Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Asema posted:

Like I said, the i9 is already bought and paid for so is it enough to cancel that, wait for the refund, and grab the i5-10600k or just go with it?

I may have been real quick with buying it due to coworkers hyping it up and saying how rare it was to be in stock so this is 100% on me lmaoooo

If you already have it and can afford it, just use it. It is fast as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

If you already have it and can afford it, just use it. It is fast as hell.

I've been planning this upgrade for about six years so I may have over-saved for it, I guess that goes back to the original question then, with just the DH-15 and not overclocking, everything seems okay? Probably going to aim for a 3070 over the 3080 though.

I wanted to use the Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E but like I said in the post, it apparently has a really bad Intel hardware/software? issue that just drops and I've seen no reports that it was fixed so I've went with MSI which I've never used before so I'm kinda sketch on it.

I guess I'm also apparently buying TWO of the computer parts since my wife has apparently been saving just as long as I have, but she streams art and has a cintiq monitor that's at 4k alongside games and stuff, so I'm assuming the i9 would actually be of use for her?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Asema posted:

I've been planning this upgrade for about six years so I may have over-saved for it, I guess that goes back to the original question then, with just the DH-15 and not overclocking, everything seems okay? Probably going to aim for a 3070 over the 3080 though.

I wanted to use the Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E but like I said in the post, it apparently has a really bad Intel hardware/software? issue that just drops and I've seen no reports that it was fixed so I've went with MSI which I've never used before so I'm kinda sketch on it.

I guess I'm also apparently buying TWO of the computer parts since my wife has apparently been saving just as long as I have, but she streams art and has a cintiq monitor that's at 4k alongside games and stuff, so I'm assuming the i9 would actually be of use for her?

GPU is going to matter significantly more at 4K than CPU. CPU matters more on 1080p and dependent on the application.

We won’t know till benchmarks hit, but the 3070 likely won’t perform super well at 4K (it’ll be ok). If you’re springing that hard on a machine than the extra $200 for the 3080 is certainly worth it. Add on top of it the fact that you intend to run 4K and I wouldn’t even consider the 3070.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I really want to get rid of my Corsair 450D case because its literally broken if you try to move it and I have had it forever but my 280 top CPU radiator is giving me problems.

The Corsair 4000D airflow was perfect but I just watched paul's hardware build in it and he pointed out the rad fans sit over your ram. Well I have tall silly RGB ram I like very much and it sites far below my top rad fans currently.

I tried the lancool 2 mesh but it only lets you mount a 140 top. :(

A little bit more expensive and taller corsair case is the 500D, and think its stunning in appearance, but I cant help but feel like its top and front designs are restrictive. https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Obsidian-Mid-Tower-Tempered-Aluminum/dp/B074T6691B.

It definitely fits the radiator based on the photos in this review. https://www.techspot.com/review/1580-corsair-obsidian-500d/

I'm basically looking for the 4000D but taller.

edit: Leaning towards the 500D since I cant find people complaining about thermals online. Love the look.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 10, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kingnothing posted:

GPU is going to matter significantly more at 4K than CPU. CPU matters more on 1080p and dependent on the application.

We won’t know till benchmarks hit, but the 3070 likely won’t perform super well at 4K (it’ll be ok). If you’re springing that hard on a machine than the extra $200 for the 3080 is certainly worth it. Add on top of it the fact that you intend to run 4K and I wouldn’t even consider the 3070.

She streams at 4k I think, or at least I know she streams from her cintiq which is at 4k and if I know her as well as I think I do, there's no way she's changed OBS settings to put that resolution down. Isn't streaming like heavily CPU ?

I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff for the i9, somethings were out of stock and had to be changed but I just went ahead and did it so I can spend next week building it:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($649.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1918.83

is the final build I guess. Now to wait patiently for the 3000 series to be in stock

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

spunkshui posted:

I really want to get rid of my Corsair 450D case because its literally broken if you try to move it and I have had it forever but my 280 top CPU radiator is giving me problems.

The Corsair 4000D airflow was perfect but I just watched paul's hardware build in it and he pointed out the rad fans sit over your ram. Well I have tall silly RGB ram I like very much and it sites far below my top rad fans currently.

I tried the lancool 2 mesh but it only lets you mount a 140 top. :(

A little bit more expensive and taller corsair case is the 500D, and think its stunning in appearance, but I cant help but feel like its top and front designs are restrictive. https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Obsidian-Mid-Tower-Tempered-Aluminum/dp/B074T6691B.

It definitely fits the radiator based on the photos in this review. https://www.techspot.com/review/1580-corsair-obsidian-500d/

I'm basically looking for the 4000D but taller.

edit: Leaning towards the 500D since I cant find people complaining about thermals online. Love the look.

This guy puts a 280 rad on top of the Pure Base 500DX and it looks ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL5IsxzpiCA&t=271s

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Since the thread title is no longer accurate:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardwar / Software Crap > PC Building Megathread - "Released" is a nebulous term...

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

This guy puts a 280 rad on top of the Pure Base 500DX and it looks ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL5IsxzpiCA&t=271s

Really tempting, but seeing lots of reviews mention "The roof can house another 140mm, but cannot cater for a 280mm radiator - only a 240mm will fit here."
https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/be-quiet-pure-base-500dx-review/2/

The case fans have to hang over a small part of the mobo from the looks of that review.

Some say it depends on your motherboards VRMs if it clears but I like overclocking and this case will hold my next mobo when DDR5 drops.

The 500D has the fans completely above the mobo like my current case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBSWvS-0cnY&t=567s

Finally, someone that does a review with something more then the stock fans!

My only concern with the 500D was cooling, doesn't seem like it actually has cooling issues at all because there is an inch gap in the front.

I don't need the hinges but I do like opening my computer lol.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 10, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Asema posted:

She streams at 4k I think, or at least I know she streams from her cintiq which is at 4k and if I know her as well as I think I do, there's no way she's changed OBS settings to put that resolution down. Isn't streaming like heavily CPU ?

I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff for the i9, somethings were out of stock and had to be changed but I just went ahead and did it so I can spend next week building it:

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1918.83

is the final build I guess. Now to wait patiently for the 3000 series to be in stock

That Samsung 860 EVO is overpriced and underperforming, nowadays there are better NVMe options available. I think the A-Data SX8200 is the usual recommendation at that size. You also shouldn't buy full priced Windows license, eBay and SA-Mart have much better deals. And with Windows 10 you probably want Pro for some of the extra features. Even recycled Win 7 Pro licenses are suitable for activation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I decided to present my request in a less rambling manner:

What country are you in?
Czech Republic, EU.

What are you using the system for? Gaming, streaming and recording gaming videos. Would like a ray tracing-supporting graphcs card, although it is not strictly necessary if it gets over the budget.

What's your budget? Maximum is 2000$ when converted, around 45000 CZK in local currency.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
I will be getting a new monitor at a later date, so I would appreciate advice on that as well, although it doesn't need to be part of the budget. I would like a 4k one eventually.

What I really need is a whole picture; if it turns out I can't get some of the components I can always go for individual comparisons but there is a lot of parts I have no idea how to pick (SSDs, coolers, boards, power sources, even the goddamn case - my old one is falling apart). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So far I've been told I should look for a Ryzen 3700x CPU.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 10, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Personally I'm definitely going to overspend and get a Zen 3, gently caress it. :homebrew:

Same, friend. I'm not sure if you saw my post to you in TFF coaching carousel thread, but check it out ;-*

Also, since I have not been able to get my hands on a 3080 yet, I decided to turn my build into an early christmas present to myself and am not adverse to spending $3k+. Even so, I think I've settled on what I will build in the end. Anything marked with a $0 price is being brought from the old PC, and the 2TB HDD will probably be replaced by 2x 8TB or 3x6TB drives in early 2021. I also plan on filling out the M.2 slots in the very near future, but any input is appreciated:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ($549.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($312.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $224.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 2 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 2 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($809.99)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $149.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $169.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $25.00)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.00 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.00 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 120 W 2.1 Channel Speakers (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $2503.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-10 09:53 EDT-0400

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardwar / Software Crap > PC Building Megathread - "Released" is a nebulous term...

Sent it to the mods.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'd look at a NH-U14S instead of the U12S. The U12S is the same price but cools markedly worse.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saukkis posted:

That Samsung 860 EVO is overpriced and underperforming, nowadays there are better NVMe options available. I think the A-Data SX8200 is the usual recommendation at that size. You also shouldn't buy full priced Windows license, eBay and SA-Mart have much better deals. And with Windows 10 you probably want Pro for some of the extra features. Even recycled Win 7 Pro licenses are suitable for activation.

i haven't actually gotten the windows licenses since i'm lazy as gently caress and they go on sale all the time. i'll scrounge around sa-mart for them

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thread title changed. Thanks for the suggestion and thank you to the goon (Some Goon, idk) who reported it!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If I'm using separate drives for the OS and storage, is there a reason not to go with an NVME for both?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Asema posted:

The intel processor is justifiable if you have a shitload of money and gaming is your priority but it doesn't make any sense if productivity is important too; Ryzens perform much better in that respect. And are a lot cheaper. As has been said GPU is much more important for 4k gaming.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butterfly Valley posted:

The intel processor is justifiable if you have a shitload of money and gaming is your priority but it doesn't make any sense if productivity is important too; Ryzens perform much better in that respect. And are a lot cheaper. As has been said GPU is much more important for 4k gaming.

I get it, I really do, but AMD burned me for half a decade on different products and soured them to where I don't want to deal with them anymore. I need you to understand that I get it, I get everything about Ryzen but I'm still not going to put their CPU or GPU into my case unless the numbers are hands away drastically better rather than the 1%-6% range everything has been at. I'm not going to poo poo talk AMD and I'm not going to push people to Intel because like I get this is 100% on me here, but I've touched that stove like four times and each time I pull my hand back and go "ouch" and I'm not doing it anymore.

She plays a poo poo ton of games too, but I know she also does a poo poo ton of drawing with her cintiq and streaming it on twitch/picarto, and the last time my dumb idiot brain checked into it CPU was real important for streaming not dealing with resolution.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Seyser Koze posted:

If I'm using separate drives for the OS and storage, is there a reason not to go with an NVME for both?

Not if you can afford it. The only reason to go with a SATA SSD or Platter Drive is because you want ~moar space~, which is generally not the ideal situation. The sweet spot for NVME seems to be ~1TB, but if you're willing to pay a little more per GB you can get larger ones. The 2TB drives don't cost too much more, but once you go above that it gets absurd.

I think I saw an 8TB NVME that cost more than a 3090...

Many will argue here that you will want two PCIe x 4 Gen4 M.2 slots, which I think means getting a 570 board (for AMD, not sure for Intel). Personally, I think as long as one of them is Gen4x4 you can put whatever future game needs that much data-suction on the better drive. :shrug:

Internet Explorer posted:

Thread title changed. Thanks for the suggestion and thank you to the goon (Some Goon, idk) who reported it!

:sun:
Thanks!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Asema posted:

I get it, I really do, but AMD burned me for half a decade on different products and soured them to where I don't want to deal with them anymore. I need you to understand that I get it, I get everything about Ryzen but I'm still not going to put their CPU or GPU into my case unless the numbers are hands away drastically better rather than the 1%-6% range everything has been at. I'm not going to poo poo talk AMD and I'm not going to push people to Intel because like I get this is 100% on me here, but I've touched that stove like four times and each time I pull my hand back and go "ouch" and I'm not doing it anymore.

She plays a poo poo ton of games too, but I know she also does a poo poo ton of drawing with her cintiq and streaming it on twitch/picarto, and the last time my dumb idiot brain checked into it CPU was real important for streaming not dealing with resolution.

The GPU deals with high resolution gamming. 4k is hard GPU work, paying for extra monitor like that tends to mean it makes sense to pay for the GPU power to support it.

There's a reason AMD knows they can just jack their prices right now. If you want the best single core gaming performance they can straight faced say its them now too.

Blindly trusting a company because of past products is how a poo poo ton of people ended up with garbage tier OCZ stuff for years before they went under. Everything needs a review and every company has ups and downs.

AMD changed how CPUs are made, that matters.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spunkshui posted:

The GPU deals with high resolution gamming. 4k is hard GPU work, paying for extra monitor like that tends to mean it makes sense to pay for the GPU power to support it.

There's a reason AMD knows they can just jack their prices right now. If you want the best single core gaming performance they can straight faced say its them now too.

Blindly trusting a company because of past products is how a poo poo ton of people ended up with garbage tier OCZ stuff for years before they went under. Everything needs a review and every company has ups and downs.

AMD changed how CPUs are made, that matters.

A couple things:

I'm not blindly trusting intel and from everything I've read the 10th generation is a good set of CPU's. I do not want to go back to AMD because I've been burned on them so many times with my bad experience with their build quality, driver support, and customer support. This wasn't something that was "so long ago" but in the 5-6 years ago range. I've also been 100% up front that this is on me and I understand how they've made changes to it.

I've also went back and checked and for streaming it's still a CPU bottleneck. I have been explained to like sixteen times from twenty different people that 4k is hard GPU, I get that. But streaming is what I want to cover for her and her comp.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

I'd look at a NH-U14S instead of the U12S. The U12S is the same price but cools markedly worse.

They need to release it in black first, the fucks

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I soured on AMD years ago, and for the past decade I've been using Intel. My new pc is AMD.

Pound-for-pound Intel beaten by AMD pretty much across the board in performance, even moreso with AMD's recent announcement. Intel pushing back their 7nm chips to 2022 due to a flaw in production is also bad sign. And the comparison between vulnerabilities in AMD vs Intel (https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-amd-most-secure-processors) only makes things worse for Intel. The Intel of today is very different from the Intel of the past. There are so a few occasions where it makes sense to go Intel, but if your decision is based around brand loyalty, I would strongly recommend that you look at performance of both companies within the past few years.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh loving jesus christ nevermind

Alright thread: Hit me with an AMD build in that price-range using air cooling. I'm going to cancel the i9 when I'm given the chance to do so

Asema fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 10, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess the question then becomes the 7 3700x is still pretty good performance and will last me awhile yes?

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Been out of the game for a while - looking to replace my dying i5-2500k / GeForce 1070 system and could use some guidance.

In the US, mainly just using for games / web / Plex server. I am near a Microcenter.
Flexible budget - future proofing is valuable for me.
I need a new monitor - probably 1440p but I play most games on my connected 4k HDR tv. I like good image quality and 60fps for what that is worth. No idea when the 3080 will be available so I will likely just stick with my 1070 (or use the onboard GPU just to get by?) until I can purchase one.
It sounds like AMD and Intel both have new CPUs on the way in the coming months - is now a bad time to buy? I am seriously out of the loop..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($274.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($168.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($108.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1697.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-10 14:51 EDT-0400

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Pedialyte posted:

Been out of the game for a while - looking to replace my dying i5-2500k / GeForce 1070 system and could use some guidance.

In the US, mainly just using for games / web / Plex server. I am near a Microcenter.
Flexible budget - future proofing is valuable for me.
I need a new monitor - probably 1440p but I play most games on my connected 4k HDR tv. I like good image quality and 60fps for what that is worth. No idea when the 3080 will be available so I will likely just stick with my 1070 (or use the onboard GPU just to get by?) until I can purchase one.
It sounds like AMD and Intel both have new CPUs on the way in the coming months - is now a bad time to buy? I am seriously out of the loop..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($274.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($168.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($108.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1697.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-10 14:51 EDT-0400

Long story short google 5600X

If you can wait for it to hit shelves it claims to be much faster in even single core performance.

That a lot to pay for a motherboard even if your into overclocking.

At a certain point you have to do the math if it makes more sense to step up to a better cpu with a cheaper mobo even if you stay with intel.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also that motherboard has a problem with it's Intel networking that I couldn't find if they actually fixed or if it's a hardware issue. I know that might not seem like a thing to worry about so you can ignore it if it's not something you think is worth worrying about.

When I was looking into it, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZJ2bt6/msi-mpg-z490-gaming-edge-wifi-atx-lga1200-motherboard-mpg-z490-gaming-edge-wifi this board seemed like a better one that didn't have the Intel hardware for networking.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Asema posted:

I guess the question then becomes the 7 3700x is still pretty good performance and will last me awhile yes?

Yes it is still very good performance, and excellent price-to-performance value.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.

spunkshui posted:

Long story short google 5600X

If you can wait for it to hit shelves it claims to be much faster in even single core performance.

Ok, it looks like those come out on November 5th. I can wait for that. I don't have any strong feelings with Intel vs. AMD. My last AMD was the original Athlon...

Asema posted:

Also that motherboard has a problem with it's Intel networking that I couldn't find if they actually fixed or if it's a hardware issue. I know that might not seem like a thing to worry about so you can ignore it if it's not something you think is worth worrying about.

When I was looking into it, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZJ2bt6/msi-mpg-z490-gaming-edge-wifi-atx-lga1200-motherboard-mpg-z490-gaming-edge-wifi this board seemed like a better one that didn't have the Intel hardware for networking.

Great, that does seem like a much more reasonable price too. Thanks I will get this one if I stick with this CPU.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I get the Ryzen 9 3900x or the Ryzen 7 3700x

The 3950x is like 800 and that's too much for a processor for me but what's the big difference between the 7/9?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Asema posted:

Asema posted:

Should I get the Ryzen 9 3900x or the Ryzen 7 3700x

The 3950x is like 800 and that's too much for a processor for me but what's the big difference between the 7/9?

Yeah, my understanding is the PS5, et al, have a hobbled version of the 3700X in their systems, so a 3700X should keep you :turianass: CPU-ready :turianass: for the new generation of AAA-titles.

That being said, you can save $100 by getting a 3600. That will be more than enough for the immediate future and you could then update to Zen3 when prices/inventories stabilize next year.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, my understanding is the PS5, et al, have a hobbled version of the 3700X in their systems, so a 3700X should keep you :turianass: CPU-ready :turianass: for the new generation of AAA-titles.

That being said, you can save $100 by getting a 3600. That will be more than enough for the immediate future and you could then update to Zen3 when prices/inventories stabilize next year.

You are throwing prices around and my dumb gremlin brain is set it and forget it so I might go with the 3700x even if the 3900x is on the table lmao

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It seems like you can't really go wrong any way right now with AMD.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Harold Fjord posted:

It seems like you can't really go wrong any way right now with AMD.

It's the year 2000 all over again! :toot:

:member: the Thunderbird?

Asema posted:

You are throwing prices around and my dumb gremlin brain is set it and forget it so I might go with the 3700x even if the 3900x is on the table lmao

TL;DR - 3600/3700X is the mid-range sweet spot right now, but if performance is the end-all-be-all and money is no object: wait for Zen3 availability.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was playing around with this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($133.24 @ Amazon)
Total: $1516.83

TL;DR - 3600/3700X is the mid-range sweet spot right now, but if performance is the end-all-be-all and money is no object: wait for Zen3 availability.

Probably swap out that 3900 for the 3700 then because I'm impatient and don't wanna wait for zen3 availability lmao

Asema fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 10, 2020

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've been itching to make a new build. I care more about a timeline for good tech coming out than I do about needing a new PC right now.

What are my options for CPU+motherboards? I have a 6700K and 32 gigs of memory.

I know AMD announced their 5 series. I hear DDR5 is around the corner. But it's been a half decade since I've looked at this stuff and it all seems overwhelming. Intel used to be the best, but now it's AMD? Is DDR5 worth waiting for? I have so many questions :psyduck:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Knot My President! posted:

I've been itching to make a new build. I care more about a timeline for good tech coming out than I do about needing a new PC right now.

I know AMD announced their 5 series. I hear DDR5 is around the corner. But it's been a half decade since I've looked at this stuff and it all seems overwhelming. Intel used to be the best, but now it's AMD? Is DDR5 worth waiting for? I have so many questions :psyduck:

AMD is now officially the best and officially charging more than Intel because they are the best.

DDR 5 like a year or 2 out still I think.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Knot My President! posted:

DDR5 won't really be a thing until late 2021 at the earliest, and nobody knows how much it will even matter for IRL performance.

3600 and 3700X are the best value still. Zen 3 look like they will have the best absolute performance but will cost significantly more vs. their Zen 2 predecessors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the info, guys :)

So getting good DDR4 seems like the best option even for 2021.

Would the 5900X be a good/fun upgrade from the 6700K then? I do 1440p high refresh gaming and plan on getting an ultrawide some time this/next year. I've been hesitant about a CPU upgrade since the 10700K and equivalent processors are like... 10% faster and AAA titles are not my first choice for gaming