Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Eh, Trek has had "saucer/seperate pod/underslung nacelle" designs since The Wrath of Khan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bilirubin posted:

cool thanks.

For whatever reason I had remembered it being the Titan but my brain has been turned to cheese curds by 2020

Frakes also pronounced Zheng He atrociously wrong so I wouldn't blame you for not knowing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Finally saw the first episode of Lower Decks. It's delightful and I'm probably gonna watch it all this weekend, whee.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

echoplex posted:

When I found out that he was behind the TNG S8 account, it kind of fell into place. Trek needs someone who can maintain the structural integrity of the rod it has up it's own arse, while at the same time being able to make fun of it. The S8 account sort of knew that sometimes all you really need is a Data And Geordi Fix The Breadmaker episode (especially in the hellscape of 2020)

this is a really efficient and accurate way of expressing what i love about lower decks vs. the other modern trek shows

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I quite like Discovery, but it's just... a lot. I would happily take that cast doing a fix the breadmaker episode.

Picard is a very unhappy place for me.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

echoplex posted:

I quite like Discovery, but it's just... a lot. I would happily take that cast doing a fix the breadmaker episode.

I feel like the Mudd episode in S1 was this to me. S2... I dunno, maybe the New Eden episode?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I was just thinking that the truther should totally have thrown in a "Federation assassinated a Romulan senator to bring the Romulans into the war on our side!" as part of his diatribe.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Wee Bairns posted:

Eh, Trek has had "saucer/seperate pod/underslung nacelle" designs since The Wrath of Khan.

And usually to denote a 'lesser' ship than the various Enterprises over the years, which works great for Lower Decks.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm impressed that at the end of episode one I was thinking "that was okay", and by the end of episode ten I am totally on the "best Star Trek in decades" bandwagon .

:same:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MichiganCubbie posted:

I was just thinking that the truther should totally have thrown in a "Federation assassinated a Romulan senator to bring the Romulans into the war on our side!" as part of his diatribe.

Yeah that's a fake (news)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

echoplex posted:

Picard is a very unhappy place for me.

I'm more excited for seeing what Discovery is going to try and do in S3 than anything they could conceivably do in Picard S2 - I feel like they kinda ruined that entire time period now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

I'm more excited for seeing what Discovery is going to try and do in S3 than anything they could conceivably do in Picard S2 - I feel like they kinda ruined that entire time period now.

i mean they basically hit a reset button at the end of the season

they could literally do anything with it

note that I am not arguing that this was a good move

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I’d honestly be okay if Mike McMahan took over the franchise.

:same:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cross-Section posted:

I feel like the Mudd episode in S1 was this to me. S2... I dunno, maybe the New Eden episode?

For S2 it was definitely New Eden. That was just a good, old-school Trek episode with a little Red Angel tacked on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The first part of Disco S2 was some good Trek, then the showrunner change happened and... yeah.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Just noticed the thread title.

#BorgBeamsDontMeltTitaniumBulkheads.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Frakes sounded like younger Frakes rather than now. I believed this was Riker 20 years ago.

A detail i noticed is that the weird bug alien guy that was on the covers of the Titan books i'd see at airport bookstores was on the bridge. I guess he's first officer?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Isn't Tuvok supposed to be on the Titan too? Maybe Tim Russ would be willing to do some VA work for an episode or two.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Memory Beta says the Titan crew includes Tuvok, Wesley, Ogawa, Melora, and nobody else I recognize so either book originals or some real deep cuts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I like how Frakes sounded like younger Frakes rather than now. I believed this was Riker 20 years ago.

A detail i noticed is that the weird bug alien guy that was on the covers of the Titan books i'd see at airport bookstores was on the bridge. I guess he's first officer?

It was a Saurian. They showed up recently on Discovery after a blip cameo in TMP. Riker's first officer in the books is a human woman. Though the Titan books say that Riker put together as diverse a crew as he could muster, so the ship was like 60% alien, a lot of whom were from Federation species that actually kind of hated one another, so there was always this tension between all of them coming together and showing the Federation's "diversity is our strength" philosophy in action, or just tearing each other apart.

The first couple of books also featured Tuvok as part of the crew as Riker's acting Tactical Officer. So if Season 2 is going to start off splitting its time between the Cerritos and Titan, hopefully include that little detail too and have Tim Russ show up for a couple episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Memory Beta says the Titan crew includes Tuvok, Wesley, Ogawa, Melora, and nobody else I recognize so either book originals or some real deep cuts.

Oh god, can you just imagine it. Wil Wheaton playing a cool Wesley Crusher who just styles on Boimler all the time. Fuuuuuuck

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boimler's definitely going to try to grow a beard

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nine-gear crow posted:

It was a Saurian. They showed up recently on Discovery after a blip cameo in TMP. Riker's first officer in the books is a human woman. Though the Titan books say that Riker put together as diverse a crew as he could muster, so the ship was like 60% alien, a lot of whom were from Federation species that actually kind of hated one another, so there was always this tension between all of them coming together and showing the Federation's "diversity is our strength" philosophy in action, or just tearing each other apart.

The first couple of books also featured Tuvok as part of the crew as Riker's acting Tactical Officer. So if Season 2 is going to start off splitting its time between the Cerritos and Titan, hopefully include that little detail too and have Tim Russ show up for a couple episodes.

I wonder if it was the same Saurian who kept cheating by pretending to be a flagpole for the Academy capture the flag games

Did anyone else read these motherfuckers?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh god, can you just imagine it. Wil Wheaton playing a cool Wesley Crusher who just styles on Boimler all the time. Fuuuuuuck

As someone that has never read any of the books I thought for sure that was Crusher as the Titan's captain as that looked more like Wheaton's beard than Frakes'.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I wonder if it was the same Saurian who kept cheating by pretending to be a flagpole for the Academy capture the flag games

Did anyone else read these motherfuckers?

Oh wow, I can't believe Georgi was a literal action figure in his Academy days.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh wow, I can't believe Georgi was a literal action figure in his Academy days.

Literally!

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

tarlibone posted:

Thank you! God, that was killing me.

Man... talk about how forgettable a movie can be where a fan of the franchise went to a theater and saw the movie on the big screen, and the two things he remembers are 1) this is the movie that they say wraps up the franchise; and 2) oh neat, the actors signed the film in the end credits!

It's a shame, too. Now that I think about it, that movie wasn't horrible. I especially like the one part where they're quoting Shakespeare, and the Klingon says something (I think about breathing room), and Kirk cites the quote, "Earth; Hitler; 1938."

Forgettable? Undiscovered Country is up there with Wrath of Khan as the best of the Trek movies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Literally!

Oh is that what he had to put on when Cmdr. Deanna Troi ordered him to his death in a Jefferies tube

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thread title: *chef kiss*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Oh is that what he had to put on when Cmdr. Deanna Troi ordered him to his death in a Jefferies tube

Troi: This should give you a few extra moments to escape.
LaForge: I'm an engineer, I know that's bullshit. Don't worry, I'm not afraid to die.
Troi: I'm an empath, I know that's bullshit.
LaForge: Good chat. See ya never

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Aeolusdallas posted:

Forgettable? Undiscovered Country is up there with Wrath of Khan as the best of the Trek movies

Yeah, we already had this whole conversation. Long story short, I was mixing it up with the one where they go see God with Spock's brother, because both movies came out close together and I saw them both at the theater.

I guess the word "final" being in The Final Frontier's title corrupted the memory file in my brain of Star Trek movies. So my mind said, "Final? Must have been the final movie, then, or at least the movie they all assumed would be the final one. Oh wait... didn't they put their autographs on the movie that was supposed to be the final movie? OK, that means the one you want to forget was the final movie--right there in the title--and that's the one with the signatures. File | Save As... | STARTR~5.FRT".

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Marshal Radisic posted:

Honestly, a lot of the time the original Enterprise was the second contact crew, while the first contact crew got themselves killed decades before. Most of those first contact captains in the late 22nd century would also have been either contemporaries or students of Archer, which would explain a lot.

I only just now remembered that the planet from the intro falls into that exact category: Starfleet sent the Enterprise to find out what happened to the USS Archon at Beta III a hundred years later, whoops.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, we already had this whole conversation. Long story short, I was mixing it up with the one where they go see God with Spock's brother, because both movies came out close together and I saw them both at the theater.

I guess the word "final" being in The Final Frontier's title corrupted the memory file in my brain of Star Trek movies. So my mind said, "Final? Must have been the final movie, then, or at least the movie they all assumed would be the final one. Oh wait... didn't they put their autographs on the movie that was supposed to be the final movie? OK, that means the one you want to forget was the final movie--right there in the title--and that's the one with the signatures. File | Save As... | STARTR~5.FRT".
I had that problem for a while too.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Literally!

Cyber diaper

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

zoux posted:

Seems to me like the Akira-class has been the inspiration for every big time hero ship since ENT. Which is understandable because it's a great design of course.

The guy who designed the Titan/Luna-class has talked about it's origins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yiRv1dhBjw&t=809s

Funnily enough it's not the Akira, it's the original Enterprise and Reliant with First Contact aesthetics added on later.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah, he was sitting in the left seat which is the first officer slot. Also based on what we saw, the Titan is 100% a key party in space.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Grand Fromage posted:

Frakes also pronounced Zheng He atrociously wrong so I wouldn't blame you for not knowing.

I only recall him saying it was the biggest and baddest and there would be nothing more he would like to do than open up a can of whoop rear end on some Romulans who desperately need it

I might have been hooting or hollaring at the time though

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bilirubin posted:

I only recall him saying it was the biggest and baddest and there would be nothing more he would like to do than open up a can of whoop rear end on some Romulans who desperately need it

I, too, was hootin' 'n hollarin' every which way; I was jumping up and down and all around. Goin' buck wild up 'ere.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cross-Section posted:

Short Treks

On Pike's ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bilirubin posted:

I would like to Eternal Sunshine all of that from my mind