Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
We should just ban CEOs. Problem solved, I'll take my peerage now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
loving hell, Hollyoaks is 25 years old this month.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*5 minutes later* We regret to inform you that Lord Continuity RCP has set up a limited company in England with two unknown private shareholders on the Isle of Man providing £50 in capital each, and has won a £110m contract to provide PPE, something the company has never done.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Continuity RCP posted:

We should just ban CEOs. Problem solved, I'll take my peerage now

Make anyone with assets over X amount subject to Highlander rules. If you can kill them you keep their stuff.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

happyhippy posted:

loving hell, Hollyoaks is 25 years old this month.

Ice Ice Baby is 30

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

Problem is, these are the average CEO wage already.
They get a shitload more in performance bonuses, profit sharing, shares, and other sneaky ways to give themselves more.
Googled my own company, the average exec gets $200k a year.
Then they get $12 million in bonuses.
Fuckers.

Yes, there's a £40,000 'housing allowance' available for the top job here, plus moving allowances if you're so brilliant that we need to lure you in from across the country, instead of employing one of the great unwashed locals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Continuity RCP posted:

Who do I have to bribe to earn 30 grand

Me. Pay me 500k and I'll give you a job paying 30k a year for at least 5 years.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Surely it would be trivial to include bonuses and benefits in a maximum wage? I would personally link the max wage at a company to whatever the lowest paid employee makes

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Just combine income and capital gains into one singular tax allowance, 99% rate anything above idk ... 300k?

I'm sure there's problems with that and people selling second homes etc, but I do not care about people selling second homes 🤷‍♂️

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Not sure where to post this.

The Watch first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHCHMGSBQ0

I would have said 'Terry Prattchet's The Watch' but it has very little resemblance.
The down votes on it is climbing.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

happyhippy posted:

The Watch first trailer:

I would have said 'Terry Prattchet's The Watch' but it has very little resemblance.

That looks loving terrible

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

The Watch first trailer:

I knew they were going to gently caress it. They always do. Don't even think it's a style of writing that makes for great adaptations tbh.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Failed Imagineer posted:

I knew they were going to gently caress it. They always do. Don't even think it's a style of writing that makes for great adaptations tbh.

I personally liked some of the miniseries they did a few years ago

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Guavanaut posted:

I think some of the incels say it :v:

Every loving spherebrain making either/both the "big trans boxers with beards beating women is legal now" and "I'm not transphobic, I just want a nuanced debate" claims should have a full printed copy of Shades of Gray thrown at them. It's the most nuanced loving thing I've ever read on the 'trans debate' re sports, extensive citations, written by a doctor/lifter with a Master of Science in Anatomy and Physiology, takes no sides, and offers multiple possible resolutions.

They won't read it, because they want the debate to be 'trans people, do they exist or are they just men cosplaying' rather than anything approaching observable reality.

Have finally finished reading through this and it's an insanely good article.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I really like Guards Guards. Oh well.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

happyhippy posted:

The Watch first trailer:

God, this is awful. Why all the synth audio and bright pink text? Why the bright pink lightning storm introduction followed by loads of action scenes and fast cuts when you're scene-setting for a very well characterised medievalish world which is at least 95% taking the piss?

It feels like if a pirates of the caribbean ripoff had sex with suicide squad. Hard pass.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I have a lot of nostalgia for the cosgrave hall cartoon adaptations but I don't think there's ever been a really good Discworld tv show. The Sky ones had high production value but they felt very off to me, I remember Hogfather had really weird pacing where important parts of the story felt skipped over

(GOOD omens was rather good and the CH truckers adaptation is perfect IMO, however those are not discworld )

The trailer puts me in mind of BBC America's Dirk Gently 'adaptation', which I ended up quite enjoying (despite Max Landis's involvement). It was Absolutely nothing like the books in setting character or just about anything. It took the core idea of a 'holistic detective' and nothing else at all. It was weird and naff but also kinda compelling. The second series was really good imo.

Hoping that the Watch ends up being its own neat thing too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's pretty clear they're only taking the vaguest of inspiration from Pratchett so I can deal with the, er, "unusual" casting

but what the gently caress is with an actual loving mic'ed and amp'ed up rock band on the loving Discworld

winegums posted:

God, this is awful. Why all the synth audio and bright pink text? Why the bright pink lightning storm introduction followed by loads of action scenes and fast cuts when you're scene-setting for a very well characterised medievalish world which is at least 95% taking the piss?

the fifty-thousand-frames-a-second trailer is the kind of thing studios do for comic-cons so that people can slow the footage down and explain in excruciating detail why this specific tree which can be seen in the very top left of the picture for approximately 0.01 seconds is actually a reference to one of the original series run of (whatever IP the thing happens to be based on), aren't I so very clever and a much bigger fan than all of you plebs

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 9, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

winegums posted:

Because that was what punk was like, back then.
Punk was all neon and fashionably stylish clothes., like Flock of Seagulls.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
This is the series being run because they’ve got the rights, not because anyone involved with Pterry wanted it made. Show runner did a massive thank you and acknowledgment post recently that pointedly didn’t reference anyone involved in writing the loving thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It would absolutely have been possible to NOT gently caress it too. Vis, good omens.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It looks and feels from the trailer like the bad will smith movie with elves and trolls in it. Gritty fantasy.

Discworld is the archetypical low fantasy setting, the setting IS the story. Without the setting the problems and motivations that the characters experience fade away.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Pratchett's style is an inner monologue most of the time.
So in this case, make Vimes the narrator of the whole thing, and have him wax exposition setting up the characters and world around him.
Mix in his own words of wisdom, like feet feeling street cobbles, views on politics, etc.
Mr. Robot style but with dragons and actual loving dwarves.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I think it looks interesting, if nothing to do with Discworld beyond character names.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

thespaceinvader posted:

It would absolutely have been possible to NOT gently caress it too. Vis, good omens.

Good Omens was Jacksons LotR level of adapting books to screen, that show was great. Like a huge narrative thing in Lord of the Rings is the implication that Middle Earth is good and worth saving so they filmed in the most beautiful places and did those amazing expansive wide shots to really hammer that home, Good Omens has a huge narrative thing that people are basically idiot flawed dorks but are still good and worth saving so they gave all the characters room to breathe and express and make you like them; Good Omens the show might actually be better than Good Omens the book and it's a really good book.

I dunno if they've necessarily hosed up Pratchett with that, aside from the grandpa-round-the-campfire authorial voice I don't think there's anything special about Discworld that could really be ruined tbh.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

I really like Guards Guards. Oh well.

Year of the Rabbit, while not a fantasy series, almost perfectly captured the feel of Guards, Guards IMHO

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Welp, it’s done: seems like Lowtax is out now for good.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/RealSardonicus/status/1314486097372745728

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's some heavy bullshit involved in Marcus Rashford being put forward for the Queen's Birthday Honours, despite him being castigated by various Tories over his views about food poverty.

He seems like a good guy, so it won't affect my view of him (which I'm sure he'll be thrilled about), but I'd really like him to reject the MBE on the basis of "gently caress the Tories".

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and tell the queen she is a mad old bag too

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Pratchett I think is really unsuited for direct adaptation and honestly doesn't really need to be remade as TV/film/whatever, so I would rather they make something only loosely connected

possibly related: I preferred the messy, anarchic Kirby covers to the newer anodyne Kidby ones and this show's aesthetic seems to be more in that vein

CancerCakes posted:

Discworld is the archetypical low fantasy setting, the setting IS the story. Without the setting the problems and motivations that the characters experience fade away.

whut

remember the neon electric sign from Guards Guards that existed entirely to make Vimes a noir detective pastiche

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Going Postal miniseries was really good, but that’s about it for decent Discworld adaptations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Welp, it’s done: seems like Lowtax is out now for good.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kingturnip posted:

There's some heavy bullshit involved in Marcus Rashford being put forward for the Queen's Birthday Honours, despite him being castigated by various Tories over his views about food poverty.

He seems like a good guy, so it won't affect my view of him (which I'm sure he'll be thrilled about), but I'd really like him to reject the MBE on the basis of "gently caress the Tories".
I remember seeing a story a couple of months ago about how the government was going to investigate the tax status of footballers as a whole, so it wouldn't shock me if we're about to find out how Marcus Rashford is dodging taxes.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Lt. Danger posted:

Pratchett I think is really unsuited for direct adaptation and honestly doesn't really need to be remade as TV/film/whatever, so I would rather they make something only loosely connected

possibly related: I preferred the messy, anarchic Kirby covers to the newer anodyne Kidby ones and this show's aesthetic seems to be more in that vein

whut

remember the neon electric sign from Guards Guards that existed entirely to make Vimes a noir detective pastiche

Kidby does gorgeous work, but mad same about Kirby's covers, those were so detailed and weird and fit the setting really well. Shame they told them what 'foureyes' actually meant, that was a real trip when I first realized why that one character had an extra set of eyeballs on the cover.

Regarding Vimes specifically, he appeared in Discworld Noir (the 1999 adventure game starring Rob Brydon) and I remembered from when I played it years ago that the portrayal felt really off, like he had this weedyness to him and a certain kind of stuckupedness, he felt more like a snooty british army officer than a down to earth street policeman. I vaguely recalled that the portrayal was said to have the personal approval of Pterry himself and when I went to look up where I got that notion the first thing I found out was Terry Pratchett actually voiced the fucker.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Anyone else notice the "Search this thread" box at the top of the page and realise this meant the taxman was gone before ever seeing the announcement?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Cool, now I no longer have to worry that Lowtax'll drunkenly shut down the site or something one day.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Make anyone with assets over X amount subject to Highlander rules. If you can kill them you keep their stuff.

Given the political language is comprised entirely of backstabbing this idea doesn't seem practical.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Discworld adaptations I reckon need to be played broadly straight, but with a sardonic streak gently woven in. The Sky adaptations were far too whimsical, and they couldn't have gotten Rincewind much more wrong. He's meant to be relatively young, quick-witted and cowardly, so of course they made him old, slow and confused, and occasionally shown to be enjoying himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone else notice the "Search this thread" box at the top of the page and realise this meant the taxman was gone before ever seeing the announcement?

It's like when they have a jubilee when the new monarch is crowned, giving out search access to the plebians