Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Azran posted:

The RPG has a section about Skaven society where they talk about Skaven lawyers and how trials are all about convincingly blaming everyone else for what you obviously did.

So Skaven trials are just games of Among Us?

"Your honor-judge, I am not the fake-impostor, I was in workshop the entire time!"

"That's nonsense. I was in workshop the entire time. He's fake-impostor, yes-yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Want to see a rat in that big white judge's wig & robe.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
These are cool and good posts with more info. Maybe I should get some Chronicle Omnibuses on the Skaven.

Next Omnibuses I want to pick up are;
- Vampire Wars
- Genevieve (I hear it 's non-canon, but also good, so who cares)
- Gotrek and Felix V3 (Maybe, I hear after King left it the quality dropped)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Azran posted:

The farsqueaker, which they used to prank-call the Eldar from 40k.

The farsqueaker is their telephone, but that's not how they called the eldar iirc. That was in end times after they looted some lizardmen artifacts.

Which reminds me, I don't think it's ever been mentioned before in this thread that end times had some elves led by the boringest wood elf character whose name I don't remember, the one with the bird, meet a Grey Knight in the chaos realm/warp. So basically if Total War is happening in 8th edition then technically the 40k and fantasy worlds are canonically connected?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

For those of us that have been waiting for a sale since the summer, looks like most of the DLC is half off on steam.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The farsqueaker is their telephone, but that's not how they called the eldar iirc. That was in end times after they looted some lizardmen artifacts.

Which reminds me, I don't think it's ever been mentioned before in this thread that end times had some elves led by the boringest wood elf character whose name I don't remember, the one with the bird, meet a Grey Knight in the chaos realm/warp. So basically if Total War is happening in 8th edition then technically the 40k and fantasy worlds are canonically connected?
I think GW have been dropping various inconclusive hints that they're connected for many years. There's an old Grombrindal diorama where he's wearing power armour and toting a bolter. And there was some way to get power armour and a bolter as wargear, I think? In some old grognardy edition, or maybe in the official RPG? A popular theory is that Sigmar is one of the Lost Primarchs and the twin-tailed comet was his gestation pod crashing on the WHFB world, etc.

Isn't the quasi-official line that GW eventually settled on that the two settings have the Warp in common, but the Warp connects a bunch of different realities and the WHFB planet isn't in the 40Kverse after all? Just that the occasionally bit of 40k stuff falls through the Warp and washes up in the Old World, like flotsam on a desert island? Or am I getting that confused with one of the many fan theories?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sega 32X posted:

For those of us that have been waiting for a sale since the summer, looks like most of the DLC is half off on steam.
Warhammer II itself is 20 bucks and Warhammer 1 is 15 bucks. Warhammer II is also having a free weekend. Great time to pick up stuff.

Relatedly, do you need Warhammer 1 installed to pick up the free DLC for it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Endorph posted:

Warhammer II itself is 20 bucks and Warhammer 1 is 15 bucks. Warhammer II is also having a free weekend. Great time to pick up stuff.

Relatedly, do you need Warhammer 1 installed to pick up the free DLC for it?
I have heard otherwise from some, but yes I needed to have WH1 installed to get the FLC for it installed. Its a pain but worth it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zephro posted:

I think GW have been dropping various inconclusive hints that they're connected for many years. There's an old Grombrindal diorama where he's wearing power armour and toting a bolter. And there was some way to get power armour and a bolter as wargear, I think? In some old grognardy edition, or maybe in the official RPG? A popular theory is that Sigmar is one of the Lost Primarchs and the twin-tailed comet was his gestation pod crashing on the WHFB world, etc.

Isn't the quasi-official line that GW eventually settled on that the two settings have the Warp in common, but the Warp connects a bunch of different realities and the WHFB planet isn't in the 40Kverse after all? Just that the occasionally bit of 40k stuff falls through the Warp and washes up in the Old World, like flotsam on a desert island? Or am I getting that confused with one of the many fan theories?

I think officially the two are entirely different and unconnected things despite the presence of the same Chaos gods. Even so, they still like adding Easter eggs like the already mentioned example of an adventure band from fantasy meeting someone who clearly is supposed to be a Grey Knight lost in the warp.

I think chaos and amazons being able to take 40k wargear was from older editions where it was implied that the two universes were connected.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
There was a book about the Chaos Wastes. It talked about all the Marauder civilizations and Daemons that was written entirely from an in-universe perspective and the last few sections had lots of tidbits about Chaos Space Marines sometimes finding their way into the Fantasy world. I don't think it contained any rules or anything for the tabletop but it would have been a great dlc to have Chaos Lords replaced by CSMs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Up Circle posted:

There was a book about the Chaos Wastes. It talked about all the Marauder civilizations and Daemons that was written entirely from an in-universe perspective and the last few sections had lots of tidbits about Chaos Space Marines sometimes finding their way into the Fantasy world. I don't think it contained any rules or anything for the tabletop but it would have been a great dlc to have Chaos Lords replaced by CSMs.

That was Liber Chaotica. It was really cool and also difficult to read at points because a lot of it was "documents" in faux-medieval fonts and "handwritten" scribbles in red from the "author" himself. And yeah the "author" writes about dreams he has that are basically the 40k-specfic parts of chaos since he's from the fantasy Empire. It wasn't at the end but scattered throughout.

It's simultaneously an in-universe lore book and also an in-universe story where you can see the author go increasingly insane and pro-chaos as he describes khorne, then slaanesh, then nurgle, then tzeentch.

There's also a Liber Necris that was iirc written by "Nagash" and had notes from "Mannfred."

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We need more Libres tbh

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm only 34 turns into my Vlad campaign, and I managed to get a Terrorgheist from a Raise Dead pool. Vampire Christmas came early! :drac:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Warhammer Fantasy World is a planet in the Eye of Terror, the 40k universe is in a glass bottle on some Imperial mages shelf. Both/Neither are true.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are the popular mod lists these days, thinking I might try out SFO to see how it is after it got de-nazified.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If you knock out a lord during battle, does the remainder of his army lose all associated bonuses he was giving them?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Quick question, I have the Chaos Invasion happening in my Mortal Empires campaign. I also have a mod that triples the amount of chaos armies and ups their unit quality so the invasion is a challenge. I now have Archaeon and the other Chaos LL's showing up. I've smacked them down twice so far. The invasion continues.

I remember in W1 the Invasion only ended if you killed all the Chaos stacks on the same turn, along with their LL's. Thing is, Mortal Empires also has the other Chaos factions plus 4 puppet factions, one for each chaos god. Do all of them have to be destroyed at the same time, or at least before I kill the LL's, in order to stop the invasion? I can't tell if the puppet chaos god factions are from a mod or from ME themselves.

Also I ran into a bug where after defeating Archaeon the first time he suddenly declared war on all of Norsca and the puppet chaos god factions. Anyone ever seen that happen, or is that probably because of the mod I'm running?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Quick question, I have the Chaos Invasion happening in my Mortal Empires campaign. I also have a mod that triples the amount of chaos armies and ups their unit quality so the invasion is a challenge. I now have Archaeon and the other Chaos LL's showing up. I've smacked them down twice so far. The invasion continues.

I remember in W1 the Invasion only ended if you killed all the Chaos stacks on the same turn, along with their LL's. Thing is, Mortal Empires also has the other Chaos factions plus 4 puppet factions, one for each chaos god. Do all of them have to be destroyed at the same time, or at least before I kill the LL's, in order to stop the invasion? I can't tell if the puppet chaos god factions are from a mod or from ME themselves.

Also I ran into a bug where after defeating Archaeon the first time he suddenly declared war on all of Norsca and the puppet chaos god factions. Anyone ever seen that happen, or is that probably because of the mod I'm running?
That sounds like mod fuckery. ME doesnt have "the other Chaos factions plus 4 puppet factions, one for each chaos god"

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That sounds like mod fuckery. ME doesnt have "the other Chaos factions plus 4 puppet factions, one for each chaos god"

Gotcha, I thought it was an nice touch from the mod, made the invasion pretty crazy. But yeah, kinda needs to end now so I can go fight some other factions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

These are cool and good posts with more info. Maybe I should get some Chronicle Omnibuses on the Skaven.

Next Omnibuses I want to pick up are;
- Vampire Wars
- Genevieve (I hear it 's non-canon, but also good, so who cares)
- Gotrek and Felix V3 (Maybe, I hear after King left it the quality dropped)

Having read the series like a zillion times, I honestly kind of prefer the latter Gotrek and Felix novels by Nathan Long to the King ones. The King ones are much better at introducing characters in a punchy way and establishing their character traits in a very memorable way, but once those characters are established, they kind of...spin their wheels, if that makes sense? There's not a lot of forward motion on character arcs. Long is a lot less hesitant to have characters change and develop, especially the Felix/Gotrek relationship - in the King books, Felix is kind of a secondary lackey who follows Gotrek at a remove, whereas by the time of the Long novels it's more of a buddy cop production, if that makes sense.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While doing a multiplayer battle awhile ago I watched as a cannonball killed a knight but left the horse intact to ride off from the battlefield, that is the only time I have ever seen that happen leaving the horse alive without it's rider and didn't know it was possible.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While doing a multiplayer battle awhile ago I watched as a cannonball killed a knight but left the horse intact to ride off from the battlefield, that is the only time I have ever seen that happen leaving the horse alive without it's rider and didn't know it was possible.

I saw that in other titles. In Napoleon, I caught a glimpse of this magnificent display.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zephro posted:

I think GW have been dropping various inconclusive hints that they're connected for many years. There's an old Grombrindal diorama where he's wearing power armour and toting a bolter. And there was some way to get power armour and a bolter as wargear, I think? In some old grognardy edition, or maybe in the official RPG?

So that is where the Squats went.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've seen this happen on occasion in battles. Its pretty neat.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you knock out a lord during battle, does the remainder of his army lose all associated bonuses he was giving them?

Huh, anyone know the answer? I’m also curious about this now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have heard otherwise from some, but yes I needed to have WH1 installed to get the FLC for it installed. Its a pain but worth it.
Actually, an update on this, I was able to get it by just starting a download for WH1, pausing it, and then adding the free DLC off of the Total War official site. Everything worked fine without actually downloading the game beyond 0.001 mb, and I removed the game from my download queue on steam after and it all still worked fine. Good trick if you have a data cap or low storage space on your computer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Riderless horses seem vastly less common in warhammer than in the other TW games. My only guess is that the animators had so much other poo poo to do that that fell by the wayside.

I wish the FLC would just be included on every install. I wouldn't be surprised if people not nerdy enough to check forums or reddit have bought the game but don't even know about the TW Access-locked FLC.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Kanos posted:

Having read the series like a zillion times, I honestly kind of prefer the latter Gotrek and Felix novels by Nathan Long to the King ones. The King ones are much better at introducing characters in a punchy way and establishing their character traits in a very memorable way, but once those characters are established, they kind of...spin their wheels, if that makes sense? There's not a lot of forward motion on character arcs. Long is a lot less hesitant to have characters change and develop, especially the Felix/Gotrek relationship - in the King books, Felix is kind of a secondary lackey who follows Gotrek at a remove, whereas by the time of the Long novels it's more of a buddy cop production, if that makes sense.

That actually is very reassuring, it was kind of getting old a bit in the King novels with Gotrek and Felix seeming to be static.

Also, after my Empire run I'm going to be trying skaven. What are the general tactics to make them successful, especially early-game? I'm very used to factions where you establish a line of melee troops and hold it while gunpowder and archers whittle them down/cavalry swing in from the flanks to rout them. Skaven don't seem to have the infantry for that to work though.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ikit claw: you might say to yourself, "self, this is enough guns in my army" and you would be wrong. Your melee troops are basically just used as a speed bump to slow down advancing enemies while you shower them in bullets and arty fire.

Some general strats are to make a skavenslave army as a decoy and take your real one into ambush on the path between the decoy and your target. Ambush as much as you can, commit warcrimes, profit.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 11, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Doomflayers make a good "front line" for Ikit too. They're nearly immune to friendly fire but can tie up enemy units for your guns.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah as Ikit Claw / Clan Skryre you can win without any melee units:

edit: Here is a link to an old megapost I put together about playing Ikit Claw, because I have played too much Ikit Claw: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=138697&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post499246726

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ikit claw is really a clown car of hilarity. Once I bought that pack that gives you poisoned wind mortars I truly understood Skaven warcrimes (I mean I know, the nukes, but still).
Doomflayers just riding out and doing sick wheelies on the opposition while the rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air is :stonklol:

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 11, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Speaking of nukes I just picked this game back up after a long time away, doing a Brettonia campaign for the first time. I had just gotten my shiny new grail knights and was fighting skryre, it was the first non auto resolve battle and I forgot they always drop their nuke. It all but wiped out two of my grail knights but they stuck with it and ended up routing a couple of gunners by themselves with only 7 or 8 models total left between the two units. Grail knights do not gently caress around.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

While the rest of the game is over here playing Shogun Total War 2, Ikit is playing Fall of the Samurai

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gadzuko posted:

Speaking of nukes I just picked this game back up after a long time away, doing a Brettonia campaign for the first time. I had just gotten my shiny new grail knights and was fighting skryre, it was the first non auto resolve battle and I forgot they always drop their nuke. It all but wiped out two of my grail knights but they stuck with it and ended up routing a couple of gunners by themselves with only 7 or 8 models total left between the two units. Grail knights do not gently caress around.

Theres a reason I keep yelling about ALL GRAIL ALL THE TIME

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

While the rest of the game is over here playing Shogun Total War 2, Ikit is playing Fall of the Samurai

More like WW1, what with machineguns, snipersquads, flamethrowers and liberal use of poison gas. Literally deleting enemy units and the unfortunate clanrats they are fighting with death globes never stops being funny!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Poison wind mortars are great. The RoR version is obscene

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For those playing SFO, what supporting mods do you find work best with it? do you go with faction caps and/or army caps for limiting armies or do you also get the army-cost cap mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ikit Claw is way too powerful against the AI. The AI is already very bad but it can't even come close to handling Ikit Claws ranged stuff