Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I would actually avoid buying a car because of something like that. Sorry to hear that you're stuck with it

Good luck avoiding that if you're buying a new car with a turbo in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I was at the dealership today for the first time in a couple of years to get my KTM serviced and was browsing the bikes (KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Benelli dealer) as I waited. It was the first time I had seen the current Goldwing in person and I was amazed. They had DCT and non DCT transmission models. I was pleasantly surprised by all the little details. The bikes had smart keys. The rear seat had it own dial seat warmer control. The bike had fog lights on some models. Goldwings aren't my thing but I have to admire how good they are at their intended purpose. I didn't test ride anything but a few aesthetic notes. They didn't have the 2021 Honda sportbikes but they had the 2019/2020 US models. The CBR1000RR in matte black (not the new SP or RR-R) looks much better in person that in pictures but I was especially surprised that the CBR500R in matte black looks aesthetically almost identical to the 1000RR (just way way cheaper components). They also had a bunch of Yamahas. I like the R6 in orange better than the blue bikes. I was amazed at the YZ250X as I didn't know that there are still 250cc 2 stroke dirt bikes. I also saw a used Honda CTX. It looks like a standard but has very forward pegs like a cruiser. The design is smooth and bulbous and kind of modern but not in the angular angry wasp sportbike way. Who the hell was the CTX made for? They didn't have the bikes I was really interested in: the 890R and the Honda RR-R SP. They had a 890R a couple of weeks ago but I believe that it sold pretty quickly. In fact, they sold a bunch of bikes and took a bunch of deposits while I looked around which is pretty impressive for a random Thursday morning. They are going crazy on both sales and service with all the business they can handle.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 24, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yuns posted:

I was at the dealership today for the first time in a couple of years to get my KTM serviced and was browsing the bikes (KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Benelli dealer) as I waited. It was the first time I had seen the current Goldwing in person and I was amazed. They had DCT and non DCT transmission models. I was pleasantly surprised by all the little details. The bikes had smart keys. The rear seat had it own dial seat warmer control. The bike had fog lights on some models. Goldwings aren't my thing but I have to admire how good they are at their intended purpose. I didn't test ride anything but a few aesthetic notes. They didn't have the 2021 Honda sportbikes but they had the 2019/2020 US models. The CBR1000RR in matte black (not the new SP or RR-R) looks much better in person that in pictures but I was especially surprised that the CBR500R in matte black looks aesthetically almost identical to the 1000RR (just way way cheaper components). They also had a bunch of Yamahas. I like the R6 in orange better than the blue bikes. I was amazed at the YZ250X as I didn't know that there are still 250cc 2 stroke dirt bikes. I also saw a used Honda CTX. It looks like a standard but has very forward pegs like a cruiser. The design is smooth and bulbous and kind of modern but not in the angular angry wasp sportbike way. Who the hell was the CTX made for? They didn't have the bikes I was really interested in: the 890R and the Honda RR-R SP. They had a 890R a couple of weeks ago but I believe that it sold pretty quickly. In fact, they sold a bunch of bikes and took a bunch of deposits while I looked around which is pretty impressive for a random Thursday morning. They are going crazy on both sales and service with all the business they can handle.

I have a hard time even registering new wings as motorcycles for all of those reasons but I also love them for all of those reasons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honda really Honda’s the gently caress out of the Goldwing and it rules

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If they didn't cost as much as a Civic and wouldn't violate the "no more than 1 dad bike at a time" rule I'd probably buy one. MY WIFE loves the whole rolling la-z-boy thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Goldwings have always been a technology showcase. They rule for that.

The ol 1986 has features you probably wouldn’t find on luxury cars of the time.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
First ride reports are coming in on the Aprilia RS660 and the reports are absolutely worthless.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/2021-aprilia-rs-660-sport-middleweight-first-ride/
So many words to convey zero information The RS660 is meant to be a budget bike not a true supersport competitor but no discussion of the compromises to get there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

44t riding one will be the first meaningful bit of information we get, even if it's just a balding fat guy pelvic thrusting it on the dyno, unless someone here gets a chance to ride one. 'normal' bike journalism is utterly worthless and could largely be replaced by corporate PR copy, which it largely is anyway.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've heard the 660 is transcendent; luminous.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

44t riding one will be the first meaningful bit of information we get, even if it's just a balding fat guy pelvic thrusting it on the dyno, unless someone here gets a chance to ride one. 'normal' bike journalism is utterly worthless and could largely be replaced by corporate PR copy, which it largely is anyway.

Yes but according to the guy who went on a paid holiday to italy paid for by the mfr, the bike is excellent

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I love that trash article. Extolling the lightness. How light? No info. Praising the torque curve. What is the torque? No info. Power to weight? Likewise praised absent any data. The only true data is the seat height of 32.5" which I'm sure wasn't even measured but just copied off the press release.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

None of those numbers would tell you anything useful about how the bike rides even if you've got them. Describing experiences seems to be a forgotten art.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Describing experiences seems to be a forgotten art.

(stolen from JSB in the other thread)

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Slavvy posted:

You mean John from Bikeworld, right? 44T will do as they do, dumb jokes, Fagan Aprilia extreme dick sucking and eurotrash trustfund bullshit from BvG.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The only bike journo I can stand is Neevesy

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I like Ari and Zack too. They're among the most fun American bike journos.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Oh yeah they are great. Forgot about them mostly since they went to paywalled land

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

They are out from behind the paywall now! They are doing content for revzilla’s YouTube channel now.

Their last video owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0O8Q0x38mI

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ryan at Fortnine is still my favorite, though Ari and Zack are a very close second.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Ryan F9's team has great production quality but he can come off a little stuffy/lecture-y. Ari and Zack do wacky poo poo and have fun with it (2-up laps of Laguna Seca on GoldWings, anyone? Adventure scooters?), so they take the win for me. Hopefully all of them can continue making great content.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

Ryan F9's team has great production quality but he can come off a little stuffy/lecture-y. Ari and Zack do wacky poo poo and have fun with it (2-up laps of Laguna Seca on GoldWings, anyone? Adventure scooters?), so they take the win for me. Hopefully all of them can continue making great content.

IMO it's like the difference between MotorWeek and Top Gear. One is quasi-educational and one is quasi-edutainment.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Ryan F9's team has great production quality but he can come off a little stuffy/lecture-y.

Yeah, that’s his bit though. All the equations and the chalkboards and experiments and such. He’s your goofy physics teacher doing his best to get you to care about the curriculum so you learn it.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
The quality of some youtube videos in the past 3-4 years has surpassed most television at this point. It's incredible.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oceanlife posted:

The quality of some youtube videos in the past 3-4 years has surpassed most television at this point. It's incredible.

It’s soooo much better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It’s soooo much better.

The Grand Tour on TV is way worse than Ryan F9's videos, for example.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Yeah, that’s his bit though. All the equations and the chalkboards and experiments and such. He’s your goofy physics teacher doing his best to get you to care about the curriculum so you learn it.

Yep, totally get it. Sometimes I'm in the mood for RyanF9 the motorcycle science guy, but mostly if I'm watching something on YouTube I just want to watch someone do fun poo poo that I wish I were doing. Personal preference. I wasn't trying to crap on Ryan F9 for being stodgy or anything.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

The Grand Tour on TV is way worse than Ryan F9's videos, for example.

Clarkson is a trash human whose on-screen persona is just a caricature of himself, Hammond is a whiney, unfunny, gracelessly aging turd who dresses like a PUA and can never get his hair dye right, and May is genuinely amusing and seems like a nice guy to be around but unfortunately doesn't have the energy or modern enough interests to carry a show about modern cars. May's shtick is interesting enough on its own but only works on GT as a foil to Clarkson and Hammond. Clarkson and Hammond are barely veiled in their homophobia and misogyny (despite having a gay woman test driver now) and I always get the sense that they're racist in private. None of them have had any interesting ideas in like a decade. You're completely right and I just needed a moment to complain about that stupid show again.

Jazzzzz posted:

Yep, totally get it. Sometimes I'm in the mood for RyanF9 the motorcycle science guy, but mostly if I'm watching something on YouTube I just want to watch someone do fun poo poo that I wish I were doing. Personal preference. I wasn't trying to crap on Ryan F9 for being stodgy or anything.

Yeah, I have to be in a specific mood for F9. I tried watching it while I was working out for a while and it was just frustrating.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 6, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Clarkson is a trash human who's on-screen persona is just a caricature of himself, Hammond is a whiney, unfunny, gracelessly aging turd who dresses like a PUA and can never get his hair dye right, and May is genuinely amusing and seems like a nice guy to be around but unfortunately doesn't have the energy or modern enough interests to carry a show about modern cars. May's shtick is interesting enough on its own but only works on GT as a foil to Clarkson and Hammond. Clarkson and Hammond are barely veiled in their homophobia and misogyny (despite having a gay woman test driver now) and I always get the sense that they're racist in private. None of them have had any interesting ideas in like a decade. You're completely right and I just needed a moment to complain about that stupid show again.

Yeah, I have to be in a specific mood for F9. I tried watching it while I was working out for a while and it was just frustrating.

you seem angry

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I mean he's not really wrong, but I can't help myself, so much of me loves what old top gear was and grew up with that being just the pinnacle of a lot of stuff for me. I don't really know too much about Chris Harris but I do like him a lot and have honestly thought he's done a pretty good job carrying the last few seasons of the show.

I still watched the grand tour because that's one of those places where I made that personal exception. Also insert no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is the best Clarkson related thing and I will field no arguments to the contrary

https://twitter.com/distortedvideos/status/1217486565846462464?s=21

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the best Clarkson related thing and I will field no arguments to the contrary

https://twitter.com/distortedvideos/status/1217486565846462464?s=21

Ok yeah that’s pretty fuckin good

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oceanlife posted:

Big budget youtubers generally have to earn it by being good in the first place, or at least by being popular, whereas TV runs entirely on nepotism.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Aprilia showed a new colorway/livery for the RS660, Acid Gold, which looks like green to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGIUX6EgDTw/

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 10, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

nooooo Aprilia leave the neon puke colorways to BMW

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the headlights didn’t give it away as an Aprilia I would 100% believe that’s the new Ninja

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That color is fully in the territory of the new Toyota and Subaru colors that are doing their damndest to break the mold and make millennials buying family cars feel young and sporty.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone have opinions/experiences on the Versys 300X? It seems to check a lot of boxes for a new rider down here in southern arizona where it can be fun to explore gravel roads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yuns posted:

Aprilia showed a new colorway/livery for the RS600, Acid Gold, which looks like green to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGIUX6EgDTw/

It’s me. I’m the dumb old person trying to feel young this appeals to :shobon:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm not loving the expected MSRP of 11,050 euros. That would be about $13,000 if directly converted but usually the MSRP are closer to euro - dollar parity rather than directly dependent on exchange rate so we are look at maybe $11,000-$12,000 in the U.S. I'd be hard pressed to choose the RS660 over a KTM 890R at that price or to pay a few more bucks and get an R6. The RS660 was supposed to make sport middle weight fun and accessible with 100 hp is a fun cost effective package, but this pricing isn't really doing it for me.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The best summary of the RS660 so far done by a UK insurance company of all things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4b_0ENlimE&t=188s