Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

you could sit in the evga queue, which has basically not moved at all since they announced it. so there is that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cygni posted:

you could sit in the evga queue, which has basically not moved at all since they announced it. so there is that!

Hey now, 10s of people have gotten cards

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Already in but I got in late so I'm gonna be the 2023 batch probably.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

AirRaid posted:

All this talk about potentially sub standard power delivery from old PSUs is making me glad I was forced to update mine.

Same.

Went from 6 year old bronze non modular to an 850 evga T2

At the time I though “being able to get this soon” was way more valuable but I regret nothing.

The quality difference was hilarious and markup from normal retail was almost nothing.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

AirRaid posted:

All this talk about potentially sub standard power delivery from old PSUs is making me glad I was forced to update mine.

Funny thing is, I got this 600w in January. I just didn't realize I'd probably need more than 600w because it was never an issue

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Internet Explorer posted:

They are selling FEs through Best Buy, so they at least still technically exist. I think some folks in the Discord got some from BB today.

Lots of people on the discord and hundreds on Reddit scored today.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

pyrotek posted:

Increasing the render scale should help with the clarity more than reduce the jaggies. I agree the TAA solution in the game is very effective.

If you don't mind, give it a shot and let me know how it works! One day in the theoretical future where they are in stock, I'd like to get a 3080, and MSFS @ 1440 is one of the big reasons for me to upgrade.

@ 1440p

It's weird, in MSI Afterburner's RTSS output it says my average framerate was 95+ for the one on High settings, but the frametimes are super erratic. CapFrameX captures frametime data from RTSS, and CapFrameX sees the frametimes as far less erratic than Afterburner, but CapFrameX also sees the frametimes being much longer. I'm not sure what's going on.

Even though GPU usage wasn't maxed in either scenario, High + increased texture settings looks very good and is subjectively a lot smoother. I might just bump the world detail to soak up excess GPU.

I'll try and play around with it some more later. The HOTAS I got in the mail today was defective.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

Hey now, 10s of people have gotten cards

Hello

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The reddit discord for people who are looking for these cards has 11,153 people in it and 512 confirmed orders... soooo....

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

They are selling FEs through Best Buy, so they at least still technically exist. I think some folks in the Discord got some from BB today.

This means gently caress all for the UK and EU buddy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Hearing all this 1000W stuff makes me feel nervous.
Is my HX850 enough?

I have the HX750i and also get +150MHz on the core on the 3080 FE. I can actually put it through benchmarks successfully at +200MHz but it does crash in some games.

OC Scanner gives stable results with the post-launch drivers too, and it found an average +142MHz increase on the core for me, so I got it pretty close with a flat +150.

Dude putting +700 on the memory: you should check with OC Scanner and then validate through repeated benchmark runs. I could put +600MHz on my memory and not get performance degradation, but once I overclocked the core I found that +200MHz on the memory and +600MHz on the memory gave pretty much identical scores when averaged over multiple runs. OC Scanner recommends +200MHz and I'm guessing the driver knows when the memory encounters error detection or not (whereas we have to guess through benchmark regressions).

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

EngineerJoe posted:

The reddit discord for people who are looking for these cards has 11,153 people in it and 512 confirmed orders... soooo....

A lot of people left without confirming I think

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I solved my "some of my fans aren't pwm" problem today.

The corsair 4000D airflow can fit 3 a12x25s on the front :getin:

I'm tired of my 450D having "dust filters" in its front intake that have left my exhaust radiator filthy. Its time to join the glorious modern world of no 5.25 drive bays.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any clue where BB ships from?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

EngineerJoe posted:

Not saying they aren't crazy scarce but there's definitely going to be a tendency for people who got the cards to just drop out of groups meant to help get cards so stats like that probably paint a bleaker picture even than the reality.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There are also a ton of idle people in any discord. That was by no means 11,153 people trying to hit up each and every drop. The number of active people at any given point would be a very small minority.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Where are you even supposed to confirm you got a card in that Discord? I just left it today after getting an order on 10/1

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Pivo posted:

I'll try and play around with it some more later.

Right. So I have. Here's a better run. I think having a moving map popped out was interfering with frametime capture.

GPU usage remains far below 100%. I don't think it necessarily scales like that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Heh.

ASUS not only took graphics cards completely off their own storefront, trying to *search* for "3080" gets you a 403 error.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pivo posted:

Right. So I have. Here's a better run. I think having a moving map popped out was interfering with frametime capture.

GPU usage remains far below 100%. I don't think it necessarily scales like that.

What’s the res for these?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

1024x768.

It’s a crazy game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's little reason for you to be running such a low res. MSFS is a DX11 game that's bottlenecked badly by draw calls, which means that you're being heavily bottlenecked by something that doesn't scale with resolution. It's basically Crysis/Oblivion levels of being badly bottlenecked by a single CPU core in a way that doesn't scale for poo poo. It'll probably run dramatically faster if they ever get around to a DX12 version.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:dance:

I already have my 3080 but im going to keep buying until demand dies down

I have an xc3 or ftw ultra in the notify list from 9/17. Who wants it when it becomes available and which one?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 10, 2020

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I'll take the ultra if I don't manage to snag one by then. I didn't get on the notify list until recently when they posted about the queue system. And discord's haven't done poo poo for me. Too slow.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I’ll buy the ftw

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fauxtool posted:

I have an xc3 or ftw ultra in the notify list from 9/17. Who wants it when it becomes available and which one?

I'd nab that XC3 off you if I haven't gotten my own by then, absolutely.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

I'd nab that XC3 off you if I haven't gotten my own by then, absolutely.

DrDork, as a long time poster of the gpu thread and seemingly chill dude you will get my 3080 xc3 for the nominal fee of $100, the same price i charged the last chill goon

That is unless "animal" shows up to claim it in lets say 24 hours from now because he asked nicely for my next card on oct1st. Im pretty sure FEs are dropping tonight so who know maybe you both get them soon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fauxtool posted:

DrDork, as a long time poster of the gpu thread and seemingly chill dude you will get my 3080 xc3 for the nominal fee of $100, the same price i charged the last chill goon

That is unless "animal" shows up to claim it in lets say 24 hours from now because he asked nicely for my next card on oct1st. Im pretty sure FEs are dropping tonight so who know maybe you both get them soon.

Seems fair to me.

If you manage to nab another FE I'd be interested in that over the XC3, honestly.

e; where did you see FE's possibly dropping? BB already had their drop earlier today, and NVidia lol'ed out of their own storefront.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2020

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

What makes you think there’s an FE drop tonight?

Thanks for remembering me, he can have it. I have the three non-FTW cards on notify from 9/16. One’s for me and the other two are for two friends building new rigs. But any other cards I manage to buy are going to Goons ITT, and I may be willing to trade an Evga for a FE card if anyone is willing (I like the aesthetic)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because they have been dropping weekly on weekday nights since launch and there hasnt been one this week

If you have 3 on notify you have to choose one. I dont think you will be able to get 3 from what I read

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think EVGA said the XC3 emails were starting next week.

Fauxtool posted:

because they have been dropping weekly on weekday nights since launch and there hasnt been one this week

They did it today using Best Buy’s system.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rolo posted:

They did it today using Best Buy’s system.

kind of but not really. It didnt seem like a drop the same size as before.
maybe they are taking a break and fulfilling retailer orders for bit, who knows.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I hope there’s another drop soon because every one gives another finger to the rear end hats trying to get 1500+ for a 3080FE on eBay.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rolo posted:

Sorry, I said it before, it's 1440p.

MarcusSA posted:

1024x768.

It’s a crazy game.

lol

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt see the official statement from nvidia RE:bestbuy. You were right, that was the drop and it was terrible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rolo posted:

I think EVGA said the XC3 emails were starting next week.

Yeah, I think I saw a tweet from that EVGA_Jacob guy to that effect.

The reddit queue tracking spreadsheet is pretty lol-worthy though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Translation: "We care about you cute little end-users, but we care about getting product out to our distributors/wholesalers WAY more."

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Rolo posted:

Lots of people on the discord and hundreds on Reddit scored today.

So that raises your chance of scoring one at 5% now? Maybe 10% if you're sitting on discord all day?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

To be fair, the spreadsheet is probably what 10% of people in the queue? 5%? Less? It is certainly not a majority i dont think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

To be fair, the spreadsheet is probably what 10% of people in the queue? 5%? Less? It is certainly not a majority i dont think.

it is like the discord survey where everyone who got a card already left, people are just looking for a reason to rage about shortages. It is the same situation as with Pascal.

cards are moving pretty well now and will continue to move over the next two months, they will be easier to get ahold of during the Christmas season and supply should match up to demand in January, Jensen’s statement is unsurprising and that’s basically been my predicted timeline all along

Much like Pascal this is the worst launch ever and then in two years the next one will be the worst launch ever too.