2. In terms of puzzles La Mulana is really excellent and I wanna see what the sequel has to offer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Riatsala posted:

Job Simulator and Vacation Simulator are some real good entries into VR.

And VR chat if you want to scar her :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Shes an adult, so check the adult VR section of Steam.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

OgNar posted:

Shes an adult, so check the adult VR section of Steam.

Everyday something makes me realize that it's the loving future already. literally :gonk:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I have an odd itch: I want sort of a management sim where you control or direct minions to gather resources, craft things out of the resources, sell or use those things, and continue expanding. Factorio didn't hit the itch for me due to the logistics robots coming so late, and Graveyard Keeper makes the zombies too fiddly to use. I could use modded Minecraft I guess, but is there a game dedicated to specifically minions doing my work?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Galick posted:

So I have an odd itch: I want sort of a management sim where you control or direct minions to gather resources, craft things out of the resources, sell or use those things, and continue expanding. Factorio didn't hit the itch for me due to the logistics robots coming so late, and Graveyard Keeper makes the zombies too fiddly to use. I could use modded Minecraft I guess, but is there a game dedicated to specifically minions doing my work?

Rimworld?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Galick posted:

Surviving Mars is all about legions of drones and colonists doing menial tasks to expand a Mars colony

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Rimworld is a pretty good choice, though I prefer to actually be an entity in the world rather than something looking down from on high. Graveyard Keeper was -so- close to being what I wanted.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Galick posted:

Rimworld is a pretty good choice, though I prefer to actually be an entity in the world rather than something looking down from on high. Graveyard Keeper was -so- close to being what I wanted.

KeeperRL then?

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
Can anyone recommend a strategy(ish) game on the PC that works well with a controller?

I loved XCOM2 a while back, I've also put a bunch of hours into Slay The Spire, Darkest Dungeon and Into the Breach.

I've tried Divinity Original Sin 2 -- but for some reason the RPG storyline elements didn't really gel with me.

Any suggestions? The controller is the most important part, I don't have a PC with keyboard + mouse setup anymore.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Disgaea's on PC now, it's console-based so presumably it has good controller support.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

riichiee posted:

Can anyone recommend a strategy(ish) game on the PC that works well with a controller?

I loved XCOM2 a while back, I've also put a bunch of hours into Slay The Spire, Darkest Dungeon and Into the Breach.

I've tried Divinity Original Sin 2 -- but for some reason the RPG storyline elements didn't really gel with me.

Any suggestions? The controller is the most important part, I don't have a PC with keyboard + mouse setup anymore.

The Banner Saga games are beautiful strategy rpgs with a great artistic direction

Heat Signature is a real time top down action game, but with intense levels of planning and split second strategy

Hard West is like xcom but in the wild west, and there is supernatural poo poo

Massive Chalice is Doublefine's take on a xcom style strategy

Monaco is a heist game where each character has a special skill, cute art style, might be hard to play well single player

Surviving Mars has full controller support I THINK

This War of Mine, but don't play it, too sad

All the Valkyria Chronicles games

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

riichiee posted:

Not sure how well it works with controller but Desperados 3 and Wasteland 3 both have console ports so it's definitely fully supported.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I was also going to recommend desperados 3. Best game of the year in my opinion. You could try shadow tactics shogun first, the studios' previous game. It's also extremely good and cheaper (it goes on sale every once in a while).

Besides that, you can always emulate some old console games on your pc...

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 13, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

riichiee posted:

Warhammer: Mechanicus has controller support

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Galick posted:

Autonauts is in this month's Humble Choice.

Based on my first few hours with it, it's pretty fun, but the UI isn't as good as it should be.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 13, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Galick posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2, sort of

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

riichiee posted:

Skulls of the Shogun is a great little lightweight strategy game, it was released on PS4 so the controller support on PC is integrated very well.

Download an PS2 emulator and play the original Kessen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galick posted:

I haven't played it but The Colonists?

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Galick posted:

Others have already said this, but you want Autonauts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Galick posted:

There is a Management Games Megathread here

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Galick posted:

Factory town is this plus making marble mazes for your round-type products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Unreal_One posted:

Factory town is this plus making marble mazes for your round-type products.

You don't control minions though, otherwise I'd have mentioned it.