Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Branding bro, millitia in americana are heroic fight the british kind who only take up arms when tyranny or outsiders[native americans] are about. A group enshrined in the american constitution.

You dont want to give them easy propaganda for the stupid part of the populace.

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about calling these groups domestic terrorists because of how that label could be given real teeth which can then be turned on other groups. Remember how Trump was trying to call ANTIFA domestic terrorists?

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1314977364670021633?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
as we know, the right only care about precedent, as I learned on my favorite show the West Wing

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

as we know, the right only care about precedent, as I learned on my favorite show the West Wing

I mean Barr literally tried and failed to get it classified as a terror organization because there were no clear laws in place

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KitConstantine posted:

I mean Barr literally tried and failed to get it classified as a terror organization because there were no clear laws in place

I mean a newspaper calling them something isn’t exactly legal precendent.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean a newspaper calling them something isn’t exactly legal precendent.

not directly, but newspeak is a form of thought control

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

silentsnack posted:

not directly, but newspeak is a form of thought control

Militias are already illegal (and almost always right wing), so why do we need to change the terminology?

"Domestic terrorists" is a broader term and already one that's been used to try to attack antifacists. I don't see the utility in potentially giving it more teeth.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

KitConstantine posted:

Militias are already illegal (and almost always right wing), so why do we need to change the terminology?

"Domestic terrorists" is a broader term and already one that's been used to try to attack antifacists. I don't see the utility in potentially giving it more teeth.

"we" aren't changing terminology though. If a significant fraction of the media stop actively helping to legitimize white supremacist gangs and downplay rightwing violence, then it'll be a harder for said white supremacists to keep operating in the open like they have been for decades. especially when police have to answer questions as to why they're helping "terrorists".

e: not saying I actually expect the majority of media to stop. just pointing out the consequence of how changing a word shapes public consciousness.

silentsnack has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Oct 10, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

For people of a certain age "militia" conjures the image of white supremacist extremists thanks to the 90s.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

KitConstantine posted:

"militias are already illegal" where did you get this notion? it isn't true at all

tens of millions of americans equate "militia" with "the good guys" because of the wording of the 2nd amendment.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Also, legal militias still exist. I know NY has a standing milita and several other states do as well. They are called something like NY state guard or something and not associated with the national guard which is part of the reserves.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah but state organizations are different from "we meet in the woods on this guy's property to do target practice and talk about killing the governor of michigan, we're a real group with legal status because we said so".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah but state organizations are different from "we meet in the woods on this guy's property to do target practice and talk about killing the governor of michigan, we're a real group with legal status because we said so".

and again there was nothing illegal about them doing that until they talked about killing the governor. A militia as far as I know has no legal definition beyond what ever laws the various National Guards are formed under.

Hell they'd probably have been fine if they basically skirted the outright calling for the murder/kidnapping of a member of government and instead kept it to vague threatening noises about the guberment and taking over when the poo poo hits the fan and all that.

KitConstantine posted:

Posts like THESE is why the terminology in the news needs to change, because militia comes with a connotation of some sort of legality instead of just describing "a group of armed people run by a non-state entity"

Defenestrategy has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Oct 10, 2020

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

For people of a certain age "militia" conjures the image of white supremacist extremists thanks to the 90s.

Yeah, I hear "militia" in an American context and I assume that they're either Posse Comitatus or The Covenant, the Sword, and the Arm of the Lord white supremacists.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

and again there was nothing illegal about them doing that until they talked about killing the governor. A militia as far as I know has no legal definition beyond what ever laws the various National Guards are formed under.

Hell they'd probably have been fine if they basically skirted the outright calling for the murder/kidnapping of a member of government and instead kept it to vague threatening noises about the guberment and taking over when the poo poo hits the fan and all that.

Posts like THESE is why the terminology in the news needs to change, because militia comes with a connotation of some sort of legality instead of just describing "a group of armed people run by a non-state entity"

The below goes into it but private militias are in fact constrained in many states by law, banned in Wyoming, and the 2nd amendment interpretation that many base their existence on has been rejected by the supreme court.

https://law.jrank.org/pages/10067/Second-Amendment-PRIVATE-MILITIAS.html

I also agree with the other posters that the word militia brings to mind right wing extremists rather than any sort of legal entity. I would guess most non-2nd amendment weirdos would have the same interpretation these days. Militias aren't mainstream at all.

Edit: also how about we just change the connotation of militia completely to just mean "organized violent right wing extremists" then? It's already pretty universally true

KitConstantine has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Oct 10, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I hear "militia" in an American context and I assume that they're either Posse Comitatus or The Covenant, the Sword, and the Arm of the Lord white supremacists.

this has nothing to do with your age and everything to do with your ideological outlook.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

The below goes into it but private militias are in fact constrained in many states by law, banned in Wyoming, and the 2nd amendment interpretation that many base their existence on has been rejected by the supreme court.

https://law.jrank.org/pages/10067/Second-Amendment-PRIVATE-MILITIAS.html

I also agree with the other posters that the word militia brings to mind right wing extremists rather than any sort of legal entity. I would guess most non-2nd amendment weirdos would have the same interpretation these days. Militias aren't mainstream at all.

Edit: also how about we just change the connotation of militia completely to just mean "organized violent right wing extremists" then? It's already pretty universally true

there's a pretty loving wide gulf between "banned in wyoming" and blanket illegality, you just underscored the point I was making. do you think america has some kind of pure homogenous culture? why do you think commonly-described armed militia were allowed to storm michigan's statehouse unmolested?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

there's a pretty loving wide gulf between "banned in wyoming" and blanket illegality, you just underscored the point I was making. do you think america has some kind of pure homogenous culture? why do you think commonly-described armed militia were allowed to storm michigan's statehouse unmolested?

Because the cops didn't stop them. Doesn't mean it was legal for them to do so, just means the cops didn't do anything about it. The way the group was handling their weapons could easily be seen as grounds for arrest without them being defined as "domestic terrorists". Or do you think the cops would have done something different if they were called that?

And also "regulated by law in many states" is in there too. I'm American and grew up in a rural area, I'm well aware it's not a homogenous culture. I also don't think there's some vast national support for the existence of militias as a concept.

Edit: also militias are banned in Michigan by the way. Weird that the cops still didnt do poo poo. From Georgetown law:

Is it legal to act as a private militia in Michigan?
No. All 50 states prohibit private, unauthorized militias and military units from engaging in activities reserved for
the state militia, including law enforcement activities. Some, including Michigan, also prohibit paramilitary activity
during or in furtherance of a civil disorder. Michigan’s laws are described below:
Michigan Constitution: The Michigan Constitution forbids private military units from operating outside state
authority, providing that “[t]he military shall in all cases and at all times be in strict subordination to the civil
power.” Mich. Const. art. I, § 7.

Michigan Statutes:
Prohibition on paramilitary activity: It is a felony in Michigan to either:
(1) “teach or demonstrate to another person the use, application, or construction of any firearm, or any explosive or
incendiary device, if that person knows, has reason to know, or intends that what is taught or demonstrated will be used in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder,” or
(2) “assemble with 1 or more persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with, or being instructed in the use
of any firearm, or any explosive or incendiary device, if that person intends to use that firearm or device in, or in
furtherance of, a civil disorder.” Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.528a.
Prohibition on falsely assuming functions of a peace officer: It is also a crime in Michigan for any person who is not a “peace
officer” to “[p]erform the duties of a peace officer.” A “peace officer” includes a sheriff, deputy sheriff, police
officer, federal or state law enforcement officer, and security employee, among others. Mich. Comp. laws § 750.215.

KitConstantine has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Oct 10, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

okay, you can "well actually" the 150 or so militia groups that operate openly all over the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_militia_organizations_in_the_United_States

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

okay, you can "well actually" the 150 or so militia groups that operate openly all over the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_militia_organizations_in_the_United_States

Neat how them existing openly doesn't make them legal or socially acceptable to be a member of.

Gangs exist too, bet you can even find a wikipedia article listing them. Weirdly they don't get this benefit of the doubt though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's like you live in a cartoon or something, just saying "they're illegal!!!" makes them go poof

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Also, legal militias still exist. I know NY has a standing milita and several other states do as well. They are called something like NY state guard or something and not associated with the national guard which is part of the reserves.

and most of those state militias/guards don't even have weapons. They're basically the backup for the national guard. And the ones that do have weapons training, do it with the national guard, not in jim bob's backyard lol

so its not really the same at all as chud militias

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

why do you think commonly-described armed militia were allowed to storm michigan's statehouse unmolested?

because the cops themselves are a bunch of white supremacist militia freaks

you think they would have let a black militia do that? lol

Rah! has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Oct 10, 2020

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

it's like you live in a cartoon or something, just saying "they're illegal!!!" makes them go poof

Where am I saying they don't exist?

This whole discussion is about whether calling them domestic terrorists does anything. If the laws as they exist aren't enforced changing what they are referred to as to something else won't do anything either, and could in fact harm groups that aren't currently illegal, like ANTIFA or BLM.

The fact that current laws aren't enforced doesn't change that private militias are loving illegal. The fact that they are almost exclusively populated by chuds gives you a clue why those laws aren't enforced tho.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

what

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

many tens of millions of americans hear "militia" and think "the good guys" and y'all's plan of action is to say well gosh they're just WRONG lmao

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

many tens of millions of americans hear "militia" and think "the good guys" and y'all's plan of action is to say well gosh they're just WRONG lmao

and many tens of millions of americans think the exact opposite

wow are you saying theyre just WRONG lmao

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

really reaching there dude

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Many tens of millions of people are loving racist assholes why the gently caress do they get to define anything?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

among themselves, they actually do though, how is this a hard concept to get across?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

what militia are u in

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

is it utterly impossible for you to look at anything objectively? are you just not able to do that?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

among themselves, they actually do though, how is this a hard concept to get across?

Why do they get to dictate how everyone else uses the term though? That's my question.

Those same people probably wouldn't agree to call those groups domestic terrorists either so switching the terminology wouldn't change their minds anyway, so why do it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

they don't give a poo poo how YOU use the term, why are you not getting this?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

someone please think of the militias

they are hard working american patriots

this slander must stop

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

why are you not getting this?

lmao

:ironicat:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Why do they get to dictate how everyone else uses the term though? That's my question.

Those same people probably wouldn't agree to call those groups domestic terrorists either so switching the terminology wouldn't change their minds anyway, so why do it?
The point isn't to get them to agree the point is to harass and bully them. Same as all terminology. It's the only useful thing to do to militia types. You call them terrorists because it gets them mad. No other useful reason to refer to them with anything in particular.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rah! posted:

someone please think of the militias

they are hard working american patriots

this slander must stop

how are you getting "that guy supports militias and thinks they are good" from anything I have ever posted? really seriously?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

they don't give a poo poo how YOU use the term, why are you not getting this?

I wasn't aware that everyone in the world had to agree on a thing being bad before it was bad. I still think white supremacists are bad even though they disagree. What's your arguement here?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

consider this another way. do you think it is good when media uses the terms "thug" or "animal" to refer to any given black criminal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Flesh Forge posted:

Telling you my plan of action is terrible opsec for starters