Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

Will be the weeping SJW gender studies major on your right wing "debate" youtube for two ounces of dank weed

I don't think Prager U pays in weed, you can prolly get paid in that one dude's terrible artwork though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Repeatedly baffling Christendom with Ben Garrison commissions

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Woke up this morning with a low grade fever and the official stance is "it's under 100.4 take some ibuprofen and get to work"

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Len posted:

Woke up this morning with a low grade fever and the official stance is "it's under 100.4 take some ibuprofen and get to work"

uh do you work at the white house?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I wonder what the threshold is for getting the "racistTM" designation will be? Yelp is already weaponized for businesses to use it against their competitors.

I also wonder how much it costs to get the designation removed from your business.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So much about software development is explained by management desperately trying to justify their paychecks while seething at the programmers who have actual skills which can't be easily replaced

lmao

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

spacetoaster posted:

I wonder what the threshold is for getting the "racistTM" designation will be? Yelp is already weaponized for businesses to use it against their competitors.

I also wonder how much it costs to get the designation removed from your business.

One thousand four hundred and eighty eight dollars

Getting it only costs $69

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
A small group of landlords is behind nearly half of D.C.’s evictions, report says

quote:

A small group of property owners who collectively hold 21 percent of the District’s rental market is responsible for nearly 50 percent of the city’s eviction filings, according to a report released Thursday by Georgetown University’s McCourt School of Public Policy.

In 2018, only 5.5 percent of filed evictions led to executed evictions — meaning that renters were actually removed from the property. But around 70 percent of the annual filings are dismissed in court, according to Rosen and McCabe, indicating that the tenant paid or the landlord had no proof to carry the case to judgment.

“Landlords are using eviction as a tactic,” said Rosen, an assistant professor at Georgetown’s McCourt School. “Most of the time, when they are filing, they are not expecting it is going to result in eviction. They are trying to sort of get the state and courts behind their claim for the rent that is owed and push the tenant to find a new way to get the money, whether it’s from a church or a friend or a family member.”

Such tactics are used more heavily in the District’s poorest neighborhoods. The report presents a vivid snapshot of the inequalities within the city’s housing market. In 2018, according to the report, 11 out of every 100 renters in D.C. experienced an eviction filing. In Wards 7 and 8, however, 20 out of 100 and 25 out of 100 experience eviction, respectively.

The whole article is worth a read. Landlords abusing the eviction process like crazy. loving one in ten and one in five renters getting evicted? What the gently caress?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

other people posted:

uh do you work at the white house?

No but I do work for chuds

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Len posted:

No but I do work for chuds

Time to get real friendly with your bosses.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thanatosian posted:

A small group of landlords is behind nearly half of D.C.’s evictions, report says

The whole article is worth a read. Landlords abusing the eviction process like crazy. loving one in ten and one in five renters getting evicted? What the gently caress?

This is how you kill a society.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

VanSandman posted:

No, that's how you marginalize a part of society to the benefit of another part.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

anonumos posted:

No, that's how you marginalize a part of society to the benefit of another part.

Which is how you kill societies.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
which is where we live

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

which is where we live

*lived

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

paul_soccer12 posted:

which is where we live

what happened to paulie socks 1 through 11?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

VanSandman posted:

One of the things i've come around to in the last few years is accepting the premise that debt kills empires, but not in the way chuds think where running a deficit too long makes your country implode. More in the sense of, if everyone is in debt or on the brink of financial ruin, literally all it'll take is a slight bump for everything to fall apart as literally everyone starts defaulting

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

systems collapse but worldwide is a fun idea and i am glad it is in my head and won't leave

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Bullshit. They're pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Capital wants to know how to most efficiently exploit labor, so they latch onto any psuedo-scientific sounding crap that promises to give them numbers to look at. Agile methodology is that. The idea is that you have sprints (defined chunks of time like two weeks or whatever) that your team does stuff in, and the team has a certain amount it's possible to do in that time. Theoretically, that's measured in points, so you estimate how much stuff you'll be able to fit in the sprint by how many points your team has available, and how many each thing will be to do.

However, you get into a few problems here. First, nobody knows what a point is. Is it a measurement of time? If so, how much time per point? Or is it a measure of difficulty or effort? Who knows? But you'd better get the number right. Which brings me to the second problem: everybody sucks at estimating. Sometimes you get things right, based on whichever definition of a "point" you're using (which is hopefully in the same universe as the definitions used by other people where you are). But sometimes you're laughably off, like the three-days-turning-into-three-months thing (or the opposite). And then you have people making timelines off of what are effectively guesses pulled out of somebody's rear end that get set in stone as The Delivery Date Which Shall Be Met.

In case you can't tell, I'm not much of a fan. Maybe it works somewhere, but I've never seen it.

The mistake most companies/dev orgs make is trying to use them as a performance indicator. They're not, they're a way for a group of experts to have a conversation about inputs to difficulty based on individual assessment. The performance indicator of an estimation system is whether the estimates get closer to reality over time, not number go up.

Of course that implies you shouldn't use a formula like "we have two teams, each team generates 10 points per 2 weeks, they estimated this pile of poo poo at 90 points, ergo we'll be done in two months" and medium/long-range estimation is a completely different problem than estimating whether a team can make demonstrable progress on some piece of relatively well understood engineering work in a week or two. That might imply annual or multi-year planning is actually hard and not bing bong so easy to derive from daily or weekly task estimation. And that might imply that actually the people failing are the managers and strategic planners rather than the people at the coal face when the estimates turn out to be junk.

Inevitably most companies' agile or scrum adoption is pure cargo cult bullshit papering over management failure, so it shouldn't be that surprising that it doesn't achieve anything except allowing business consultants to siphon off a few tens of thousands more dollars.

But I think in a workers' cooperative the descendants of those systems could be effective for many groups. :unsmith:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

T-shirt sizes or SWAGs for bigger work

Just a different brand of bullshit, though

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Blarghalt posted:

One of the things i've come around to in the last few years is accepting the premise that debt kills empires, but not in the way chuds think where running a deficit too long makes your country implode. More in the sense of, if everyone is in debt or on the brink of financial ruin, literally all it'll take is a slight bump for everything to fall apart as literally everyone starts defaulting

Good thing Covid's smaller than a slight bump... :ohdear:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Amphigory posted:

Good thing Covid's smaller than a slight bump... :ohdear:

Just like climate change. And the upcoming energy crisis. The ongoing mass extinction of all animals on the planet. These are just some of the extremely small bumps that capitalism will easily triumph over

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

Reminds me of how a year ago if your kid had a mild fever before daycare you’d just dope em up with Tylenol and send them off.

I wouldn’t do that now tho I don’t want to be the parent that got a room full of toddlers quarantined for 2 weeks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Reminds me of how a year ago if your kid had a mild fever before daycare you’d just dope em up with Tylenol and send them off.

I wouldn’t do that now tho I don’t want to be the parent that got a room full of toddlers quarantined for 2 weeks

That was still super frowned on because then we just had to call you in 5 hours when the stuff wore off and say "hey leave work and come get your kid"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Biplane posted:

Just like climate change. And the upcoming energy crisis. The ongoing mass extinction of all animals on the planet. These are just some of the extremely small bumps that capitalism will easily triumph over

Very misleading.

The plants are also dying.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
and the insects

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

microbes are doing ok

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bees are hosed

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Amphigory posted:

Bees are hosed

Hot take: bees are an invasive species in North America and eradicating them is praxis

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Hot take: bees are an invasive species in North America and eradicating them is praxis

take so hot the planet will burn to make it reality

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

LastInLine posted:

Kill the horses first, bees are great

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

LastInLine posted:

Hot take: whites are an invasive species in North America and eradicating them in Minecraft is praxis

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

LastInLine posted:

bees are so blessed I’m buzzin mad now

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Nah give it 30 years and there'll be no insect pollinators left at all, so even though I'm sure they out-compete wild invertebrates in the same niche, they're basically our only hope.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

LastInLine posted:

If you hitch a ride on a coconut then you're native, but if you hitch a ride in some bilge water then you're invasive. Have I got that right? Was the first migratory bird an invasive species? Or is it like, if we see it happen then it's invasive, but if the outcompeting happened a long time ago then it's not considered invasive anymore, but merely successful?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

AvesPKS posted:

If you hitch a ride on a coconut then you're native, but if you hitch a ride in some bilge water then you're invasive. Have I got that right? Was the first migratory bird an invasive species? Or is it like, if we see it happen then it's invasive, but if the outcompeting happened a long time ago then it's not considered invasive anymore, but merely successful?

if human action brings something somewhere it's invasive, otherwise it's native

climate change of course makes all migration invasive

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just to be clear, it was a joke, I don't want to be the guy who hates bees :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Amphigory posted:

Bees are hosed

I looked into this recently and colony collapse has actually slowed way down for some weird reason we don't fully understand and bees might be making a comeback so that's, idk, some kind of good news i guess :shrug:

I mean until climate change kills all the plants and they die anyway but still.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Honestly if the migratory bird has no natural predators in the new area and completely outcompetes everything else, yeah it's gonna behave like what we'd call an invasive species. It's just without humans there'd be thousands of years between incidents like that happening and nature would have enough time to evolve up some predators before poo poo got too hosed, with humans it's happening constantly everywhere around the globe hundreds of times in the span of like, less than a century. So I guess the rate and causative factor are the important bits here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

love to litigate the meaning of “invasive.”