Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Idk they're tools clearly purchased for commercial use, seems easy to deny the claim for residential insurance at least on its face

E: this is better and more informed

Mr. Nice! posted:

If he had rental insurance, then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
IANAL, but generic insurance policies frequently have much lower limits on things like tools, unless you specifically insure the tools. If you have pictures of the tools or any other proof you own them, that would help with the potential claim (even though it sounds like it's probably not covered). You should at least ask your employer to reimburse you for the tools before suing them. Do you have any of the instructions the employer gave you in writing?

Small claims courts are usually courts of equity, not courts of law, which isn't to say that you would necessarily win, but it's hard to predict the outcome of a case that's largely subject to the judge's sense of fairness.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Not much help now but if your company tells you to get hosed that's your que for stealing things equipment going missing in the future.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Thanatosian posted:

You should at least ask your employer to reimburse you for the tools before suing them.

I have, and am awaiting a response

quote:

Do you have any of the instructions the employer gave you in writing?

Not that I've found yet. Best I have are old emails of me sending him tool lists he requested, then the direction must have been verbal

I have contemporaneous notes from our meetings for the entire time I've been there (hand written and in the CRM) about nature of those conversations

We also met about the burglary on Tuesday morning when we have weekly meetings. Verbally he reiterated having directed me to use my tools, store them in the van, and take the van home with me. When I sent him notes on that meeting (normal practice) via email, his mentioning that was a bullet point

There's also the fact that I've been doing the job for 16 months, and now that I'm not bringing tools I can't do the job as described, for lack of tools. I called some of my counterparts at other offices in other states, and many of them are using their own tools, which they were directed to do

Of course, this role being completely out of the company's wheel house (sales org trying to do working man poo poo), there are no relevant policy documents or memos pertaining to any of this poo poo

Obviously, I know what I can do to reduce my exposure moving forward (I will be getting a renter's insurance policy and inventorying my remaining tools)

Luckily, i wasn't bringing many of my tools to work, and most of what I lost I own in duplicate, triplicate, etc. The sticker price is just high bc it was all tradesman quality tools

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Not much help now but if your company tells you to get hosed that's your que for stealing things equipment going missing in the future.

Shut the gently caress up.

Don't steal, people.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I was about to say.

No matter how much you hate capitalism and companies (and god knows I agree), don't encourage theft. And don't loving steal? In fact, don't break the law, not even gonna qualify it if it ever becomes the case that the law absolutely must be broken for some reason it'll need to be so loving obvious that the fact that I said "don't break the law" isn't going to factor into the decision at all.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Don't steal, people.

Yeah, remember that the priority needs to be making sure that the business never faces any sorts of consequences for the morally abhorrent but technically legal behavior.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

I don't steal from my employers

[e: fine]

Also, just as an aside: none of it in writing, but for the entire time I've worked here, I've been begging my boss to buy the loving tools and let me leave the van at work. I even asked like, can I at least take the company tool backpack containing my tools home with me, so that I could leave the van at work and keep access to my property. It's been "coming soon" for 16 months

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 9, 2020

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

For real, you should also delete that most recent post.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

homullus posted:

For real, you should also delete that most recent post.

Good point. It doesn't matter (didn't have to sign one of those) but still yeah, good point

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have an attractive nuisance question in Oregon. My hypothetical 7 year old and his hypothetical friends frequently play together around our cul de sac and in our front yard. In my yard is a tree about 12' tall. The kids can all grab the lower branches but can't quite climb up due to the shape of the trunk.

I was watching my fake son try to climb the tree today and thought that maybe I could nail a board or two into the trunk to facilitate him climbing into the upper branches. It occurred to me however that it was very likely that other kids would want to also climb the tree, and they could potentially fall out and die from a brain contusion in my tulip bed.

Questions:

1. Does Oregon have attractive nuisance laws?

2. If so, is there an age cutoff for Oregon?

3. Could I do anything to cover my liability, like posting signs warning the dumb fake kids?

4. Am I missing anything stupid and obvious regarding my liability in this situation?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
JMHO, but no matter what the laws say I'd personally just up the liability coverage on the home, and get umbrella if you don't already have it. It's stupid cheap for what you get (like $200 for a 1-2MM policy).

Not sure I'd put something up on the tree to encourage that stuff, as stickler as that sounds.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not a hypothetical if it’s obvious it’s you

I’ve said this 100 times. I could have answered you question too

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

euphronius posted:

It’s not a hypothetical if it’s obvious it’s you

I’ve said this 100 times. I could have answered you question too

I don't have any kids. My neighbor just nailed a few boards to his tree. We had a discussion about it. I was being cute. Better up that count to 101 I guess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

toplitzin posted:

I'd guess its also probably exposing the college to some sort of liability especially if he's storing the data improperly. you could always talk to the department head or the schools legal department and let them deal with it vs fighting the idiot himself.

As someone who works with PII, 'mailed to his personal home address on hardcopy' is setting off all the lights and sirens.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is he also asking for bank account numbers and pins for uh, verification purposes? I would absolutely not participate in this and would complain to the administration.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Seems like it'd be fine to just lie

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Harold Fjord posted:

I'd still escalate because that professor reads as the type who'd treat lying on that assignment as 'academic dishonesty' and try to push for consequences from the administration to salve his pride.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 10, 2020

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Making up fake numbers and presenting them as your real personal finance numbers seems like a venue to open yourself up to bullshit academic dishonesty charges simply by playing their game.

Straight up telling them (and social media) that they are running what appears to be a scam and refusing to play their high-stakes/no reward game seems somewhat safer.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Harold Fjord posted:

It is. But if a teacher is forcing students to lie to defend themselves, he should not be a teacher.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

r/legaladvice posted:

This really is so complex and I don't know where to start or how to explain. But let me try.

I have a pretty solid following on Instagram that follow me because of my injuries. I'm a type one diabetic with Osteopenia and I'm often in a cast because of it. The cast fetish community has really taken a liking to me. I broke my ankle originally 3 years ago. My original Dr had me start walking on it a month or two into treatment When I came back in, he x-rayed me and told me that he made a mistake and that I needed to see a different Dr. That my ankle was worse. Because of my medical history the Drs did not feel comfortable with me having surgery and instead kept me in a cast for 9 months. I had to go in every few weeks and each time was several hundred dollars.

In December of 2018 my x-rays were still abnormal and they wanted to do a MRI but when it came down to it they wanted $2,500 and I simply could not afford it. At the time I was in a walking cast and the Dr allowed me to switch over to a boot.

So I went into a boot for several months after that and just stopped going to the Dr.

At the end of 2019 I fell and rebroke it. I posted online upset about my situation and worried I would not be able to afford treatment.

A girl reached out to me. And explained that she knew this Dr in El Paso who helped her when no one else would. He worked on both sides of the border both in Juarez and in El Paso. She gave me his number. When I called he mentioned his name and that he was with a medical group in his voicemail.

I left him a message and sent him a text. He was very straight and to the point a way a Dr would be. Asked me my medical situation and my history. And he explained to me that surgery was our of the question and that I would need to be in a cast for some time. He offered to take me over the border for imaging to save money on both the MRIs and the X-rays.

This seemed like a great solution as it was cheaper to travel to El Paso then to even stay in Vegas and see a Dr here locally.

So I made a trip down there. I travel for work so it wasn't a big deal to do so. He offered to meet me at my hotel in-between surgeries at the hospital. He told me at first that he was an orthopedic surgeon. I thought this was so very kind of him. We met and he reviewed the last x-rays that I took in Vegas and explained to me that it was going to be another long breaking process like I had before. He told me the best thing we could do was to put me in a long leg cast for 6 months. He said that we needed to completely immobilize my knee so that my ankle would not move at all and disturb any healing process. This also with the way he explained it, made sense.

He showed up to the room in scrubs with a Dr bag. Nothing seemed weird or out of place at the time.

He had to get back to work and told me he would come back the next day with the materials to apply the cast. Told me he would be willing to help me probon because of my situation. He explained to me that I was a high risk for needing an amputation. Again, something drs have told me in the past.

He came back the next day, again " in between surgeries" to apply the cast. The first interaction was very Dr/patient like. But this time seemed a bit more intimate. But I admit, it felt good to have a Dr seen into me. And a surgeon none the less who was so kind to offer to help me for free. This should have been my first red flag but it seemed innocent enough.

He told me that I needed to be non-weight bearing for 6 months in the long leg cast. I asked him if we would have imaging done in between and be told me he would take me to his clinic in juarez during our next visit. But that with my history of slow healing that it would be best to avoid the radiation. That he knew from so many past patients that it was going to take time.

After he applied the cast, he mentioned how tired he was and he wasn't looking forward to going back to surgery. I decided to shoot my shot a bit and asked him if he wanted to just lie with me for a bit.

We didn't do anything sexual. Just laid there, but there was a major spark. And at some point, he accidently said I live you. He made up some excuse for it... But that thought stuck with me.

I trusted him.

Before our next visit we started messaging more. But as friends with very flirty vibes. He asked me if I felt the same spark he did. And I must admit I did. It felt naughty talking to my Dr like that, but I liked it. And he said that because he was seeing me for free and that I was technically not a patient on record that he wasn't violating any rules.

Not only did I have a Dr willing to help save my leg for free, but he was into me. He gave off very nerdy virgin vibes and so I was a bit more forward with the flirting from that point forward.

My next trip out he had very little time. The plan was to take me to Juarez for an x-ray that visit but it didn't work out with his schedule. He was always talking about how many hours he had to work and how crazy the hospital got.

Again, I was thankful for his time and help and didn't complain.

We had plans to meet up again before I left but then this is where things get really weird. He told me that he had an abuse case come up. There was a one year old baby who came in, with several broken bones. He himself had a baby and so this was very upsetting for him. The father of the baby was there, and the abuse was clearly from him. My Dr was giving him a lot of attitude and the father shoulder checked him. At that point, the Dr saw red and started beating the poo poo out of him.

According to the Dr, no changes were going to be pressed against him. He explained El Paso is pretty flexible on rules compared to most places and that the hospital team and the military police wouldnt cause trouble for him as the father was clearly the bad guy.

He was so disappointment in himself and hated himself for what he did. But I saw him as a hero and told him the guy deserved it. It was then that he really started to manipulate me and my feelings toward him.

But because of this we didn't meet up again that trip.

Then Corona happened.

He didn't want me traveling as I was a higher risk with my diabetes. So I came up with a solution to have him just ship me the materials for the cast changes. He told me that I should avoid as much radiation as possible anyways and that it was going to be a slow process. And the thing is... I knew how to cast. I had been in so many medical and recreational casts before.

So I was confident in myself. But he didn't trust the idea at first. Then I applied one with material that I had already and showed him. From then on out he let me do the cast changes as it was better then me risking COVID.

In this time, he lost his job. And it turned out he wasn't actually a Dr. He was a resident. He told me that he was a big shot surgeon in the UK but came back to the US to be with his family. In the UK he said you only needed a bachelor to become a Dr. So he had to do his residency again. But it was worth it to him.

So many times I questioned things, but he always had answers ready and his stories just made sense to me in a very odd way.

So at this point it turned out he wasn't actually a Dr but a medical professional who would perform surgeries in Juarez still at his clinic.

Not sure if this changes anything. Add at first he claimed to be a Dr. And I have text messages of him doing so. But as things continued he was just a medical professional.

But I still trusted him and at this point was falling for him.

Once Corona died down he had me go for local x-rays and then meet him in Beaumont. He told me he was working there evaluating patients who had been injured during a blast of sorts at a factory.

At this point he was my boyfriend first, Dr second.

Fast forward we had two more trips together. He was sending me cast supplies and other medical supplies at I started having other medical problems.

Turns out he legit owned some sort of medical supply company and had access to these things. But I think that they were things only a Dr should be able to get. Like IV Zofran, and the kinda of pill bottles they have at the pharmacy. He sent me wellbutrin, zofran, gabapentin and other medications and became my Dr for not only my leg but other medical issues aa well.

During this time I was hospitalized several times for cyclic vomiting syndrome. But the medication he sent me actually helped me.

The amount of stuff he sent me, I thought only a Dr could have access to. I never really questioned that he was lying to me because every time I did for a moment, he did something that would click in my head to be real.

Fast forward, it's been 8 months so far that he had me in a cast, not walking at all. My leg has completely shriveled up and is extremely weak at this point.

During our last trip I found out that nor only is he married but he was not and never has been a Dr. That he has an amputee/stump fetish and according to his wife he has tricked 8 other girls into thinking he was a Dr. He has been hospitalized several times in the pysch ward. Which I knew, but he told me it was just for depression. But I'm not sure if he actually thought he was a Dr and was trying to help me while getting off with his sick fetish. Or if he intended to hurt me in the end.

During our time he often told me that if I was amputated that he would love me the same. He told me he would take me to juarez to do the surgery himself so that it was done right and that he would take care of me.

He even had me do an arm cast for fun to pretend I was amputated for a night. Something I knew my online fans would love so I agreed.

Because of this, I now feel like his entire intention for casting me for so long was to either permanently disable me or cause me to need an amputation. I've known a few guys with amp fetishes/ devotees and some have some very twisted fantasied. I believe if things continued and if Corona never happened and the border wasnt shut down that he would have taken me for a MRI and would have convinced me to have the surgery. As this was mentioned several times.

The proof that I have is screenshots of him claiming to be a Dr over text. Pictures of him in his scrubs. The message his wife sent me saying that he's done this 8 other girls. And a video of us with another Dr doing a live virtual training as he claimed to be a Dr with a clinic.

I am going in to see a real Dr to see if I have any damage done to my ankle other than it being stick skinny and weak.

I live in Vegas, most of our interactions happened in Texas but one time he came to Vegas.

Can I sue him for damages? Would it be a criminal case as he was impersonating a Dr at first, and then later on a medical professional. Do I have to go after him in Texas?

Tl;Dr I fell in love with a man who claimed to be a Dr helping me probono. He turned out to be a pysch patient with a Stump fetish. He kept me in a cast for 9 months. I believe he had intentions of permanently disabling me or causing me to need an amputation. Can I sue him?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

jesus christ

That can't be real but at the same time I suspect it is.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

That's a yikes.

Also chalk another point into the 'don't ever trust anyone with power over you unless you can verify their claims' column. Jesus.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is it insider trading if you have inside knowledge that your company is going down the shitter and you buy a bunch of stock in your leading competitor, or does it only apply to buying/selling shares of stock in the company you work for?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Sounds like a trade you should clear with your company's legal dept

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it insider trading if you have inside knowledge that your company is going down the shitter and you buy a bunch of stock in your leading competitor, or does it only apply to buying/selling shares of stock in the company you work for?

It’s insider trading but almost impossible to prove. Any time you make a decision based on confidential or non-public information it’s insider trading. But for example if you know Microsoft is going to miss earnings so you short the QQQ there almost 0 chance the SEC will catch you unless you are moving serious volume.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

It's insider trading but almost impossible to prove. Any time you make a decision based on confidential or non-public information it’s insider trading. But for example if you know Microsoft is going to miss earnings so you short the QQQ there almost 0 chance the SEC will catch you unless you are moving serious volume.

It does have to be market-sensitive information though. A general understanding that a company is a poo poo-show of mismanagement and a judgement that it is therefore not long for the world probably doesn't cross that threshold (not legal advice don't go to prison because you read this post).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alchenar posted:

It does have to be market-sensitive information though. A general understanding that a company is a poo poo-show of mismanagement and a judgement that it is therefore not long for the world probably doesn't cross that threshold (not legal advice don't go to prison because you read this post).

Also a fundamental failure to recognize that all management and c-level decisionmaking is a shitshow.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Working with C level people is classic, CEOs literally don’t ever do anything. They sit on the calls while everyone else does the work then say thanks. They’re copied on all the emails and every now and then answer with like four words and no signature. The CEO life

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don’t forgot quarterly board meetings with their friends.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 20, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Alchenar posted:

What makes it public knowledge? Like if I work for coke and know for a fact that they're about to do something that isn't illegal but will destroy their share price (eg: intentionally let the coke trademark lapse for some reason) so I dump my half a million bucks of stock that's insider trading. But if I post on my public twitter account (with five followers) or write a letter to CNN telling them and they dismiss it as a crackpots ramblings can I say 'look I tried, it's in the public sphere, not my fault nobody took it seriously' and walk away (and probably get fired and sued by coke for violating my NDA)?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Outrail posted:

What makes it public knowledge? Like if I work for coke and know for a fact that they're about to do something that isn't illegal but will destroy their share price (eg: intentionally let the coke trademark lapse for some reason) so I dump my half a million bucks of stock that's insider trading. But if I post on my public twitter account (with five followers) or write a letter to CNN telling them and they dismiss it as a crackpots ramblings can I say 'look I tried, it's in the public sphere, not my fault nobody took it seriously' and walk away (and probably get fired and sued by coke for violating my NDA)?

My impression is that's the sort of thing an appeals court decides while you're enjoying three hots and a cot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Captain von Trapp posted:

My impression is that's the sort of thing an appeals court decides while you're enjoying three hots and a cot.

Legal questions of questionable legality it is then.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Working with C level people is classic, CEOs literally don’t ever do anything. They sit on the calls while everyone else does the work then say thanks. They’re copied on all the emails and every now and then answer with like four words and no signature. The CEO life

Any CEO that does any actual work is terrible, it's their job to set direction and priorities not actually do work.

Also picking which calls to sit in on is a shockingly important skill to develop for any manager.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

So I have an interesting question regarding tenancy laws in Seattle, especially for small businesses. Hopefully someone can give me a direction I might head? Without giving too much information, here's the gist:

I've been a sole proprietor running a mental health practice out of office space rented by a national company (think WeWork, but not WeWork). I renewed my lease last May, but in August I moved out because the spouse of a former client was so unhappy with the services provided that they made threatening phone calls and texts to me. I documented these and filed a police report but because my address was public knowledge (and this person referenced that in their texts), I absolutely did NOT feel safe going to that office. I let this company know that I intended to move out, and cited local law that says that anyone who is the victim of domestic violence or stalking threats has the legal right to break their lease. I provided copies of the police report and expected that would suffice, but the building manager presented the case to their corporate office in Chicago and basically came back and said "yeah, we don't want to let you out of your lease." Because I was already loving exhausted from months of threats and now dealing with something related and also legal, I moved out into my new office anyway. I paid the lease for September and October, but at this point I'm wondering if it would be useful at all to speak with an attorney and try to fight for this company to let me out of the rest of my lease, or if I hosed myself by moving out of the space, even though I'm still paying rent.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I emailed one lawyer who didn't get back to me, so I feel like pretty small fish here to most people.

MEIN RAVEN fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 21, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, it is in fact legally possible to speak to an attorney in your area about this.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

UnSmith posted:

So I have an interesting question regarding tenancy laws in Seattle, especially for small businesses. Hopefully someone can give me a direction I might head? Without giving too much information, here's the gist:

I've been a sole proprietor running a mental health practice out of office space rented by a national company (think WeWork, but not WeWork). I renewed my least last May, but in August I moved out because the spouse of a former client was so unhappy with the services provided that they made threatening phone calls and texts to me. I documented these and filed a police report but because my address was public knowledge (and this person referenced that in their texts), I absolutely did NOT feel safe going to that office. I let this company know that I intended to move out, and cited local law that says that anyone who is the victim of domestic violence or stalking threats has the legal right to break their lease. I provided copies of the police report and expected that would suffice, but the building manager presented the case to their corporate office in Chicago and basically came back and said "yeah, we don't want to let you out of your lease." Because I was already loving exhausted from months of threats and now dealing with something related and also legal, I moved out into my new office anyway. I paid the lease for September and October, but at this point I'm wondering if it would be legally possible at all to now speak with an attorney and possibly try to fight for this company to let me out of the rest of my lease, or if I hosed myself by moving out of the space, even though I'm still paying rent.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I emailed one lawyer who didn't get back to me, so I feel like pretty small fish here to most people.

Would you say you're a sole trader Seattle treader space truant spouse treater? Who sold taters?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

You know I was sober when I wrote that too.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I’m 90% sure a CEO’s job is just to poo poo on the CFO at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

God drat