Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
lol?
lol
lol!
View Results

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Raluek posted:

stymie cadaver sysop
drat, perfect.

i think the character limit is still 16. wonder how to make this happen. i should also cook up an av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
opstibng

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm guessing he has to get something changed with the payment processor or something

probably, i mean the fact that the entire server is just offline rather than a notice saying that you can't buy anything right now. almost certainly because it's a huge pain in the rear end to do that, and less of a huge pain in the rear end to just break DNS or whatever

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

thank you Jeffrey.

Theffrey.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

honestly lowtax should have unloaded this place back in like 2005 when some ~B R A N D~ probably would have given him a couple mil for it.

yeah he would have mismanaged the hell out of the cash and in 2020 he would still be broke and forum-less but he would have had a shot.

instead he just rode it slowly downwards to where he is now.

the real big dick move is to turn this place around and make it profitable while also still being the best forum on the internet. the second part is already done, just gotta make that money.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just charge $10 per year idiots

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
The first thing you should do when you buy some forums is to change the locks. Otherwise your going to go into some obscure control panel one day and find out Lowtax has been squatting in there.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
hope jeffrey had a home inspection done

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lowtax just living in the walls

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

President Beep posted:

chome inspection

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:chome::grovertoot:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

chome inspection

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

President Beep posted:

sir, we did an inspection of your forums and the EPA declared you a superfund site.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

has lowtax ever actually had a real job?

before SA he was writing for a quake mod site and making plain html pages for a dotcom conman

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

he worked for Byron Looper for a while

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

So what happens to the front page now? :o:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

So what happens to the front page now? :o:

the what

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

same thing that’s happened for the last decade. nothing

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
the real hubris is that not that long ago all the goons came to the fore and were paying him 10k a month to save the forums. then it comes out that he's been beating his third wife and has been spending all his free money on cookies from goldbelly, and all the funding dried up. Goldbelly. i can't even believe a company with that name exists.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goldbelly is the worst Bond villain by far

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

as is lowtax I guess

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Roosevelt posted:

the real hubris is that not that long ago all the goons came to the fore and were paying him 10k a month to save the forums. then it comes out that he's been beating his third wife and has been spending all his free money on cookies from goldbelly, and all the funding dried up. Goldbelly. i can't even believe a company with that name exists.

the goon that ate his golden egg

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I worked with a guy who made an extremely popular iOS app during the heyday of apps and he was making 30k a month for a while. he managed to squander every penny and was working the same job as me when I met him, just a software dev somewhere.

if I ever luck into a money fire hose and managed to blow it all with nothing to show for it please put me out to pasture. It would be hard to live with myself as I assemble sandwiches at subway thinking I could be retired if I hadn't bought those loving cars and cookies

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

is lowtax parasite and Jeffrey the rich family who gets murdered

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the tale of lowtax, his err, quirks aside, is a perfect demo of one of my honest takes. it is cheap to exist in flyovers, but incredibly costly to Live in flyovers. i'm not saying he wasn't an idiot with his money...but i get it. its so loving boring there that you just tend to explode piles of money on stupid poo poo periodically to remind yourself that you have a job and the passage of time is real

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1314731000442871808

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sweevo posted:

has lowtax ever actually had a real job?

before SA he was writing for a quake mod site and making plain html pages for a dotcom conman

i thought he was a dba or something when SA started

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

there was also that one-time fundraiser for the xenforo transition, I think it was around $100k

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

i thought he was a dba or something when SA started

yeah, dead beat rear end in a top hat!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

j/k i have no idea

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
you could probably charge people yearly for SA. hell, i'd pay like a hundo a year for forums if it was better maintained

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PokeJoe posted:

I worked with a guy who made an extremely popular iOS app during the heyday of apps and he was making 30k a month for a while. he managed to squander every penny and was working the same job as me when I met him, just a software dev somewhere.

if I ever luck into a money fire hose and managed to blow it all with nothing to show for it please put me out to pasture. It would be hard to live with myself as I assemble sandwiches at subway thinking I could be retired if I hadn't bought those loving cars and cookies

360k per yeah is a dece Bay Area FAANG senior engineer pay, but not exactly a fire hose.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

in 2010 not in the bay area it's enough to be set for life easily if you save some of it

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

kitten emergency posted:

you could probably charge people yearly for SA. hell, i'd pay like a hundo a year for forums if it was better maintained

0.10 per post and you get a free allotment of 10 posts a month. Posts can be purchased in posting blocks that roll over each month. 1000 posts for :10bux: our best value. Also comes with 10 free megaposts that mods can't probate you for. Spend 100 bux and get made IK for a day. What are you waiting for? Act today!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

TerminalRaptor posted:

0.10 per post and you get a free allotment of 10 posts a month.

no way

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

the goon that ate his golden egg

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
charge per posting kilobyte

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
post storage fees. store your posts on S3 or glacier, depending on whether you want anyone to read them.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
jeffrey owes me back payment for content creation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

360k per yeah is a dece Bay Area FAANG senior engineer pay, but not exactly a fire hose.

to someone who was accustomed to making a tenth or even a fifth of that, it absolutely would feel like a fire hose of cash