Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pseudodragon posted:

The best part about the Hart Foundation was that the angle was self sustaining and they could have kept it going indefinitely without getting too stale. They just needed to pop into Canada every once in awhile and the nuclear face heat and the crowd would get riled up on their return too.

Every time they go to Canada nowadays and Sami Zayn gets GIGANTIC reactions makes me mad all over again that WWE don't realize (or actively don't care) about the potential they have with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Every time they go to Canada nowadays and Sami Zayn gets GIGANTIC reactions makes me mad all over again that WWE don't realize (or actively don't care) about the potential they have with him.

I fully believe that AEW would've had Jericho's 30th anniversary in Winnipeg if they'd been able to.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pretty sure this Twitch channel is on that Germany RAW episode I mentioned which leads to all of the Hart stuff right now: https://www.twitch.tv/sir_kayfabe

If it's not that exact show, it's got to be close because they were recapping the Owen/Davey issues.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seriously, just look at how loving over these dudes are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4ljegbENs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw1xxJwZbFQ

This second one is sad because he'd already started his heel turn but they should have loving just run with "heel in America, face in Canada" ala Bret, it would have loving worked, but instead they had him poo poo on the fans after the big celebration for the HEAAAAAAAAT.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
god I want to see him get an actual run in a non-garbage company before he retires

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

god I want to see him get an actual run in a non-garbage company before he retires

I don’t want to see AEW get flooded with too many people who’ve gotten established in WWE, but come on. Sami and Kevin would be awesome there.

Steenerico vs Young Bucks one more time on TNT, please.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

harperdc posted:

I don’t want to see AEW get flooded with too many people who’ve gotten established in WWE, but come on. Sami and Kevin would be awesome there.

Steenerico vs Young Bucks one more time on TNT, please.

I think at this point they've shown that they can do really well with homegrown/non-WWE talent to the point where I feel people should discard the idea that it's going to get filled to the brim with 'wwe castoffs' as I see it put a bunch

plus there's a real wide gap between getting hired by the WWE and being utilized well by the company + basically everyone I'd like to see get a chance away from vince are people horribly underused if not outright mistreated

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lamuella posted:

I mean, I've heard of carrying a guy, but this is ridiculous

Ha!

Is there a name for Angelicos omi-knee-bar-leglock-what-have-you?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

I fully believe that AEW would've had Jericho's 30th anniversary in Winnipeg if they'd been able to.

I hadn't even considered this possibility and God that would have been incredible.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are there any wrestlers who've upgraded one of their signature moves into their finisher (considering they have an existing finisher)?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Schneider Heim posted:

Are there any wrestlers who've upgraded one of their signature moves into their finisher (considering they have an existing finisher)?

Shawn Michaels. When he first went solo after Marty jumped through the Barber Shop window, the Superkick was set for The Teardrop Suplex. And then it was the set up for the Piledriver when he made that his finisher.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jerusalem posted:

Well it wasn't a match, but I think the true-blowoff to the feud was the absolutely loving incredible promo that Bret Hart (yes, a Bret Hart promo!) did to reform the Hart Foundation in 1997. Instead of fighting his brother, he patched things up with him, and it really got the "Heel in America, Face in Canada" angle going which is one of my all time favorites.

Look, basically I'll take any excuse to post this, okay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvbjokBVM8

There is absolutely no way to describe how differently this reads in 2020 compared to 1996.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Shawn Michaels was doing the superkick as a set up for his weird back suplex. That's the best example I can think off the top of my head, like the V-Trigger could possibly be taken as this phenomenon, but at the same point it's never overtaken the One Winged Angel. I'm pretty sure the Hangman was doing the buckshot lariat before he made that his finish, so Buckshot Lariat replacing the Deadeye/Rite of Passage can be my new go to.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It was so nice of Page to give OC his finisher back.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 10, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Shawn Michaels. When he first went solo after Marty jumped through the Barber Shop window, the Superkick was set for The Teardrop Suplex. And then it was the set up for the Piledriver when he made that his finisher.

I was bummed he stopped doing the pileedriver, both him and Bret have great piledrivers

Also the People's Elbow was originally just a signature move

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tito Santana's Flying Jalepeno Forearm was the setup to his finisher the Figure Four, then that changed to the Forearm being his finisher

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I was bummed he stopped doing the pileedriver, both him and Bret have great piledrivers

Also the People's Elbow was originally just a signature move

Thank you for reminding me that The Rock finished off CM Punk’s long title reign with The People’s Elbow. :doh:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
AJ Styles phenomenal forearm was just a transitional move in his moveset for over a decade.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Also KENTA's finisher was not the Go 2 Sleep. That was the set up to the Busaiku Knee Kick.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Wow! I didn't know Michaels had used a different finisher before the Sweet Chin Music, among the other examples given.

So there's still hope of SANADA using any of his other cool moves to replace the Skull End......

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Wow! I didn't know Michaels had used a different finisher before the Sweet Chin Music, among the other examples given.

So there's still hope of SANADA using any of his other cool moves to replace the Skull End......

The Skull End is already the set up move for the rounding body press

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Chris Jericho's Lionsault was a mid match move but he used it to finish off Regal at Wrestlemania and maybe he used it when he "won" the WWF title from Triple H in 2000. Jericho has probably had more finishers than most, Liontamer, Lionsault, Walls of Jericho (they're different :colbert:), Breakdown, Flashback, Codebreaker, Judas Effect. One of the earliest Smackdown games also had him using the double powerbomb as well, which I think he dropped soon after his WWF debut.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wasn't the Kamigoye a transitional while Kota was regularly doing his Golden State Power bomb?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have trouble considering the lionsault a finishing move when he would rarely even successfully land it, let alone finish a match with it.

Here’s a question: are there any other signature moves that get blocked/countered as often as the lionsault?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Diabolik900 posted:

I have trouble considering the lionsault a finishing move when he would rarely even successfully land it, let alone finish a match with it.

Here’s a question: are there any other signature moves that get blocked/countered as often as the lionsault?

Any power bomb against Kidman?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Chris Jericho's Lionsault was a mid match move but he used it to finish off Regal at Wrestlemania and maybe he used it when he "won" the WWF title from Triple H in 2000. Jericho has probably had more finishers than most, Liontamer, Lionsault, Walls of Jericho (they're different :colbert:), Breakdown, Flashback, Codebreaker, Judas Effect. One of the earliest Smackdown games also had him using the double powerbomb as well, which I think he dropped soon after his WWF debut.
iirc he hurt someone with the double powerbomb, maybe road dogg or x-pac, and that was the end of it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Kenny Omega's "You Can't Escape" combo

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

oh but seriously I posted:

Is there a name for Angelicos omi-knee-bar-leglock-what-have-you?

According to this video he calls it the Navarro Special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKLP7rie0S0

Dunno if there's a technical name for it though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Diabolik900 posted:

Flair going to the top rope might be the most famous one

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Benne posted:

Flair going to the top rope might be the most famous one

Yeah but in that case getting countered is the signature part of it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

It was so nice of Page to give OC his finisher back.

Deadeye really sucked.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Pylons posted:

Deadeye really sucked.

i couldnt even remember what it looked like and yeah, that thing was a hot turd. no oomph at all, OC makes it look like he's dumping the guy on his head like a sack of poo poo, Hangman was delicately dropping fellas on the back of his knees, just doesn't work

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Lionsault seems less a finisher and more a an alternative to a roll up for Jericho. He'll only win by surprise with it - he never exactly slowly trudged and built himself up to just the Lionsault. It's always a flash pin when it actually works.

I'd imagine an element to him stopping the double powerbomb was that pretty much he's always on the small end for most of his opponents. The WWE seems to have a semi-strict format of even submission wrestlers having an impact finisher to protect people and do generic drama spots. Benoit had the headbutt, Angle had the olympic slam, Jericho sort of floundered on having one for a bit. IIRC the Breakdown was the Stroke, and Flashback was just a reverse neckbreaker? Stroke is meh, and the other just lacks the yer dead power to it.

Would Goldberg's Spear fall into this? For the longest time I just bought it as something that fed into the Jackhammer instead of on equal footing as death.

Lid posted:

AJ Styles phenomenal forearm was just a transitional move in his moveset for over a decade.

I imagine this is the story of a lot of striking finishers honestly. Some routine strike they did, they/agent decide it looks really cool, and they see if it sticks as a finisher.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Breakdown was the Skull Crushing Finale. A full nelson instead of the Russian Legsweep shoulder and wrist hold.

The Flashback was that neck hook/sleeper slam he used to do to running guys. I don't think that was ever a finisher.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 10, 2020

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
While we're sort on the subject, I hate the roll of the dice and want Cody to have a new impact finish even tho he hits it better than anyone and even tho it's not quite as ubiquitous a meaningless finisher as the overdrive was it still signifies Creative Has Nothing For You to me for some damned reason

What was the last impact finisher that really stood out to you?

And why does Cody keep doing the Last loving Rites

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What do we define as an impact finisher?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

While we're sort on the subject, I hate the roll of the dice and want Cody to have a new impact finish even tho he hits it better than anyone and even tho it's not quite as ubiquitous a meaningless finisher as the overdrive was it still signifies Creative Has Nothing For You to me for some damned reason

What was the last impact finisher that really stood out to you?

And why does Cody keep doing the Last loving Rites

Maybe as a tribute to Daniels the man who invented it and had it cruelly stolen away by Reno.

Also it looks really good when Cody does it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Davros1 posted:

Any power bomb against Kidman?

Please tell me Kidman was successfully powerbombed in his retirement match

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

What do we define as an impact finisher?

Not a submission, and not a strike I guess? WWE is really into strike finishers lately.

It's probably Murphy's Law. That looks cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well in that case I've always had a soft spot for the Steiner Screwdriver. Just looks like absolute murder.