Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Cant top their treatment of their own wrestlers during a plague. Its so far off the chart it tops a Saudi show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
CMLL had a covid out break among their entire roster including the head booker and still ran a bunch of shows in a row

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Naito has been incredible lately and if he keeps it up he should be a lock for Wrestler of the Year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Most Outstanding has got to be Suzuki for me. This year he's had the Moxley feud, the Nagata feud, the Shingo feud and he's one of the standouts in A block. Every time he gets in the ring you know you're going to see something special.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

With most of the year done I've got to say that NOSAWA has best booker on lockdown. On top of everything else in the promotion this year, the N1 was fantastically booked.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

CMLL had a covid out break among their entire roster including the head booker and still ran a bunch of shows in a row

And I still have it second to WWE releasing a bunch of talent during the pandemic while making record profits

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

And I still have it second to WWE releasing a bunch of talent during the pandemic while making record profits

Or WWE getting dozens of their wrestlers infected on two non consecutive occasions. The CMLL stuff is very bad, but they took 6 months off and came back irresponsibly, but at least in their case they didn't cause the outbreaks.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i had shingo as most outstanding but after the last couple months i'm going with suzuki. he's just the absolute best

the other category i'm waffling on is best tag team - i think ftr is in my top 3, but they need to have a couple more killer matches before i commit to them as number 1. if the best friends match and (assuming it happens this year) the young bucks match deliver i'll probably give it to them

most disgusting promotional tactic is absolutely still wwe completely ignoring speaking out. velveteen dream still being on tv in a featured role is loving disgusting

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think Tony Khan is still probably best booker.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Dudebro posted:

i had shingo as most outstanding but after the last couple months i'm going with suzuki. he's just the absolute best

the other category i'm waffling on is best tag team - i think ftr is in my top 3, but they need to have a couple more killer matches before i commit to them as number 1. if the best friends match and (assuming it happens this year) the young bucks match deliver i'll probably give it to them

most disgusting promotional tactic is absolutely still wwe completely ignoring speaking out. velveteen dream still being on tv in a featured role is loving disgusting

The revelation that they cancelled bookings on Candy Cartwright explicitly because of her past with Matt Riddle might be the October surprise needed to beat out them causing dozens of their wrestlers and employees to get COVID.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pylons posted:

I think Tony Khan is still probably best booker.

I think you're right. Having EVIL win the title in maybe one of the only IWGP Heavyweight title matches to get WMOTY nominations only to drop it like a month or so later back to Naito pushes Gedo down several notches.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LionYeti posted:

I think you're right. Having EVIL win the title in maybe one of the only IWGP Heavyweight title matches to get WMOTY nominations only to drop it like a month or so later back to Naito pushes Gedo down several notches.

making Hiromu, arguably their most popular wrestlers, lose in multiple high profile matches in a row makes him look bad too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Khan would be winning Best Booker even if Gedo hadn't fumbled a bunch of stuff that he is currently still fumbling. AEW's booking has been so great and they've navigated Covid pretty much flawlessly. That Gedo has messed up EVIL and Hiromu so much this year and made a bunch of other truly questionable decisions only means Khan won it in like, June, rather than November.

KungFu Grip posted:

making Hiromu, arguably their most popular wrestlers, lose in multiple high profile matches in a row makes him look bad too

That Sengoku Lord match is so wack in retrospect. Hiromu gets a title shot and loses it but EVIL needs to cheat his rear end off to beat the Jr. Heavyweight Champ so it's not like the match made him look good at all either. It was so pointless. It did nothing for either guy.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 10, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Using Hiromu to draw good crowds and go to to toe with heavyweights was a good move and Hiromu is an even bigger star than ever.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The historical-inspired booking was so loving funny, but even I wanted to believe that's what Gedo was going for.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Using Hiromu to draw good crowds and go to to toe with heavyweights was a good move and Hiromu is an even bigger star than ever.

Then's he went back to the Jr division to lose his jr title and lose in another jr title shot, then has been cooled down on by not being in the G1 climax to hang with the heavyweights again in the year he make a very anticipated returned to wrestling for. njpw going on hiatus for heath issues not counting for eating most his return year up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Then's he went back to the Jr division to lose his jr title and lose in another jr title shot, then has been cooled down on by not being in the G1 climax to hang with the heavyweights again in the year he make a very anticipated returned to wrestling for. njpw going on hiatus for heath issues not counting for eating most his return year up.

And who cares? Imagine at this point thinking that a couple of losses really effect LiJ members especially the two most popular and charismatic ones. This summer showed the fans see him as a big deal. He will still be huge after the G1. The title shot against EVIL and the title loss were both very well done and he didn't come off as less of a star.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

Losing the belt to Ishimori was fine, there was a story and the match loving ruled but. Briefly moving up to heavyweight just to lose and then vanish for the duration of the G1 feels pretty wack, but he's probably turn around and win the BOSJ.

But like, at the end of the day, he's still just a Jr. fighting for the Jr. belt, which they're never gonna push at the same level as the HW belts, regardless of how over Hiromu gets. They teased the idea that he can fight Heavyweights, but it's probably not gonna go anywhere now that they have the gaijin back and the loss didn't even put EVIL over because of all the cheating.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

And who cares? Imagine at this point thinking that a couple of losses really effect LiJ members especially the two most popular and charismatic ones. This summer showed the fans see him as a big deal. He will still be huge after the G1. The title shot against EVIL and the title loss were both very well done and he didn't come off as less of a star.

I care? This is literally all opinions on booking and I think its bad booking and a waste of Hiromu Takahashi and more proof of how lazy Gedo is in booking titles and divisions that aren't the main heavyweight title division. If other people who vote on the awards think squandering Hiromu's star power and pushing him back down the card as just another Jr heavyweight instead of an Ace of the division like we have seen Gedo do to other pet projects like Okada, then that's their opinion and reasoning for bumping Gedo down for the Best Booker Award.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I care? This is literally all opinions on booking and I think its bad booking and a waste of Hiromu Takahashi and more proof of how lazy Gedo is in booking titles and divisions that aren't the main heavyweight title division. If other people who vote on the awards think squandering Hiromu's star power and pushing him back down the card as just another Jr heavyweight instead of an Ace of the division like we have seen Gedo do to other pet projects like Okada, then that's their opinion and reasoning for bumping Gedo down for the Best Booker Award.

Except he hasn't squandered his star power. He literally used it this summer. He's booked Hiromu great, the guy is a huge star and gets a lot of time to shine. The way the IWGP title match was booked shows how much he wanted to protect him because he's important.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Except he hasn't squandered his star power. He literally used it this summer. He's booked Hiromu great, the guy is a huge star and gets a lot of time to shine. The way the IWGP title match was booked shows how much he wanted to protect him because he's important.

What's the point of protecting him if he just goes right back to the Jr. Heavyweight division and doesn't keep fighting heavyweights, though?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

What's the point of protecting him if he just goes right back to the Jr. Heavyweight division and doesn't keep fighting heavyweights, though?

Because they spent the 2 years before Hiromu's injury trying to make the Junior title something that could semi main big shows or main event smaller shows and have really been building up stuff like BOTSJ too. So they want him to be that junior ace, but also put him with heavyweights sometime. Especially since the Naito match couldn't happen because of COVID.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s a shame no wrestling company can book more than one title as important at any one time. Even the TNT title is clearly 1A compared to Big Plat. There’s no real reason why the Jr Heavyweight title can’t be just as important as the big one.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LionYeti posted:

I don't think Gedo thinks about MOTY nominations when he books the biggest drawing wrestling company of 2020.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Because they spent the 2 years before Hiromu's injury trying to make the Junior title something that could semi main big shows or main event smaller shows and have really been building up stuff like BOTSJ too. So they want him to be that junior ace, but also put him with heavyweights sometime. Especially since the Naito match couldn't happen because of COVID.

If they let Hiromu main event shows as Jr. Heavyweight champion, I'll never bitch about his booking again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

If they let Hiromu main event shows as Jr. Heavyweight champion, I'll never bitch about his booking again.

My friend he just did! Thankfully you can no longer bitch about his booking since I am quoting this before you edit it to say what you meant "in a junior heavyweight title defense."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kinda want to say Cobb for most improved for his G1 run this year over last year but from what some people say the G1 last year was an outlier?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kinda want to say Cobb for most improved for his G1 run this year over last year but from what some people say the G1 last year was an outlier?

He's someone who can definitely be kind of boring at times but that G1 was especially boring for him.

But this G1 is definitely better than what I'd expect from him overall! I don't think he's shown as much improvement as Taichi who is really just firing on all cylinders.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Taichi can't be most improved because he's always been great

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm still on the Page train. Yeehaw, etc.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Page has legit gone from one of the most boring dudes to a wrestler that I literally cannot get enough of.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i was looking at rookies or who i assume are rookies because of will hobbs.

will hobbs is not a rookie

he's been doing this 11 years

Abadon and Anna Jay are though

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
yoshi-hashi.

thunder rosa feels like she just keeps getting better specially since from when she debuted in lucha underground as kobra moon which was so bad they regulated her to a manager

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jungle Boy won it last year when he clearly wasn't a rookie so who the gently caress even knows anymore

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Benne posted:

Jungle Boy won it last year when he clearly wasn't a rookie so who the gently caress even knows anymore

Jake Atlas was robbed last year... which is an odd thing to say because he didn't even get top ten in voting. It was like Jake Atlas was clearly the rookie of the year for maybe the first six months then WWE signed him and he vanished into thin air to the point everyone forgot he existed.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. JUNGLE BOY 249
2. Karl Fredericks 219
3. Cain Velasquez 64
4. Clark Connors 36
5. Kris Statlander 26
6. Strong Machine J 24
7. Private Party 12
7. Marko Stunt 12
9. Alex Coughlin 11

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I don't think Gedo thinks about MOTY nominations when he books the biggest drawing wrestling company of 2020.

It's more the match was overbooked horseshit that usually doesn't happen in IWGP heavyweight title matches.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hayato Tamura is still the dude for rookie of the year. There's a reason he's main eventing ZERO1's big war crimes shrine show with less than thirty matches under his belt and having his dumbass trainer embarrassing him by showing up and making a scene at shows.

TAKA's other big rookie prospect Maika probably has more of a chance cos I imagine more of the voter base actually watch Stardom. Saya Kamitami will probably get more buzz as a Stardom rookie though cos she's flashier and I mean sure there's not many other wrestlers pulling out Phoenix Splashes on big shows one year into their career.

It'll probably end up being one of the AEW or NJoA guys who aren't even rookies again tbh. Jungle Boy and Karl Fredericks top two is pretty funny.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

ZERO1's big war crimes shrine show

The what now?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

They do a show at the Yasukuni Shrine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

They do a show at the Yasukuni Shrine

ugh