Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is Steam crazy slow for anyone else right now? I'm downloading a game and I get maybe 500 kilobytes per second.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Griefor posted:

This would also work as a Master System cover for Fallout: New Vegas

Ave, true to Caesar.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I grabbed Elite Dangerous on sale as it looks like what Star Citizen promises but I'm stuck in an endless loop of trying to actually register. Solutions exist, because apparently this problem has been going on since at least 2016, BUT they require me being able to register the game on the developers site. This requires a CD Key, that doesn't seem to exist. According to steam, CD keys only appear for games that require it.

Looks like i had to delete the first account, recreate it and the link account showed up.

Looks like you fixed it but if you click on the game in your library and go to “manage” there’s an options for CD keys, Elite has one on Steam.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Creeper World 4 is incredible

That dude is doing an amazing job

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fallom posted:

Creeper World 4 is incredible

That dude is doing an amazing job

I can't wait, I tried 3 and it just didn't grab me as much as the demo did for 4. I see now the release date has been updated to December so that's cool!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I have played every Creeper World game so far and they have all been amazingly fun in their own way. The entire series is really worth playing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Meridian posted:

Ave, true to Caesar.

if anyone could read that as anything other than "ah-way, true to kai-zar" then they need to replay New Vegas

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

After playing New Vegas, I was amused to read up on Roman Latin and find out that Caesar actually was probably pronounced fairly similarly to that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 10, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

After playing New Vegas, I was amused to read up on Roman Latin and find out that Caesar actually was probably pronounced fairly similarly to that.

true; hell several words like "Tsar" and "Kaiser" evolved from "Caesar" because of it

it's just the way they use a half-assed English/Latin mix that always gets me - they're not Romans, they're just cosplaying.

e: corrected. gently caress, my German isn't what it used to be (which wasn't much to begin with)

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 10, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Excelzior posted:

it's just the way they use a half-assed english/latin mix that always gets me - they're not Romans, they're just cosplaying.
Kaiser, not Kaizer. :)

Yeah, that is funny as hell. Kai-zar's legion is loving moronic. I just appreciate the educational value of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In retrospect it's dumb bullshit that Caesar's Legion wasn't based out of Caesars Palace.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

RBA Starblade posted:

In retrospect it's dumb bullshit that Caesar's Legion wasn't based out of Caesars Palace.

drat, how did they fuckin miss that? Seems like maybe that was the original inspiration and they changed it to the big camp or w/e for some design reason.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Caesar seems like the kind of guy who read Tacitus or De Bello Gallico once and thought "man, I want to be exactly like that." Makes sense that he wouldn't fit in anywhere.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Need some Spelunky 2 advice and I'm avoiding the thread for now in order to dodge spoilers, so I'll ask my question here. At the moment I'm only interested in opening the third shortcut, not clearing a whole run. With that in mind:

I need a Hired Hand and am really struggling to keep one alive for that long. My strategy so far has been to just start at the temple and hope a shop spawns. Am I right that a shop can't spawn in the Tide Pool, or is this just bad luck? Cause that area's a hundred times easier than the temple and if I could hire one there I'd rather go there. Especially since I need to use all four of my starting bombs just to enter the temple from the shortcut.

The alternative is to just do standard runs and hope to keep one alive, but you can't carry them throughout an entire level cause they shake themselves loose (unlike in the first game iirc). The benefit is I might have more bombs or a weapon by the time I get to the temple which would make that area easier, but eh.

So is it a good idea to keep using the temple shortcut or is there a better strategy to get this done?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

explosivo posted:

I can't wait, I tried 3 and it just didn't grab me as much as the demo did for 4. I see now the release date has been updated to December so that's cool!

Hope the writing's improved since 3. Not at all important, easily skippable, but still

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

That was the plan for them in the cancelled Fallout 3, IIRC. Basing them out of Vegas itself wouldn’t have worked for the plot of NV, since if they were there, why wouldn’t they already control Vegas?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

demos

turnip boy commits tax evasion - did ludum dare have a 'make a game out of a meme' competition because this feels like something that would be from that. thought it would be craft-oriented but it's more of a tiny zelda. not sure i'd pay more than $5 for it currently, it's pretty basic

ashina the red witch - top down adventure game made in AGS... very buggy and got frozen in a control settings menu

dreadstar - a shmup where you can upgrade your stuff/equipment between levels.. but the demo level is really boring

pumpkin jack - disappointed with this one. its not enough to put out an adequate indie 3d platformer and just be done with it, not anymore. we're in the era of mario odyssey, crash 4, sackboy, a new ratchet and clank.. the AAA platformer drought ended. the biggest problem with pumpkin jack is the jumping, which is obviously a problem for a platformer!! you have little air control and your jumps are slippery as gently caress. this one also got my laptop running white hot even though its visuals are going for "HD PS2" style. i thought maybe it was because it was running at uncapped FPS but capping the FPS and turning vsync on didn't change anything

0 for 4 for me so far, but i have a few more to try

e: ok 1 for 5

castle on the coast - another indie 3d platformer, this one's got some kinda childish art direction but i liked it more than pumpkin jack. ok for starters... doesn't run my laptop white hot. the jumping, it's still not great, but as if the programmers said "look we know the jumping is not going to be great, we're an indie 3d platformer", you're given a jetpack to course correct, so the jumping is very Mario Sunshiney (you also get some of mario's other moves like the dive/roll and acrobatic jumps). the main thing i liked about it was having a big open level i could explore and pretty much climb on everything. pumpkin jack was pretty much a straight line, while castle on the coast's demo offers an open level full of different directions to go in. apparently the full game even has an option to turn off invisible walls if you want... it's $8 on itch.io and maybe I'll bite. the full thing is only 5 levels so that's probably a fair price, i assume it'll go up to $10 when it hits 1.0.

mail mole - a lot of indie 3d platformers eh?? this one is OK. it's going for a Super Mario 3D World style of game, except your character primarily moves underground and only leaves his tunneling when jumping. this creates a bit of an awkward jumping mechanic where hitting the jump button doesn't result in an instant jump. instead you have to RELEASE the jump button to jump (thus, holding it longer means a higher jump). this kind of SSX rear end jumping style is bound to create a lot of frustration down the line when the platforming gets a lot trickier. they may want to consider a different control method, like.. idk, the kind of jumping most 3d platformers have had forever?? not sure why they went this route

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 10, 2020

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

RBA Starblade posted:

Wouldn't that be out of sorts with the 1950's stuff? Not that Fallout isn't an anachronistic mess anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fatty posted:

Wouldn't that be out of sorts with the 1950's stuff? Not that Fallout isn't an anachronistic mess anyway.
Wikipedia says it was built in 1966, which is close enough for the "retro-futuristic" theme that Fallout has going. Elvis Presley died in 1977 but the Kings still exist. That's the kind of detail Fallout would just not give a gently caress about.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Glare Seethe posted:

Need some Spelunky 2 advice and I'm avoiding the thread for now in order to dodge spoilers, so I'll ask my question here. At the moment I'm only interested in opening the third shortcut, not clearing a whole run. With that in mind:

I need a Hired Hand and am really struggling to keep one alive for that long. My strategy so far has been to just start at the temple and hope a shop spawns. Am I right that a shop can't spawn in the Tide Pool, or is this just bad luck? Cause that area's a hundred times easier than the temple and if I could hire one there I'd rather go there. Especially since I need to use all four of my starting bombs just to enter the temple from the shortcut.

The alternative is to just do standard runs and hope to keep one alive, but you can't carry them throughout an entire level cause they shake themselves loose (unlike in the first game iirc). The benefit is I might have more bombs or a weapon by the time I get to the temple which would make that area easier, but eh.

So is it a good idea to keep using the temple shortcut or is there a better strategy to get this done?

If you kill the big fish that spawns in the third tide pool stage, there's a guaranteed hired hand trapped inside of his belly

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Looks like you fixed it but if you click on the game in your library and go to “manage” there’s an options for CD keys, Elite has one on Steam.

There isn't for the steam version anymore. You're supposed to have a "steam log in" button in the launcher, but I wasn't getting it.

Also when did they change the password recovery system? last time I had to change it i had to wait 2 days for a support rep to get back to me, this time I could just hit forgot my password and it texted me a number i could plug in that let me change it myself.

I decided to give Graveyard Keeper another try because it being the spooky season, and spooky Stardew seems like a good choice. Also i found out I have to more remove body parts than just the meat before putting them in the ground to get my rating up.

Cardiovorax posted:

Wikipedia says it was built in 1966, which is close enough for the "retro-futuristic" theme that Fallout has going. Elvis Presley died in 1977 but the Kings still exist. That's the kind of detail Fallout would just not give a gently caress about.

One of the things that I always thought about Fallout is that it was a universe were both transistors and rock and roll were never invented. This is why tech is advanced but still pretty clunky, and why everyone is so square. The Kings kind of spoiled that because you'd need rock invented to have Elvis, and I thought "maybe he was not allowed to Ed Sullivan so he never took off and ended up just as a Vegas act?" or maybe in the 50s tv didn't exist and radio was controlled so the most rockin' thing you'd hear was Big Iron.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sebmojo posted:

starcom: nexus is more of a star control type game, but it's very chill and pushes the space exploration buttons for me.

Haven't played it yet, but I would separate 3D space flight games from 2D. Some overlap a little bit like Rebel Galaxy or VD2 but it's a whole different feeling to actually fly a ship as to steer something very abstract from above.

That said, thanks for the reminder that Starcom: Nexus exists. Going to try it finally.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

goferchan posted:

If you kill the big fish that spawns in the third tide pool stage, there's a guaranteed hired hand trapped inside of his belly

Ah thanks! I also ran into the "air of oppression" level feel for the first time which has at least one HH, and found another one at a secret shop, so that should be plenty of options in Tide Pool.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In Warhammer Inquisitor I'm playing as a Tech Priest.
As with anything WH there is a shitload of reading so I kind of gloss over a bit of it
Is there any reason not to just resummon my bots as opposed to healing them?
I mean sure healing is cheaper but it doesnt heal completely depending on damage taken.

Not sure if they gain any + damage with momentum or time alive or anything.

Otherwise i'm up to 5 bots + 1 Quake 2 Super Tank + a deployable turret.
Quite enjoyable.

e:which is now irrelevant not that I've gained a 2nd Quake 2 tank I lose my bot heal.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 10, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

One of the things that I always thought about Fallout is that it was a universe were both transistors and rock and roll were never invented. This is why tech is advanced but still pretty clunky, and why everyone is so square. The Kings kind of spoiled that because you'd need rock invented to have Elvis, and I thought "maybe he was not allowed to Ed Sullivan so he never took off and ended up just as a Vegas act?" or maybe in the 50s tv didn't exist and radio was controlled so the most rockin' thing you'd hear was Big Iron.

The intro to Fallout 1 features a television, and you find wrecked teevees all over the wasteland.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rappaport posted:

The intro to Fallout 1 features a television, and you find wrecked teevees all over the wasteland.
The television was invented at least 20 years before the first transistor.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of awesome things, check the announcements, Lowtax signed and has been booted and we are finally free. Hell yes.
Hope we can get some of the people who abandoned SA (particularly notable LPers) back.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Another goon bites the dust.

Is there a thread to contact these peeps?

twistedmentat posted:

There isn't for the steam version anymore. You're supposed to have a "steam log in" button in the launcher, but I wasn't getting it.

??

HarmB fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 10, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anyone got tips for mission 8 in the Creeper World 4 demo?

Edit: I got it eventually. Put your base in the area next to the red rocks, then get your economy up with mines. Once you have a few, set one to bluite and get 4x AA turrets and 2x snipers up by the pyramid ASAP, with a few cannons as well.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 11, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

The television was invented at least 20 years before the first transistor.

And first saw large-ish scale use in Nazi Germany, yes yes, I was responding to

twistedmentat posted:

or maybe in the 50s tv didn't exist and radio was controlled so the most rockin' thing you'd hear was Big Iron.

although I guess that could just mean 'teevee' as in the concept of television entertainment existing? :shrug:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Pretty sure ikenfell just committed a Crime Against Video Games JRPG dungeon with sliding ice puzzles and teleportation puzzles at the same time

At least it doesn't look as bad as CrossCode's super sprawling puzzle dungeons, I quit that 3/4ths of the way through because I got sick of the puzzles

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Penny for your thoughts on Space Haven? Oxygen Not Included really tickled my fancy once I got past the difficulty hump; Rimworld still seems like a bit much for me, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

Penny for your thoughts on Space Haven? Oxygen Not Included really tickled my fancy once I got past the difficulty hump; Rimworld still seems like a bit much for me, though.

Rimworld isn't too bad, and I'm pretty dumb/slow when it comes to learning complicated games! There are a few UI elements that make certain things seem more complicated than they actually are (I didn't find crafting orders or work priorities to be particularly intuitive, and caravans took me a little while to figure out but you'll probably be pretty far in the game before you have to worry about that) but overall it's pretty gentle and has good tutorials and tooltips available. I also still find it really enjoyable on the easier difficulty/storytelling settings, and it's very well-suited to changing up the difficulty mid-game when you're comfortable and want to deal with some extra challenges and the rewards that come with them. Not sure when you last played but it might definitely be worth giving another try. Happy to answer any questions I can.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I'd say Rimworld is easier than ONI.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Too EA right now, needs another year or two to be anything.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more demos

enigma of salazar house: ICOM style adventure, has some typos but seems like it could be neat. the demo is just the prologue before you actually go to the titular house

pixel puzzle makeout league: well, i'm charmed. the art isn't amazing but i love a picross mashup. this one is a mashup of picross and dating sim, but instead of stat management, you solve story-related picross puzzles. it controls similarly to the DS/3DS picross titles (before jupiter ruined the touch/stylus controls leading into the switch entries)

lucifer within us: okay this one is dope. an isometric ace attorney investigations style game where you cross-examine different suspects and pit their testimonies against each other, as well as present evidence of course. the quirk of this is that it takes place in a religious cyberpunk universe, and you have the ability to see into people's 'third eye' to read their hidden emotions, and find out who is being possessed by a particular daemon. comes out soon it seems!! might have to get this one

star seeker: a much lower budget investigation game, this one seems to be made in rpg maker but with its own webcomic-y art style and an enby protag (although you can choose whatever pronouns you want). the demo is only the tutorial so there's not really much to go on, it's a bit limited. but the full thing will only be $5 anyway so that's fine i guess

land of screens: this one's cute but it strides a very thin line. the premise is practically boomer personified... "reconnect with old friends and family, the problem is everyone's on their dang cell phone all the time!!! no one wants to go outside anymore!" but it's really about life passing you by, the things you miss when you haven't talked to old friends in a long time, the fear that you won't get those times back, etc. definitely some social anxiety too. the game references granblue fantasy so it seems like it is targetting millenials to me. it's by serenity forge who did lifeless planet and neversong.

fire tonight: not much to go on with this one by the dev of fossil hunters (which i know of from that itch.io blm bundle). it's an adventure game of 20-somethings trying to reach other during a city-wide fire, set in the 90s so it seems to be targetting gen xers. has really good modern cartoon style illustrations. but the demo was only about 5 minutes long

love: a puzzle box of stories: first off, there alraedy is a game called LOVE. also some wistful indie folk music plays while you rotate a couple of floors of a building around to see a sad guy sad about his dead wife. not really my kind of thing

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 11, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rappaport posted:

Rappaport posted:

although I guess that could just mean 'teevee' as in the concept of television entertainment existing? :shrug:

All the TVs you see are black and white old timey sets though, so its possible because the tech never really developed past what people got in the early days of consumer adoption? Also we don't know where the split from the timeline Fallout goes.

Mine looks like this

After April of 2019, all steam copies of ED don't have CD keys because they're a new version of the game.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 11, 2020

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Do you have Mesmer on your list? I'd definitely skip that since the description sounded like an immersive sim but in the demo all you do is fetch quests and try to get high numbers on spinners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
someone please make a thread for Amazing Cultivation Simulator my family is dying
why is my phoenixwood spirit relic in conflict with its surroundings when I've got a bunch of other wood on pedestals that's working just fine, whats a spirit relic, what is anything, halp