Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

What's a decent launcher these days? I've prodded at a few and I think I like GDLauncher most but for all I know there's a huge and important one out there used by 90% of the playerbase I have no clue about.

GDLauncher is the new hotness, as Twitch is divesting itself of Curseforge entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

What's a decent launcher these days? I've prodded at a few and I think I like GDLauncher most but for all I know there's a huge and important one out there used by 90% of the playerbase I have no clue about.

I think a large chunk of the userbase is going to switch to GDLauncher, since curseforge got handed to Overwolf, which is bad.

GDLauncher seems pretty okay, I just wish it notified me of modpack updates.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Arigatou goons, I'll stick with GDL then :)

e; This was asked at the end of the last page and actually we're thinking of doing a modded world on our family server as well so if anyone could answer the Mapgoons kudasai

Demiurge4 posted:

Mapgoons have been running a server for a few weeks and it's pretty popular with a bunch of first time players. We ended up on Mechs and Magic Lite for the first foray but now we're shopping around for another multiplayer friendly pack and looking for suggestions.

We're looking to build a player city next time around instead of scattering to the four winds and decorative mods are in. We're probably ditching Thaumcraft 6 :rip: in order to move to a newer version of the game so if anyone knows of good packs for 1.16 or maybe a little earlier that'd be greatly appreciated!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 22, 2020

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Twitch is what basically everyone uses. Use MultiMC if you want to not deal with it and/or have easier control of your packs.

Twitch is... Well, twitch, but it works well enough and has basically every pack.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Taffer posted:

Twitch is what basically everyone uses. Use MultiMC if you want to not deal with it and/or have easier control of your packs.

Twitch is... Well, twitch, but it works well enough and has basically every pack.

You should stop using twitch, for reasons stated earlier in the thread.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Patware posted:

Counterpoint: don't stop using it, it's fine

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any reason why I'm unable to provide more than ~5.3 gigabytes of RAM to MC via the Twitch launcher even though I have both the game-wide RAM and the modpack-specific RAM set to 6GB? The little loading bar at the beginning never has more than a ~5300 MB total. Is there another place I should be setting it?

Patware posted:

Okay, well, then...What's Overwolf? Why is Twitch getting rid of Curseforge?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Pollyanna posted:

Any reason why I'm unable to provide more than ~5.3 gigabytes of RAM to MC via the Twitch launcher even though I have both the game-wide RAM and the modpack-specific RAM set to 6GB? The little loading bar at the beginning never has more than a ~5300 MB total. Is there another place I should be setting it?
Is this with a recent version of Forge? It looks like at some point (1.14ish?) they switched from showing it based on 'maximum total memory' to 'maximum available heap memory', which will always be lower than the total because of overhead for various things.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, well, then...What's Overwolf? Why is Twitch getting rid of Curseforge?

Overwolf is a moderately sketchy overlay and addons service for a lot of games, which Twitch sold Curseforge to because reasons probably involving not making fat stacks.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I'm super uncomfortable with an overlay that proudly announces it's recording my screen at all times for those sick "kill cams"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
When overwolf actually has it's own program for curseforge up and running I'll drop that like a hot potato but twitch is still fine right now.

dragonshardz posted:

Overwolf is a moderately sketchy overlay and addons service for a lot of games, which Twitch sold Curseforge to because reasons probably involving not making fat stacks.

Probably they figured it already got people to download the twitch launcher which was the thing they actually wanted out of it, so now they don't need it anymore.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I had an urge to play an environment survival modpack and loaded up Crash on Kepler 10b, and... wow, this is a bit much. You're on a desert planet so of course it's hot, and you start dying shortly from it being too hot, but thankfully there's some water you can find and stand in and it cools you down enough you stop dying. Except then night falls. You don't start with a torch or anything, so I guess you're supposed to sieve up some cobble to make a furnace on the first day?!

Or just die once overnight. It took me three days while rushing cobble to get a furnace, so that's two nights where I froze to death.

And my second tree didn't give me a sapling, but despite enabling cheats in my world JEI won't let me turn cheat mode on? What kind of fuckery is this? The mod that puts text in the bottom right for every sound effect is getting on my nerves too.
(okay, that's not a mod, for some reason the modpack sets subtitles on by default)

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 1, 2020

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I had an urge to play an environment survival modpack and loaded up Crash on Kepler 10b, and... wow, this is a bit much. You're on a desert planet so of course it's hot, and you start dying shortly from it being too hot, but thankfully there's some water you can find and stand in and it cools you down enough you stop dying. Except then night falls. You don't start with a torch or anything, so I guess you're supposed to sieve up some cobble to make a furnace on the first day?!

Or just die once overnight. It took me three days while rushing cobble to get a furnace, so that's two nights where I froze to death.

And my second tree didn't give me a sapling, but despite enabling cheats in my world JEI won't let me turn cheat mode on? What kind of fuckery is this? The mod that puts text in the bottom right for every sound effect is getting on my nerves too.
(okay, that's not a mod, for some reason the modpack sets subtitles on by default)

V I S I O N

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

McFrugal posted:

Something about recent packs require you to open your game to lan to enable cheats, and this + the cheats need to be redone every time for stuff like mob griefing.
Otherwise you have to download a program top edit a file in that world.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The thing that made me give up on Sevtech Sky was it still has that part where you essentially have auto-jump but without being able to turn it off until you advance enough. I get what they wanted to do with it, but the solution was to make food more available, not remove game options, and being on sky islands means it has actually zero point except to make it easier for you to fall off.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OgNar posted:

Something about recent packs require you to open your game to lan to enable cheats, and this + the cheats need to be redone every time for stuff like mob griefing.
Otherwise you have to download a program top edit a file in that world.

You can also change the world settings on creation to allow cheats

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

dragonshardz posted:

You can also change the world settings on creation to allow cheats

I've done that for the last 2 modpacks i've tried and cheats still didn't work unless it was opened to lan.

I don't know what it is about the modpacks that is changing it, but its rather irritating.

e: to be clear, you can also do mob griefing disable fire etc from map creation, but some packs are still somehow disabling that.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 2, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OgNar posted:

I've done that for the last 2 modpacks i've tried and cheats still didn't work unless it was opened to lan.

I don't know what it is about the modpacks that is changing it, but its rather irritating.

e: to be clear, you can also do mob griefing disable fire etc from map creation, but some packs are still somehow disabling that.

Play better packs, I guess?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

OgNar posted:

I think it's the Lockdown mod. It's made to allow forcing world generation to be loaded from a template, but I think if the modpack author includes a level.dat, it overrides cheat mode and game mode.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

OgNar posted:

I really wish you could set something like mobGriefing globally on your computer or account. I don't ever want to deal with creepers blowing holes in the landscape, let me set that once and never deal with it again!

Actually I would like the return of the old CreeperHeal mod that would regenerate the blocks taken out by creepers, but I have the suspicion that repairing pipe networks or parts of multiblocks would be an incredible strain on the engine so I've given up on that dream.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I really wish you could set something like mobGriefing globally on your computer or account. I don't ever want to deal with creepers blowing holes in the landscape, let me set that once and never deal with it again!

Actually I would like the return of the old CreeperHeal mod that would regenerate the blocks taken out by creepers, but I have the suspicion that repairing pipe networks or parts of multiblocks would be an incredible strain on the engine so I've given up on that dream.

I don't think that would be much of a strain at all.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I got further in Crash on Kepler 10b, found a broken quest in the questbook (it needed to ignore NBT), edited it to fix it, and then noticed my health was stuck at half a heart missing. Eating did not regenerate it, but still consumed hunger. So something is game-breakingly broken.
e: Turns out it's my thirst meter. Also, for some reason, water bottles cause the thirst debuff.
...the thirst meter problem is on by default from the Tough Expansion mod, despite that not having to do with what the mod is supposed to add. Tough Expansion is meant to be an RF-related addon to Tough as Nails, it isn't supposed to change how TaN works goddamn it! It's not even implemented correctly. If regen was disabled from low thirst, then hunger shouldn't go down!

On a different note, I figured out you're not supposed to rush cobble to survive the night. All you have to do is get a bunch of string via silkworm trees then make wool armor and wear at least three pieces, which is much easier. So, this modpack isn't actually that bad if you know how to deal with TaN, it's just... got some broken parts you have to fix.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 4, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Funny, 'Figure out surviving the first day' and 'Understand how TaN works' are the hardest parts of Forever Stranded too.

Spoiler: enclose your spaces.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

McFrugal posted:

On a different note, I figured out you're not supposed to rush cobble to survive the night. All you have to do is get a bunch of string via silkworm trees then make wool armor and wear at least three pieces, which is much easier.

This is peak Minecraft mod maker logic right here. I'm freezing to death, should I:

A: Start a fire.

OR

B: Grow trees to feed silkworms which produce string I can spin into wool which will let me knit a sweater.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
Thinking about jumping back into modded Minecraft after about a year hiatus. Are there any good modpacks that have come out recently that goons recommend? My usual go to is SevTech Ages because I like the sense of progression it has, and you don't get overwhelmed with a million modded items at once. Are there any similar modpacks where you start off learning a few mods, and the world and technology gradually expands?

tonberrykng fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 4, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well. Crash on kepler 10b is definitely not a good modpack. I got to the porcelain melter part of the questbook and it says to make seared stone by melting cobble. Except... that's not enabled in the configs; in fact the porcelain melter seems to be completely inoperable because the heater won't accept any fuel.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Do people not even play their own modpacks?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Apparently not this one; but it's not gamebreaking since you can still make grout. That's not disabled in the configs. Maybe the porcelain melter part of the questbook was from an earlier version and it just wasn't removed?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I've never enjoyed using the melter in any pack it's been used in. Just a time waster where I have to babysit it slowly melting one thing at a time while I work on the big smelter. The fact that it's usually just a time stretching stepping stone to the larger superior version and I know what's coming next makes it that much more painful.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I always thought finding enough clay for and then smelting up 2+ stacks of grout was enough of a time sink, I can't imagine needing more than that. There's a reason the first thing I do for Tinker's is make a minimum size smeltery and automate putting a dozen stacks of cobble through it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
SIGH, found another broken part of the modpack. If you eat a Cyclic heart container while your hunger meter is full, you won't regenerate until your hunger meter depletes past full.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Why are you still... playing it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patware posted:

Why are you still... playing it

Like I said I wanted some environmental survival, and while there are definitely some broken bits they are easy to work around.
I looked ahead to see what it'd cost to make a rocket, and... I am worried about titanium. The configs imply it spawns in the nether, but JEI doesn't give me an ore height/chance chart, unlike other ore types. I think I'm gonna go ahead and go to the nether asap instead of spending any time doing anything else, and see if it does indeed exist.

edit: yeah I don't think it does. In fact, I went back and looked at the ore config file that mentions titanium (the cyclic one) and it's entirely disabled.
I went to the Beneath to see what that ore generation is like and it seems to spawn just about everything... but still no rutile/titanium. So I looked at the Advanced Rocketry files, found the oregen file... and it's empty. Not a good sign.
As a last ditch effort I investigated RFTools, to see if I could just create a dimension with rutile or titanium in it... and there are no matching dimlets.

It's dead Jim. This modpack is impossible to complete.
As a side note I kept getting quest completion messages as I cheated in dimlet-related RFTools blocks, but as far as I can tell there's no way to view those quests in the questbook.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 9, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ugh okay I guess I was wrong. I found the real oregen config for Advanced Rocketry (it's in the main config file) then decided to go back and explore other possible ways of getting ore, like how oregen works in RFTools dimlets without specifying ores, or via quarries other than environmental tech(since that pulls from a whitelist). I didn't find anything in the dimlet I checked, so I let an extra utilities 2 quantum quarry run for a while. Eventually, after filtering the output, I got it to spit out some rutile. Now that I knew it was possible I went to check the Beneath again and eventually found some there too.

It's just annoyingly rare and looks similar to mekanism's copper ore. Kepler 10b being what it is, the author didn't remove any redundant ore generation.

I think I'm done with the pack anyway.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 9, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

by not touching it, i win again

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Among Trees is a pre-Alpha, sort of mellow survival game about building a cozy cabin out in the woods and cooking beets and stuff. After running through the minimal content that currently exists for it, it really left me wishing there were more slow paced, survival-oriented mods and modpacks for Minecraft. The sort that focused on gradual upgrades to your home and building up to better things while still staying grounded in a sort of man vs nature/survivalist focus. It's a shame that most mods that attempt such a thing end up veering hard into the territory of Tough as Nails, where mechanics are brutally unrealistic and you swelter to death if you look at a torch, or get flesh eating parasites if you drink rainwater that hasn't been quadruple purified. Usually it's just making existing mechanics grindier without changing the overall scope, so everything becomes trivial after the first hour anyway, it's just more busywork in the meantime.

It's weird to think that even years later, Terrafirmacraft may still be the best effort at this sort of thing.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

I'm addicted to storage. I want to make a functionally infinite storage facility for my AE2 network (with channels disabled)

Is there any way to get AE2 to play nice with the Black Hole Controllers?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm addicted to storage. I want to make a functionally infinite storage facility for my AE2 network (with channels disabled)

Is there any way to get AE2 to play nice with the Black Hole Controllers?

Storage Bus is how you use stuff like that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

Storage Bus is how you use stuff like that.

How many items does a drive full of 64k disks store, like 700k?

Banks and banks of drives is the way to go unless you can beat that per block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

How many items does a drive full of 64k disks store, like 700k?

Banks and banks of drives is the way to go unless you can beat that per block

Black Hole Units can store 2,147,483,647 of a single item. That's 2 billion.