Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the girls in mushoku tensei are really good and impossibly patient with the irredeemable protag so its that kind of story a lot of people get sucked into whether they want to or not. you know how it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Erg posted:

Yeah

From what I remember it was pretty simple power fantasy “I have a status screen and know how to grind up everything so I’m the best”. I think the most interesting thing about it is it features an affair

Mushoku Tensei doesn't have any game elements, so I'm not sure what you're confusing it with. What it does have is the grossest opening chapter in the history of web novels, which tends to shed like half the potential readership immediately, so it'll be interesting to see how the anime adaptation deals with it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you had me at gross. sold

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Oops, I recant my video games statement thing. It is merely a power fantasy where the protag masters magic and also probably swords

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
once again it's just being oversold by the webnovels thread posters even though the existing adaptations already tone it down. its nothing new. the protag is introduced as a neet who's in his room whacking it instead of going to his parents' funeral, then his surviving family kicks him out of the house and gets truck'd and thinks "here lies me. never scored. maybe if i'm born again," and then he's born again.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 10, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

unsold

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

once again it's just being oversold by the webnovels thread posters even though the existing adaptations already tone it down. its nothing new. the protag is introduced as a neet who's in his room whacking it instead of going to his parents' funeral, then his surviving family kicks him out of the house and gets truck'd and thinks "here lies me. never scored. maybe if i'm born again," and then he's born again.
wait, a dude jacking off is the grossest opening chapter ever?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

wait, a dude jacking off is the grossest opening chapter ever?

Yeah, after Rent-a-Girlfriend, that ain't poo poo.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1314402210826997760?s=20

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is my mind playing tricks on me? The MC dies not due to truck-kun but due to the very real world problem of Karoshi? :stare:

Like I know it's probably going to get glossed over after the first episode but holy gently caress.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres a ton of isekai where the mc dies to overwork

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wark Say posted:

Is my mind playing tricks on me? The MC dies not due to truck-kun but due to the very real world problem of Karoshi? :stare:

Like I know it's probably going to get glossed over after the first episode but holy gently caress.
Yeah I saw that too. Holy :lol:
Though, I guess it makes sense that in The Next World the office lady decides to take it easy and live a stress-free bucolic life.

I can't believe there's a Mundane SuperLevelling genre now. Will it be as sweet as Bofuri? Looks like she befriends the dragon and it becomes her live-in kawaii friend?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

theres a ton of isekai where the mc dies to overwork
Yeah no doubt that shosetsuka ni naro and similar websites have their work cut out for them on that regard that a lot of their writers are coming from a similar place (and a lot of them loving wish that they didn't have to deal with those draconian working hours in the first place) but I don't recall an Isekai/Tensei novel actually addressing that when getting adapted to an anime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I've read that manga. It's alright IMO. The tone is a little bit like if Maidragon was less insightful but also less uncomfortably fond of shotacon/lolicon. Big focus on found family fantasy sitcom stuff. Plus they got Aoi Yuuki for the MC IIRC, which should be fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

I can't believe there's a Mundane SuperLevelling genre now. Will it be as sweet as Bofuri? Looks like she befriends the dragon and it becomes her live-in kawaii friend?

She adopts two slime elemental daughters and raises them with her dragon apprentice and the elven alchemist who sort of tags along after inventing energy drinks.

They are occasionally visited by the demon Minister of Agriculture, who just kind of stumbled into her role and has nothing better to do than hang out with them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lemon-Lime posted:

Plot rundown
This sounds amazing!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the idea of slime mom is kinda fun but i found the execution in the manga super boring, most of the character dynamics outside like a couple felt kinda one note and the gag where she and the sexy elf go to the forest and the elf gets high on mushrooms and chases her around while she screams about how she's not gay kinda sucked.

not that i'm trying to cancel it or w/e it was just kind of a boring joke that turned me off any core appeal it had for me. maybe i'll enjoy the anime more tho idk

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 10, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I also found the slime mom manga pretty boring unfortunately.

i'll give it a shot though, you never know with adaptations, especially comedy ones.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Yashahime Episode 2: I defineitly found this episode better than the first one, as it adds in the mystery of what happened to the old cast, and why some characters don't recognize the children of others (Kohaku with Moroha). I also found it to be better animated than the first, and I enjoyed all three of the main girls, especially Moroha. I'm going to be sticking to this series for a while.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like Towa as a protagonist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1314990475418492936

yeah the new love live is good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jujutsu Kaisen seems good, very 90's shounen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Love Live is good and manages to feel like Love Live yet also be different

Latest Yashahime is good too

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

moroha (maybe) finally getting to meet her grandmother and the rest of the extended family, wonder if she'll recognize them as such

yashahime really setting a good balance between acknowledging the history behind the series and forging all new paths that do not require someone to have watched a hundred hours of the previous show to understand what's going on

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

starbucks hermit posted:

moroha (maybe) finally getting to meet her grandmother and the rest of the extended family, wonder if she'll recognize them as such

yashahime really setting a good balance between acknowledging the history behind the series and forging all new paths that do not require someone to have watched a hundred hours of the previous show to understand what's going on

i'm still wondering why kohaku and hisui don't recognize moroha.

also wondering where sesshomaru (and by extension, the mother) is in the flashback with towa and setsuna.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

oh, there's a thread for this, sorry

Willo567 posted:

i'm still wondering why kohaku and hisui don't recognize moroha.

also wondering where sesshomaru (and by extension, the mother) is in the flashback with towa and setsuna.

Although I can see some people getting frustrated by this, I'm amazed at how the omission of information and unexpected behavior between the protagonists is causing an incredible amount of good speculation.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Space Flower posted:

That actually sounds very funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mushoku provides an excellent example of why most isekai reincarnation stories nowadays skip infancy. an adult mind in an infant body is really loving creepy, and mushoku plays that up as an attempt at humor.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

An abomination indeed

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mushoku provides an excellent example of why most isekai reincarnation stories nowadays skip infancy. an adult mind in an infant body is really loving creepy, and mushoku plays that up as an attempt at humor.

Boss baby

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
overall, i'd say mushoku tensei has some unsavory parts, but is otherwise okay. the mc is a gross creep on the inside, but the story acknowledges what he is instead of presenting it as a bizarre masculine ideal like so many other isekai webnovels.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen seems good, very 90's shounen.
First two episodes had a faint YYH vibe and that's like my loving catnip.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the manga adaptation i read did at least have its cake and eat it too in that every single time he had one of those horny delusions it was undercut with a heavy dose of him realizing what a creep and loser he is for doing so and there was a genuinely huge amount of weight behind his drive to actually become a decent human being i thought

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Mushoku Tensei is also one of the rare isekais where the MC realizes that he has issues, and tries to grow outta it and make up for his past life. He relapses a bunch too, but honestly, that's more accurate to life than someone changing with one experience. It also sets out to do what it states it will, narrate a guy's life from his birth to his death, so the ending actually just ends with world plot threads incomplete because one dude can't do everything, but he dies content knowing he did as best as he could

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also love live is good

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbh the only reason I'll probably watch Mushoku Tensei is because the animation in that teaser trailer looks amazing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Allarion posted:

Also love live is good

I can't believe Love Live is Sakura Taisen now.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

wow i didnt think big isekai had the technology to make cute dude protags

shark teeth is good too

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I am having the nostalgic time of my life watching the Dai no Daibouken remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I take it back DanMachi sucks again, all the characters are awful. :mad: