Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mr. Pickles posted:

logging in once a month to buy black market lvl ups, will become PL in 3 months lmao

I'm still anxiously awaiting news about when the next update is, so I know when to buy mine. Don't want to buy early since I'm still playing and getting levels that make the eventual black market one more valuable, but I don't want to miss a month either. :ohdear:

Merijn posted:

I'm still amazed by how poor the loot from killing an Ashen Lord is. If you do Flameheart and an Ashen Lord back to back, you can really see how even a low-tier ghost ship drops more loot than the Ashen Lord. :geno: It's really 5-6x more loot in total.

It's especially weird given how comparatively long and boring those Ashen Lord fights are.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Randomly decided to solo an Ashen Lord one evening. Spent the entire time running around, slicing and shooting him. Like, 2 hours minimum. Finally killed him, got all the treasure loaded up, and then my computer crashed before I could cash any of it in. I was so angry. I've upgraded my machine since, though, so hopefully that won't happen again.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Oof, sorry, that's brutal. I killed exactly one to get my Dashing Daredevil title (the one voice-acted by Shadow Weaver from She-Ra), picked up the commendation for selling the unused skull (that our allied buddies graciously let us have; I truly expected to be backstabbed on that one), and I doubt I'm ever doing that poo poo again unless it means paying it forward.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 8, 2020

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I really hope that battle gets rebalanced to at least give the Ashen Lord less health when you're on a sloop. Or like 3x more loot. I'm trying to get all the commendations for killing every AL 5x, but it's random which one spawns next.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Merijn posted:

I really hope that battle gets rebalanced to at least give the Ashen Lord less health when you're on a sloop. Or like 3x more loot. I'm trying to get all the commendations for killing every AL 5x, but it's random which one spawns next.

Even if you hate PvP, I swear its easier to just ambush somebody to get the skull. My son and I have done 3 of these now and my god its awful to do with just 2 people. The 4th skull we got we actually ambushed someone on the last phase and killed them. Then a brig came up and killed us and ended up killing the lord. They weren't very good and we were doing very well 2v3 against them so they grabbed 2 ashen chests and the skull and tried to make an escape. My son sneaked the skull off their ship after we wiped them one time. They had it hiding in a chest and thought they were sneaky. They never checked it and ran away with only 2 ashen chests. I really would have liked to see their faces when they got to the outpost and it slowly dawned on them that we got the skull.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I tried running some devil's roar merchant missions solo yesterday and ended up having a really crappy night. I got megalodon aggro, and stopped and killed it. Got kraken aggro almost immediately after that, and that was a little messier because I didn't realize I could sword lunge out of the grabber tentacles until the end, but I killed it too. No loot on that one, because I didn't know to raise sails when I hit the ink so I just zoomed away when it disappeared. IMMEDIATELY after that, AGAIN, I had a skeleton sloop spawn on me which sank me after a slow and extremely unfun battle of attrition. Losing to players I can see coming and have a chance to run from if I do things right is one thing, but losing a night's work because the game absolutely will not stop spawning loving events on top of me sucks rear end. All I had to do was make it from Ruby Falls to Ancient Spire, there's no way this much poo poo should happen to one person on such a short trip.

The megalodon and kraken are fine, but the skeleton sloop is extremely frustrating solo. This is the second time I've been sunk by one. Without cursed cannonballs, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do. I put so many goddamn holes in that boat and it didn't matter. They just kept repairing and ramming and pounding me with endless curses and holes and chainshot, while my own chainshot went straight through their mast with no effect (multiple times). Having to bail and repair by yourself while also getting hit with nonstop CC like limpballs or dying to an unlucky cannon hit with no one else on the boat while you're respawning, needing to handle this while somehow also positioning yourself and shooting shoot back enough to sink them and make it stop (since running to the outpost did not make them gently caress off like a mega would) all at the same time, all while being thrown around on rough seas (which further complicate your ability to get cannonball hits in the rare moments when you have time to shoot) and getting stuck on all the spots in the sloop that have weird stupid collision that snags you... it sucks. Once they got my mast and then killed me with a follow-up cannonball that was it, by the time I respawned in there was simply too much poo poo that needed saving to triage (and I think just the demasting might have been enough, even if I hadn't died). I couldn't fix the mast without sinking from all the holes, and fixing the holes without sails was futile because they had freedom to just keep creating more. I lasted for quite a while but had a pretty good idea that it was hopeless the whole time. It was an incredibly infuriating experience that made me want to never play solo again.

Is there any trick to this that isn't ballast or barrel balls that you may not have?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 10, 2020

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Unsinkabear posted:

while my own chainshot went straight through their mast with no effect (multiple times)

Chainshot does not work against skeleton ships. It sucks you learned this the hard way in an unfortunate situation. You probably would have been fine if you had maintained regular shots on deck to kill any cannoneers and on the hull to stop any incomplete repairs.

Many people are very jealous that you got the PvE trifecta without even trying though.

It also sounds like you got the rare "skeleton ship/megalodon does not stop following you ever" bug.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

life_source posted:

Chainshot does not work against skeleton ships. It sucks you learned this the hard way in an unfortunate situation. You probably would have been fine if you had maintained regular shots on deck to kill any cannoneers and on the hull to stop any incomplete repairs.

Many people are very jealous that you got the PvE trifecta without even trying though.

It also sounds like you got the rare "skeleton ship/megalodon does not stop following you ever" bug.

Oof... alright, thank you. That's kind of an arbitrary thing; I feel like that should telegraphed somehow. But it's good to know to focus on regular shots early on, and also that the relentless following behavior isn't normal.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 10, 2020

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah it's been a long time since I ran into an actually agro meg or skelly ship, usually I have to hunt them. I know it doesn't really help to hear it, but you just got really unlucky.

As far as the kraken goes, my crew almost always checks the sky for active events before we set out on a longer sail since fighting it is a bit of a hassle and there's not much reward for beating it. No active events means we'll just stay where we're at and resupply until someone else gets caught or another event spawns.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

the skeleton sloop is extremely frustrating solo. This is the second time I've been sunk by one. Without cursed cannonballs, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do. I put so many goddamn holes in that boat and it didn't matter. They just kept repairing and ramming and pounding me with endless curses and holes and chainshot, while my own chainshot went straight through their mast with no effect (multiple times).

Firstly, you cannot dismast skeleton or ghost ships, so you absolutely should not waste a single chain shot on them. If you strike the hull you will make small holes like you would on a player ship, but it's not worth wasting the chain shot that you will need for player ships. If you are shooting higher trying to take out their mast higher up, you essentially have zero chance of accomplishing anything vs. the skelly ship and are wasting shots where you could be putting holes in their hull.

Also, I'm pretty sure that skelly ships never use chain shot themselves. If your mast takes a direct hit from a cannonball, it will take 1/3 damage, so 3 direct hits to the mast can take it down even if they are not chain, this is likely what happened to you. So sometimes you will hear that splintery sound if you take a hit but the mast stays up. If you inspect it you will often see it needs a plank or two.

Against skelly ships you should emphasize just using regular cannonballs on their hull. Sometimes you can sink them with as few as six cannonballs, even less if you set of a keg they are carrying.

Unlike player ships, skelly ships will not get in a turning fight with you. So you generally don't have to figure in lead or lag in your shots. They will either run parallel to you, or ram, or turn in random ways then come parallel again. When parallel you should be able to get several shots on them, the only thing you need to do is get the elevation right and then hit as many as you can once you have dialed it in.

When the skelly ship initially spawns on you it will always be running parallel to you on one side or the other. It will rise up out of the water shortly after that horn blare music. So when you get the initial musical cue you should make sure both cannons are loaded with regular cannonballs, and make sure you have ten more cannonballs on you, have the ship on a straight safe course (not about to run into something) with the wheel straight. Then when the ship spawns you should be able to get a handful of hits on it right away. This is the core damage you need to put on it to get it to sink.

The advantage the skelly ship has is more crew to repair and infinite ammo/magic balls. The main advantage you have is the ability to bail water. You need to get to the point where beating a skelly sloop with regular cannonballs is easy for you and you only rarely lose because you got knocked off the ship or killed by cannon at an inopportune time, or it starts hitting you with a succession of magic balls (sleep, jig or anchor) at a very bad time.

Here is a sample of a fight against a skelly sloop that spawns on you. This one was a LOT more difficult than the average ones I have, because it kept knocking me off repair, and because I ran into a rock because I spent so much time below trying to repair:

https://twitch.tv/videos/766480262

Here's a second example, this time not where the skelly ship spawned on me, but where I saw it and went after it:

https://twitch.tv/videos/766491111

Third example, where I started the fight again:

https://twitch.tv/videos/766537175

You should probably practice just going up to skelly sloops you find, when you are well supplied and not otherwise in a fight. They will usually stop at various islands and forts, and you can usually get the first few hits in.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there any trick to this that isn't ballast or barrel balls that you may not have?

For skoops I usually just hit the same spot about 10x, right on their cannon so they don't fire back. That is usually enough to sink them. Sometimes it takes a few more but that is the general idea. If I have a 2nd player or I'm on a bigger ship then its sails up and turret/turtle mode, spin the ship to keep them on broadside as much as possible.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate all the helpful answers and genuine understanding for my rageposting. I feel ready to handle the next one

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

My general strategy for sinking skeleton sloop is just what was posted above me: go straight, shoot their cannon. It will prevent them shooting, and keep a hole open so they full up with water. Optionally raise your sail to half.

Though sometimes things go sideways and it gets a lot harder. It happens. Usually it doesn't. DR cargo runs is 95% easy mode, good money. There's only very rarely other people there, and volcanoes won't bother you since delivering/picking up cargo doesn't take much time. The storm doesn't exist there, Kraken is rare and the night is not as dark.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Merijn posted:

My general strategy for sinking skeleton sloop is just what was posted above me: go straight, shoot their cannon. It will prevent them shooting, and keep a hole open so they full up with water. Optionally raise your sail to half.

Wait, really? So what, it'll create an unrepairable hole in their ship? Does this work on brigs and galleons too, or only sloops? Hmm, interesting to hear either way. (Also, does hitting the cannon on a player sloop create a repairable hole, or nothing at all? I've never tested that, but your post made me give it some thought)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's not that it specifically creates a special kind of hole in the ship, it's more that hitting the same spot over and over does damage to whoever's on the other side of that impact zone, be it pubbie or skellie, and they can't repair it. As long as you can keep sinking cannonballs into that same spot, it locks that hole down. And since skeletons don't bail water, they have no counter.

It works on player ships too, yeah, but it's less effective since they can just turn and bail. It's one of the reasons I advocate for never dropping the anchor; if you jumped while sitting still, a good crew can just hammer your capstan and your cannons and there's nothing you can really do to fight back except to try and board their boat.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, I meant keep shooting. Hitting that general area around the cannon does enough splash damage that it will create a hole, prevent skeletons from repairing it, and prevent them from shooting the cannon.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Sorry if I missed this already but it can sometimes be helpful to light the deck of the skeleton ship on fire to kill gunners if you're having trouble with them and putting holes in their boat.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Sorry if I missed this already but it can sometimes be helpful to light the deck of the skeleton ship on fire to kill gunners if you're having trouble with them and putting holes in their boat.

It’s also funny to make them burn.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Aiming for the cannon totally works. I got plenty of practice yesterday when the game decided my partner and I wanted to fight skelly sloops three different times. Two of those three times it spawned a sloop and a megalodon on us at the same time. I am certifiably blessed/cursed. Tag both of them if that happens, because they'll apparently fight each other and if one dies you get a boost to your emissary flag for the "kill" even if you kept running and they killed each other. I didn't get a chance to see who killed who, but we got a ton of flag cred, so I choose to believe it was an Ahab and the Whale situation. The second time we tried to take on both, but ended up losing the mega as we ran with the sloop. Can't win em all. :shrug:

We had a nice kraken-proof server thanks to a lit FotD that nobody wanted to run (there was a Reaper's Bounty on it, so it may have been bait? Idk), and we only encountered two player ships all day. One brig mysteriously watched us as we reached an outpost, panicked, tried to crash dock for haste, and instead managed to send our ship speeding off directly towards them with neither of us on it. They bailed after that display, and I have no idea why. Maybe they mistook my incompetence for aggression? Our other contact was another brig full of kids who wanted to ally. They were totally disorganized and doing all of their comms in game, and we absolutely could have killed them, but it never occurred to me. It was too wholesome, they were so stoked about our extra af red and gold boat, amazed by the merchant trade goods they'd apparently never seen before, and eager to show us all their treasure. Only one kid was wise enough to yell at his friends to stop inviting me on board and giving away how much loot they had. He'll do alright. We gave them a spare storage crate and some cheapo chests since they were running gold hoarders, allied up, and went our separate ways. It was pretty cute.

Tl;dr: we basically got the opportunity to just farm out sharks and skoops while we running cargo in the Roar all Sunday. I have over a million points in the Merchant emissary ledger now; I reckon that'll be enough for the sails. :smuggo:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 12, 2020

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

a lit FotD that nobody wanted to run (there was a Reaper's Bounty on it, so it may have been bait? Idk)

FOTD has a standard set of loot in the loot vault. This loot includes two Reaper chests which can be either Reaper's Bounty (gold) or Reaper's Chest (red/doubloon).

As I understand it, as soon as someone starts the fort event (lights the lanterns and places the ritual skull), the loot in the vault is spawned into existence. Thus you will see both the red skull cloud in the sky, and see the Reaper's Bounty or Chests on the map. The vault is still locked at this point.

Once the boss is defeated, the FOTD Key is spawned into existence and will also show up on the map until it's used to open the vault (I suppose it could also eventually sink/despawn if it was left sitting around in the water after the key holder got sunk?) So Reaper chests in vault, no red skull cloud and a key on the map would mean the FOTD has been completed but the vault not yet opened by the key holder.

No red skull cloud and no FOTD key on the map, but Reaper Chests/Bounties in the vault would suggest the FOTD has been completed at some point recently and the vault opened. The loot is either being processed, or the loot is already gone and those Reaper chests left behind.

As the FOTD often results in big fights over the loot, all kinds of variations happen in what loot is taken or left behind. It's not at all uncommon for people to leave those Reaper chests behind to avoid their ship being marked as they go to turn in the rest of the loot. If there is a difficult fight over the loot sometimes only the Chest of Legends (Athena rep chest) will be delivered, or stolen, as that's the one piece of loot that can only be obtained by completing FOTD or Athena voyages.

Also, I'm glad you are getting better at killing the skelly sloops. Really I usually consider them welcome when doing any kind of emissary run as they usually help level my flag as well as provide a net increase in supply (they drop a supply crate that usually has about 30 wood 30 cannonballs). Occasionally you can get really unlucky from magic cannonball spam, or if solo you can get sunk if killed by a cannonball or knocked off the ship while heavily damaged, but usually it's not too hard and the most serious complication is other player ships attacking you or other world event like Kraken or Meg attacking you simultaneously.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Zwabu posted:

FOTD has a standard set of loot in the loot vault. This loot includes two Reaper chests which can be either Reaper's Bounty (gold) or Reaper's Chest (red/doubloon).

The loot in the FOTD vault is actually a lot better than regular forts: 1 athena chest, 2 reaper's chests, 2 stronghold chests, 2 ancient bonedust, 4 mega kegs, 4 stronghold skulls, 4 regular kegs, a collectors chest and 4 more mermaid gems. (wiki)

Also I think that a Kraken can spawn when FOTD is active. Just not when there's already a regular fort, skeleton fleet, flameheart, or Ashen Lord. FOTD isn't part of the normal 'world events' rotation.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Interesting, thanks for the clarifications. The red skull was still up, so all I can think of is that someone lit FotD but couldn't clear it. And I guess we just got lucky to be lackin' kraken

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm still anxiously awaiting news about when the next update is, so I know when to buy mine. Don't want to buy early since I'm still playing and getting levels that make the eventual black market one more valuable, but I don't want to miss a month either. :ohdear:

Buy them, buy them all and become PL without playing!! I have to say, the 3 basic companies are a breeze to lvl to 40, but it gets a lot slower from then on. Luckily they added a ton of ways to get doubloons so you'll never get stonewalled for lack of blue currency

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

You can only buy those levels once a month, though. They restricted that when the Reaper's Chests were introduced.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

New content starts this week, everyone. I'm not sure what the exact time/day the drop is for US timezones, but don't forget to buy your level-up tokens beforehand!

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 27, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they need to add like, at least five more songs. i would easily pay for the game again if they did that.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

punishedkissinger posted:

they need to add like, at least five more songs. i would easily pay for the game again if they did that.

Did you miss that they recently added a bunch of new shanties? Or did you mean five more than that. Because I'm very happy with the music situation these days

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CainsDescendant posted:

Did you miss that they recently added a bunch of new shanties? Or did you mean five more than that. Because I'm very happy with the music situation these days

I've only been playing for a few months so I think i've had all of them. There arent unlockable ones right?

Edit: Like how is there no Nearer My God To Thee

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 5, 2020

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Oh yeah, you got them all. I just assumed you were asking as a lapsed player from the bad old days when there was only like 5 shanties lol. The more shanties the merrier, for sure

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'm going to try to grind out pirate legend in the next 27 days, so I can get the spooky glowy outfits from the current event. Right now my worst rep is Gold Hoarders at level 44. I asked previously how to rapidly level them up and was advised to run through treasure hunts in Devil's Roar. That totally makes sense, but doing that in geyser hell sounds like, well... hell, and the Roar is chock full of other ships this week thanks to the holiday quests.

So what would be the next best way to get Hoarders to 49 ASAP?

Regular treasure maps and vaults seem pretty poor at my level, and I seem to always get order skulls and merchant boxes from things like megas or world events that drop a "random" mix. I've been flying the Hoarders flag nonstop and still leveling the other two as fast or faster. Pretty stumped.

(also if this is an impossible madman's quest, please tell me)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm going to try to grind out pirate legend in the next 27 days, so I can get the spooky glowy outfits from the current event. Right now my worst rep is Gold Hoarders at level 44. I asked previously how to rapidly level them up and was advised to run through treasure hunts in Devil's Roar. That totally makes sense, but doing that in geyser hell sounds like, well... hell, and the Roar is chock full of other ships this week thanks to the holiday quests.

Regular treasure maps and vaults seem pretty poor at my level, and I seem to always get order skulls and merchant boxes from things like megas or world events that drop a "random" mix. I've been flying the Hoarders flag nonstop and still leveling the other two as fast or faster. Pretty stumped.

When you run GH emissary do you consistently get it up to level 5 and get the emissary quest and do that?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Zwabu posted:

When you run GH emissary do you consistently get it up to level 5 and get the emissary quest and do that?

Nope, not yet. My partner and I are often limited to "short" (for SoT) sessions of just a couple hours at a time, so we usually just run our flag of choice while we're out doing holiday events or whatever. And since we get very few treasure chests to fondle that way, we're never passively maxing out the Hoarders flag like we did the other two.

I'm trying to open up some more time for this grind project, but it's hit or miss.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Devil's Roar is okay, just harpoon to the sea bed in an easily escapable spot and hot-foot it back to the boat if the ground starts shaking. If the local volcano starts erupting, get moving, otherwise get back to chest harvesting. No-one goes there so if you get lucky with captains you can rack up treasure super quickly.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Tons of people are there right now. This week's entire holiday event phase takes place there. That's why I was asking for next best.

(I'll keep that in mind for the following three weeks though, thank you)

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Ah, I've not been on this week. Time to get spicy (sunk)!

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Buy a few GH voyages and cycle through them until you can find a small island with several chests, or at the very least a couple easy maps near each other. Just don't bother with riddles, huge islands, and probably treasure vaults if you're looking to grind things out.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Devil's roar is better for order of souls because you can use the geysers to kill the waves of skeletons. For GH I would look at getting 3-4 hours to burn and getting to rank 5, get the emissary quest, lower/raise rinse/repeat. Do the fleet event that gives a ton of skeleton chests as a reward when they're up. Also if you can get a 4 person crew together to vault stack you can really get a ton of chests to turn in with 4 keys(with the aim of getting them all close like at mermaids and crescent or whatever) If its normally just you and one other person that you play with it I recommend hitting up the official Discord and the Sea of Thieves Community discord, the people there are going to be better than open crew, although sometimes just barely. Then again you will meet good players who you gel with and become part of your regular crew; my buddy and I met a french canadian who's really good and gels with our playstyle and sense of humor; plus having a brig/galleon makes the game more fun because they're faster and you have better firepower. Also more people to be constantly jumping off for barrels/onto island to stock up.

Also, just to check, you're keeping all the loot on board(gh loot at least) until you're level 5 right? If you aren't, thats an easy change that will boost you rep gains significantly.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Can't tell if this is worth playing with some friends. What happens if you don't have a full crew of 4 on at the time? What if there are more than 4 of us playing (not necessarily at the same time)> Are you locked out of another crew's boat?

I'm skeptical of the grind and actual content, not the fun with friends stuff. We have 6 of us playing Destiny and only one of us actually plays outside of the designated 3 hour raid time slot. I'm not big on grinding.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

KingKapalone posted:

Can't tell if this is worth playing with some friends. What happens if you don't have a full crew of 4 on at the time? What if there are more than 4 of us playing (not necessarily at the same time)> Are you locked out of another crew's boat?

I'm skeptical of the grind and actual content, not the fun with friends stuff. We have 6 of us playing Destiny and only one of us actually plays outside of the designated 3 hour raid time slot. I'm not big on grinding.

There's a 2 person sloop, a 3 person brig, and a 4 person galleon, and if you have more than 4 friends who want to play you are basically poo poo out of luck. I know goons have gotten multiple ships going on a server but it means finding some random ship on the sea, convincing them to invite your friend, and then having them leave if you want to invite more people / not play with a random person.

The whole progression is a grind but it's only really a grind for cosmetics, so if that doesn't matter to you then I wouldn't worry about the grind. There's basically no gameplay difference beyond skill from a new player to a 300+ hour pirate legend.

Since the game is on Steam and steam is good about refunds I would give it a try, it really is super fun with friends. There are some story missions called Tall Tales which are all pretty fun and varied. You will find out super quick if it's not something you care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

You aren't required to have a full crew, and there are smaller ships for smaller crews. I often play solo, and only real issue I run into is difficulty fighting off bigger, antagonistic crews. That said, it's not a constant obstacle, and there are strategies for outrunning the bigger ships. Unfortunately, the game isn't designed for bigger groups than four. You can theoretically make two crews and align your ships, but there is no easy way of getting on the same server together, an intentional design choice to prevent armadas from dominating a server.

There is a decent amount of content, missions, and random events to keep things from getting too repetitive. Keep in mind that all the rewards in the game are purely aesthetic, so if you get tired of doing one particular thing, there's no reason not to mix it up.

Edit: To add to PlushCow's suggestion, it is also on the XBox Game Pass on console and PC, so for $10 you can try it out for a month.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 30, 2020